Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
L33t stats in OU suggest no one is willing to pass the offer from Terrakion, despite Scizor taking both regular and leet statistics by storm. Dragonite's position in the standard OU is justified considering original players who want to explore teams outside of weather are brave stepping into such territory without Multi Scale + Lum Berry/Choice Band abuse.

Ubers in L33t is also corrupt somehow.

Tyranitar, Garchomp and Excadrill predictably are the "go to" synergy for Dream World. It's effectiveness in Standard OU has played a major part in influencing its prowess in DW OU.

I will take a closer look later on. Thanks again to Antar for t

Fucking... Virizon why'd it drop so damn low? Virizon is a hell of a Pokemon, gives rain all sorts of trouble, is a check to volt-turn (Sure, switch your scizor in. I have a Focus Blast waiting), can sweep and beat Blissey with CM! It's got a lot more going for it than Scrafty does, quite honestly!

Anyway, I got something more important and controversial to suggest. I'm really starting to worry that Terrakion may well be over-centralizing and should be considered for Uber by the council. Why? Well first off, it has risen in usage, but where it really shows is in 1337 stats, where Terrakion has a whopping 34% usage rate, 1% below Scizor... its most common check. My argument for over-centralization is much the same one I made for Excadrill months ago; if you don't have a dedicated check for it, you're screwed. You are FORCED to build a check into your team if you want to be successful (Scizor on most teams), and if you don't you can't succeed. Furthermore, unlike other threats that require being checked, very few Pokemon successfully check it, forcing you to run one of a few Pokemon. These few inlcude Scizor (obviously, but can't switch in and is ruined by sub SD variants if they manage to get both up), Slowbro, Starmie (can't switch into Stone Edge), Nidoqueen (lol) Conkeldurr (requires prior damage to revenge with Mach Punch), Hitmontop (can wall with intimidate and revenge with technician, but requires prior damage to revenge and can't take CB with intimidate), Tangrowth (+2 and prior damage means goodbye Tangrowth though) and maybe a couple other fast / priority wielding Pokemon I'm missing. What really puts this over the edge though is the fact that the vast majority of these checks are revenge killers, meaning that Terrakion can just switch out when they appear (usually after hammering them for half their health or killing a teammate) and come back later once they're weakened / eliminated. All the others can be worked past by Terrakion with a little prior damage and SD, or just muscled through with CB.

What all that means is that you're not just required to run one check for Terrakion to be successful. You're required to carry MULTIPLE checks, because a good player is very likely to be able to work their way past one. Obviously being forced to run multiple checks for one (extremely common) pokemon severely limits your teambuilding.

I honestly think it's one of the main factors contributing to the prevalence of Volt-Turn teams for a couple reasons too. Wait a second, it doesn't even get U-Turn you say! Well you know what DOES my friends? Many of his top checks, including Scizor, Scarf Rotom-W, Scarf Landorus, and Celebi. He also functions very well on Volt-Turn teams himself as they provide him with free opportunities to switch in (he has some trouble with that normally due to many common weaknesses and his vulnerability to status), and usually that's all he needs to start devastating opponents. So basically, one of the easiest ways to prepare for Terrakion is to make a Volt-Turn team, and one of the easiest ways to use Terrakion is to have a Volt-turn team. See the synergy? Without Terrakion people wouldn't feel so pressured to use Volt-Turn to win, and Volt-Turn will also lose one of its most potent weapons.

That being said, I'm not 100% convinced Terrakion is so over-centralizing it must go to Ubers. However, I do believe it is borderline enough a case to at least be put under the microscope. I don't know about you, but Terrakion has been the #1 headache for me trying to build teams ever since Deoxys-S went to Uber, as it severly limits my options for creative team building. That alone seems enough reason to at least weigh our options.

peng

fuck xatu
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I agree that Terrakion is insane in OU, but the fact that its 'over-centralizing' has never been a good argument to ban something. Its more the fact that there are 0 safe switch-ins to its Choice Band set, and if you just try sacing something weak to get a safe switch-in for Scizor or Landorus etc you could just end-up getting Substituted on. A well-played Terrakion can easily get a KO every time it switches in.

Nice to see Salamence so high in 1337 usage, but I'm surprised to see Magnezone down at #21 and Deoxys-D at #25. I expected both of those to be top 15 easily.

Thanks again, Antar!

Terakion hasa case of the Gen 4 Mence syndrome. You can't counter it until you know its set, and by then, it may be too late. You want to switch in Gliscor on a Scarf set, but it uses Rock Polish/Sword Dance and has Rock Gem Stone Edge? Its game over.

terrakion is not broken at all, each set has counters and while it may be "over centralizing" that doesn't make it bad for the metagame, it's used less than scizor no body ever claims that to be "over centralizing". Being used allot does not warrant a ban neither does being unpredictable. It does have nice synergy with volt-turn but so do most threats, terrakion is not the only pokemon that needs one turn of setup to destroy teams there is dragonite, salamence, cloyster, CM latios, haxorus and more yet none of those are being called broken. I think the issue with terrakion is that it came out of nowhere to be a top threat and while it has been around for a while new sets are appearing everywhere like the rock gem set or sub swords dance, if time is given for all viable terrakion sets to be thought up and used, then terrakion will seem like much less of an issue

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Gliscor switch-in to your Terrakion can be seen a mile away. Take that turn to Sustitute and or hope your Choice Band Stone Edge critical hits. This was why I always ran Substitute on the Air Balloon set back when we had the likes of Garchomp and Excadrill in OU.

You could manipulate the opportunity Terrakion's presense causes and how it forces the opponent has to react by setting up or double-switching. Sure, you can go to Scizor once you have lost a Pokemon, but imagine Babiri Berry or Focus Sash (~_^) taking out a second team member with little effort.

The boost in Special Defense in sandstorm is also admirable at times when normally you would not survive; Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and Gengar Focus Blast.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Virizion 55? What? That thing is a beast in combatting rain stall.

I agree that Terrakion is insane in OU, but the fact that its 'over-centralizing' has never been a good argument to ban something. Its more the fact that there are 0 safe switch-ins to its Choice Band set, and if you just try sacing something weak to get a safe switch-in for Scizor or Landorus etc you could just end-up getting Substituted on. A well-played Terrakion can easily get a KO every time it switches in.

Nice to see Salamence so high in 1337 usage, but I'm surprised to see Magnezone down at #21 and Deoxys-D at #25. I expected both of those to be top 15 easily.

Thanks again, Antar!
terrakion is not broken at all, each set has counters and while it may be "over centralizing" that doesn't make it bad for the metagame, it's used less than scizor no body ever claims that to be "over centralizing". Being used allot does not warrant a ban neither does being unpredictable. It does have nice synergy with volt-turn but so do most threats, terrakion is not the only pokemon that needs one turn of setup to destroy teams there is dragonite, salamence, cloyster, CM latios, haxorus and more yet none of those are being called broken. I think the issue with terrakion is that it came out of nowhere to be a top threat and while it has been around for a while new sets are appearing everywhere like the rock gem set or sub swords dance, if time is given for all viable terrakion sets to be thought up and used, then terrakion will seem like much less of an issue
@Both: Over-centralization IS and always HAS been an accepted argument for banning. One of the key reasons Excadrill was banned was over-centralization. Excadrill had checks just like Terrakion does, and was completely neutered if its respective weather wasn't up. However that meant that the metagame was completely centered around its checks and weather to the point where if you didn't have those you were done for. If we find that it's the same case for Terrakion (only with Volt-Turn instead of weather), then that'd be more than enough reason to send it off to Ubers.

@The QUAZ: Alright, I can discredit each and everyone one of your arguments in turn. Sorry to do this to you my fellow scrambler, but that was an exceptionally bad argument.

terrakion is not broken at all, each set has counters and while it may be "over centralizing" that doesn't make it bad for the metagame
Dealt with above, and I guess it's not bad for the metagame if you don't mind Volt-Turn everywhere.
it's used less than scizor no body ever claims that to be "over centralizing"
Comparing Scizor and Terrakion is like comparing apples and oranges. Scizor is primarily used so often as a CHECK, not as a threat. Over-centralization doesn't apply to the most used Pokemon, it applies to the Pokemon you're forced to build your team around. No one is forced to build their team around Scizor because its walled by 80% of the Physical walls in the game and revenged by every fire type in existance. You don't have to consider Scizor when building your team, which is why it's not considered over-centralizing. Terrakion on the other hand you HAVE to consider unless you're using Volt-Turn which comes with built in checks. Not to mention that you could argue one of the reasons Scizor usage is so high is BECAUSE of Terrakion.
Being used allot does not warrant a ban neither does being unpredictable.
This is correct! Alone, neither of those things warrants a ban. However if you combine unpredictability with the ability to punish severely for mispredicting, then you get a little closer. Combine that with yet more factors such as amazing typing, power, limited checks etc. and you get Terrakion.
It does have nice synergy with volt-turn but so do most threats, terrakion is not the only pokemon that needs one turn of setup to destroy teams there is dragonite, salamence, cloyster, CM latios, haxorus and more yet none of those are being called broken
Not one of those threats is as dangerous as Terrakion is with a free turn. Dragonite is easily walled, Salamence is much more easily revenged, cloyster is more easily walled and revenged, CM latios is more easily walled, Haxorus is more easily revenged. Finally, all of these are more predictable, or at least share counters with their more common sets, making switching into a counter much less risky. This is why Terrakion makes Volt-Turn so terrifying, the fact that once it comes in you're screwed if you make the wrong switch. It's made worse by the fact that Volt-Turn tends to wear down Terrakion checks...
I think the issue with terrakion is that it came out of nowhere to be a top threat and while it has been around for a while new sets are appearing everywhere like the rock gem set or sub swords dance, if time is given for all viable terrakion sets to be thought up and used, then terrakion will seem like much less of an issue
This makes no sense. New sets for Terrakion haven't been coming out for months, and its threat hasn't diminished at all. It doesn't need any more sets to be threatening. It being around longer isn't going to make it any less of a threat; by this point we know Terrakion front and back and we STILL can't stop it reliably. Furthermore, when Terrakion first emerged as a top threat people WEREN'T panicking about it being broken. No, it's over time we've come to realize the terror it is. At first everyone was like "meh, Terrakion, nothing compared to Excadrill" then "Eh, without Deoxys-S it'll be easier to deal with" and time has shown this to not be the case on either front. Far from time making it appear less of a threat, it's made it appear MORE of a threat as people start to appreciate just how few things can stop it.

Anyway, just to temper what I just said I'm not necessarily in favour of banning it immediately. I AM in favour of a discussion before the OU council so we can work this out for sure though. It's pretty damn clear to anyone who plays OU regularly that Terrakion is probably the top threat in the metagame today. We can't afford to just leave it be, this needs further investigation.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I agree with Jimera0 about Terrakion needing a suspect round.

The list of Pokemon that can actually switch-in on CB Terrakion without getting 2HKOed are:
Cofagrigus
Cresselia
Dusclops
Gligar
Golurk
Nidoqueen
Qwilfish (Intimidate)
Shelgon
Tangela

Remove Nidoqueen & Qwilfish if Terrakion has Earthquake
Gligar can only hit it with a EQ from a feeble 186 Attack. Shelgon can only Phaze with Roar or Dragon Tail. Cofagrigus, Dusclops, & Tangela can only hope and pray that Will-O-Wisp or Sleep Powder hits.

Cresselia and Golurk are the only true counters to it, using the term "counter" very lightly here as they both take upward of 70% from 2 Stone Edges, leaving no room for error.

And then there's Hazards and Sand damage...

Once Keldeo gets released, I know that either Terrakion or Keldeo is getting the boot as there's absolutely no way any team can handle Band Terrakion & Specs Keldeo at the same time. The metagame would just implode at that point.

You can argue DW OU is okay with both, but DW OU has Excadrill, Garchomp, and Shadow Tag Chandelure making Choice-locked Rock and Fighting moves absolutely TERRIBLE in the tier so DW OU doesn't have the same problem OU has with Terrakion. But I suppose what happens with Keldeo still remains to be seen.

And that's without getting into the can of worms that is the fact Terrakion can run any set it damn-well feels like. SubSD with Rock Gem pretty much dismantles any common Terrakion switch-ins, even dealing with Gliscor with ease should it get a Sub up on the switch.

Well Scizor is beaten by damn near every Fire-type in the game not weak to Superpower (It's an exaggeration, I know, but you get the point,) Steels like Skarmory, Bulky Ghost- or Water-types, and the dozens of Pokemon like Celebi & Rotom-W that commonly carry HP Fire.
Terrakion, on the other hand, is beaten by absolute fuck-all, the most extreme degree of nothing. Anything that CB Terrakion can't 2HKO (All nine of them) get absolutely blasted by SubSD + Rock Gem.

It almost entirely breaks the system of checks and counters as nothing can switch into Terrakion twice. If a faster Pokemon isn't OHKOed by CB Terrakion, it is 2HKOed, meaning it can't switch-in twice. If a slower Pokemon is only 3HKOed, Terrakion attacks it on the switch, switches back out, comes back in and KOes it guaranteed the next time it comes in as it can't take 2 more attacks.

The difference between Dragonite, Haxorus, or Salamence and Terrakion is that Terrakion doesn't lock itself into it's STAB move for 2-3 turns. You can't revenge Terrakion without Dugtrio. He can just switch right out. But the only way too beat Terrakion is to revenge him. Do you see that massive flaw?

The difference between Cloyster or Latias and Terrakion is that Terrakion is not only naturally fast, he's naturally powerful with near perfect coverage in his STAB attacks alone. Besides, Latias has a Base 90 STAB and Base 70 Coverage move? Oh that's cute. Terrakion has a Base 120 STAB and a Base 100 STAB for coverage.

None of the Pokemon you're comparing Terrakion to can actually be compared to Terrakion.

You're severely underestimating the community when you say that we haven't adjusted to Terrakion. We know exactly what we're dealing with and unless we all start using Cresselia or Nidoqueen, we've adjusted as far as we can.

Terrakion needs to go.

Voltturn is popular because it's easy to use, basically builds your team for you, constantly gives you momentum, matches well vs almost everything and finally everything that abuses it are great pokemon by themselves and don't need just their turning move to be a threat, not because Terrakion has anything to do with it. Lets not jump to conclusions.

terrakion is not the only pokemon that needs one turn of setup to destroy teams there is dragonite, salamence, cloyster, CM latios, haxorus and more yet none of those are being called broken.
BS. These are all big threats with Dragonite maybe being the biggest one of them, but none of them is as dangerous as Terrakion. First of Terrakion is much easier to use than a lot of these. For example Dragonite needs special preparations to work too its full potential, like getting rid of Stealth Rocks an Sandstorm. Also Salamence, Haxourus and Dragonite are easier to revenge kill while they are locked into Outrage. Terrakion can just switch out when scizor or anything faster gets a safe switch in. Cloyster needs to have one turn of setup to be threatening. Terrakion is an immediate threat, if it has a choice band. And Latios has a lot of realiable counters.
I think Terrakion is by far the most dangerous Pokemon right now.

I, too, notice how difficult it is to revengekill Terrakion, and how it is borderline impossible to switch in to any of its attacks. Granted, I'm using a rain team, which means no Cresselia in it (Cresselia is an absolute must in any Sun team I make, though). But VoltTurn would also massacre the things that don't get 2HKO'd by Terrakion, and that's just as popular, and more often than not accompanying Terrakion.

Jimera summed it up better than me, but I nevertheless agree with him on Terrakion at least getting Suspected. I, however, am willing to ban him if that means OU's metagame is less one-sided (it also gives room for Virizion and some of the other Fighting-types to stay in OU, rather than overpopulating the BL Correctional Institute; I find Mienshao teetering between OU and UU as well, and that is something I don't want to see)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm concerned with how Trick Room is being defined as a playstyle, as at present it appears that one instance of the move Trick Room makes that team a "Trick Room team." As can be seen in the RU metagame stats, greater than 40% of teams are currently "Trick Room teams," which any frequent player will tell you is false. Rather, the cause of this outlying data is the popularity of Cofagrigus, the Offensive Trick Room variant, which is in the top 3 most used Pokemon.

Cofagrigus is excellent as a mid-late game sweeper and is frequently used as a stand-alone Trick Room sweeper, without the team itself being based around Trick Room. Indeed, the team that I used for a large part of this round was a Hyper offensive team, that happened to feature OTR Cofagrigus as well.

This impact can also be potentially seen in other metagames such as UU and OU, where OTR Bronzong and Reuniclus may be used respectively, likely skewing the stats. Therefore, due to the apparent skew of the metagame statistics, I would like to propose that the metric used to quantify a Trick Room team be raised; as an example, if a team carrying a single instance of the move Trick Room counts towards these stats, raise the bar to two instances, such as to better qualify what truly is a "Trick Room team."

What is this garbage, Claydol isn't listed as a Terrakion counter yet but confagrigus is, come on guys.

I am not supporting the banning of Terrakion, however, I do think it may warrant a testing period. Terrakion is a bitch to deal with, and unlike Salamence it actually can take stealth rock and sandstorm damage, it even likes sandstorm. At the very least a testing period will bring back some serious metagame discussion back to this forum.

Also Antar, it seems that you are really up on these as of late. Perhaps it might be worth considering a list of common team mates to the set stats? I don't know how exactly this would be done, but considering your past work, I know you can do anything you set your mind to :).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
any discussion on terrakion should probably acknowledge the fact that every single Pokemon in the top 20 of OU hits it super-effectively when using it's standard moveset, with the exception of Skarmory who has other means of functioning as a check.

In fact, with the exception of Ninetales, Blissey/Chansey, Skarmory, Deoxys-D, Jolteon and perhaps Latias every single Pokemon in OU hits Terrakion super-effectively when using its standard set.

that's not an example of 'over-centralisation' (and i use those inverted commas in the most condescending fashion because that term should never be used in a serious argument) - it's an example of absolutely hideous defensive typing and that, for me, is the main reason why Terrakion isn't even close to being broken.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OU
| 46 | Abomasnow | 22228 | 3.893% | 20343 | 4.295% |
Whooo, I only have played a few OU matches, but all the ones I did I was using a pretty good Hail team. Hail truly is underrated and should definitely be used more, Abomasnow in general is just so freaking good. Who knows maybe the new Kyurem formes will make Hail more popular. I can't wait to try out SubKyurem with extra the SAtk and Spe that ReshiKyurem will hopefully have. Both forms are confirmed Dragon/Ice so I won't have to worry about the possibility of a crappy Ice / Fire typing :P

RU
| 1 | Cofagrigus | 5867 | 19.448% | 4908 | 19.349% |
Not surprised at all, Nasty Room Cofag is an absolutely amazing set and should probably be on EVERY single team.

| 10 | Drapion | 3541 | 11.738% | 3055 | 12.044% |
its about time, I've been using Drapion since round 1 to hard counter the shit out of Cresselia and it currently stands as of of the best answers to Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon. Especially with the exploding rise in Nasty Room Cofag, this is a no brainer.

| 56 | Absol | 1154 | 3.825% | 909 | 3.584% |
This is mostly Trop's and my doing. We spammed the shit out of it, until the snowball effect occured and people started using it as well. Can't wait to play NU without this thing! :D On a plus note, everyone that was using Chan for Sharpedo, this Pokemon should be your main reason to keep it on your team!!!

| 51 | Cryogonal | 1397 | 4.631% | 1127 | 4.443% |
I am disappointed in us RU players that the best Rapid Spinner in RU has been neglected for so long and is currently NU. WTF At some point I felt I was one of the few that realized how good it was at spinning.

| 37 | Roselia | 1954 | 6.477% | 1715 | 6.761% |
Please.....no......Let this fall back into its rightful tier. I was already ashamed that my little 10 uses caused it to stay RU by a single use. :''''(

NU
| 9 | Gardevoir | 4768 | 9.873% | 3912 | 9.575% |
Not surprised at all, in fact I expected it to be a bit higher. Gardy just has so many more niches now that Mesprit is gone. Carry on wayward, son(er daughter)!

| 7 | Armaldo | 4801 | 9.941% | 4289 | 10.497% |
Eww, the only reason I can someone running this crap is because the best SR user(Golem) and best Spinner(Cryogonal) pile up a Fighting-type weakness. The only reason I run this trash is because Jynx and Cryo have bad synergy together sadly.

Altaria's used items in NU: | Item | 17.8 | Choice Specs
Yes, yes master race!!

Steiner

Banned deucer.
Anyway, just to temper what I just said I'm not necessarily in favour of banning it immediately. I AM in favour of a discussion before the OU council so we can work this out for sure though. It's pretty damn clear to anyone who plays OU regularly that Terrakion is probably the top threat in the metagame today. We can't afford to just leave it be, this needs further investigation.
Echoing what Nachos said, Volt-Turn is good because of the constant momentum and the fact that the most commonly used Pokemon on such teams are excellent on their own. The fact that you brought up regarding Volt-Turn teams being able to wear down Terrakion's counters could pretty much be said about any other hard hitting Pokemon in the game. In fact, that is probably the biggest reason as to why Volt-Turn is so popular. Would Scizor usage drop if Terrakion wasn't around? Probably, but that doesn't mean that Volt-Turn teams are used solely due to the presence of Terrakion in the metagame.

Really nice to see Salamence almost crack into the top 10. The ScarfMoxie set is incredible.

Kinda disappointed to see Virizion so low. It's a great Pokemon but perhaps the popularity of Scizor and Lati@s are turning people off from it. Hydreigon deserves more love as well.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thx a lot for the stats Antar!

Wow ScarfMoxieMence really did became popular... What can i say, it is good but not that good. I expect it's usage to fall a bit after a few months. And anyway i still think that Mence's best sets are the wallbreaking ones (classic mixmence and new mixmence)!

Also, as many said why is Virizion so low in usage; Maybe because people are using it wrong, or because they are tired of their Focus Blasts missing, who knows; But still, people relax with Scrafty, and use Virizion. If Scrafty deserves to be OU he will prove it, no need to spam it on the ladder...

Finally about Terrakion... I also think he deserves a suspect testing, but i don't think he is broken. He may be difficult to switch into, but he is easy to revenge kill and hard to bring in, so it's not all roses for this dude.

I also think Terrakion should at least undergo suspect testing. I don't think it's as overpowered as things like Garchomp and Excadrill, but the CB set is ridiculously hard to kill. The SubSD set beats all of its common counters and forces opponents to revenge kill it - there's no chance of even walling it once it sets up.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
What is this garbage, Claydol isn't listed as a Terrakion counter yet but confagrigus is, come on guys.
X-Scissor. The list wasn't hand-picked. It was a mass damage calculation based on every single set on-site from OU to NU. Claydol can't counter him.

X-Scissor vs. Claydol (UU Support): 56.17 - 66.66%

I'm also left wondering why Virizion suddenly dropped so low. Work Up Virizion is easily the MVP of my team, frequently scoring two KOs in a match if not more. It's fantastically easy to grab a spare turn to Work Up due to its insane special bulk, running a mixed set lets me use the more reliable Close Combat while having the benefits of Giga Drain and HP Ice, and nobody ever seems to expect it. Certainly precious few teams have more than one check to it, which are easily taken down by the rest of the team. Seriously guys, if Virizion drops to UU I'll be very disappointed in you all. D:

Regarding Terrakion, a suspect test may be a good idea, though from my (admittedly limited) experience I'd err on the side of not banning it. Worth taking a look, at any rate.

Terrakion has been has some of the best offensive STABS in the game coverage-wise and packs a ridiculous amount of power; It also has no counters to it that aren't destroyed by a couple of stone edges or can be taken out with just a little prior damage. It's also one of the most versatile things out there with Scarf, CB, and multiple set-up sets in its arsenal. I think the thing that's been keeping rak from being suspected etc so far has been how hard it is for rak to come in and how easy it is to revenge kill. That's changed with the metagame, however. Voltturn has made it easy for rak to come in and pressure things out, allowing choice sets to hurt things or setup versions to set up. The other factor has also been removed; the most common rak I see now is SubSD. Running subrak effectively makes it so nothing can revenge you without taking a massive hit, or more likely just dying to that insane power. In my opinion it definitely deserves a suspect round.

tl;dr it used to be scary with stuff that stopped it from being broken, now that stuff is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)