Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a tough pokemon, no doubt. And okay, no pokemon can switch into EVERY set, there are other pokemon that have that same feature. And i'm also not saying he couldnt be suspect, because i'd agree he's probably the fiercest poke in OU at the moment. But I'm saying he definitely SHOULDN'T be banned. And i'll stand by my statement that it isn't close to OP. OP imo would be completely metagame defining. As it stands, I'd say that OU is fine. Terrakion is going to have naturally high usage because it's an awesome pokemon.

EDIT: And if you want a solid counter, 252 HP/ 252 Def Bold Eviolite Tangela takes 75% max from +2 Rock Gem SE. Then can sleep it :)
is that tongue in cheek or...?

I support testing Terrakion. Garchomp is banned with 130 atk/102Spd/decent defense for a sweeper+good typing+moves to abuse the stats. Now, Terrakion has 129 atk/108Spd/slightly worse but still decent defense+ still good typing + moves to abuse the stats. The only think I see missing is it's ability is not that useful, but honestly it deserve a suspect test.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Garchomp was banned for other reasons than just its stats. Suspect tests have been abolished anyway so there's no point in discussing this.

Garchomp was banned for other reasons than just its stats. Suspect tests have been abolished anyway so there's no point in discussing this.

well that was 3 pages of discussion wasted on nothing. yay for ambomasnow being in OU range though, kyreum has really helped hail makingit more than just a gimmick

But it should be discussed to bring it to the counsel's attention, shouldn't it? I mean how are suppose to get our points across to them, if we don't talk about it?

haunter

Banned deucer.
You're free to discuss on the Pokemon itself, I just said to not discuss about suspect tests because there are not going to be any more suspect tests.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because as soon as everyone is done complaining and putting what may be valid points across, how does banning Terrakion serve us with a purpose worth aiming for during this stage in the metagame, as we try to improve diversity etc.? Banning Pokemon doesn't give you disversity in anything unless there's literally no reason to use any other Pokemon in the tier... oh wait...

We already was pretty much forced to ban Deoxys-S once we determined Thundurus/Excadrill; taking out Terrakion just leaves us with less suspects which will still be used just as much, with rain trampling through most teams because of the statistical advantages it possess.

Choice Scarf Politoed OHKOs so many Pokemon with Modest & Hydro Pump, not to mention every once in a while you will get a critical hit on their Water-type resist and the game is sealed from there. People don't mind this, so why on earth should sand suffer simply because it gives rain a "run for its money?"

OU needs to have standout Pokemon which prevent the metagame from becomming stale. Both sand and rain are prominent and as equally competitive, now that we have less suspects abusing the weather.

If anything I would rather see testing for Pokemon which ultimately deserve a second chance. If we look to expand the metagame from the stale "rain stall"/"sand vturn", then I believe the likes of Garchomp/Thundurus should be reconsidered.

However, seeing as there is no indication as of yet, we may as well just continue as we are and wait for B&W2 as planned.

I always look forward to the stats at the beginning of the month; many thanks to Antar for a stellar job as usual =D

This discussion about Terrakion is kind of interesting. Even though I've been playing competitively since the beginning of Gen v, I've only just started trying out Terrakion, as I usually like to use Rain teams, or bulky offense. However, I'm really starting to appreciate just how damn good Terrakion is; Scarf makes it a solid revenge killer, Band makes it hit devastatingly hard, and SD + Rock Gem can even break through it's usual counters. Also, each of Terrakion's movesets have uniquely different counters, so it's very difficult to deal with when you don't know what it's running. For example... most physical walls/ physically bulky pokemon can deal with Scarf Terrakion, as it doesn't have the same power output as it's other sets (i.e., Skarmory, Gliscor, Reuniclus, Celebi (must avoid X-Scissor), Tentacruel (in Rain) etc). Band variants are perhaps impossible to wall until you know what move it's going to use, making switching difficult. However, it can be out-sped by Latios, Starmie and Scarf Rotom-W, so it does have a few different checks. However, these pokemon can't switch in on it, so I can see why people might want Terrakion banned - CB doesn't really have a 'true' counter among relevant OU-worthy pokemon. Finally, SD lacks the initial power of CB, and can be outsped by the above - though it's difficult to beat with bulky pokes like Skarm and Gliscor, as they'll have to deal with Rock gem boosted +2 Stone Edge.

Eh, tl;dr. I think my opinion on Terrakion is that it deserves to be looked at... Or at least, that would be my opinion if the release of B2W2 wasn't relatively soon. As is, I think the metagame is about to be shaken up anyway, so we might as well just bide our time, and see how stuff plays out.

On a more general note about the stats, no surprises with Scizor. It's basically THE utility counter of gen V, a critical part of the Volt-Turn strategy, and it can just fit on any team. Seriously. ANY team. At all. Also, on a somewhat related note, I've always felt that Reuniclus should be a bit more used than it is, despite Scizor's ubiquity in the tier. That Trick Room set can be devastating, and with a bit of hazard support/ prior damage, even Scizor's not safe.

I would also like to say: Magnezone. Drop in usage. Immediately. I've had enough of you trapping and killing my Skarmory, Forretress and/ or Ferrothorn. Kindly stop being a douchebag.

Sincerely, FrostFire.

If Virizion goes UU it will be EPIC. If Terrakion was broken it would be UBER.
Pokemon can be broken and not "UBER". It would just be the case that they were not banned yet. Blaziken was not uber for awhile, but was broken. It can also be that in past metas Terrakion was not broken, but now is. That said, if he is or is not broken it is for the Senate to decide, and I would greatly much like it if they took a look at this pokemon.

Pokemon can be broken and not "UBER". It would just be the case that they were not banned yet. Blaziken was not uber for awhile, but was broken. It can also be that in past metas Terrakion was not broken, but now is. That said, if he is or is not broken it is for the Senate to decide, and I would greatly much like it if they took a look at this pokemon.
I think that might just be a play on words as in read UBER as GREAT. Pun very much intended imo. I may be very, very wrong...

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
If Terrakion was broken, you'd see an increase in its hard counters like Nidoqueen, Claydol, and Golurk the way Gliscor was top 5 in usage during the Exca meta, Slowbro was almost OU range during the Blaziken meta, and Gastrodon shot from RU to OU during the Thundurus meta. No pokemon dedicated solely to countering Terrakion has risen, showing he's nowhere near being broken.

Admittedly though, part of the reason Scizor retains #1 on the 1337 stats probably has something to do with Terrakion.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
156 HP / 56 SpA / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Surf
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Does anybody know the purpose of such an elaborate set? I'd much rather play it safe and use either the Life Orb Tank or Calm Mind + Two Attacks.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Gliscor was top 5 in usage for being good, along with hard countering excadrill. Claydol is a spinner and nidoqueen can lay hazards, but they're both pretty bad. Golurk is strong and has good moves, but no speed or bulk. So that proves little, especially since terrakion doesn't start out with doubled speed and can thus be revenge-killed.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Salac Berry is unreleased, but allowed in DW OU (I assume). Giving Linoone a Salac Berry with Belly Drum + Gluttony allowed it to get +6/+1 in one turn.

EDIT: Lol, there's a spambot. By the time you, mystery person, read this, it might be gone, but for now I'm enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)