SM OU Sticky Web Ditto (Now Top 50)

Introduction

Hello all. I am a simple guy just posting a simple RMT for a play-style that i really enjoy: sticky web. I need some help trying to optimize certain EV spreads as well as more player knowledge of new meta trends. I decided that an RMT post would help with these issues, and so here we are. Currently, I am hovering around the mid 1800s, but I intend to stick with this team as far as I can.

I welcome all criticism and hope you all enjoy.

Teambuilding Process
Everyone needs a gimmick now, right? In all seriousness, I really like ditto and I wanted to make him more viable outside the expected choice scarf revenge-killer role he's pretty much stuck in. Unfortunately, no other item offered a form of positive speed control, so instead I focused on play-styles that would allow him to find new niches. Sticky web filled this want quite well, as it offered speed control that Ditto could use against his enemies. With a white herb, Ditto becomes a new type of revenge killer that has the added benefit of not being locked into a single move.

Once I settled on sticky web for my play-style, I obviously needed a sticky web setter. I originally considered Smeargle as it functioned well as a suicide setter, but through a couple of matches, I found Shuckle to be superior. For starters, Shuckle is guaranteed to get one set of hazards up every match thanks to its ability, Sturdy, which allows it to hold a mental herb and not make it taunt bait. It also had a better supportive moveset (in my opinion) with gems such as infestation and encore, which could make switch-ins for my team much easier. I also found as I went higher up that many teams were adjusted to Smeargle leads, so Shuckle worked out better overall. (EDIT: It also seems that shuckle excels against trick room teams, as it slower than most of those mons and mess with typical setters).

Next, I wanted a Pokemon that could help destroy stall, because screw stall. I also wanted at least one Pokemon that could reach past the 110 speed bench mark (in case sticky web was removed) and boost up while demolishing the enemy team. Serperior filled this role quite nicely with its ability to break down teams with contrary while also benefiting from enemy defoggers with an evasion boost.

Early on, I realized how annoying defog was to this team and how Serperior could not really abuse the evasion as much I would like against the more relevant defoggers. I also noticed that the team lacked a general defensive backbone. So originally, I had placed Heatran here with a taunt/lure set to stop most defoggers in their tracks. Unfortunately, I also noticed that the team lacked a form of priority that allowed Pokemon like Landorus-T, Medicham, and M-Alakazam to easily outspeed or wear down Heatran. So I decided to compress some roles by choosing a Bisharp, which meshed well with the team.

The team so far was doing fine until I ran into my first Char-Y on the ladder. And I realized then that I had no switch-ins for a fire type and I lacked a true wincon. Gyarados came into mind for his z-bounce set that allowed him to snowball teams, which worked even better due to the speed control provided by sticky web. This probably would have been enough, but I actually wanted the z-move for a different Pokemon, and I realized how much I hated facing Mimikyu (since most killed my team's momentum with its Disguise Ability), so I decided to Mega my Gyarados up.

Ironically, my hatred for mimkyu turned into a reason to add him on my team, as I struggled with some flying mons and setup sweepers, which Mimikyu could easily cripple. It also just happened to be a good spin blocker as well.

The Team

Ditto @ White Herb

Ability: Imposter

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Relaxed Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Transform

This set is just the standard one you'll see all dittos run. The HP EVs are done to maximize HP since that's the only stat that is not copied and the rest of the EVs are designed for the extremely rare ditto vs ditto encounter. Zero speed IV's allow me to utilize hidden power ice, which is useful for most mons I want to revenge kill.

Serperior @ Leftovers

Ability: Contrary

EVs: 76 HP / 200 SpA / 232 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Leaf Storm

- Substitute

- Leech Seed

- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is the current set I am working with and probably where I could use the most help. Its a standard sub-seed set that is designed to mess with stall and would-be counters (like heatran and celesteela), while also being able to snowball quite fast. The 232 Speed EV's allow him to outpace fully invested base 110 mons (with nothing relevant past that that Serperior needs to outpace). The Special Attack and HP EV's are still being tweaked, but the thought behind them is to offer serperior more bulk while also having enough power to threaten teams.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Sticky Web

- Stealth Rock

- Encore

- Infestation
Shuckle is the team's setter in more ways than one. He not only sets up hazards, but can also trap and encore an enemy, which another teammate can capitalize on. The EV's are there to make him as bulky as possible on the special side, since most leads seem to be very specially focused (greninja, ash greninja, tapu koko, tapu fini, etc.).

Bisharp @ Assault Vest

Ability: Defiant

EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD
or
EVs: 252 Atk/ 208 SpD/ 40 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Sucker Punch

- Iron Head

- Low Kick

- Knock Off

Yeah, I'm the guy that slaps assault vest onto everything. But seriously, I think assault vest Bisharp has really helped this team more than the regular swords dance Bisharp set ever could. I needed something to take hits and be a reliable switch-in to common defoggers. With Assault vest, Bisharp can more reliably scare enemies from clicking defog and since he has defiant, the lack of swords dance is never that much of an issue. The first spread is designed to make him tanky as possible, with the most noticeable feat that he can easily tank two moonblasts from Choice Scarf Lele and survive coverage fire moves from other defoggers, like Zapdos. The second spread is there to guarantee that Bisharp can outspeed max speed Heatran under sticky web, if ya want.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite

Ability: Moxie

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

- Earthquake

Just a standard M-Gyarados set that abuses mold breaker against foes that would normally have no issue with it (Rotom-W, M-Venusaur, Unaware Clefable and Quagsire, etc.). The ability pre-mega is moxie to potentially snowball early on in the game as well as to counteract landorus-t intimidate switch-in shenanigans. With sticky web, Gyarados can afford more power with adamant, which is something that Gyarados outside of sticky web really couldn't afford.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z

Ability: Disguise

Adamant Nature

- Play Rough

- Swords Dance

- Shadow Claw

- Thunder Wave

Mimikyu is a great spinblocker, courtesy of its typing and ability. It acts as the team's wallbreaker against mons that are annoying to wear down or have reliable recovery. It also acts as the team's emergency stop to setup sweepers and flying types that try to bypass sticky web's effect, by using thunder wave, which ditto can then captilize on. Like Gyarados, Mimikyu runs adamant, but I might consider switching to jolly if I start running into more scarf mons near Mimikyu's speed tier.

Conclusion

I personally think this team is fun to use, and I have come to realize how well it can do against a multitude of playstyles. I hope you reading give it a try at some point, and realize that ditto can be not absolute crap (figuratively speaking, because . . .you know.). I will include a threatlist later on based on how much feedback i receive. Otherwise, that's it . . . I'm terrible at conclusions. Bye.

Ditto @ White Herb
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Happiness: 0
EVs: 76 HP / 200 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Thunder Wave

Attachments

Last edited:
This team is amazing and easy to use; I've only started using it today and I've reached 1800 on the OU ladder.

The only changes I'd make is change thunder wave for shadow sneak on Mimikyu since it's useful for taking out or damaging mons with priority (i.e. Mega Pinsir) or scarfed mons, and bounce is definitely better than ice fang on Mega Gyarados, it has almost perfect coverage (although you already have it set as bounce in the importable)

Well, this post was pretty useless; your team is already impeccable.
Thank you, but in your experience, do you have a better way to take down M-Venusaur? Recently, he seems to be rising a bit, and he's such a pain in the ass to deal with. It really makes me wish Gyarados got psychic fangs. I have been considering switching Gyarados in and out with M-Sharpedo to abuse the more immediate base power moves, but if you or anyone has a suggestion for that, it would be very much appreciated.

Hi! I used your team, and I make one (1) modification:

I changed Bisharp by the following Klang:

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Facade
- Return

The general species of Klangs are very bulky in nature,
but with eviolite becomes even better. Also, its typing (Steel)
is very resistent, with lots of not-very-effectives.

His ability (Clear Body) is great to face Thundurus-T, or other Intimidate Users.

Shift gear is one of his main features. He can set-up, and nothing exept a switch can change it.
The speed boost + the attack boost, are realy good. Also, the speed boost more the sticky web (set-up by Shuckle)
can help it outspeed many offensive-based pokemons, like Tapu Koko.

Gear Grind is his main attack move. Its also his signature move, Klang is the only known pokémon species that can learn it.
It hit 2 times, each with 50 power. More the same type attack bonus (STAB), he can deal a lot of damage. Because it can hit two (2)
times, you can break trought focus sash and sturdy. He can also hit super-effective on common pokémon of the OU tier, like Tapu Koko.

Facade can realy help, when you get down by Will-O-Wisp, move that halves the attack burning.

Return is for pokemons that can resist Gear Grind. Luckly, the only type that resists Normal and Steel is Steel, and one of the most common
Steel type in the OU tier is Magearna, that takes normal damage from steel, thanks to its Steel/Fairy type.

I had 3 battles with him in this team, with a win rate of 1/3. May look bad, but you can always remember that it come from a player (MyCatName)
That isnt very skilld at the game. With attention, and an comment written like a Spam-Email, MyCatName.

Yeah, Mega Venusaur is definitely a threat. I've got a few ways to get around it, although it usually manages to kill one Pokemon regardless:

Mimikyu's Never-Ending Nightmare can destroy 90% of Venusaur sets at +4, and it's not too hard to get two swords dances up against it.

+4 252 Atk Mimikyu Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 447-526 (124.5 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can use your Disguise in order to get to +2, and even an offensive variant can't kill you with it's most powerful stab, sludge bomb, which allows you to set up your second swords dance.

92+ SpA Venusaur-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mimikyu: 130-154 (51.7 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gyarados' Ice Fang is probably more useful for taking out mons like Zygarde and Landorus after intimidate, but if it's really becoming a problem, bounce practically kills it after stealth rocks damage at +1. If you haven't mega evolved it one shots this set, and it can't hit you super-effectively, although people tend to switch it out into Landorus' intimidate or Skarmory's rocky helmet, so it's not that useful.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Bounce vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 292-344 (81.3 - 95.8%)

I recommend you swap Bisharp for Celesteela, it destroys many of your threats, and you still have Serperior to switch into defogs and sweep the enemy team with sub-seeding.

Celesteela @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon

After a Beast Boost, Celi can neutrally one shot a lot of the meta, and easily deals with mons like Assault Vest Magearna and Charizard-Y. Be wary of Heatran though, it completely walls him, although you can run Earthquake instead of Flash Cannon and it's a guaranteed 2HKO.

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helped!
Thank you very much. M-Venusaur and stall in general are just matches of attrition, which I guess goes against my personal enjoyment (which then makes me fixated on these mons in general). But these notes have made me reconsider some spreads to this team, so once again, thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)