Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Thanks for the replies, I'll gladly take that offer. Can anyone tell me what's the maximum number of players I can tag? For example, will a quarterfinals post still be considered a mass tag?
Non badged users can tag 5 ppl max in one post

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why I get random hide tags inside my hide tags on my trade thread breaking the hide tag. I'm 100% there are no extra hide tags inside them when I hit submit, I've visually checked and used Ctrl+F to look for them, but after submitting it adds 1-2 tags with nothing between them in. Any info and/or solutions?

Also now when I click edit on my first post of my trade thread I get the error:
oh no, there is a problem with smogon
And the img is really big. May too many edits in a period of time trying to fix the tag issue?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why I get random hide tags inside my hide tags on my trade thread breaking the hide tag. I'm 100% there are no extra hide tags inside them when I hit submit, I've visually checked and used Ctrl+F to look for them, but after submitting it adds 1-2 tags with nothing between them in. Any info and/or solutions?

And the img is really big. May too many edits in a period of time trying to fix the tag issue?
For your second issue, are you getting error 502? If yes, your BB code is glitching. Go into the user tag, click preferences and uncheck "use the rich text editor to create and edit messages". Come back and it should be fine.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
This is a BB code glitch and happens when hide tags get mixed up with other tags, in the case of your post (if I'm looking at the right version in the edit history):
You can't fix this in the rich text editor, only in the raw BB code editor (either click on the wrench in the upper right corner of the textbox to switch editors, or set your forum settings to make the raw BB code editor the default by going to account settings -> Preferences -> uncheck "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages"), so just use that editor and clean up the excessive tags (click the Help button in the lower right corner of the forums to read more about BB code).

This is caused by the same BB code glitch (a tag not being closed off properly and the forum choking on it when trying to parse it), you can edit your post if you set your forum settings to the raw BB code editor, which will allow you to remove the excessive tags. Your post had a bunch of broken strings in it and random size / center tags everywhere:

I went ahead and removed all the excessive size and center tags from your post (I also had to remove all the bold because it kept breaking, didn't expect I'd have to though and not really sure what was going on there :\); in the future, if you're writing a post with a lot of formatting, try writing out your post first and applying the formatting after, and make significant edits in the raw BB code editor if you're comfortable using that one. Or just try being more conservative with formatting in general honestly, especially the size tags really aren't necessary but can break posts very easily if you're not careful.

How do I get rid of the "formerly name" thing beneath my name, if that's even possible .
This “formerly name” custom title is attained when your name is changed. If it has been over a month since your name has been changed you can ask a Super Moderator or Adminstrator to remove the custom title.

TL;DR: I think there is a bug in the Forums Search function, some threads don't show up.

Hello, I would like to report a bug concerning the Search function of the Forums:
For instance, let's take this thread (a "Drifblim (Uber Baton Pass)" analysis, located for reference in Content Creation>Contributions & Corrections> Archives >Locked / Outdated Analyses, but I don't think that plays anything, as will be made clear in the following.)
If I go to the Search and enter (without the ' '): 'Drifblim Uber Baton Pass', and search the entire forums ("Search Everything" or "Search Threads and Posts" tabs) with just the "Search titles only" checkbox checked, this thread does not show up (No results). If I search the threads made by its author, here MeteorMiss , this thread does not show up in the results either (even though some other thread created by this user shows up)!

I tried with another thread located in Content Creation>Contributions & Corrections> Archives >Locked / Outdated Analyses too, the following one in the list: Breloom (Focus Sash Lead) (WIP). The same exact thing happens, the thread does not show up in results, when search in everything by title only, and does not show up in its user started threads search either.

So one could think this is because it's threads located in Content Creation>Contributions & Corrections> Archives >Locked / Outdated Analyses, but no. Because here is another thread from there, Focus Sash Mienshao, that does show up in search. Also in its user started threads search.

So if anyone has an idea why some threads do not show up in Search, or how to fix it, I'd be happy to know :)
It's a pity that some of the content created would not show up in searches.
One could argue that they are available from Google (I tried, it works, they are indexed), but it still doesn't allow for instance to search for all threads by a given user and be sure to find them all, which is the goal of the search function, that otherwise works pretty well.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Since the competitive moves for USUM have been leaked, can we have a speculation thread for the OU like the RU and NU did?
Gary pls make me happy

Last edited:
Hey, so I’m relatively new to the whole competitive scene. I understand the basics of creating a “perfect Pokémon” and I’ve done it once in the past, but that was several years ago and I need some refreshing. Essentially, my question is, if you’re iv breading, if both parents have the same perfect iv’s, is it even possible to get a Pokémon with more iv’s? Or do you need two parent Pokémon with differing types to gain those specific iv’s? Like, if I have two parents both with perfect Attack, Sp. Def. and Speed, if I breed them together with one holding an everstone and the other a destiny knot, is it even possible to get a Pokémon with, say, a perfect HP iv. Or any other for that matter. Or would I need a parent with an HP iv first? Or is it just very rare? I know it takes a while but I’ve already filled up 5 boxes and I’ve only gotten up to 3 iv’s...

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I tried looking around but didn’t see any others that fit better.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, so I’m relatively new to the whole competitive scene. I understand the basics of creating a “perfect Pokémon” and I’ve done it once in the past, but that was several years ago and I need some refreshing. Essentially, my question is, if you’re iv breading, if both parents have the same perfect iv’s, is it even possible to get a Pokémon with more iv’s? Or do you need two parent Pokémon with differing types to gain those specific iv’s? Like, if I have two parents both with perfect Attack, Sp. Def. and Speed, if I breed them together with one holding an everstone and the other a destiny knot, is it even possible to get a Pokémon with, say, a perfect HP iv. Or any other for that matter. Or would I need a parent with an HP iv first? Or is it just very rare? I know it takes a while but I’ve already filled up 5 boxes and I’ve only gotten up to 3 iv’s...

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I tried looking around but didn’t see any others that fit better.
The above reply is not strictly true, destiny knot means that IVs for 5 of the different stats will be passed down from the parents to the offspring, but there is a 1/32 chance of the 6th, randomly generated stat being a 31. I'd probably recommend checking out a guide such as this one (especially the "Breeding Perfect Pokemon" part, and the example), and also making sure to follow the link there to help you get a flawless Ditto. Also, in the future, you'd be better off using the Wi-Fi Simple Questions Simple Requests (SQSR) thread for questions like this that pertain to breeding and raising Pokemon in-game.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Is there hidden threads to non-badged users in policy review? The last message I can see there was October 29, but it says the last message was last Friday

Also how come sometimes when I’m following a thread it just stops giving me alerts for it?

Is there hidden threads to non-badged users in policy review? The last message I can see there was October 29, but it says the last message was last Friday

Also how come sometimes when I’m following a thread it just stops giving me alerts for it?
I'm fairly certain these are from the Blind Voting section, which is where voting for suspect tests occurs, rather than a post in the main Policy Review subforum.

The posts are in blind voting most likely; Policy review is for the public badge holder discussion.

For the threads, if you didn't click on an alert for it it won't show you any future messages. You can get back up to date with the watched threads feature. It's under the forums tab, second from the right.

Quick question, are specific Pokémon more likely to have certain better iv’s? Like would a Chancey be more likely to have a better HP iv, just as a random example. I’m pretty sure that they’re not but I wanted to check before potentially wasting another 6 hours trying to find the wrong Pokémon. And Google didn’t come up with anything so...

Also, LegoFigure11, I tried to use that other thread for this but it said it was closed off and no longer open for replies.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Quick question, are specific Pokémon more likely to have certain better iv’s? Like would a Chancey be more likely to have a better HP iv, just as a random example. I’m pretty sure that they’re not but I wanted to check before potentially wasting another 6 hours trying to find the wrong Pokémon. And Google didn’t come up with anything so...

Also, LegoFigure11, I tried to use that other thread for this but it said it was closed off and no longer open for replies.
tldr no, it's complete random chance and no mon is more likely to have certain IVs than any other, with the exception of wild-caught Pokemon in the Undiscovered Egg Group - these are guaranteed to have 31 IVs in at least 3 of their stats. However as you are talking about breeding, the only real practical use of this is catching wild Baby Pokemon in Pokemon X and Y (from ORAS onwards they no long have 3 guaranteed 31's for Baby Pokemon) and then evolving them to use as higher IV'd parents.

Re: SQSR thread - you missed the old one by only a few hours. It has since been closed and a new one has been reopened, which can be found here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 4)