Playoffs Smogon Tour 22 Play-offs - Finals [Won by BKC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulWind

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis the 6th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 32 Championwon the 9th Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Congratulations BKC! You deserved this.

Good job to Posho for making it to the final in your first appearance, quite an impressive run.

NightFox

Banned deucer.
Gratz BKC!

Y mis mas sinceras felicitaciones a ti también Posho. Te merecias mínimo llegar a la final luego de tanto tryhard y echadera de bolas. Que el fuego de la cumbia de Cyberodin el Samsom Pelom nunca se vaya de tus plumas.

I won, ggs posho

bw: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-219323
like posho said, this one was amazing, it came right down to the wire. I liked it! yes I should've sded vs scizor but the odds of losing to jellicent at that point were Astronomically low (garchomp was lum so no wisp + recover stuff) so wutevz.
oras: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-219327
haxy, to say the least, but it was tight.
we played dpp anyway because it's the last tour, gotta send it off http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-219358
we were just kinda screwing around but it's still a good one, worthy of being the last ever dpp game in tour imo (;___; I might cry, but more on that later)

I remember when we played for the finals of a dpp tour in the spring and you kicked my shit in. I always like seeing new players rise up and it's been great seeing you come from some guy who would repeatedly get smashed by malfoy in smogtours dpp friendlies to a tour finalist. you're gonna go far, man, keep it up. I've been in your position before and I know these words aren't exactly of great comfort to you right now but if you keep doing what you're doing success is coming your way. this paragraph probably comes off as mad patronizing but I promise I didn't mean it that way. this also goes for jimmy turtwig, whose dpp semis team stood out to me as rather excellent (god that game was so good man)

as for my own shoutouts: when ciele won last tour with absolutely no help at all, I was inspired... and did nothing of the sort because I'm not that strong willed. plus I'm a moron who gets paranoid and obsesses over stupid bullshit nonstop like "is max spatk/spe timid actually the best spread for specs latios?!?!" however I did do my best with the teams because even if they weren't all mine I did a lot more than go "hurr jirachee give me scarfchomp ttar + 4" for once.

so here's a ridiculously long list of shoutouts lol
Astamatitos: #1. I cannot begin to stress how good it is to have this guy in your corner. I know I can't draft to save my life in spl but I'd drop more on him than I would mcmeghan in his prime no lie. always being positive and giving fantastic tests and reassuring and a whole bunch of other shit. you're the best, man. time to get back into adv. UD is also in this corner, asking about magic guard and poison heal and shit lol

roscoe: my brother, I'll tell you my gen 4 team is ready and you fight me with cb dragonite lead that outrages against EVERYTHING and sd venusaur that rocks my shit and it's hilarious. also the double sr team with aero and heatran and subpass jolt and crocune that I can't fucking kill god how do these come into existence? so I think you're funny now. but yeah thanks man but you already know it

dice: "just use teams u like bitch" - advice I always give to other people (for good reason) and can never seem to follow myself. made the sick slowbro team I used r2 and saved that beautiful specsmence team I used in finals
jirachee - Today at 10:10 PM
WHY DID U USE THIS BAD TEAM IN BW
I FUCKING HATE U
FUCK U
Kevin - Today at 10:11 PM
LMFAO
jirachee - Today at 10:12 PM
IT WAS SO BAD
SOOOO BAD
Kevin - Today at 10:12 PM
guess who made it
dice
Kevin - Today at 10:12 PM
yea.
never ever use this again

uh, anyway... whenever you tell me you think a team I'm going to use is good I feel more confident. so, thanks, honey, ily.

Jirachee: how much more can I drool over this canadian genius... I had full confidence in your bw team had it gone to that vs jturt. never afraid to tell me about my teams containing memes such as rotom-w (which is outclassed by caterpie) and always quick to tell me "delete this" if a team sucked (which it usually did). ily you stupidass radiohead fan. but really... I'm going to kill you with that pen.

bro fist: how far we've come from the young days. man I should've brought johnkrow to the dpp game, it wasn't vs stall but my god. no switchins whatsoever. also U Rule at oras and make for Excellent tests and advice giving and such but you already know that, you colombino fuck. daredevil better be good

Jayde aka Akbreh: dd gliscor is fucking terrifying breh goodness. lo amoong is not Quite there. thanks for helping in brehck and whbrehte of course while maintaining the circlejbrehk or however it's spelled

Ciele: hugo? facts?? irony??? free sableye I fucking hate medicham

speaking of, Hugo: *coughs blood* m-my guy... here come the waterworks...

SoulWind: sorry I turned my brain off in bw and had to win the other way x_x you rock, borja, thanks for offering your services. must sound like a broken record by now but you Will get your indiv trophy

Philip7086: thanks for brainstorming with me, man. let's free latias so I can use team of torment... dpp will never die

Fakes: my dpp brother from back in the day, when all we used was semistall against each other lol. helped me test my r1 team and said it was excellent which gave me the confidence needed to use it, and convinced me to use am's old team in dpp in r2 when I was over-dissecting all my perfectly good ones, thinking they were garb. seriously everyone on this list has the experience needed to be a great psychiatrist because I get so paranoid in dpp you have no idea. your "just bring a good team and play" approach a la tesung is something I aspire to be able to do. would probably cut down on my worrying... anyway thanks bro as always

Osgoode/A7X/whatever your new smog name is: your cool head and knack for dpp makes you my go-to in a tough spot. thanks for, once again, reassuring me that 252/252 3 attacks spin lefties starmie is in fact ok. tentacruel is alright though... anyway yeah thanks b

Empo: kid you are so nasty at oras (and I assume sm). you kicked my ass on ladder a couple months ago and I'm so glad you did because having you around to bounce ideas off and test (even though half the time you bring ditto victini ho...) was excellent. you're gonna make waves around here b

[17:46:07] +blunderr: isnt bkc the captain of black white ou

it is so weird that you're one of the best of the best now bc I still remember you as barely above jasonpoon (ily jason if you read this), using shitty bw2 rain and generally being a punching bag for ctc both verbally and in-battle. but you're Kinda good at oras now. thanks for the help across the last 2 tours b you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps if you look deep enough there's a reason for my semis medicham nickname have fun

TDK: you're pretty ok, carsonist. nice year-old gard team even though you said it sucked! keep churning the teams out

ABR: nice timbs, b (and thanks for offering yourself for oras help even though I Really Would've Liked Knock Off On Tornadus, Lol (but fr ty, thanks for not suggesting hp fire on all my pokes and don't get absorbed by tagpro)). facts

also you and blunder call my megacham team top 5 oras and that Truly warms my heart, lol

Mael:
[10:25:58 pm] <~BKC> me: mael test with me. i'm using tspikes offense
[10:25:59 pm] <~BKC> mael: ok
[10:26:03 pm] <~BKC> mael: *brings tentacruel 15 times*

but yeah you were also fantastic. I like how those stupidass looking teams of yours actually work... the beauty of dpp. word up!!!!!!!!!!!! also sam and the rest of #overused :)

Shoka / McMeghan: last minute testing with me because you were online and I needed it. you stepped up to the challenge. incredible work. god bless. (no but fr, ty)

everyone else I might've forgotten, or supporters like ew/heist/undisputed/tof/the many posts in this thread or smogtours pms that warmed my heart: I appreciate you I promise!

um... so a little about the tour to make this post (kinda) Interesting. about a year ago (tour 20) I decided that I wasn't bad at this oras stuff, so maybe I should stop pretending I was retired because I was finally mature enough to admit to myself that I actually enjoyed playing pokemon. like, try fully to play right from the beginning. the seasons in between that and tour 16 I had played a lil bit and done okay for just messing around so I figured I could definitely do alright. I started off red hot and then hit a break about halfway through with some bad luck and, feeling a little overwhelmed with a lot of stuff, decided to call it quits around then, figuring I'd come back hard for tour 21, that tour being where my resurgence in bw and love for scarfchomp arrived. I ended up getting 1st seed (despite people telling me not to because I'd face flcl/sweepage) because I wanted to be a MAN and ended up losing to sweep in a pretty gosh-dang haxy bw game 3 (I could've played the end better, though, so partially on me, and sweep did make a very good call with his mew/jira/gyara combo. not that I'm not salty of course).

so come tour 22, I really wanted to win it, being the last dpp tour and all; despite my historically extremely hot and cold (mostly cold) oras performances, I thought it was doable with my renewed vigor for bw. in an Ironic Twist, my in-season oras carried me, and my dpp was downright awful! bw was pretty underwhelming too. idk how I managed to focus best in my worst tier. I actually had one of the best battles I can recall in the regular season against blunder: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-189919
fuck this one was nice. anyway, I'm struggling to get into playoffs thanks to my mediocre bw/dp. last week I manage to sneak in, relying in fact on an earlier version of the team I used vs posho. I would've quite liked to have won the last dpp tour but deepbluec did an excellent job there so no salt.

I was going to write about my games but idk how much I'd be able to without it turning into a full scale analysis which I def don't feel like doing. I will say however I legitimately had fun playing them, even if on occasion my best judgment eluded me and luck got involved. also the semis dpp game was absolutely amazing. kinda funny cause scarftran is so clearly the best variant in this meta but a 4 attack set and spdef set featured in that game and they each did great. some True DPP Shit right there, man

I am also kinda proud of how I went from getting absolutely slaughtered in oras r1 (I was doing so well in my tests and then I played Nothing like I did in those, good work kev way to go) to playing one of my best games in it in r2. that one felt good. of course I proceeded to turn my brain off in bw, making one mistake in an extremely volatile matchup (ugh... sun, man...) and meaning I had to resort to Other Methods, not proud of winning that way when it could've been done much differently. earthworm however would say it required skill to see the path to victory that still existed rather than giving up and he's relatively ok so there's that I spose. luck was on my side several times this tour though and I acknowledge that

now for the gen of the hour, dpp. I won't go in-depth here but I am gonna recap a lil somethin somethin. I came up in dpp, loving it from the first games I saw and played in it. when I came to smogon seeing the incredibly high level of it from all these players truly unlocked my competitive spirit and made me want to be the man. it's not flawless, and aspects of it have annoyed me over the years. however, I like to think that I showed at least somewhat that you don't win in this tier by getting lead matchup, having the most fortunate unrevealed poke, randomly hitting nve moves, making unnecessary flashy plays and whatever other random propaganda people who don't get the tier like to spew. oh like the fact that not having water resists is bad. my semis team was Literal heat lol...........

again, obviously it's not perfect. of course there are things that drive me (and others) crazy (pretty much all of them having to do with stealth rock in some way...), like in every tier ever. however, it's still my home and I love it both for what it is and what it's given me, so it's great to be able to win the last tour featuring it, especially cause I'm kinda known as a/the (if I may brag) dpp guy. it's not like it's going anywhere, adv's popularity attests to that, but at the same time, it is the end of an era. crazy to think it's been over 6 years since I joined my first dpp tours, during season 10. also crazy to think about how much the metagame has changed, it's almost unrecognizable. not that teams used back then wouldn't work now of course, it'd be up to the user to win with them.

back then I idolized philip7086 (clearly I had a lot to learn) and thought torment tran was the best poke ever. I remember playing heysup in uu; his lead drapion stopped my early game qwilfish and I ended up losing but from it I took away this sick turn where I killed his unrevealed kabutops with lo moltres hp grass. funnily I don't really remember my first win, it was pretty comfortable. however in rd 2 I was up vs mdragon, I let his starmie get away with recovering from my hp grass specs tran on turn 2 like a silly and then I couldn't get sr with pert (must've fucked up horribly lol give the teams) and I got walled. I remember getting stuffed by haldar's abomasnow, my stone edge loom missed his crobat which was upsetting but god that thing crushed me. what an experience. so many of those throughout the years, thanks to this game and this tier. but yeah, I'll save my full-length novel for another time. however, this shit does still need a sendoff. so, for anyone else who would like to cry with me, here are some of my personal favorite dpp games.

Earthworm vs. Gouki - 1st BotW
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...edestiny-vs-earthworm-suspect-warstory.72381/
Flamethrowa vs. CooltrainerAlex
WillisTheUnbreakable vs. Kevin Garrett
Philip7086 vs. panamaxis - WCoP '15 Rd. 2 decider
Jirachee vs. McMeghan - WCoP '16 qualifiers
Atticus vs. panamaxis (BotW)
locopoke vs. Carloo (Final of a Season 10 tour)
SoulWind vs. Sweepage (SPL 7 tiebreak)
Mukubird vs. Rawbi
Fisdunction vs. Simitar
Tamahome vs. Fakes (WCoP '14 qualifiers)

god I could go on forever, I'd go digging for more (from older times, mostly, since those are harder to initially find if they're not immediately on my mind; a lot are also in log form, and some are lost forever except for in my memory...) but it's kinda late. these, however, should do.

dpp: good night of sorts, my love, one day I'm going to have kids I don't know as well as I do you

(free latias word is bond)
(froslass too)

thanks to Svarožič, Zirnitra, Mara, Svetovid, Koschei, Perun and others. leremyju was right, I did need to get in touch with my slavic roots...

lastly I must mention my 2 main musical inspirations throughout this tour, helter skelter and das tor. more like das tour am I right lol ok I'm done now

thanks everyone!!!!!

Ban Scald

Damn, made me log in on my phone just to like your post. Great job BKC. Double Tour. That's amazing. You truly are one of the best of all time, and I'm happy the final DPP Tour trophy went to someone who started in that generation.

As always, I'm going to take credit in your success, for if it weren't for my Torment Tran team, you would not have been inspired to go to the next level. Furthermore, if I never tutored undisputed, you would've never gotten a tutor and would've faded into nothingness.

I'll take the triple highlight in your post as gratitude enough though. You're welcome, bro. Keep making me proud.

Btw, I told you that DPP team would work. Too bad it wasn't the set deciding match, though.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations BKC, well done and well deserved. Undoubtedly one of Smogon's best.

Congratulations Posho for making it so far, you've become a strong player and making it to the finals is no small feat. Keep reaching until you make it!

Congratulations man! Arguably the strongest player on this site at the moment.

I don't think I deserve as much praise either! Other than the slow U-turn Jirachi on your BW game with Fuga (which was only semi-useful) and the speed creep EVs on Skarmory to outspeed CBtar vs Jimmy I didn't contribute significantly towards team development. I did fancy however the occasional matchup testings we did during my downtime at work! All kudos to you my friend!

With stour over it's about damn time you focused on ADV OU, i.e 'the big boys' league.

Last edited:
Congratulations man! Arguably the strongest player on this site at the moment.

I don't think I deserve as much praise either! Other than the slow U-turn Jirachi on your BW game with Fuga (which was only semi-useful) and the speed creep EVs on Skarmory to outspeed CBtar vs Jimmy I didn't contribute significantly towards team development. I did fancy however the occasional matchup testings we did during my downtime at work! All kudos to you my friend!

With stour over it's about damn time you focused on ADV OU, i.e 'the big boys' league.
You and BKC dusty asses talking ya gods in ADV. IM THE REAL GOD, BEATING FLCL IN HOENN CUP PLAYOFFS!

No but, Congratulations Kevin! Well deserve G! <3 ❤

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)