Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon Sun & Moon! [Work in progress! Need epic banner]

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Soft Resetting Guide for flawless Legendary Pokémon in Sun and Moon!
Approved by the lovely moderators DHR-107, Jellicent and anto for the possibility to make an article about this!
Also shoutout to Max. Optimizer for correcting my grammar.

I am currently also looking for someone who is willing to make an epic banner for this thread! Please contact me if you want to!

Hi guys! Since my previous guide for soft-resetting Legendaries in Gen 6 was a resounding success, I figured I should write one for Gen 7 as well. Smogon caters to a lot of different kinds of Pokémon trainers and collectors, so this guide is targeted towards the collectors that want to soft-reset flawless Legendaries without having to use Hyper-Training or don't have access to RNG abuse (yet).

I'm also very well aware that these Monsters can also be obtained via RNG abuse. Even if you're certain that you've soft-resetted for the right Pokémon, you'll still have to put it to sleep and reduce its HP to 1 in order to facilitate the capturing process. This guide'll demonstrate which Utility Pokémon are the best to get this job done.

The stationary Pokémon have 3 fixed IV's, which are always 31. Which stats get the 31 is always random. This thread is meant to give you information about which Pokémon you should be using for Soft Resetting (or RNG abusing) for your Pokémon. There's also room for discussion, because people always seem to find ways to make things even easier.

I wrote this guide so people can capture stationary Pokémon with 4, 5 or even 6IV in a Matching Ball, because a Master Ball is so meh. It will also prevent you from capturing totally useless spreads. (0/31/0/0/31/31 Quiet, right..) I hope you all enjoy this guide! Currently still adding info, if you have suggestions or questions, feel free to ask.

FAQ
Q: Do you have all these Smeargles and Staraptors?
A: Nope.

Q: Do I have a flawless Pokémon after I capture it using this guide?
A: No, you have confirmed the HP and Speed stat.

Q: Why did you make this guide? We can just throw a Master Ball everytime we encounter a Pokémon.
A: Because a Master Ball looks silly. Besides that, using this Smeargle and Staraptor will show you if the Pokémon has 31 HP and Speed. Just throwing a Master Ball will let you capture useless ones too.

Q: Why are you saying Pokémon will have 31IV in a stat, if 30 gives exactly the same?
A: If the method I describe works, the Pokémon will have either 30 or 31 in that stat. It's always better than not knowing the Speed stat.

What do you need?
  • A Pokémon with the ability Synchronize. This Pokémon should have the nature you want for your Legendary Pokémon,
  • 100+ of all Pokéballs, just in case,
  • 25 Max Revives, just in case,
  • Staraptor,
  • Pokédex Data of the Pokémon you're going for,
  • Switched OFF Battle Animations,
  • At least 600 Pokémon in your Pokédex; highest chance on Critical Capture,
  • One free spot in your party to check the newly caught Pokémon.

How does it work?
Before you start off, make sure you finished the story mode. In SM, you have to capture Solgaleo and Lunala, so that's not an option. For all other Pokémon, make sure the story is finished and you have access to the IV checking guy. (Battle Tree, make sure you hatched at least 20 eggs.)

First, I will explain how this method works. We should start of by looking at the Pokémon we want to capture.

Get a Synchronizer with the right nature. This will give you a 50% chance the Pokémon you’re going to capture have the same nature. Make sure this synchronizer is fainted before you start the battle. By doing this, you don’t have to switch to Staraptor and waste one turn.

Next up, Staraptor. Staraptor is a fast Pokémon, capable of learning the move Final Gambit. Final Gambit does damage to the opponent equal to the amount of lost HP on the user. Staraptor is desgined to check the IV Stat of the stationary Pokémon. If the stationary Pokémon faints, you reset. If it survives, it will have 1 HP left, and you’re sure it has 31IV in HP. In most cases, stats are the same for 30IV and 31IV.

After this, you’ll switch to Smeargle. Smeargle is designed to check the Speed IV as well as putting it to sleep. Just check what base Speed your stationary has at that level with wanted nature. Smeargle will have a Speed stat 1 point less. When Staraptor faints, you’ll get a free switch to Smeargle. Use Spore with Smeargle. If you move first, the stationary Pokémon does not have 31IV in Speed, so you’ll reset. If the stationary moves first, it’ll have 31IV in Speed. Again, Spe could also be 30. Now you know the Pokémon you want to capture atleast has 31/xx/xx/xx/xx/31, and there's a high chance that it has the nature you wanted!

Additional Info
The IV's:
For all Pokémon mentioned in this guide, the stats are exactly the same for IV 30 or 31. ~Add info if IV can be 29~.

Neutral Speed natures:
Quoting cant say here: "If going for a neutral speed nature and the Pokemon outspeeds you I would say it's still safe to assume your Sync worked as it's only a 16% chance to get a +speed nature if Sync fails (so really it's 8%)." You can always decide to skip the Speed check and just switch to a lvl 100 Smeargle.

The Synchronizer:
When you're going for a +Spe nature, and the Pokémon is outspeding Smeargle, there still is a small chance it got a different +Spe nature. Nothing can be controlled in generation 6. The chance of having the right nature when using the synchronizer is 50%. If it didn't work, it could have any of the other 24 natures. 3 of those are +Spe as well. Do the math. :)

The next part of this guide will closely analyze every stationary Pokémon individually as well as the respective necessary preparations.

Last edited:

Buckert

The Pokémon

Tapu Koko
Capture rate: 3
Level: 60
Shiny Lock: Yes
Moves (PP):
Nature's Madness (10) | Discharge (15) | Agility (30) | Electro Ball (10)

HP Att Def SpA SpD Spe
Base Stats 70 115 85 95 75 130

Boosting 172 177 137 150 124 196
Neutral 172 161 125 137 113 179
Hindering 172 144 112 123 101 161

When aiming for +Speed nature:
Staraptor:
Level: 53
Nature: Jolly
Item: Choice Scarf
IV: 31 HP | 31 Spe
EV: 12 HP
Stats at 53: 171 HP | 139 Spe
Moves: Final Gambit

Smeargle:
Level: 100
Nature: Careful
Item: Leftovers
IV: 31 | xx | 31 | xx | 31 | 31
EV: 252 | xx | xx | xx | 220 | 36
Stats at 100: 314 | xx | 106 | xx | 199 | 195
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Psychic Terrain | Recover

How to capture Tapu Koko:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Koko faints, reset. Tapu Koko survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Psychic Terrain. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Koko moves first, +Spe nature and 31IV in Spe confirmed. When using Psychic Terrain, it will be possible to Spore Tapu Koko. Use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him. If Tapu Koko uses Agility as his first move, it will outspeed Smeargle for sure, so you won't be able to confirm that. You could replace Recover with Scary Face if he hits +6 Speed.

Tapu Lele
Moves (PP):
Nature's Madness (10) | Extrasensory (20) | Flatter (15) | Moonblast (15)

HP Att Def SpA SpD Spe
Base Stats 70 85 75 130 115 95

Boosting 172 137 124 196 177 150
Neutral 172 125 113 179 161 137
Hindering 172 112 101 161 144 123

Staraptor:
Item: None
EV: 12 HP | 80 Spe
Stats at 53: 171 HP | 151 Spe

Smeargle:
Level: 80
EV: 252 | xx | 4 | xx | 252 | xx
Stats at 80: 253 | xx | 86 | xx | 167 | 149
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Amnesia | Recover

How to capture Tapu Lele:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Lele faints, reset. Tapu Lele survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Spore. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Lele moves first, +Spe nature and 31IV in Spe confirmed. Use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him. You could also use Amnesia to survive a little longer.

When aiming for Neutral Speed nature:
Staraptor:
Stats at 53: 171 HP

Smeargle:
Level: 72
EV: 252 | xx | xx | xx | 252 | 4
Stats at 72: 228 | xx | 77 | xx | 150 | 136
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Amnesia | Recover

How to capture Tapu Lele:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Lele faints, reset. Tapu Lele survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Spore. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Lele moves first, it either has Neutral Spe with 31IV, or +Spe nature. Use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him. You could also use Amnesia to survive a little longer.

Tapu Bulu
Moves (PP):
Nature's Madness (10) | Zen Headbutt (15) | Megahorn (10) | Skull Bash (10)

HP Att Def SpA SpD Spe
Base Stats 70 130 115 85 95 75

Boosting 172 196 177 137 150 124
Neutral 172 179 161 125 137 113
Hindering 172 161 144 112 123 101

Staraptor:

Smeargle:
Level: 65
Nature: Impish
EV: 252 | xx | 252 | xx | xx | 4
Stats at 65: 207 | xx | 122 | xx | 83 | 123
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Soak | Recover

How to capture Tapu Bulu:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Bulu faints, reset. Tapu Bulu survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Soak. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Bulu moves first, +Spe nature and 31IV in Spe confirmed. Spore it to make it sleep, use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him.

Staraptor:

Smeargle:
Level: 59
Nature: Impish
EV: 252 | xx | 252 | xx | xx | 4
Stats at 59: 189 | xx | 111 | xx | 76 | 112

How to capture Tapu Bulu:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Bulu faints, reset. Tapu Bulu survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Soak. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Bulu moves first, it either has Neutral Spe with 31IV, or +Spe nature. Spore it to make it sleep, use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him.

Tapu Fini
Moves (PP):
Nature's Madness (10) | Muddy Water (10) | Aquaring (20) | Hydro Pump (5)

HP Att Def SpA SpD Spe
Base Stats 70 75 115 95 130 85

Boosting 172 124 177 150 196 137
Neutral 172 113 161 137 179 125
Hindering 172 101 144 123 161 112

Staraptor:

Smeargle:
Level: 72
EV: 252 | xx | xx | xx | 252 | 4
Stats at 72: 228 | xx | 77 | xx | 150 | 136
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Heal Block | Recover

How to capture Tapu Fini:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Fini faints, reset. Tapu Fini survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Spore. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Fini moves first, +Spe nature and 31IV in Spe confirmed. Use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him. You can also use Heal Block to prevent it from healing.

Staraptor:

Smeargle:
Level: 66
EV: 252 | xx | 4 | xx | 252 | xx
Stats at 66: 210 | xx | 72 | xx | 138 | 124

How to capture Tapu Fini:
Fainted sync in front. Staraptor at second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. Tapu Fini faints, reset. Tapu Fini survives, confirmed 31IV in HP. Staraptor fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Smeargle uses Spore. If Smeargle moves first, reset. If Tapu Fini moves first, it either has Neutral Spe with 31IV, or +Spe nature. Use Rock Polish to outspeed him in the next turns, so when he wakes up, you can Spore him. You can also use Heal Block to prevent it from healing.

Last edited:

Buckert

There we go, I am aware of the fact we now can either RNG abuse these monster, or use Hyper Training on order to get the perfect IVs. There will still be collectors (including me) that want to have perfect IVs without the use of Hyper Training, or don't have the possibility to RNG abuse one.

I have now added the first gen 7 Pokémon to this thread! More to be added soon.

I used this Smeargle when I was catching Tapu Koko:

Sand Attack
Conversion
Spore
False Swipe (you could also use Recover or Rock Polish from your idea if you want)

After using Conversion on turn 1, Tapu Koko can't hit Smeargle with anything other than Nature's Madness. Your stat spread can be adapted for this moveset. You can stall out Electric Terrain (it's only 5 turns) while throwing balls or using False Swipe, so you don't need to spend a moveslot for Psychic Terrain. This moveset makes catching him less of a pain because there's no threat of fainting.

Buckert

I used this Smeargle when I was catching Tapu Koko:

Sand Attack
Conversion
Spore
False Swipe (you could also use Recover or Rock Polish from your idea if you want)

After using Conversion on turn 1, Tapu Koko can't hit Smeargle with anything other than Nature's Madness. Your stat spread can be adapted for this moveset. You can stall out Electric Terrain (it's only 5 turns) while throwing balls or using False Swipe, so you don't need to spend a moveslot for Psychic Terrain. This moveset makes catching him less of a pain because there's no threat of fainting.
That works, but my Staraptor and Smeargle are designed to check it's stats, not just for only capturing it. That's what this whole guide is about.

CoolMan6001 just like Nelson Tangela said, and also mentioned in my previous guide, Smeargle can use Soak so you can use Spore. And besides that, I haven't reached that part of this guide yet.

That works, but my Staraptor and Smeargle are designed to check it's stats, not just for only capturing it. That's what this whole guide is about.
Using Conversion on Smeargle's first turn (instead of Psychic Terrain as you said) has the same effect. It's just a little convenience thing for when you do find the correct stats.

The peculiarity of the new move Strength Sap means you can now read out the opponent's raw Attack stat in addition to checking HP and Speed, by bringing a Shiinotic that's missing at least 196 HP to Tapu Bulu.

If you really want to go through the tedious process of resetting until you get exactly 0- Attack on the others (which corresponds to 128, 96, and 85 on Koko/Lele/Fini respectively), Strength Sap can be used for that too, because unlike imperfect IVs in the other stats, that's not something you can rectify later with hyper training.

The peculiarity of the new move Strength Sap means you can now read out the opponent's raw Attack stat in addition to checking HP and Speed, by bringing a Shiinotic that's missing at least 196 HP to Tapu Bulu.

If you really want to go through the tedious process of resetting until you get exactly 0- Attack on the others (which corresponds to 128, 96, and 85 on Koko/Lele/Fini respectively), Strength Sap can be used for that too, because unlike imperfect IVs in the other stats, that's not something you can rectify later with hyper training.
Smeargle can sketch it too.

Buckert

I have all for Tapus listed! I do need to find a way to get around the Grassy Terrain ability, so we can keep Tapu Bulu low in health.

Something else I've noticed is that you don't list a way of checking both HP and Speed on turn 1, when a perfectly good method exists. Fixed-Damage moves on Pokemon that have the appropriate speed for a speed check. You can get creative with this. For example, to capture Suicune in ORAS, I used a level 87 Deoxys-Defense EV'd to have 209 speed and holding an Iron Ball. Before turn one, if Deoxys's Pressure displayed first, I would reset. Turn one, if Night Shade sent it into the yellow, I would reset. Then you could continue catching it with Smeargle or whatever your catch mon was. This saved a decent amount of time per reset since I didn't have to see the fainting animations and could tell its speed instantly. An example would be, for Modest Tapu Lele: Level 85 Chansey/Mawile, 96 Speed EVs, neutral speed nature. Has 136 speed. Use Seismic Toss to check if it has more than 170 max HP (29 IVs or higher). If you outspeed, reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)