Solgaleo Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Solgaleo
Steel/Psychic
Abilities: Full Metal Body
HP: 137
Atk: 137
Def: 107
SpAtk: 113
SpDef: 89
Spe: 97

Level Up

L0 - Sunsteel Strike
L1 - Sunsteel Strike
L1 - Cosmic Power
L1 - Wake-Up Slap
L1 - Teleport
L1 - Metal Claw
L7 - Iron Head
L13 - Metal Sound
L19 - Zen Headbutt
L23 - Flash Cannon
L31 - Morning Sun
L37 - Crunch
L43 - Metal Burst
L47 - Solar Beam
L59 - Noble Roar
L61 - Flare Blitz
L67 - Wide Guard
L73 - Giga Impact

TMs

TM01 - Work Up
TM03 - Psyshock
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Flame Charge
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM92 - Trick Room
TM93 - Wild Charge
TM95 - Snarl
TM100 - Confide

New Ability

Full Metal Body: Prevents other Pokémon’s moves or Abilities from lowering the Pokémon’s stats.

New Move

Sunsteel Strike: The user slams into the target with the force of a meteor. This move can be used on the target regardless of its Abilities. 100% accuracy [Steel] 100 BP, Physical.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, this thing gets (hopefully) Splash from Cosmog, right? and Full Metal Jacket Alchemist Body means you can't lower its Attack.

Hoo boy, this thing is gonna hurt. except it doesn't look like it can boost its Speed D:

Solgaleo seems to be a very good Xerneas check, plus it is one of the very few that has recovery. 137 base attack with Earthquake will hurt Primal Groudon switches.

Am I missing something or what abilities is sunsteel strike going to hit through? Having said that this thing looks like it could be useful in ubers, 97 speed is good and it looks like it can give Xerneas a hard time.

Yeah I think a simple set of Morning Sun / Sunsteel Strike / Earthquake / Wild Charge gives it maximum coverage while maintaining utility against Xerneas.

This Lion is super bulky similar to Arceues. It is on the slower side of things and weak to groudon but it is very strong has decent defensive type and had recovery. It can also use a special set but its ability is pretty disappointing. Also has Stone Edge to beat Ho-oh

I like the fact that its a decent xern check but it needs max Atk investment and Adamant to KO the standard GeoXern set with Sunsteel Strike, but that might be a moot point if Xern decides to run more speed this gen and Xern dies if it has any residual damage. Solgaleo also doesn't like taking a +2 Thunder that well Otherwise its a decent tank Pokemon, but it needs to have Atk investment to pressure the things it needs to, and doesn't have too much of a movepool to work with (no Stealth Rock *cry*) that has some ability to take on Pdon + Ho-oh. An initial set like this might see some use:

Solgaleo @ Leftovers
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Nature: Careful / Adamant
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- Morning Sun
- Stone Edge / Crunch (for lunala but it only KOs if SR is up) / Thunder Wave

This will definitely struggle against Ghosts and Darks though, so Yveltal, Lunala and Gengar are important threats.

Wait a minute, this thing gets (hopefully) Splash from Cosmog, right? and Full Metal Jacket Alchemist Body means you can't lower its Attack.

Hoo boy, this thing is gonna hurt. except it doesn't look like it can boost its Speed D:
Flame Charge seems decent. Of course, you would be left with a steel + 1 coverage, but with 137 base, +3 from splash and +1 speed this thing could be a threat.

Am I missing something or what abilities is sunsteel strike going to hit through? Having said that this thing looks like it could be useful in ubers, 97 speed is good and it looks like it can give Xerneas a hard time.
It's a built-in Mold Breaker. It ignores the same abilities that Mold Breaker/Teravolt/Turboblaze ignore.

This thing seems really good for dealing with Fairy types in general. Shame it doesn't outspeed +Spe Xerneas though.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Am I missing something, or is this thing really not that much better than Metagross? They have about the same physical power and physical bulk, they have the same ability. Metagross' access to bullet punch also seems to be fairly important. Sunsteel Strike has perfect accuracy, but Meteor Mash has a chance to raise Attack. Of course Solgaleo's special bulk, special offense, speed tier (97 is pretty mediocre though) and access to Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Morning Sun are advantages, Metagross is a UU Pokemon, not an OU powerhouse.

Is this worth testing in OU?

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Pretty sure the 137 HP alone is enough to lead towards a ban.Its really fat and really powerful quick ban until an OU meta forms.
You are probably right. I ran some calculations and it's HP does make quite the difference. Solgaleo has a chance to survive Bisharp's Knock Off, and Gengar's Life Orb Shadow Ball, while Metagross can not. Solgaleo has a good chance to live 252 Lum Berry Garchomp's EQ, while Metagross' chances are fairly slim, and Solgaleo absorbs 252 SAtk Aegislash's Shadow Ball, just barely, while Metagross can not. Combine this with Solgaleo's effortless bypass of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scizor with Fire Blast, I'd say it's probably a bit overwhelming for OU. Shame, I really wanted to use it. Maybe I'll get a chance in the early phases of the metagame.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Am I missing something, or is this thing really not that much better than Metagross? They have about the same physical power and physical bulk, they have the same ability. Metagross' access to bullet punch also seems to be fairly important. Sunsteel Strike has perfect accuracy, but Meteor Mash has a chance to raise Attack. Of course Solgaleo's special bulk, special offense, speed tier (97 is pretty mediocre though) and access to Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Morning Sun are advantages, Metagross is a UU Pokemon, not an OU powerhouse.

Is this worth testing in OU?
Absolutely not imo. 137/107/89 defenses with reliable recovery and this typing is incredible. For reference, Solgaleo can survive +2 Xerneas Focus Blast after Stealth Rock with zero bulk investment while Metagross needs 252 HP/32 SDef EVs to pull off the same feat. Solgaleo is also significantly bulkier on the physical side:

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 260-308 (86.3 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solgaleo: 308-366 (74.2 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's a pretty significant difference there.

On top of that Solgaleo has signifcantly better Speed (outspeeding Landorus-T with Intimidate immunity is huge), ridiculous coverage including things like Flare Blitz/Wild Charge to destroy basically anything that could wall its type combo, can viably run a special set with Calm Mind and 113 SpA alongside very solid special attacking options...it would just be overwhelming honestly.

Anyway, I think Solgaleo is going to be awesome in Ubers. As mentioned before, it's a very good Xerneas check, taking its strongest boosted coverage against it after Stealth Rock without needing bulk investment and dropping it in return with Sunsteel Strike. Thanks to the threat of Earthquake and the sun potentially letting Solgaleo recover to full with Morning Sun, Primal Groudon is far from being a surefire check, and Solgaleo's wild coverage lets it deal with almost anything it wants. A simple three attacks + Morning Sun set @ Lefties/Iron Plate will go far, and it can also go on the offensive with Choice Band or boosting its Speed with Flame Charge, or dive into options with Metal Burst or Roar to keep Salamence at bay.

This Pokemon owns and I think it will be a key player in the SUMO Ubers meta.

Yeah I think a simple set of Morning Sun / Sunsteel Strike / Earthquake / Wild Charge gives it maximum coverage while maintaining utility against Xerneas.
I agree, Morning Sun, Sunsteel Strike, and Earthquake are absolute essentials. Wild Charge would allow it to handle Ho-oh, Lugia, Yveltal, and Waterceus. Alternatively, Crunch can be used to handle Deoxys, Giratina, Lati@s, and Ghostceus. It can also run Fire Blast if it wants to roast steels. Im surprised it didnt get Swords Dance, but it doesnt seem like it will need it

I actually don't think it'll get Splash. Atm it doesn't look like we'll be able to acquire Cosmog/Cosmoem in-game and by the time you face Solgaleo, it will already have forgotten Splash.
Let's just pray for a Cosmog event.
Splash is love, Splash is life.

I actually don't think it'll get Splash. Atm it doesn't look like we'll be able to acquire Cosmog/Cosmoem in-game and by the time you face Solgaleo, it will already have forgotten Splash.
Let's just pray for a Cosmog event.
Splash is love, Splash is life.
i saw some text in the story paste bin that implies you'll get a cosmog to raise up (& maybe solgaleo/lunala leave your party? idk i didnt root around for more context)

i saw some text in the story paste bin that implies you'll get a cosmog to raise up (& maybe solgaleo/lunala leave your party? idk i didnt root around for more context)
Yeah, it looks like you can get a Cosmog and raise it (in addition to your version legendary). If it can keep Splash across the evolution process, it seems pretty obvious that Normalium Z with Sunsteel Strike/Earthquake/Splash/Morning Sun will be a viable set.

Does this thing have any use for Psychic STAB?

Last edited:
As it turns out, the Steel typing did not come from the alchemical symbol of the purification of metals or the fact that the sun is partly comprised of metal.

It came from the fact that Xerneas was a satanic Pokemon to face and Game freak desperately needed to make a check for it.

As it turns out, the Steel typing did not come from the alchemical symbol of the purification of metals or the fact that the sun is partly comprised of metal.

It came from the fact that Xerneas was a satanic Pokemon to face and Game freak desperately needed to make a check for it.
Also, Solgaleo is all about taking in and giving off light, and I think it's fair to say that Steel is our "Light-Type", given that all 3 existing Special Steel moves (Mirror Shost, Flash Cannon, Doom Desire) are all light based.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)