SM UU Sticky Web Adventure

What is the best Xurkitree set?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't played much UU since the near end of ORAS, but now that I have started playing again, I gotta say SM UU is REALLY fun. I built this team for the Conkeldurr suspect because Conk being gone makes it easier to use so many more mons. I figured since the power creep was so massive and the fact that everything in UU is slow as molasses (with the exception of Crobat), I thought I might try some kind of offense team, and I figured since everything is quite slow, why not try Sticky Web? Conk not being able to spam Mach Punch (thanks to it being suspected ofc) So without further ado, let's get roooooiiight into the team! (Kill Me)

galvantula icon.png

Judging by the fact that this is a Sticky Web team its pretty obvious that I would choose the best suicide webs lead in UU, good old Galvantula.
galvantula icon.png
haxorus icon.png

I personally don't like Haxorus, as I think there are plenty of better Dragons out there. However no one can deny that this mon just screams Sticky Web, so I thought wynaut lets chuck it on here, and boy does it not disappoint. Dragon Dance + webs to slow down scarfers = rip opponents team.
galvantula icon.png
haxorus icon.png
decidueye icon.png

Some method of denying hazard removal is required for webs teams so Decidueye basically just jumped into this spot. Being a ghost that can set up and nuke things with SAR (Sinister Arrow Raid) as well as Spirit Shackle having a trapping effect makes Decidueye mandatory for webs imo. Also can't go wrong with some nice priority in the form of Sucker Punch.
galvantula icon.png
haxorus icon.png
decidueye icon.png
cobalion icon.png

Because Galvantula doesn't get Stealth Rock, and because Smeargle is OU, I needed a mon that could get up Stealth Rock reliably, so enter Cobalion. I LOVE this mon. Great type, great bulk, cool Ability, cool moves, Cobalion has everything you need for an offensive pivot. Also gives me a semi-Crobat answer and pretty safe answer to Dark types in general.
galvantula icon.png
haxorus icon.png
decidueye icon.png
cobalion icon.png
weavile icon.png

Since Weavile just got unbanned I figured why not use it? This mon will not disappoint you. Ice/Dark is fantastic STAB, nice priority, and can Pursuit trap the likes of Latias, Chandelure, and just annoying Psychics/Ghosts in general. Would have been great to have when Gengar was around but whatever.
galvantula icon.png
haxorus icon.png
decidueye icon.png
cobalion icon.png
weavile icon.png
xurkitree icon.png

The majority of offense teams struggle with stall in general, and webs is no exception. Everyone knows the answer to such a dilemma, however, Xurkitree! Seriously, Xurkitree is a fantastic mon. Jupiter levels 173 Special Attack, TAIL GLOW (seriously whos idea was it to give this thing tail glow what the fuck), and perfect neutral coverage turns this mon into the best stallbreaker in the tier (and probably in the game, lets be real here) and given Sticky Web support its nigh unbeatable. Great mon, never switching this one out except for very specific reasons.
galvantula icon.png
hydreigon icon.png
decidueye icon.png
cobalion icon.png
weavile icon.png
xurkitree icon.png

After some testing I ended up switching Haxorus out for Hydreigon because Haxorus simply wasn't cutting it for me. Too easily beaten, hardly able to set up Dragon Dances, tl;dr it just didn't work. So I ended up replacing Haxorus with Hydreigon for a better matchup against balance and offense (under webs ofc) and on top of that it added a fun little Dark Spam core with Weavile, so that's there if you want to use it. Levitate is also useful for Ground immunity to check things like Krookodile.

The Team:

galvantula fanart.jpg

Spiderman (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Giga Drain

Galvantula is UU for one reason alone: Sticky Web. A brilliant Speed tier of 108 allows it to set up Sticky Web with little to no problem. Bug Buzz and Thunder are your obvious STAB moves, with Compound Eyes boosting Thunder's accuracy to a reasonable 91%, and Giga Drain is for coverage against Swampert and other Ground types like Hippowdon and for hitting Nidoking for a little bit of chip damage. It's a pretty decent mon in UU, I must say.

hydreigon fanart.jpg

Hydra (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon has always been one of my favorite Dragons since the good old days of BW where it was considered the uncounterable Dragon that almost invalidated stall. I honestly thought it would get worse in Sun and Moon with the overall power and slight speed creep as well as the introduction of mons like Primarina who completely walls Hydreigon, but boy was I wrong. 125 Special Attack with a 130 BP STAB move with only 1 resist and 1 immunity is simply too good to pass up, and a nice and reliable Dark STAB complements it nicely. Flash Cannon is for obligatory Fairy coverage, and Fire Blast is obligatory Steel coverage, however you can use Flamethrower if you don't want to risk the accuracy. Just a great mon, 10/10 IGN would use again.

decidueye fanart.jpg

Robin (Decidueye) (M) @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch

As one of the Sun and Moon starters, you'd expect it to be at least somewhat usable, but to be UU and have some viability in even OU (i think at least) as well is simply brilliant. Thanks for designing an actually good mon, Gamefreak. The Z-Move Sinister Arrow Raid is the entire reason Decidueye is as good as it is. A 180 BP physical Ghost STAB move is just amazing, and a decent Attack stat + Swords Dance just makes it an extremely threatening mon to face and pretty difficult to wall. Being a Ghost type allows it to be the spinblocker this team desperately needs. Also helps that it checks Mega Blastoise as well. It forms a rather nice core with Hydreigon, beating out the Fairies that Hydreigon can't (Primarina) and Hydreigon beating out the mons that Decidueye can't beat (phat Darks, specifically Mandibuzz). Hydreigon resists the Fire and Dark/Ghost moves that hit Decidueye for super effective damage, and Decidueye is immune to the Fighting moves that hit Hydreigon super effectively in return. Also Sucker Punch because wynaut priority is good. Just a surprisingly good mon.

cobalion fanart.jpg

Diamond (Cobalion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

You would expect the leader of the Swords of Justice (at least I think it is, that's probably up for interpretation, but that's besides the point) to at least have some viability in the higher tiers, and here it is in UU. This mon is honestly a great mon. Fighting/Steel type + 91/129/72 bulk is simply perfect for an offensive pivot mon, and Iron Head and Close Combat as strong, reliable STABs are the cherry(s?) on top of this pivot pie. Stealth Rock is self-explanatory, and Volt Switch is ever so useful for pivoting out of a bad matchup like Amoonguss and Alomomola. I know I keep saying this, but great mon for offense teams and just teams in general.

weavile fanart.jpg

Ripper (Weavile) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

I'm honestly surprised this thing dropped to UU, considering how early it was banned for simply being too good. But Terrakion did go through the same thing as it, so I guess I'll stop complaining about it. Regardless, Weavile is one of my favorite mons. Ice/Dark type, lightning-fast speed, great attack, nonexistent bulk, this mon is the literal definition of a glass cannon (someone pls add weavile to the definition of glass cannon on urbandictionary or whatever). Knock Off is a broken move, being able to remove the item that makes a mon's set work is simply too good. Icicle Crash is good old Ice STAB, having decent BP and great accuracy. Ice Shard is simple priority that hits decently hard with Life Orb and its Attack, and Pursuit is just a filler move. Feel free to replace this move if you wish, I honestly just put it on here to trap Latias and maybe a Chandelure or two. I think this mon should stay, it's not too broken to justify rebanning it, but that's just my opinion. Regardless, this returning candidate is worthy of a spot on this team.

xurkitree fanart.png

Flashlight (Xurkitree) @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This mon right here is my favorite mon in the entire game. The stats, the type, the movepool, the design, the name; this mon is practically one of the best designed mons ever. Personal opinions aside, if there's anything this mon does best, it's wallbreak; you are legitimately insane if you don't think 173 base Special Attack + Tail Glow + reliable Electric STAB is just stupidly broken power. It's Speed isn't even that bad either; 83 base Speed puts it above mons like Decidueye and Chandelure and outspeeds basically every known wall there is with the exception of Gliscor, who now runs enough Speed to outspeed max Speed Timid Nidoking, but I still have 2 other mons to deal with Gliscor, so it's not a huge concern. I'm half and half on this mon getting banned because the simple prospect of basically unwallable power as well as a decent Speed stat with rather reasonable bulk sounds like too much, however it's Speed is still below average at best and there are mons that can survive at least one of its attacks and take it out before it can take it out. Also about the Speed problem, why should I care about that when I have webs and 2 mons to deal with the mons that outspeed it even under webs? Just a really fun mon to use, please for the love of Arceus if you need a mon that helps severely against stall and need a wallbreaker use Xurkitree or stop using a wallbreaker. (Amazing art by https://ikpoke.deviantart.com/)

latias icon.png

Despite me having Weavile, this cute lil eon girl is still a problem due to Defog removing Sticky Web AND having Levitate to gain an immunity from it. Best way to deal with it is to sac something to get Weavile in for free or to switch Cobalion in on an obvious Dragon move (or you could switch Weavile in on an obvious Defog, although you would have to be God to pull this off) and just attack. Weavile Pursuit trapping it makes it less of a problem, but still a nuisance nonetheless.

weavile icon.png

Ironically, Weavile itself is a big issue for this team. Blistering Speed + Priority + lack of answers outside of Cobalion makes it quite the issue. Best way to deal with it is making sure webs stay up (easier said than done) or to pivot into Cobalion on the obvious Knock Off for the free Justified or Icicle Crash/Ice Shard, however the rare Low Kick does 95% max. If webs aren't up and Cobalion is gone it's basically gg.

crobat icon.png

This evolution of the classic Kanto bat is more of an annoyance than a problem if anything. It's power is decent enough to threaten at least 4 of my team with the right move, however the mere threat of Weavile and Xurkitree in the back makes it careful of clicking Defog to get rid of Sticky Web, the main problem I have with this mon. Just be sure to keep your priority users healthy and this thing is easy to deal with.

kingdra icon.png
mega swampert icon.png

Why wouldn't rain teams be a problem for offense? If you see this team at Team Preview, you might as well say gg Turn 1. The only way to truly play around this team is to play Sticky Web mindgames with Azelf Turn 1. Decidueye, Hydreigon and Cobalion help slightly; keyword slightly. Not much to say, just screw rain.

This team is my first successful UU team, and any advice to improve this team would just make my day.
Hope you enjoyed this RMT! 420LegitShucks signing off!

Last edited:
Hello 420LegitShucks, today I've decided to take a look at your team and help you out.

As for the team itself, on paper it does seem very formidable with damage output, but there are some major problems that need to be addressed.

1.Items
Neither Xurkitree nor Hydreigon make use of Life Orb. Scarf Hydreigon is its best set, and literally any other viable Xurkitree set will serve you better. Z-Hypnosis makes for a viable sleep user, Scarf allows you to out speed common checks, and Tail Glow makes for a perfect Blissey Breaker. As for Cobalion, Shucca Berry isn't the best option due to the fact that some of then (Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Steelix) aren't even reliable checks to begin with because they're weak to Fighting.

2.Coverage
This problem isn't as major, but it still needs to be addressed. Galvantula, Hydreigon, and Dicidueye all have good coverage, but the other three are questionable. I can understand running Volt Switch on Cobalion, but running nothing but Stab on Weavile leaves it incredibly vulnerable to pokemon that Weavile normally checks. As for Xurkitree, running Hp Ice and Energy Ball is a bit much for checking a single weakness.

3. Stats
This is where the team really starts to crumble in my eyes. I think you're trying way too hard to make a hyper offensive team with pokemon that really don't work for it, specifically Dicidueye. Not only is it slow to begin with, but going max speed on it causes it to have a lot less bulk. Decidueye has great special bulk, and it's sad to see it go to waste in your team. Hydreigon can make use of speed, but only if it has choice scarf, same with Xurkitree. Another thing is that running max speed on EVERY pokemon leaves you very weak to walls and bulkier pokemon.

4. Far too many common weaknesses.
Not only is half of your team weak to Fire and Fighting types (leaving you destroyed by Infernape), but it also has two pokemon weak to Fairy, Ice, Bug, Rock, and Ground. Although all four of those types can be checked, they're still very threatening to your team (this is where your Weavile's lack of coverage kicks in). Even if you were to ignore those four types, you're still basically wiped out by Fire and Fighting type moves, both of which are incredibly common in the UU meta. As I said before, Infernape practically 6-0s your team. Not only does it outspeed most of your team, but can deal super effective damage as well. You do have Weavile, but thanks to its MOVES, it can't do jack squat to it.

5.No bulk whatsoever
This is the last problem I'm going to address, then I'll get to fixing the problems. Remember when I said that your team is very weak to bulkier pokemon? yeah this is where that weakness really bites your team. Any attacker that can take hits pretty much wrecks your team, the biggest ones being Mega Swampert, Scizor, Primarina, Empoleon, and Sylveon. Keep in Mind, that's not even including walls such as Blissey, Forretress, Gliscor, and Mandibuzz.

Now that I've addressed all of the major problems, here's how I'd fix them,

First, the tweaks I made to the remaining members. (changes bolded)

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Giga Drain
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle

These changes help fix some of the flaws on your team, mainly the lack of bulk, and lack of coverage. For starters, Poison Jab on Weavile not only counters fairy types but also give you a fighting chance against Infernape. Roost on Decidueye helps with your bulk problem, and can allow you to make use of Swords Dance a lot better. The new stat distribution allows you to make use of SD and Roost as well. As for Galvanutla's nature, you already have a Focus Sash, so you shouldn't have to worry about not out speeding the opponent. This also allows you to hit harder and make use of Giga Drain a bit better thant before. All your Hydreigon needed to make it solid was the Choice Scarf.

Now for the new members of the team

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Wish
- Substitute

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Magic Coat
- Light Screen
- Reflect

These pokemon are mainly meant to fix the lack of bulk and common weakness problems. Klefki makes for a much better hazards setter due to its ability Prankster, which gives it priority with status moves. As for Alomomola, although Blissey can run this set better, A fire resist is needed for your team, and Alomomola's defensive stats make for a great check against Infernape.

So that's my changes for your team, hope you enjoy them.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice team. I have always liked Sticky Webs, never had the opportunity to build a team surrounding it though.

I am now in vacation and writing this from my phone, I will edit this post and make it look more professional when I am back home, in two days. For now, I will write changes in points.

Shuckle > Galvantula
We all love Galvantula, but it is simply outclassed by Shuckle in terms of Sticky Webs lead. It gives teams far more utility than Galvantula does, such as having access to both Stealth Rock and Sticky Web, having good natural bulk and Sturdy, allowing it to have Mental Herb and somewhat overcome other Hyper Offense leads and Taunt users in general.

A set of max hp/ max defense with Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, Encore and Infestation/Toxic, holding Mental Herb is good.

Cobalion -> Double Dance sweeper
Now that Shuckle has Stealth Rock, Cobalion should be a Double Dance sweeper.

Swords Dance, Rock Polish, Close Combat, Iron Head with Fightinium Z should be the set.

Again, sorry it is so short. I will remake this post when I am home, giving more suggestions and explaining more about Cobalion.

Don't hesitate to ask anything, hope I helped!

hey Amane Misa thx for the advice! ill be sure to try those changes out!

AustinXX555 as much as i like the idea of alomomola it simply doesnt work on hyper offense as it just sits there and saps momentum. also life orb on xurkitree was just because i already used a z-crystal slot. thx for the advice tho!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Like others have said, Hydreigon should be Scarf.

I recommend Scarf/Trick. UU Legend Sniper and I had a discussion last night about how Gen 6 Hyd holds up in gen 6. Specifically a Trick/Scarf set, tricking in only on a mon that's commonly running Specs or another item that greatly benefits Hyd.

Here's a set I suggest

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Trick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)