Smogon University PO Statistics — November 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
| 50 | Dugtrio | 16909 | 3.594% | 13474 | 3.435% |

That's interesting. I wonder if Dugtrio will jump from the ranks of NU to OU sometime in the future.

The moveset statistics are damn interesting. Good job.

And they are funny:

Alakazam
| Move | 71.5 | Psychic
| Move | 35.8 | Psyshock

That means, that 7.3% of the Alakazams had Psychic and Psyshock on the same set.

| 57 | Swampert | 13421 | 2.852% | 11907 | 3.035% |
| 63 | Slowbro | 10887 | 2.314% | 9133 | 2.328% |

... wow, just wow...

agreed

I left the metagame for awhile, and i come back and scizor is number 1?
How much longer till people want scizor banned too!?

Also, what set is everyone running with jolteon now?? I noticed it was ou (i mean it is in the top 52 so i thought that was the ou limit but idk)

I left the metagame for awhile, and i come back and scizor is number 1?
How much longer till people want scizor banned too!?

Also, what set is everyone running with jolteon now?? I noticed it was ou (i mean it is in the top 52 so i thought that was the ou limit but idk)
If anything is going to be banned in the near future, it would probably be dragonite. If scizor had maintained OU throughout D/P, and since it hasn't recieved any new toys this gen, it won't be going to uber.

If anything is going to be banned in the near future, it would probably be dragonite. If scizor had maintained OU throughout D/P, and since it hasn't recieved any new toys this gen, it won't be going to uber.
I wouldn't count on Dragonite being banned either. SR negates Multiscale and since SR has such wide distribution and is used on 99% of teams, its hard to keep MS intact without Roost. Terrakion on the other hand rips everything apart with its Dual-stabs and speed. There are not a lot of safe switchins and if Scizor didn't exist it would definitily be Uber.

On a more relevant note, these usage statistics seem defunct to me now with the banning of Deo-S, some of the stuff on there doesn't seem prevalent now, i.e. Starmie. Terrakion seems to be used way more, almost as if it is #5.

What I hope to see rise from the depths from RU/UU is a good ghost-type and spinblocker. As of now, Gengar and Jellicent are the only choices. Chandelure is good in OU and is the best canidate, but it can only spin block forretress. I tried using Golurk for my Sand-team, but again it can only spin block Forretress. Golurk does have hope though on Sand teams since it can completely stop Terrakion in its tracks.

Edit: Also on the 1337 stats, 5.8 of Reuniclus' use Trick+Flame orb. People actually use that set lol

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Use dusknoir. Seriously, dusknoir/dusclops doesn't lose to tentacruel/starmie, which means that it doesn't lose to any spinblocker than isn't running foresight/odor sleuth.

Yeah, dusknoir's problem is his lack of reliable recovery.

Use dusknoir. Seriously, dusknoir/dusclops doesn't lose to tentacruel/starmie, which means that it doesn't lose to any spinblocker than isn't running foresight/odor sleuth.

Yeah, dusknoir's problem is his lack of reliable recovery.
That and you have to be really lucky while use the rest talk set, which rarely goes in my favor.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swampert gets Stealth Rock, Roar , takes neutral damage from Scizor's U-Turn and is immune to Rotom-W's Volt Switch, which are all advantages it has over Slowbro. I'm not surprised that it's higher than Slowbro when it fares better against one of the metagame's dominant strategies, even with the lack of healing.

In my experience in BW I've found that using Swampert defensively probably means you're doing it wrong. Quagsire, Gastrodon, or another bulky water will probably do this job much more effectively. CB Pert is not a facepalm though, not all hope is lost for those Swampert users.

Scizor won't be banned, it keeps too much other stuff from being broken. XD
Applying the same logic,

Excadrill won't be banned because it keeps Volcarona in check by outspeeding +2 Volcarona under sand and KO'ing it with Rock Slide.
UNBAN EXCADRILL

god, that's not a good reason to say not to ban something.

and no this is not an argument about banning scizor or unbanning excadrill

Any hope on Cofagrigus though? It's got seriously high defense and even though the 2 spinners are specially-based he still can invest heavily in spdef too.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Swampert gets Stealth Rock, Roar , takes neutral damage from Scizor's U-Turn and is immune to Rotom-W's Volt Switch, which are all advantages it has over Slowbro. I'm not surprised that it's higher than Slowbro when it fares better against one of the metagame's dominant strategies, even with the lack of healing.
Slowbro, however, checks some of the metagame's most prominent threats, such as Dragonite, Terrakion, and Landorus. As well, Quagsire and Gastrodon are much better Water/ Grounds than Swampert, due to their superior defensive abilities. In no way does Swampert deal with Volt-turn, yes it is immune to Volt Switch, now try taking a Hydro Pump please. Yes Swamp gets Stealth Rock, but so does a third of OU, its lack of instant recovery means it wont be phazing for long. The most important factor, however, is that what Swampert checked in previous generations are no longer in circulation. The reason it was so successful in previous generations was because it could check the pseudo legendary trio: Tyranitar, Metagross, and Salamence. Nowadays, Tyranitar has taken a more Defensive approach, Metagross is nowhere to be seen, and Salamence has gone to either the Choice Scarf Moxie Outrage/ MixMence sets, both which Swampert has far more difficulty dealing with. IMO, the only thing Swampert has over Quaggy/ Gastro is its Offensive stats. If you're not using the bulky CB set, you're not using it right.

Applying the same logic,

Excadrill won't be banned because it keeps Volcarona in check by outspeeding +2 Volcarona under sand and KO'ing it with Rock Slide.
UNBAN EXCADRILL

god, that's not a good reason to say not to ban something.

and no this is not an argument about banning scizor or unbanning excadrill

Any hope on Cofagrigus though? It's got seriously high defense and even though the 2 spinners are specially-based he still can invest heavily in spdef too.
Technically, JollyDrill(I think Adamant failed to OHKO too) couldn't OHKO Max/Max Volcarona(IIRC, the ChestoRest set uses this) with a +0 Rock Slide not taking into account hazards.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't count on Dragonite being banned either. SR negates Multiscale and since SR has such wide distribution and is used on 99% of teams, its hard to keep MS intact without Roost. Terrakion on the other hand rips everything apart with its Dual-stabs and speed. There are not a lot of safe switchins and if Scizor didn't exist it would definitily be Uber.

On a more relevant note, these usage statistics seem defunct to me now with the banning of Deo-S, some of the stuff on there doesn't seem prevalent now, i.e. Starmie. Terrakion seems to be used way more, almost as if it is #5.

What I hope to see rise from the depths from RU/UU is a good ghost-type and spinblocker. As of now, Gengar and Jellicent are the only choices. Chandelure is good in OU and is the best canidate, but it can only spin block forretress. I tried using Golurk for my Sand-team, but again it can only spin block Forretress. Golurk does have hope though on Sand teams since it can completely stop Terrakion in its tracks.

Edit: Also on the 1337 stats, 5.8 of Reuniclus' use Trick+Flame orb. People actually use that set lol
Sableye

There's a very good reason why the usage stats are weighted the way they are when it comes to tiering: 20-3-1.

Scizor only has high usage because not only does it serve all the roles it used to, but w/Deo-S gone it's one of about 4 pokemon in OU that can handle CB Terrakion.

Scizor only has high usage because not only does it serve all the roles it used to, but w/Deo-S gone it's one of about 4 pokemon in OU that can handle CB Terrakion.
There are a lot more Pokemon that can handle CB Terrakion. Gliscor, Slowbro, Hippo, Forretress, priority, anything faster that can KO. Although not all these Pokemon are OU, they are all viable.

@NewWorldOrder: Slowbro for OU let's get it.

um, I'm making a run for milotic in the december usage stat...
where should I play in PO to qualify in your count? pokemon online or smogon?? i'm confused because you can still play exca in pokemon online for OU...

btw, gotta make a case for milotic, especially the restalking set. i believe it's the best mixed wall in the game due to great SpDef, marvel scale and water typing.. plus she can nullify threats such as many dragons, set-up sweepers and some stallers.
he should be used more than vappy.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
um, I'm making a run for milotic in the december usage stat...
where should I play in PO to qualify in your count? pokemon online or smogon?? i'm confused because you can still play exca in pokemon online for OU...
PO's metagame states have no effect upon our statistics or bans. Obviously, go play on the Smogon server.

As a note of comedy, I literally ask myself "Why?" everytime I see a Swampert that's obviously going to be Stealth Rock / physically defensive in Team Preview. I wouldn't so much as count on Choice Band Swampert to be gamebreaking either( if somebody could prove me wrong).

Swampert is pretty underwhelming this generation as a utility Pokemon. He can hit a few things here and there with Earthquake and Scald and whatnot, but it's shut down by Rotom-W and the Grass-types that inhabit OU. Stealth Rock support is better left to stuff like Heatran or Tyranitar, and Gastrodon and the aforementioned Rotom-W can walk (or slither?) over what Swampert can, and more efficiently.

Back when I used Swampert in May or June this year, it was pretty decent, and I had a team which got to the top 2% of the OU ladder. Nowadays, most people don't even expect someone to get past the top 20% with Swampert on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)