OU Stakataka

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Stakataka carves its niche in OU as a solid offensive Trick Room user, utilizing its low Speed in tandem with Attack boosts from Beast Boost to clean up opposing teams. In particular, its STAB Gyro Ball is incredibly powerful, even leaving enormous dents in Pokemon that resist it. When this is combined with Continental Crush and Superpower, taking Stakataka on defensively is a difficult task. Due to Trick Room, Stakataka is also difficult to revenge kill, making it a serious late-game threat to offensive teams. With that said, weaknesses to common attacking types, including two quadruple weaknesses to Ground and Fighting, limit Stakataka's opportunities to switch in and hinder the utility of its fantastic raw bulk. Furthermore, it becomes much easier to handle defensively once it has used up Continental Crush, and its ability to be checked by staple Pokemon like Landorus-T and revenge killed by Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken makes it a manageable threat for offense.

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Superpower
item: Rockium Z
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Lonely
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 15 Def / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
With its very low Speed and high attacking power, Stakataka makes for an ideal user of Trick Room, enabling it to punch holes and wreak havoc against weakened teams. As Stakataka is much slower than most of its foes, Gyro Ball reaches its maximum Base Power against any Pokemon with 186 Speed or higher, giving Stakataka a 150-Base Power nuke against most of the OU tier. To provide an idea of Gyro Ball's raw power, it has a chance to OHKO Blacephalon and usually 2HKOes Keldeo, both of which resist the attack. Stone Edge is Stakataka's other STAB attack and is quite powerful in its own right, allowing Stakataka to break through defensive threats like Celesteela, Toxapex, defensive Mega Scizor, and Landorus-T with the help of Rockium Z. For the last slot, Superpower is preferred to prevent Stakataka from being walled by Ferrothorn as well as to OHKO Kartana and Excadrill, which would otherwise be very solid checks. It also KOes offensive Magnezone sets with a bit of chip damage, which is notable because Magnezone can trap and usually KO Stakataka with Gigavolt Havoc. It's worth noting that Beast Boost helps negate the Attack drops from Superpower, meaning that its use is generally not detrimental to a sweep. Alternatively, Earthquake can be chosen to increase Stakataka's effectiveness against certain defensive cores if Ferrothorn is handled adequately by teammates, allowing it to defeat Toxapex and Heatran without using Continental Crush while still hitting Excadrill and Magnezone.

Set Details
========
Rockium Z makes it much easier for Stakataka to break down defensive cores, allowing it to to break through Pokemon like defensive Mega Scizor and Landorus-T that would otherwise wall it. Additionally, it gives Stakataka perfect accuracy for one use of its Rock STAB attack and extra power to secure KOs when needed. If your team is running another Z-Move user, Life Orb is an option, but it makes Stakataka easier to wear down and limits its breaking capabilities. The EV spread focuses on maximizing Stakataka's bulk and offensive power, while 0 Speed IVs ensure that Stakataka outspeeds most of the tier in Trick Room and make Gyro Ball as powerful as possible. 15 Defense IVs and a Lonely nature are used to make Beast Boost give Attack boosts instead of Defense boosts, which enhances Stakataka's cleaning capabilities, as it becomes more difficult to stop with each KO it obtains.

Usage Tips
========
The general goal for this set is simple: set up Trick Room and clean up the opposing team. To this end, it is critical to keep in mind that you have a limited number of Trick Room turns when attempting a sweep, as Stakataka becomes fairly easy to revenge kill once Trick Room is finished. Furthermore, while Stakataka's typing and bulk allow it to check threats like Mega Mawile and Latios, you should try to keep Stakataka healthy enough to take a hit when setting up Trick Room and survive priority attacks while cleaning if you want it to win games effectively. Against some teams, particularly balance, Stakataka might instead be more successful as a breaker, while other teams might have hard stops to it; in both cases, you have leeway to play less conservatively with Stakataka. This set primarily uses Gyro Ball to attack because of its incredibly high power and perfect accuracy, typically preserving Continental Crush where it is needed to break a defensive threat or secure a guaranteed KO. If running Superpower, remember that it drops Stakataka's Defense, which is mostly significant if Stakataka is already weakened, as priority moves like Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch and Mega Scizor's Swords Dance-boosted Bullet Punch become more threatening.

Team Options
========
Stakataka fits best on bulky offense teams as a standalone offensive Trick Room user due to its solid breaking and cleaning capabilities combined with some valuable defensive utility. Tapu Bulu is a fantastic partner, resisting both of Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and checking the Water-types that threaten its ability to clean. Landorus-T is another partner that covers Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and can give it opportunities to switch in with U-turn, as well as potentially chip at defensive answers to Stakataka with Toxic or Knock Off. Pokemon that can weaken Landorus-T and other Stakataka checks like bulky Water-types make for good offensive partners; some examples include Mega Medicham, the aforementioned Tapu Bulu, Kartana, and Mega Pinsir. Lures and partners that can put pressure on Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, such as Hidden Power Fire Tapu Lele, Hidden Power Fire Tapu Koko, and Blacephalon, are helpful.

Stakataka can also fit onto dedicated Trick Room teams alongside partners like Uxie and Cresselia, which cover Stakataka's 4x weaknesses, give additional Trick Room support, and provide additional utility like Uxie's Stealth Rock and Cresselia's Lunar Dance. Offensive partners like Alolan Marowak, Magearna, and Crawdaunt that can put pressure on defensive answers to Stakataka are also effective.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
Choice Band is an option due to its insane power, especially with Gyro Ball, but the Trick Room set has a superior matchup against offense while having an easier time breaking down defensive cores between the ability to switch moves and access to Rockium Z.

Checks and Counters
========
**Ground-types**: Defensive Landorus-T is a pretty good answer to Stakataka, as it needs to be weakened to at least half HP for Stakataka to even KO with its Z-Move. With access to Roost and the ability to KO with Earthquake, Gliscor is a decent answer, although standard non-physically defensive variants crumble to Continental Crush if slightly weakened. It is important to note that neither Landorus-T nor Gliscor can handle Stakataka once it has an Attack boost under its belt, so they must switch in before Stakataka has Trick Room up and has secured a KO. Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon hard counter Stakataka, tanking any hit with ease while having access to reliable recovery and super effective STAB moves to retaliate with. From an offensive standpoint, offensive Landorus-T variants, Zygarde, and Garchomp can all serve as effective checks, able to switch in once and threaten Stakataka with Earthquake.

**Water-types**: Aside from Gastrodon and Quagsire, which resist both of Stakataka's STAB moves due to their secondary Ground typing, some bulky Water-types can serve as usable answers to Stakataka. Alomomola is a fairly solid counter, surviving Stone Edge followed by Continental Crush. Certain other bulky Water-types, such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Suicune, can tank a hit but are too unreliable at dealing with Continental Crush to be considered solid counters. Keldeo is a good offensive check, able to tank both STAB attacks and retaliate with a KO. Ash-Greninja can revenge kill Stakataka with Water Shuriken, which is helpful counterplay for offensive teams that have trouble tanking a hit from it late-game.

**Steel-types**: Defensive Mega Scizor is a good answer to Stakataka, as it can deal with Continental Crush and otherwise walls Stakataka effectively. If Stakataka lacks Superpower, Ferrothorn is a solid counter and Kartana is a good check. Magnezone can revenge kill Stakataka and typically KOes with Gigavolt Havoc, though it is unable to revenge kill when Trick Room is up. Excadrill can perform a similar role, able to switch into Stakataka's STAB attacks and revenge kill it.

**Fighting-types**: With Electric Seed or Grassy Seed, Hawlucha can survive a Gyro Ball and KO in return with High Jump Kick. Although other Fighting-types that aren't Keldeo are unable to deal with Gyro Ball, they are still notable for exploiting Stakataka's 4x Fighting weakness. Fighting-type coverage on Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Alakazam can also be very potent, though they lose if Trick Room is up. Fake Out from Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham can also be effective to stall a turn of Trick Room, putting Stakataka in a bad position if it is on its last turn of Trick Room.

**Strong Special Attacks**: As Stakataka is not particularly specially bulky, high-powered special attacks from Pokemon like Blacephalon, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele will deal significant damage to it, limiting Stakataka's opportunities to switch in and set up depending on how much health it has left. For instance, Choice Specs-boosted Psychic from Tapu Lele 2HKOes Stakataka on the switch, limiting the use of Stakataka's Psychic resistance.

**Offensive Pressure**: For offensive teams, it is important to keep pressure on Stakataka and not give it free setup opportunities while preserving priority users, particularly Ash-Greninja, to prevent the team from being swept.

Last edited:
15 IVs my man. Beast Boost prioritizes Attack, so you want Attack to equal Defense.

Just so this isn't a one-liner, here are a couple of things I'd change, wait for QC's opinion on it, though. I think you shouldn't make Choice Band a set, OTR is what keeps Stakataka viable in OU in my opinion. I'd also add Brave to OO and mention Stealth Rock in moves rather than in OO (though not slashed).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
15 IVs my man. Beast Boost prioritizes Attack, so you want Attack to equal Defense.

Just so this isn't a one-liner, here are a couple of things I'd change, wait for QC's opinion on it, though. I think you shouldn't make Choice Band a set, OTR is what keeps Stakataka viable in OU in my opinion. I'd also add Brave to OO and mention Stealth Rock in moves rather than in OO (though not slashed).
yeah, my error on the ivs. i did put that i'm planning to put in cb as a set, but it's actually tentative and i'm moreso waiting to try it out myself/hear other opinions on it - in theory i tend to agree with you, though. i'm not really interested in listing brave because i think the attack boost is just much more valuable. finally, i'd rather keep sr in oo because there's barely anything there in the first place, and i feel as if stak tends to benefit more from the extra coverage than squeezing sr onto its set.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I would mention somewhere in the Overview/Usage Tips that it has the same issue other otr mons have (see: Magearna) in that the limited tr turns make it a somewhat inconsistent cleaner and reliant on prediction to an extent because it stops being a threat when tr runs out. Good job QC 1/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, I think that it's more worthwhile to put Earthquake in Moves instead of a slash. Breaking through Kartana (and Ferrothorn) are more important IMO since Superpower still covers the Steel-types you were normally hitting with Earthquake for massive damage output (you just have rockier chances of OHKOes) and the Attack drop is nullified once you get a Beast Boost. The Defense drop is annoying, I would probably note that it does make Stakataka a bit softer to moves such as Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor.
- This set can be used as part of a dedicated Trick Room team, but its general effectiveness tends to be on bulky offense teams due to its solid breaking/cleaning capabilities combined with fairly useful defensive merit.
Still mention Trick Room partners since Stakataka has been known to run effectively in full Trick Room teams as well. Just your general Trick Room teammates will suffice (Uxie for Rocks, Cresselia for Lunar Dance, both for Ground immunity, stuff that covers Stakataka's shortcomings, etc).
- With Stakataka's solid bulk and ability to threaten switches, Stealth Rock is a potential option, though Trick Room sets typically prefer to have all three attacking moveslots and non-Trick Room sets are simply less effective.
I would just remove Stealth Rock for now.
**Steel-types**: Defensive Mega Scizor is a good answer to Stakataka, as it can deal with Continental Crush and otherwise walls Stakataka effectively. Without Superpower, Ferrothorn is a solid counter and Kartana is a good check.
Since you mentioned some offensive Ground-types, you can add Excadrill and Magnezone. Magnezone can OHKO with Gigavolt Havoc most of the time while Excadrill can at least switch into any of Stakataka's STABs or, if Trick Room isn't up, can just revenge kill it with STAB Earthquake. Mention Magnezone also traps Stakataka.
**Fighting-types**: Although Fighting-types that aren't Keldeo are unable to deal with Gyro Ball, they are still notable for exploiting Stakataka's 4x Fighting weakness. Fighting-type coverage on Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Alakazam can also be very potent, though they lose if Trick Room is up.
You can mention with Fake Out Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham can stall a turn of Trick Room - leaving Stakataka high and dry if it's the last turn of Trick Room. Also mention Hawlucha can tank a Gyro Ball or Continental Crush if it's Electric Seed or Grassy Seed (252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (125 BP) vs. +1 104 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 192-226 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

2/3

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
Also, I think that it's more worthwhile to put Earthquake in Moves instead of a slash. Breaking through Kartana (and Ferrothorn) are more important IMO since Superpower still covers the Steel-types you were normally hitting with Earthquake for massive damage output (you just have rockier chances of OHKOes) and the Attack drop is nullified once you get a Beast Boost. The Defense drop is annoying, I would probably note that it does make Stakataka a bit softer to moves such as Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor.
dropped the eq slash, i agree that spower is the preferable option
Still mention Trick Room partners since Stakataka has been known to run effectively in full Trick Room teams as well. Just your general Trick Room teammates will suffice (Uxie for Rocks, Cresselia for Lunar Dance, both for Ground immunity, stuff that covers Stakataka's shortcomings, etc).
mentioned uxie/cress for defensive synergistic reasons and also common tr offensive partners, think that should be enough.
I would just remove Stealth Rock for now.

Since you mentioned some offensive Ground-types, you can add Excadrill and Magnezone. Magnezone can OHKO with Gigavolt Havoc most of the time while Excadrill can at least switch into any of Stakataka's STABs or, if Trick Room isn't up, can just revenge kill it with STAB Earthquake. Mention Magnezone also traps Stakataka.

You can mention with Fake Out Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham can stall a turn of Trick Room - leaving Stakataka high and dry if it's the last turn of Trick Room. Also mention Hawlucha can tank a Gyro Ball or Continental Crush if it's Electric Seed or Grassy Seed (252+ Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (125 BP) vs. +1 104 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 192-226 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

2/3
implemented, this will be written up soon

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Stakataka carves its niche in OU as a solid offensive Trick Room user, utilizing its low Speed and in tandem with (or w/e else to not make this read like "Speed and Attack boosts") Attack boosts from Beast Boost to clean up opposing teams. In particular, its STAB Gyro Ball is incredibly powerful, even leaving enormous dents in Pokemon that resist it. When this is combined with Continental Crush and Superpower, taking Stakataka on defensively is a difficult task. Due to Trick Room, Stakataka is also difficult to revenge kill, making it a serious late-game threat to offensive teams. With that said, weaknesses to common attacking types, including two quadruple weaknesses to Ground and Fighting, limit Stakataka's switch-in opportunities to switch in and hinder the utility of its fantastic raw bulk. Furthermore, it becomes much easier to handle defensively once it has used up Continental Crush, while its ability to be checked by staple Pokemon like Landorus-T and revenge killed by Ash-Greninja's (AH) Water Shuriken make makes it a manageable threat for offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
With its very low Speed and high attacking power, Stakataka makes for an ideal user of Trick Room, enabling it to punch holes and wreak havoc against weakened teams. As Stakataka is much slower than most of its foes, Gyro Ball reaches its maximum Base Power against any Pokemon with 186 Speed or higher, giving Stakataka a 150-BP (AH) nuke against most of the OU tier. To provide an idea of Gyro Ball's raw power, it has a chance to OHKO Blacephalon and usually 2HKOes Keldeo, both of which resist the attack. Stone Edge is Stakataka's other STAB attack and is quite powerful in its own right, allowing Stakataka to break through defensive threats like Celesteela, Toxapex, defensive Mega Scizor, and Landorus-T with the help of Rockium Z. For the last slot, Superpower is preferred to prevent Stakataka from being walled by Ferrothorn as well as to OHKOing Kartana and Excadrill, which would otherwise be very solid checks. It also KOes offensive Magnezone sets with a bit of chip damage, which is notable because Magnezone can trap and usually KO Stakataka with Gigavolt Havoc. It's worth noting that Beast Boost helps negate the Attack drops from Superpower, meaning that its use is generally not detrimental to a sweep. Alternatively, Earthquake can be chosen to increase Stakataka's effectiveness against certain defensive cores if Ferrothorn is handled adequately by teammates, allowing it to defeat Toxapex and Heatran without using Continental Crush while still hitting Excadrill and Magnezone.

Set Details
========
Rockium Z makes it much easier for Stakataka to break down defensive cores, allowing it to to break through Pokemon like defensive Mega Scizor and Landorus-T that would otherwise wall it. Additionally, it gives Stakataka perfect accuracy for one use of its Rock STAB attack and extra power to secure KOs when needed. If your team is running another Z-Move user, Life Orb is an option, but it makes Stakataka easier to wear down and limits its breaking capabilities. The EV spread focuses on maximizing Stakataka's bulk and offensive power, while 0 Speed IVs ensure that Stakataka outspeeds most of the tier in Trick Room and make Gyro Ball as powerful as possible. 15 Defense IVs and a Lonely nature are used to make Beast Boost give Attack boosts instead of Defense boosts, which enhances Stakataka's cleaning capabilities, (AC) as it becomes more difficult to stop with each KO it obtains.

Usage Tips
========
The general goal for this set is simple: set up Trick Room and clean up the opposing team. To this end, it is critical to keep in mind that you have a limited number of Trick Room turns when attempting a sweep, as Stakataka becomes fairly easy to revenge kill once Trick Room is finished. Furthermore, while Stakataka's typing and bulk allow it to check threats like Mega Mawile and Latios, you should try to keep Stakataka healthy enough to take a hit when setting up Trick Room and survive priority attacks while cleaning if you want it to be an effective win condition win games effectively. Against some teams, particularly balance, Stakataka might instead be more successful as a breaker, while other teams might have hard stops to it; in both cases, you have leeway to play less conservatively with Stakataka. This set primarily uses Gyro Ball to attack because of its incredibly high power and perfect accuracy, typically preserving Continental Crush where it is needed to break a defensive threat or secure a guaranteed KO. If running Superpower, remember that it drops Stakataka's Defense, which is mostly significant if Stakataka is already weakened, (AC) as priority moves like Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch and Mega Scizor's Swords Dance-boosted Bullet Punch become more threatening.

Team Options
========
Stakataka fits best on bulky offense teams as a standalone offensive Trick Room user due to its solid breaking and cleaning capabilities combined with some valuable defensive utility. Tapu Bulu is a fantastic partner, resisting both of Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and checking the Water-types that threaten its ability to clean. Landorus-T is another partner that covers Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and can give it switch-in opportunities to switch in with U-turn, as well as potentially chip at defensive answers to Stakataka with Toxic or Knock Off. Pokemon that can weaken Landorus-T and other Stakataka checks like bulky Water-types make for good offensive partners; some examples include Mega Medicham, the aforementioned Tapu Bulu, Kartana, and Mega Pinsir. Lures and partners that can put pressure on Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, such as Hidden Power Fire Tapu Lele, Hidden Power Fire Tapu Koko, and Blacephalon, are helpful.

Stakataka can also fit onto dedicated Trick Room teams alongside partners like Uxie and Cresselia, which cover Stakataka's 4x weaknesses, give additional Trick Room support, and provide additional utility like Uxie's Stealth Rock and Cresselia's Lunar Dance. Offensive partners like Alolan Marowak, Magearna, and Crawdaunt that can put pressure on defensive answers to Stakataka are also effective.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
Choice Band is an option due to its insane power, especially with Gyro Ball, but the Trick Room set has a superior matchup against offense while having an easier time breaking down defensive cores between the ability to switch moves and access to Rockium Z.

Checks and Counters
========
**Ground-types**: Defensive Landorus-T is a pretty good answer to Stakataka, as it needs to be weakened to at least half HP for Stakataka to even KO with its Z-Move. With access to Roost and the ability to KO with Earthquake, Gliscor is a decent answer, although standard non-physically defensive variants crumble to Continental Crush if slightly weakened. It is important to note that neither Landorus-T nor Gliscor can handle Stakataka once it has an Attack boost under its belt, so they must switch in before Stakataka has Trick Room up and has secure secured a KO. Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon hard counter Stakataka, tanking any hit with ease while having access to reliable recovery and super effective STABs to retaliate with. From an offensive standpoint, offensive Landorus-T variants, Zygarde, and Garchomp can all serve as effective checks, able to switch in once and threaten Stakataka with Earthquake.

**Water-types**: Aside from Gastrodon and Quagsire, which resist both of Stakataka's STAB types due to their secondary Ground typing, some bulky Water-types can serve as usable answers to Celesteela. Alomomola is a fairly solid counter, surviving Stone Edge followed by Continental Crush. Certain other bulky Water-types, such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Suicune, can tank a hit but are too unreliable at dealing with Continental Crush to be considered solid counters. Keldeo is a good offensive check, able to tank both STAB attacks and retaliate with a KO. Ash Greninja can revenge kill Stakataka with Water Shuriken, which is helpful counterplay for offensive teams that have trouble tanking a hit from it late-game.

**Steel-types**: Defensive Mega Scizor is a good answer to Stakataka, as it can deal with Continental Crush and otherwise walls Stakataka effectively. Without If Stakataka lacks Superpower, Ferrothorn is a solid counter and Kartana is a good check. Magnezone can revenge kill Stakataka and typically KOs KOes with Gigavolt Havoc, though it is unable to revenge kill when Trick Room is up. Excadrill can perform a similar role, able to switch into Stakataka's STAB attacks and revenge kill it.

**Fighting-types**: With Electric Seed or Grassy Seed, Hawlucha can survive a Gyro Ball and KO in return with High Jump Kick. Although other Fighting-types that aren't Keldeo are unable to deal with Gyro Ball, they are still notable for exploiting Stakataka's 4x Fighting weakness. Fighting-type coverage on Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Alakazam can also be very potent, though they lose if Trick Room is up. Fake Out from Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham can also be effective to stall a turn of Trick Room, putting Stakataka in a bad position if it is on its last turn of Trick Room.

**Strong Special Attacks**: As Stakataka is not particularly bulky specially, high-powered special attacks from Pokemon like Blacephalon, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele will deal significant damage to it, limiting Stakataka's switch-in and setup opportunities to switch in and set up depending on how much health it has left. For instance, Choice Specs-boosted Psychic from Tapu Lele 2HKOes Stakataka on the switch, limiting the use of Stakataka's Psychic resistance.

**Offensive Pressure**: For offensive teams, it is important to keep pressure on Stakataka and not give it free setup opportunities while preserving priority users, particularly Ash-Greninja, (AH) to prevent the team from being swept.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
Stakataka carves its niche in OU as a solid offensive Trick Room user, utilizing its low Speed in tandem with Attack boosts from Beast Boost to clean up opposing teams. In particular, its STAB Gyro Ball is incredibly powerful, even leaving enormous dents in Pokemon that resist it. When this is combined with Continental Crush and Superpower, taking Stakataka on defensively is a difficult task. Due to Trick Room, Stakataka is also difficult to revenge kill, making it a serious late-game threat to offensive teams. With that said, weaknesses to common attacking types, including two quadruple weaknesses to Ground and Fighting, limit Stakataka's opportunities to switch in and hinder the utility of its fantastic raw bulk. Furthermore, it becomes much easier to handle defensively once it has used up Continental Crush, while and its ability to be checked by staple Pokemon like Landorus-T and revenge killed by Ash-Greninja's Water Shuriken makes it a manageable threat for offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
With its very low Speed and high attacking power, Stakataka makes for an ideal user of Trick Room, enabling it to punch holes and wreak havoc against weakened teams. As Stakataka is much slower than most of its foes, Gyro Ball reaches its maximum Base Power against any Pokemon with 186 Speed or higher, giving Stakataka a 150-Base Power nuke against most of the OU tier. To provide an idea of Gyro Ball's raw power, it has a chance to OHKO Blacephalon and usually 2HKOes Keldeo, both of which resist the attack. Stone Edge is Stakataka's other STAB attack and is quite powerful in its own right, allowing Stakataka to break through defensive threats like Celesteela, Toxapex, defensive Mega Scizor, and Landorus-T with the help of Rockium Z. For the last slot, Superpower is preferred to prevent Stakataka from being walled by Ferrothorn as well as to OHKO Kartana and Excadrill, which would otherwise be very solid checks. It also KOes offensive Magnezone sets with a bit of chip damage, which is notable because Magnezone can trap and usually KO Stakataka with Gigavolt Havoc. It's worth noting that Beast Boost helps negate the Attack drops from Superpower, meaning that its use is generally not detrimental to a sweep. Alternatively, Earthquake can be chosen to increase Stakataka's effectiveness against certain defensive cores if Ferrothorn is handled adequately by teammates, allowing it to defeat Toxapex and Heatran without using Continental Crush while still hitting Excadrill and Magnezone.

Set Details
========
Rockium Z makes it much easier for Stakataka to break down defensive cores, allowing it to to break through Pokemon like defensive Mega Scizor and Landorus-T that would otherwise wall it. Additionally, it gives Stakataka perfect accuracy and extra power for one use of its Rock STAB attack and extra power to secure KOs when needed. If your team is running another Z-Move user, Life Orb is an option, but it makes Stakataka easier to wear down and limits its breaking capabilities. The EV spread focuses on maximizing Stakataka's bulk and offensive power, while 0 Speed IVs ensure that Stakataka outspeeds most of the tier in Trick Room and make Gyro Ball as powerful as possible. 15 Defense IVs and a Lonely nature are used to make Beast Boost give Attack boosts instead of Defense boosts, which enhances Stakataka's cleaning capabilities, (AC) (keep comma remove "(AC)") as it becomes more difficult to stop with each KO it obtains.

Usage Tips
========
The general goal for this set is simple: set up Trick Room and clean up the opposing team. To this end, it is critical to keep in mind that you have a limited number of Trick Room turns when attempting a sweep, as Stakataka becomes fairly easy to revenge kill once Trick Room is finished. Furthermore, while Stakataka's typing and bulk allow it to check threats like Mega Mawile and Latios, you should try to keep Stakataka healthy enough to take a hit when setting up Trick Room and survive priority attacks while cleaning if you want it to win games effectively. Against some teams, particularly balance, Stakataka might instead be more successful as a breaker, while other teams might have hard stops to it; in both cases, you have leeway to play less conservatively with Stakataka. This set primarily uses Gyro Ball to attack because of its incredibly high power and perfect accuracy, typically preserving Continental Crush where it is needed to break a defensive threat or secure a guaranteed KO. If running Superpower, remember that it drops Stakataka's Defense, which is mostly significant if Stakataka is already weakened, as priority moves like Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch and Mega Scizor's Swords Dance-boosted Bullet Punch become more threatening.

Team Options
========
Stakataka fits best on bulky offense teams as a standalone offensive Trick Room user due to its solid breaking and cleaning capabilities combined with some valuable defensive utility. Tapu Bulu is a fantastic partner, resisting both of Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and checking the Water-types that threaten its ability to clean. Landorus-T is another partner that covers Stakataka's 4x weaknesses and can give it opportunities to switch in with U-turn, as well as potentially chip at defensive answers to Stakataka with Toxic or Knock Off. Pokemon that can weaken Landorus-T and other Stakataka checks like bulky Water-types make for good offensive partners; some examples include Mega Medicham, the aforementioned Tapu Bulu, Kartana, and Mega Pinsir. Lures and partners that can put pressure on Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, such as Hidden Power Fire Tapu Lele, Hidden Power Fire Tapu Koko, and Blacephalon, are helpful.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Checks and Counters
========
**Ground-types**: Defensive Landorus-T is a pretty good answer to Stakataka, as it needs to be weakened to at least half HP for Stakataka to even KO with its Z-Move. With access to Roost and the ability to KO with Earthquake, Gliscor is a decent answer, although standard non-physically defensive variants crumble to Continental Crush if slightly weakened. It is important to note that neither Landorus-T nor Gliscor can handle Stakataka once it has an Attack boost under its belt, so they must switch in before Stakataka has Trick Room up and has secured a KO. Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon hard counter Stakataka, tanking any hit with ease while having access to reliable recovery and super effective STABs STAB moves to retaliate with. From an offensive standpoint, offensive Landorus-T variants, Zygarde, and Garchomp can all serve as effective checks, able to switch in once and threaten Stakataka with Earthquake.

**Water-types**: Aside from Gastrodon and Quagsire, which resist both of Stakataka's STAB types moves due to their secondary Ground typing, some bulky Water-types can serve as usable answers to Celesteela Stakataka. Alomomola is a fairly solid counter, surviving Stone Edge followed by Continental Crush. Certain other bulky Water-types, such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and Suicune, can tank a hit but are too unreliable at dealing with Continental Crush to be considered solid counters. Keldeo is a good offensive check, able to tank both STAB attacks and retaliate with a KO. Ash-(AH)Greninja can revenge kill Stakataka with Water Shuriken, which is helpful counterplay for offensive teams that have trouble tanking a hit from it late-game.

**Steel-types**: Defensive Mega Scizor is a good answer to Stakataka, as it can deal with Continental Crush and otherwise walls Stakataka effectively. If Stakataka lacks Superpower, Ferrothorn is a solid counter and Kartana is a good check. Magnezone can revenge kill Stakataka and typically KOes with Gigavolt Havoc, though it is unable to revenge kill when Trick Room is up. Excadrill can perform a similar role, able to switch into Stakataka's STAB attacks and revenge kill it.

**Strong Special Attacks**: As Stakataka is not particularly specially bulky specially, high-powered special attacks from Pokemon like Blacephalon, Tapu Koko, and Tapu Lele will deal significant damage to it, limiting Stakataka's opportunities to switch in and set up depending on how much health it has left. For instance, Choice Specs-boosted Psychic from Tapu Lele 2HKOes Stakataka on the switch, limiting the use of Stakataka's Psychic resistance.

**Offensive Pressure**: For offensive teams, it is important to keep pressure on Stakataka and not give it free setup opportunities while preserving priority users, particularly Ash-Greninja, to prevent the team from being swept.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)