Splatoon

With gals I've been trying a defense up set with the equivalent of 3 mains, and I've really been enjoying it so far. What does everyone else think of defense up?
Defense up is a decent ability to have at least one main of, same with strength up or having 2 sub strength ups.

So I just started playing splatoon again after a long break, and I have to say that I completely forgot how much fun the game is in general. The matches are so fast paced and hectic, but due to the four player teams, splatoon makes it feel like you have an impact(unlike a other certain 3rd person shooter that came out recently).

It was funny though, at the beginning of the day I think I got pared with all the Christmas noobs, but then I started playing later in the day and then got absolutely bodied because I was in a lobby with 4 level 50s with 3 of them on one team. So much for the Christmas noobs.

hey, has anyone tried using the sploosh o matic for a while? i don't think it's a stellar weapon but i had a lot of fun using it and it taught me a lot about sneaking up on people instead of trying to trade shots, which usually ends in you killing each other and is less than ideal. two swim speed up mains and either ink resistance or cold blooded for the last main slot has been what i've been using, with as much run speed and swim speed ups as i can fit into my sub slots.

some quick tips:

1. always stay on the move. splatterdashing (basically shooting the ground) and super jumping back to spawn will save your skin in enemy ink.
2. if they see you, swim away. if they don't, use your speed to approach and kill. the sploosh kills faster than the roller if you're bear hugging them.
3. stay the FUCK outta mid. stick to the sides of the map, unless you have a kraken charged.

a lot of the experience you have with the sploosh can carry over to other shooters, especially all the practice you get with being dodgy and creative with your getaways. i've noticed a change in the way i dodge krakens and scoot around snipers and made dealing with the two easier!

so try out the sploosh sometime guys, especially if piranha pit, flounder heights, blackbelly skatepark, and other wide open maps are in rotation.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
overtime in rainmaker is making my blood pressure soar weeeeee

edit: another thing. has anybody been experiencing connection issues lately? I'm disconnecting semi-frequently (always from games that my team is winning in of course) and this never used to be an issue

Last edited:
hey i love sploon, just got S rank a day or so ago :)

i'm basically maining rollers now, so i'll have to pry my hands off them soon or else my shooter or charger aiming will take a nose dive x_X

anyway, i typed up some tips n tricks for a facebook group for scrublords like Jio . thought i'd share here, too! and to bump the thread..................... lmk what u think :) !!!

1. Don't main a weapon. This isn't smash bros where everyone has a cute face or recognizable feature to get attached to; they are WEAPONS. You can, however, main a category of weapons such as chargers, rollers, shooters, splatlings, etc. Don't get too comfortable with a given weapon, especially if it's something like Aerosprays on sniper-friendly maps like Moray.

2. Play single player. Already played single player? Speed run the levels. This is excellent practice to make yourself more efficient and faster, which is especially important in ranked. And another thing-- don't be afraid of ranked!

3. Ink the walls. No, it doesn't give you points, but inking specific walls (especially on Flounder Heights) helps you get the jump on people expecting you to stay on the ground. It also helps any rollers or chargers on your team get to key points because they have trouble inking walls. Inking sides of ramps is also useful to escape krakens and enemies.

4. Gear. It's not mandatory to have good gear to be in high ranks (I've seen streams where S+ players have crap gear), but there are a few abilities to keep an eye out for. Swim Speed Up, Ink Resistance, Cold Blooded, and Stealth Jump are the best general abilities. For ink guzzling weapons like the Dynamo Roller, the .96 Gal (regular and Deco), use Ink Saver Main and Ink Recovery Up. For Chargers, stack as much Damage Up as you can. For fast shooters like the Sploosh-O-Matic, Tentatek Splattershot, and Aerospray, try getting your hands on Run Speed Up as that helps with strafing and protects against trading kills. If you find yourself with an empty ability slot, try out Defense Up to help guard against Damage Up chargers. Oh, and Ink Resistance Up is, imo, REQUIRED on rollers. It's easy to get bogged down in enemy ink and ink resistance helps you get away.

Some abilities to stay away from are Recon, Opening Gambit, Last Ditch Effort, and Ninja Squid. Ninja Squid is useless if you know how to sneak around properly, which can be accomplished by tilting in the direction you want to go repeatedly before any ripples show up. It might be useful for clinging to walls, but the reduction in swim speed is generally not worth it.

5. Jump to Spawn! If you're deep in enemy territory, remember you can ALWAYS jump back to your spawn point. It saves you the respawn time and your special meter to do so, and you can just jump back to a teammate or beacon. It's also occasionally a good idea to jump back to spawn to fire off a quick Inkstrike if you have one.

6. Are you being spawn camped? Stay calm and close to your spawn point. It has a shield that can protect you, and you can focus on throwing bombs and killing the enemy team so you can make a quick push to mid and win the game. Alternatively, you can sneak behind them and ink the middle of the map, drawing them away from your spawn and giving your team the advantage. Also, if your team is actively spawn camping, check your opponent's options to prevent them from flanking you. Note that there is a difference between spawn camping and pushing your advantage.

---

and a few little things that i've noticed streamers, etc doing:

1. throwing a bomb out to a bare patch while swimming back into the action. it's a nice way to build your special meter and makes the trip back more meaningful.
2. strafing while shooting something like the splattershot and squelchers. messes up your opponent's aim. it's best to strafe counter clockwise because squids are right handed.
3. don't inkstrike their base unless there's 10 seconds left. just... don't.
4. keep moving to avoid snipers! don't stay in one spot for more than two seconds if a sniper is on its perch. even jumping around messes with their aim, but jumping down from a ledge basically means you've become sniper food. also, jumping in enemy goop is a faster way to get out of it if you're playing sniper or rollers.
5. also because squiddos are right handed, stay on the right side of obstacles so you can stay mostly covered while shooting. especially useful for SNOPERS

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Don't main a weapon. This isn't smash bros where everyone has a cute face or recognizable feature to get attached to; they are WEAPONS. You can, however, main a category of weapons such as chargers, rollers, shooters, splatlings, etc. Don't get too comfortable with a given weapon, especially if it's something like Aerosprays on sniper-friendly maps like Moray.
I've heard this from several top Splatoon players and YouTubers and sorta agree with it. I sorta agree with it, but I find it a lot more difficult to do this since if I were to "main chargers" it would kinda be implied that I'm good with all the chargers and can use any of them on different maps/modes. However I can really only use Squiffers and Splat Chargers effectively, making it hard for me to "choose a weapon type to main"

Most of your other tips are very accurate and I agree with most all of them. As far as abilities, I seriously think that most weapons can hold their own without fantastic gear/abilities. The exceptions to this would probably be chargers (which generally run either damage up/ink recovery or ink saver main/ink recovery sets), Dynamos which needs recovery/ink saver main and the Splattershot pro, which in my opinion desperately needs Ink Saver Main (at least the way I use it). Stealth Jump is more of a niche to me than anything; I wouldn't recommend it as a necessity or something close to it. As you stated, Ink Resistance is far more useful for your main shoe slot.

Your abilities also really depend on what modes you play as well. Quick Respawn will save you tons of time in Tower Control/Rainmaker and Swim/Run Speed Up can really help out if you're carrying the Rainmaker or helping out the carrier.

Lastly, just from some conversations in the Splatoon room, although it might seem cool to have a little of a bunch of different abilities, most people desire for "triple" or "quad" or "perfect" gear (gear that has the same ability in all three sub slots) to maximize the effect (which is certainly the best way to go). I think it's understandable that you'd go for this, since it just looks nice to have the slots look that way, but don't beat yourself over it. I generally refrain from rerolling gear that has helpful abilities in at least two of the sub slots and then just throwing on a different piece of equipment with the same sub ability to get the most out of that effect.

Well then. I just remembered about this game and thread. Now that everything's out, I should get back to playing. Lately the Zink Mini Splatling has been my weapon of choice.

Now if only that blasted mod of the Splatoon room on Showdown didn't instantly ban me for saying something he disagrees with.

while i'm feeling like being helpful, here's some youtubers/videos i like to watch for SPLOON!!!!! besides the obvious srb2dude, nintendome, and squid kids

Ika Aki - Japanese person who speaks little to no English, but tries anyway. Prefers the Mini Splatling, but uses other weapons as well. Consistent and quality matches.
Ryanator - Trick shots, 2v4 matches, helpful routes, and some glitches.
Filo ITA - Dynamo only channel, AKA a channel full of zoning examples for aspiring dynamos.
Tentacle Difficulties - Matches, trash talk vids. They're alright if you want some examples of people using callouts.
Vera - Tutorials and matches channel. The routes and shortcuts are especially useful.
fowskate - An entertaining let's play of a climb to S rank. Uses the analog controls, but is still fluent and almost indistinguishable from someone using gyro controls.
Quick Grabbing Tutorial - Useful!!!

Some good streamers to watch and learn stuff from:

AlbinoAlbatross - the best bamboozler main, faces some of the best teams with it. On the team SRL

Nikkeyy - an incredible sniper main, on the current best team, NSTC

PKfuzzy - NSTCs tentatek main, highly technical player

Sendouc - very good blaster main. On NSTC as well

Thatsrb2dude - smart shooter player, on tP

Samura1man - great Dynamo player, on NSTC

I'll edit in some more later, you can learn a lot from watching someone who plays differently, so I'd recommend these streamers

What do you think is the best special? I like Inkstrike and Bomb Rush, personally.
Definitely InkZooka as there's a reason why it's the highest costing special in the game at 220p. Incredibly fast, not difficult to aim with in the slightest, and benefits the most from online lag (which will occur in a good portion of games even if minimal).

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Bomb Rush has its perks, but I'd have to go with Inkzooka as well.

For all the fellow Americans:

I'm probably going to go with Snowman, but I see Sandcastle being less popular (with the trend being that the less popular team wins). Which side will you be joining?

I can't decide between Jetpacks and Hoverboards for the PAL one :( Can I have both???

Edit: I can't believe I watched all of that

You could try out the new weapons coming out tomorrow while you're there! I'm gonna give the Aerospray PG a whirl. Should be a significant change from my bucket mains.

In terms of ranked battle, does anyone have a least favorite mode and/or map? I dislike Rainmaker a lot (although I'm currently trying to use Octobrush in it). For maps, I usually try to skip rotations on Piranha Pit. I can't really get used to its layout sadly, and conveyor belts don't help with that. I also dislike Camp Triggerfish, but it's doable. Fortunately, Splatfest should take my mind off of Ranked Battle for a little bit..

For maps, I usually try to skip rotations on Piranha Pit. I can't really get used to its layout sadly, and conveyor belts don't help with that.
Tips from S+ for piranha pit:

"Go right."

I don't care what mode it is, go right. Be the person who pushes right. Tower control? Claim the right ramp and the space beside/behind it. Splatzones? Camp on the ramp, cover zone. Rainma... haha okay this one doesn't matter. TURF WAR. Go right and have fun claiming all that delicious enemy turf. If all of your teammates are camping on the left splatzone, or WORSE, on/near the right most conveyor beside the splatzone, mash the to me/c'mon button like you're having an aneurysm, because you should be having an aneurysm. Hell, if I had it my way, 3 players would go right and one would stay behind to defend.

Why? Divide the map in two based on side. Notice that the right side corresponds to the far end of mid. Staying on the left side is the equivalent to staying in or near your base on any other map, and if you're there, the opponents will have to come to you... meaning they've technically captured mid. Also, right is easier to defend for longer periods of time because the ramp gives you cover, mobility, and view of their spawn.

Also, not to put too fine of a point on it, if you always go left, OR fail to help me when I've been mashing "to me" OR flank hard left (anything left of the left splatzone area), you suck and I hate you. (Unless you're an eliter in which case that's okay.) Nothing personal, I've just lost far too many games on Piranha because of people being passive idiots. Piranha especially should be an easy map for me because I main a slosher.

SO MANY matches on Piranha specifically I've had go like this: I try to be the person who pushes, gets some kills, but gets slaughtered because I'm outnumbered consistently and because every time my team fails to defend left (which is often) I get sneak attacked from behind. We continue to try to make a comeback but clearly start losing through attrition. After the first initial loss of both areas I start spamming 'to me' (yes, even if they have our splatzone and the counter is going down but I am ignored. We continue to fail to make any progress. Last 30 seconds, the music changes, people start to take risks or panic, they actually follow me... we take their side, cut them off from the left base, claim loads of turf, charge specials, and effectively spawn camp or get selective kills long enough for the timer to catch up on a 40 second overtime counter (sometimes more) and win. And ideally I've taught my teammates a lesson, but I don't stick around in the same lobby after that because fuck those guys. Honestly it happens pretty often. About 1/3rd of my wins on Piranha look like that. (The other 2 are when people trended Right without my intervention.)

Tl;dr never defend unless you're in the process of losing, always always push to their side. Always identify which part of the map counts as "their side."

I found this pretty interesting for Splatoon 2.9.0: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17018
For both the bubbler and kraken specials, they are decreasing the duration of them by half a second. However, they are also boosting the duration they get from Special Duration Up. I don't really understand why they needed to nerf either special, unless they just want to encourage the use of Special Duration Up. On the other hand, I'm sort of glad the dynamo rollers are being adjusted.

In other news, Final Splatfest themes were announced:

I'm going to go with Team Callie for this. This is the final splatfest though, which means no more Super Sea Snails for rolling gear (unless they put in an alternate method of obtaining them).

I found this pretty interesting for Splatoon 2.9.0: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17018
For both the bubbler and kraken specials, they are decreasing the duration of them by half a second. However, they are also boosting the duration they get from Special Duration Up. I don't really understand why they needed to nerf either special, unless they just want to encourage the use of Special Duration Up. On the other hand, I'm sort of glad the dynamo rollers are being adjusted.

In other news, Final Splatfest themes were announced:

I'm going to go with Team Callie for this. This is the final splatfest though, which means no more Super Sea Snails for rolling gear (unless they put in an alternate method of obtaining them).
I thought I heard someone say they were gonna do that or were supposed to but that might have been just rumors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)