[SPOILERS] Battle Spot in Gen 7 Discussion - News, Speculation & Leaks

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think this shows that the A-slow-la comments about the potential Gen 7 pre-Bank meta (which I hate) may be justified. Nothing mentioned there is particularly quick.

Based on what I've read I believe HA's will be available through the new horde style battles (although whether this applies to the starters is unknown.) What I've not been able to see is whether breeding mechanics are the same. Also It's interesting to note no Dittos in that list. I guess that means breeding is going to be tough.
Ditto is thankfully in the Alolan Dex. Just gotta get a 0 Spe one for all the new TR teams in BSD and VGC!

Also yeah I dont think the starters will get their HA, since we've seen no way to get a wild starter battle.

Aegislash is in? - nvm on my team concept then. On the plus side, Aegi does well against many of the UBs and none of the Tapus really have a response to it, plus it gets to enjoy a meta without Heatran, Charizard, Landorus, or Bisharp. Actually it's pretty sad how effectively neutered the pool of Fire types are, so Tapu Bulu would make a great partner for it, making Weakness Policy sets even better than they already were and checking most of Aegi's remaining checks.

Just going off my previous point, the Tapus will define gen 7 Battle Spot even more than weather wars defined gen 5. They're just too good with many of the old staples as well as having lots of positive matchups.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo guys, remember ColdCune? Yeah, so this happened....

http://i.imgur.com/pgGNJfr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pBXGcRJ.jpg

Ice-types are now immune to Sheer Cold and it is even less likely to connect when not used by a Ice-type pokemon.

My prayers haven't been left unanswered.
Wow, this is actually is really great. I hope this means Freeze-Dry Lapras will become more popular as a Suicune counter, I know at least one guy who will be pretty happy about that.

I wonder if any of the other OHKO moves have gotten new restrictions or if this was really just for Suicune. I still think it's a far cry from Smogon ever unbanning them, but we'll appreciate it at least.

What do you think will be the "best way" to play BattleSpot Doubles in Gen 7? Something like Weather, Terrain, TR or even something like Weather+Terrain?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What do you think will be the "best way" to play BattleSpot Doubles in Gen 7? Something like Weather, Terrain, TR or even something like Weather+Terrain?
There's never any "best way" to play any format in terms of team archetype, at least at first - maybe, after a couple weeks in when the meta's settled, we'll have something resembling a "best team" such as the CHALK archetypes of Gen VI Battle Spot Doubles. Until that happens, though, we can only really speculate. Here's my two cents on that, in any case:
Given the huge influx of slow mons in the new games, I'd say there's little doubt that Trick Room's going to get a big boost, especially with a handful of good new setters such as Oranguru and Mimikyu now in the mix. Terrains will also turn the game on its head as all four of the Tapus are very usable and have their own significant competitive merits - Electric Terrain and Psychic Terrain are the only ones I can see having their own specific team archetype, as Misty Terrain and Grass Terrain offer more passive support than the former two, which are capable of setting up win conditions such as Alolan Raichu and Alakazam, respectively. Electric Rain with Tapu Koko and Pelipper will most likely be popular, if only because boosted, accurate Thunders are immensely appealing. The inclusion of Alolan Ninetales and Slush Rush will give Hail some added viability - it probably won't end up defining the meta but it'll be something to look out for; Sand's viability depends on the setters and sweepers that are available (basically, if Tyranitar and Excadrill aren't both in then forget it); Sun loses Mega Charizard Y and possibly non-Alolan Ninetales so it has to rely on Torkoal, which hurts its viability considerably); and Rain I've covered above, but it could be seen with Tapu Koko on some builds. Either way, Rain will be popular and Gigalith and Ninetales will see their fair share of action as counterplay for that. Aside from those, I'd expect most builds to be either TR or bulky goodstuffs builds that have been designed to beat Trick Room - hyper offense doesn't really have enough fast abusers unless someone can get Pheromosa and Kartana to work, and it gets royally dicked by TR most of the time anyway. I guess we'll see when the game drops on Friday :)

You could definitely argue Grass Terrain makes its own team archetype considering what kinds of mons can abuse it, namely Xurkitree, Aegislash, and MegaGross. It helps that the pool of Fire types is pretty pathetic to check all the new Steel, Fairy, and Bug threats with the loss of Entei, Heatran, Blaziken, Rotom-H, Volcarona, and Megazard (and an additionally nerfed Talonflame). Tapu Bulu also warrants consideration simply because the pool of Grass types is similarly depressing (no Venusaur, Amoonguss, or Ferrothorn and goodbye to President Obamasnow....) and would likely be needed as part of a core to help check Rain teams w/ Assault Vest. Given the partners good for it, you could benefit from enemy rain yourself.

I can definitely see Terrain wars being a thing since they're so good at supporting many staples and the Tapus themselves are very good - the best way to negate the effects of Terrain is to use your own!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Ash-Greninja is banned? Cause I am so desperate to use it right now in doubles.

Does anyone know if Ash-Greninja is banned? Cause I am so desperate to use it right now in doubles.
The section about special rules for season1 here reads:
In a special Season 1, which will begin November 18, this special format is anticipated to be a Single Battle format where you’ll be able to participate with Pokémon that cannot take part under other battle rules: the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala, the Magearna that can be obtained through the QR Scanner, the Ash-Greninja obtainable through the Special Demo Version, and others!
Pretty much implies it won't be legal on the regular battlespot ladders

https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/799099789476499456

Dark-types are immune to enemy Prankster status moves. I consider this a third nerf to Thunder Wave, considering that every Prankster user besides Whimsicott, Banette and Sableye abused it (and I suspect Prankster Sableye will soon be irrelevant due to the mechanics changes related to mega evolving).

imo the main implication for this would be a significant decline in Thundurus usage post-Bank. We got some great Electrics in Koko and Xurkitree with its only real differentiator being Knock Off, and being unaffected by Terrains is both a blessing and a curse. It's definitely not as good as it was in previous gens

Last edited:
I've been wondering about the Prankster nerf for a bit, and I think that it's a response to the broken Mega Gengar-Whimsicott combo in doubles

I've been wondering about the Prankster nerf for a bit, and I think that it's a response to the broken Mega Gengar-Whimsicott combo in doubles
I think it's more likely a response to Thundurus. Especially after the Swagger and Twave spam at Worlds 2015. And not even just Thundurus, Prankster in general is just really powerful, looking at Klefki and Sporecats.

With so many changes to the mechanics, I feel like competitive Pokemon is going to be very, very different from Gen VI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)