Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon Simple Questions!

There are a few guidelines for posting in this thread:
  1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon rules, but I will reiterate again: do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
If you have any general Smogon or competitive Pokemon related questions, feel free to ask them here. If your question relates to base stats, moves, egg moves, or abilities, it's a good idea to check out this, as well as the check out the closed research forum (and a past gens research thread).

We'll do our best to answer any and every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a more specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here's a link to the many other SQSAs for different forums:

If your question pertains to any of those specific areas, please use those SQSAs. If not, then feel free to use this one ^.^

Check the FAQ of Smogon, and see if you can find your answers there!

If you have any suggestions for Smogon here's some of the stuff that's been suggested already:
Can we delete inactive accounts with 0 posts?

We're not deleting inactive accounts because chances are an older user could return and want their account back. The most that'll probably be done is name changes if a user is desperate for the name. But in general a purge is very unlikely in the near future.

Can we enable likes in Smogon conversations?

This feature costs money that we don't have unfortunately. Plus, the admins are programming more important things for the site, too.

Can we have a dropbox to export older teams into?

It's currently not possible for XenForo. You can upload teams to files and then upload them to Dropbox to share with friends, but XenForo does not support this.

Can we add Tapatalk, or some other way to view Smogon better on the mobile?

chaos is currently too busy to be able to have the time to implement something like that. You can try to make something for us though!

Can we have a darker Smogon theme?

NMx13 designed one. This thread has instructions (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-dark-skin.3502839/) to add it in.

Can the search function look for three letter words?

Unfortunately not, but you can try to search on Google.

Can we have clans?

It's generally accepted that we won't have clans anytime in the future.

Can we have a ROM hacking forum?

We wouldn't get enough activity to really need a forum, as everyone goes to the other ROM hacking forums already and we'd have nothing new to offer.

Can we edit options in a poll?

Nope, Xenforo doesn't support that unfortunately!

Will we ever change the logo?

Nope, Smogon means Koffing in German, so unless we change the name there's... not really a point.

If you have a different suggestion, PM one of the admins your suggestion and don't post it here, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, but I heard that in ORAS it's possible to have HP Fire with a 31 IV speed stat. Is it true, or is it not? I tried google, but it kept on showing me XY stuff so it was pretty much useless.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm new to this whole thing, but I'd kind of like to make an educated guess at creating a team. In most games I approach this by creating a win condition, then a way to get to my win condition, then support for the win condition and hate for the metagame. In this process I've come across a question google doesn't seem to want to answer, and that is: "What are the most common leads in the current X/Y OU metagame?"

Google is giving me a lot of outdated answers and not really anything useful other than a unanimous "Talonflame".
I feel as though you would get more answers, asking here but I would say some are Greninja, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Rotom-W.

I may be wrong, but I heard that in ORAS it's possible to have HP Fire with a 31 IV speed stat. Is it true, or is it not? I tried google, but it kept on showing me XY stuff so it was pretty much useless.
I'm not ignoring your question by the way :( I just have no clue at all. Try asking here maybe?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A +1.5 boost to their Special Defense, part of the reason Tyranitar was believed to be a good Assault Vest user in early XY

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A +1.5 boost to their Special Defense, part of the reason Tyranitar was believed to be a good Assault Vest user in early XY
Believed to be. It is important that newer players know not to use assault vest on Tyranitar as it means that it cannot be your stealth rock setter or setup dragon dances. Also, a choice scarf has much more utility to trap or outspeed and KO ghost-types such as gengar. I know this wasn't directly related but I just wanted to point it out.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is EdgeQuake and how does it work?
Rock-type moves and Ground-type moves have great coverage in that they hit most types for neutral damage. For example, Stone Edge or Rock slide on ground-types hit Flying-types that are immune to their stab moves.

Kinda silly question about action replay:

If action replay is used on game, is that game permanently "tainted" so to speak? even after the file has been reset? For example, when AR is used on Fire Red / Leaf Green (any code/cheat), you can lose the ability to trade with R/S/E because the sapphire in the Sevii Isles will dissapear - a known problem with AR use on those games. But when you reset the file, the problem does not reoccur.

If a "clean" cartridge trades with a "tainted" one, does AR screw up the clean one or permanently mark it somehow?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)