Strongest & Weakest In-Game Pokémon Ever

No. We went over this time and again in the ORAS tiering thread. The phase where you are Ralts and Kirlia counts heavily against Gardevoir. To the point it drops its rank significantly. Kirlia is just awful. It's not even Top Tier in its threads (which can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-tier-list-v2-0.3532211/ and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-in-game-tier-list-read-post-324.3523089/). That's how bad Kirlia is. So, unfortunately it can't be considered here.

I'm definitely going to vouch for BW Archen because it is simply insanity. Its definitely worth the backtrack to get, comes level appropriate with insane power. It carried me easily through the rest of the game against other power houses in BW. Never felt weak at any point after Elesa.

IMO it only comes down to GSC Abra and BW Archen. Those two are so far ahead of anything else the games gives you in terms of matchups and ease of use that they should be at the top of any listing like this. RSE Mudkip gets a good shout because it's one of the few Pokemon who has 0 bad matchups against any principle trainers in the whole game.
Technically Gardevoir can be considered here (because even with those points Gardevoir is a completely different species than Kirlia), and it has been one of the Pokemon I have used in some of the games without ever taking out of my party except for the very rare occasion. Add the fact you can get it just by trading and not have to evolve anything, and the fact that adds the different OT experience bonus to it.

Technically Gardevoir can be considered here (because even with those points Gardevoir is a completely different species than Kirlia), and it has been one of the Pokemon I have used in some of the games without ever taking out of my party except for the very rare occasion. Add the fact you can get it just by trading and not have to evolve anything, and the fact that adds the different OT experience bonus to it.
I disagree with this post. There is no way that you can get to the Gardevoir stage without having to bear with the extremely long period of Ralts and Kirlia uselessness.

Any worse ones out there, that are equally, irredeemably bad in multiple games?
Ditto in gens 1-4 and arguably still in 5 onwards (unless you're actually breeding ingame for competitive play or want more of your starter etc. to trade away), wobbuffet in all gens (minus shadow tag shenanigans for roaming pokemon), Smeargle in all gens (hard enough to sketch the move you want, now have fun with your 220BST mon that's only available lategame!)

edit: whoops, forgot the second half of my post, stupid mobile browser

Add the fact you can get it just by trading and not have to evolve anything, and the fact that adds the different OT experience bonus to it.
Unown for S tier because I can just break the game in half with a perfectly EV'd HP psychic level 100 specs unown which i can get before my first badge just by trading. Who cares if it doesn't obey me half the time if it OHKOs the other half of the turns I use it in?

This is why ingame VRs specifically mention that the only trading is for trade evolutions.

Last edited:
Feebas deserves a mention for a terrible mon. Incredibly awful to catch in most versions, evolution that usually requires a trade, and generally comes late enough that you could have had a dominating water type for two gyms by the time you can start grinding to find this one. Yes, the evo is good enough that I wouldn’t peg Feebas as the worst, but why would you ever put in the effort in-game when you already have a surfer just to catch it?

Smeargle in all gens (hard enough to sketch the move you want, now have fun with your 220BST mon that's only available lategame!)
Smeargle is super useful though. That's one of the two Pokemon I ever successfully bred, because I wanted one with False Swipe, Thunder Wave, Spore and Soak for catching purposes.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with the posts that assert that Wobbuffet is one of the weakest Pokémon to use ingame. The big thing with Wobbuffet is that it is a strong example of a "one for one" Pokémon, that is, it's generally good for taking out one Pokémon per match at the very least, whether it be through reflecting damage, or setting up Destiny Bond on something it cannot usually touch. If getting one from a Wynaut, Encore has its uses. One for one can be a really good form of team support because it can be the out you need to take out an otherwise problematic threat.

Wobbuffet's distribution makes it a really good Countercoat user as it is taking a lot of damage from attacks which means you are going to deal even more in return. Furthermore since the AI of the majority of trainers in games tend to be smart instead of just rolling a d4, you tend to know how they are going to act and be able to move accordingly. As for things about leveling up, one of the things with Wobbuffet is that it doesn't need too much in the way of Experience to do its job. For example, a Wobbuffet caught fresh from the Safari Zone in Ruby/Sapphire can straight up survive Wallace's Milotic's Water Pulse/Ice Beam and one shot in return with Mirror Coat. Of course it still needs some experience to hit some benchmarks, but this can generally be resolved in the fights itself when one shotting the enemies you need to take out with it or using Exp. Share for a little bit.

Essentially, Wobbuffet is one of those Pokémon who looks really bad but can be surprisingly effective when you know what you are doing. It's not going to be something that you are always going to pick for an ingame run, but to call it one of the worst (or weakest) Pokémon for ingame runs misses the mark by a long shot.

A shame Wobbuffet isn't obtainable in Sun/Moon or Ultra Sun/Moon though; it is one of the best Pokémon to use for dealing with the Totems because of its distribution and options.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
A few additional comments on previously mention mons:

1. Fun Fact: The level 1-100 Magikarp is also in BW2 in the Nature Preserve area (provided there's also a 10% encounter rate for Basculin there). If you're REALLY lucky, you can even find Gyarados at any level in rippling water spots. I have even done the math for the odds of a Level 100 Gyarados in there; it comes out to about 1 in 100,000 rippling water spots. Yikes...good luck. (Just imagine a Shiny one, holy crap.)

2. Placing in my opinion on ORAS Gardevoir, I'd say that it's definitely better than it was in RSE because of that Fairy type and the late game Mega Evolution, and I'd say it's buffs in the remakes either put in in top tier status or just outside of it. HOWEVER...it still fails to compare to the true top tiers of ORAS when it comes to long-term viability. The starters have better offensive matchups and movepools, the Latis are just OP as crap (they're like the XY Lucario of this game), and in my opinion, about 60% of the Pokémon with Megas happen to have niches that set them apart more. It also faces competition for a team slot from a lot of other Psychics such as Alakazam and the Latis, all of which even have Megas and better stats AND can get their Megas earlier than Gardevoir. Long story short, S tier, but still outclassed by all the other S tiers. Maybe have a borderline tier between A and S? That could do well. Then you have Gallade lol

3. Wobbuffet is an interesting case in all of the games that it's in. In GSC, its late game avaliability and lack of Shadow Tag make it bottom tier for sure. Things get a bit more interesting in RSE though. It got a pre-evolution in that game only obtainable from an Egg. Sadly, it doesn't have any of the better of its 7 POSSIBLE MOVES on hatching, and Arceus knows getting off a successful Counter/Mirror Coat/Destiny Bond will never happen when your stats are THAT bad. (They could have given it Metal Burst in Gen 4 too, now that I think about it.) Additionally, opponents almost never switch out in game, so Shadow Tag is pretty useless outside of any sort of competition, in a similar case to FRLG Diglett with Arena Trap. Definitely bottom tier for most of its life, sadly. Go back to Team Rocket, why don't ya?

I want to bring up turtwig in platinum for contender of the best in-game pokemon. I think it's very underrated because people don't utilise turtwigs two setup moves (curse and rock polish) right. If you do use setup on the turtwig line, you can solo through seven out of the eight gym leaders. He even soloes Flint with rock polish + earthquake, which is extremely impressive for a grass starter, or just any starter pokemon in general really. He ony has two truly awful matchups against Cyrus and Aaron, whith a kinda whatever matchup against Candice (torterra can take out both sneasel and piloswine without effort).

turtwig is really just grass mudkip tbh.

I disagree with the posts that assert that Wobbuffet is one of the weakest Pokémon to use ingame. The big thing with Wobbuffet is that it is a strong example of a "one for one" Pokémon, that is, it's generally good for taking out one Pokémon per match at the very least, whether it be through reflecting damage, or setting up Destiny Bond on something it cannot usually touch. If getting one from a Wynaut, Encore has its uses. One for one can be a really good form of team support because it can be the out you need to take out an otherwise problematic threat.
The thing is that ingame runs consist 90% of standard trainers against whom trading one-for-one is ridiculously inefficient.
Another problem is that, aside from SM's totem bosses, the list of bosses who actually use only one or two very dangerous pokemon is rather short.

Generally, Wobbuffet is at best a mon you'd use once or twice if you know in advance what you want to remove - using it constantly (and constant use is what ingame viability is commonly based on) would cause ridiculous potion costs in addition to being alot slower than just filling that teamslot with something with any kind of offensive presence.
It's similar to Shedinja in that regard - while it has a few great uses ingame if you know when and where to use it (hardwalling Kyogre, anyone?), it's generally rather underwhelming since random trainers have the bad habit of having far too many random coverage moves, leaving both of them as niche picks one wouldn't typically choose during an ingame run.
(Coincidentally, since you mentioned him, Shedinja also beats Wallace's entire Ruby/Sapphire team solo if you teach it toxic to do some damage.)

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
3. Wobbuffet is an interesting case in all of the games that it's in. In GSC, its late game avaliability and lack of Shadow Tag make it bottom tier for sure. Things get a bit more interesting in RSE though. It got a pre-evolution in that game only obtainable from an Egg. Sadly, it doesn't have any of the better of its 7 POSSIBLE MOVES on hatching, and Arceus knows getting off a successful Counter/Mirror Coat/Destiny Bond will never happen when your stats are THAT bad. (They could have given it Metal Burst in Gen 4 too, now that I think about it.) Additionally, opponents almost never switch out in game, so Shadow Tag is pretty useless outside of any sort of competition, in a similar case to FRLG Diglett with Arena Trap. Definitely bottom tier for most of its life, sadly. Go back to Team Rocket, why don't ya?
You'd be surprised how much stuff it can live, that high HP can allow it to live quite a few attacks you wouldn't expect it to live. Basically, I feel you are underestimating Wobbuffet's bulk.

The thing is that ingame runs consist 90% of standard trainers against whom trading one-for-one is ridiculously inefficient.
Another problem is that, aside from SM's totem bosses, the list of bosses who actually use only one or two very dangerous pokemon is rather short.

Generally, Wobbuffet is at best a mon you'd use once or twice if you know in advance what you want to remove - using it constantly (and constant use is what ingame viability is commonly based on) would cause ridiculous potion costs in addition to being alot slower than just filling that teamslot with something with any kind of offensive presence.
It's similar to Shedinja in that regard - while it has a few great uses ingame if you know when and where to use it (hardwalling Kyogre, anyone?), it's generally rather underwhelming since random trainers have the bad habit of having far too many random coverage moves, leaving both of them as niche picks one wouldn't typically choose during an ingame run.
(Coincidentally, since you mentioned him, Shedinja also beats Wallace's entire Ruby/Sapphire team solo if you teach it toxic to do some damage.)
You said it yourself: "Wobbuffet is at best a mon you'd use once or twice if you know in advance what you want to remove". It isn't consistently useful, but that's not the point of my post. The very idea of Wobbuffet is to take out the things you need it to take out so the rest of the team doesn't have to worry. On a strong team it is generally redundant though it can still find one use or two (since taking a hit and one shotting is more efficient than two shotting anything), on a shoddily constructed team (or a really low leveled team) however, it can be the glue that holds the team together.

As for the debatable point of one for one being inefficient, consider this: You could throw any old Pokémon you have against a problematic threat, struggle, watch it get healed with potions, potentially use items yourself and eventually take it down, or you could throw a Wobbuffet at the problem and eliminate it in 1-2 rounds, and let the rest of your team deal with the rest with no items expended on the threat in question. Of couse, setting up on some Pokémon that can't harm you and then sweeping is generally more efficient, but that's besides the point. The point being: One for one is situationally efficient. Yes it means you have to use items or go to the Pokémon Centre after the fight, but it's not too dissimilar to other Pokémon. You have to know what you are doing when using it.

The Shedinja comparison is somewhat relevant (by the way I prefer Swords Dance/X-Attack + Shadow Ball for the Shedinja solo on Wallace), but all it does is reinforce the original point of my post, which was to argue that Wobbuffet shouldn't be in the discussion for "Weakest ingame Pokémon" (and not some world beater). A Pokémon that is generally bad in some fights and deceptively efficient in others is much much more useful overall than a Pokémon that can actually fight on its own but is generally bad overall. Think of a graph where Wobbuffet has a bunch of spikes and a bunch of pits compared to some random bad Pokémon which is mostly a flat line with minor deviations up or down.

Of course, your average player isn't going to use Wobbuffet to clear ingame, but they aren't going to picking Smeargle either, or Spinda, or Luvdisc, or even Shedinja (or at the very least, use them for a couple of fights before dropping for whatever reason).

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
turtwig is really just grass mudkip tbh.
Ehhhhhhhh nah.

I want to emphasize how absurdly excellent RSE Mudkip is because this is somewhat of an insult to Mudkip's dominance over the entirety of RSE. Mudkip has one (1) matchup that it can't easily steamroll through and that is Rival 2 due to Grovyle. Everything else Mudkip and its evolutions are able to easily and quickly solo through with minimal support - support both being item support and level grinding support.

RSE Mudkip by far gets my vote for best ingame Pokemon of all time.

You'd be surprised how much stuff it can live, that high HP can allow it to live quite a few attacks you wouldn't expect it to live. Basically, I feel you are underestimating Wobbuffet's bulk.

You said it yourself: "Wobbuffet is at best a mon you'd use once or twice if you know in advance what you want to remove". It isn't consistently useful, but that's not the point of my post. The very idea of Wobbuffet is to take out the things you need it to take out so the rest of the team doesn't have to worry. On a strong team it is generally redundant though it can still find one use or two (since taking a hit and one shotting is more efficient than two shotting anything), on a shoddily constructed team (or a really low leveled team) however, it can be the glue that holds the team together.

As for the debatable point of one for one being inefficient, consider this: You could throw any old Pokémon you have against a problematic threat, struggle, watch it get healed with potions, potentially use items yourself and eventually take it down, or you could throw a Wobbuffet at the problem and eliminate it in 1-2 rounds, and let the rest of your team deal with the rest with no items expended on the threat in question. Of couse, setting up on some Pokémon that can't harm you and then sweeping is generally more efficient, but that's besides the point. The point being: One for one is situationally efficient. Yes it means you have to use items or go to the Pokémon Centre after the fight, but it's not too dissimilar to other Pokémon. You have to know what you are doing when using it.

The Shedinja comparison is somewhat relevant (by the way I prefer Swords Dance/X-Attack + Shadow Ball for the Shedinja solo on Wallace), but all it does is reinforce the original point of my post, which was to argue that Wobbuffet shouldn't be in the discussion for "Weakest ingame Pokémon" (and not some world beater). A Pokémon that is generally bad in some fights and deceptively efficient in others is much much more useful overall than a Pokémon that can actually fight on its own but is generally bad overall. Think of a graph where Wobbuffet has a bunch of spikes and a bunch of pits compared to some random bad Pokémon which is mostly a flat line with minor deviations up or down.

Of course, your average player isn't going to use Wobbuffet to clear ingame, but they aren't going to picking Smeargle either, or Spinda, or Luvdisc, or even Shedinja (or at the very least, use them for a couple of fights before dropping for whatever reason).
I know exactly how bulky this thing is. It's not dying quickly, that's for sure.

Somewhat fair points, but wob's positive spikes are rather few and far between which means that the average performance really is quite low.
Not quite Spinda, unown or luvdisc level low, and not in the worst of situations (at least not in rse - in gsc and other games where it isn't as easily available, this is more debatable), but I'd clearly put it down there on the low ranks simply for it's not just bad, but complete lack of any performance outside of those few big battles. Wob won't really help catch anything besides shadow tagging Lati@s, for example.

I want to emphasize how absurdly excellent RSE Mudkip is because this is somewhat of an insult to Mudkip's dominance over the entirety of RSE. Mudkip has one (1) matchup that it can't easily steamroll through and that is Rival 2 due to Grovyle.
Casual sidenote that even Rival 2's Grovyle can be dealt with somewhat by Mudkip if you hold off on evolving it to avoid the 4x weakness (that 70 base atk Take Down leaves a mark), but it's admittedly shaky.
Still, there are exactly one/two (if we count Groudon's Solar Beams) battles in these games that trouble Mudkip - nothing else so much as comes close to stopping it from simply marching through.
...oh, and maybe that one Shedinja near the end of Victory Road in Emerald.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor

You know what? You've convinced me. Who knows, maybe I'll actually give ol' Wobby a try at this point. That HP does come in handy for various scenarios, now that I think about it.

EDIT: What the heck happened, I was just trying to reply to your comments. How did it end up like this lol

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I wanted to tell you guys all something I though was pretty cool. For various Pokémon games, I'm planning on using teams based on my/our choices for this discussion. (Some members took inspiration from all of you!) I even started two of them already, though one is on intemission for a midgame Shiny hunt. Long story. But here's what I came up with. I made these teams myself, and one of them (Pearl) is even a nostalgic callback for me. Feel free to copy if you want :D

Blue (3DS): Blastoise, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Clefable, Alakazam, Dugtrio (Articuno and Zapdos can alternate late-game)
Yellow (3DS): Same as Blue 3DS but with Pikachu instead of Blastoise, and no Zapdos
Silver (3DS): Feraligatr, Ampharos, Alakazam, Magmar, and 2 un-decided team members
Crystal (3DS): Feraligatr, Alakazam, Fearow, Ursaring, and 2 un-decided team members
Sapphire: Swampert, Gardevoir, Breloom, Slaking, Alakazam, and 1 un-decided team member
LeafGreen: Ok, honestly I'm having a lot of trouble with this one...
Emerald: Same as Sapphire but Rayquaza added on the last slot for the end-game, same exact team until that point in the game
Pearl: Infernape, Staraptor, Bibarel, Alakazam, Roserade, Palkia (and a random Shiny Shinx I found on Route 102 early on that's now a Luxray)
Platinum: Empoleon, Staraptor, Bibarel, Alakazam, Roserade, Garchomp
SoulSilver: Feraligatr, Golem, Ampharos, Heracross, Scizor, and 1 un-decided team member
White: Samurott, Excadrill, Sawk, Lilligant, Darmanitan, Archeops (one of the two I started already, the other being Pearl, on break for Shiny hunt)
White 2: Samurott, Magnezone, Excadrill, Braviary, Darmanitan, and 1 un-decided member (maybe the secret Shiny I'm hunting?)
Y: Delphox, Charizard, Aegislash, Aerodactyl, Lucario, Lapras (subject to change)
Alpha Sapphire: Un-decided starter, Gyarados, Alakazam, Latias, and 2 un-decided team members (preferably with Megas)
Moon: Primarina, Pelipper, Magnezone, Alakazam, Feraligatr, Gyarados (Rain theme hype)
Ultra Moon: Primarina, Magnezone, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Oricorio, and 1 un-decided member
Let's Go Eevee: (ideas still pending)

Last edited:
Might as well throw my input into the discussion, though it might seem repetitive because a lot of things have already been said. I'll try to be original when I can regardless.

RBY/FRLG (I haven't played Let's Go yet): I'd say Venusaur is pretty zany in RBY. Sure, it's weak to Psychic, but on the other hand you get several good gym matchups early on (including the notorious Misty) and even later when it starts sucking against Gyms you can pull off the absolutely troll Toxic/Leech Seed Glitch which is good fun. As for FRLG, as has been said, Jynx is an utter monster, aside from needing some help for Blaine and maybe Sabrina it slices through both Koga and Giovanni. In doing a speedrun, it mostly soloed the pre-endgame by itself (can't quite remember if I did E4 on that file yet?)

GSC/HGSS: Hoo boy, is Golem an absolute beast. It annihilates half the Johto gyms just by itself, and even in the E4 (HGSS at least) it can still contribute by being respectable against Koga, Karen's Houndoom (as long as you don't flinch assuming you mighttttt live one Dark Pulse), and, if you bring it out at the right time, even the Champion with Rock Polish and no scope Stone Edge.

RSE/ORAS: Yeah, Swampert is a monster, no questions asked. Otherwise, despite not having used it myself, I'd say Hariyama is pretty good, albeit not game-breaking. Assuming you skip the traded one (bad IVs are bad, though it can help with Roxanne) you get a mon that can hold it's own against Wattson, Flannery (with Thick Fat), Norman, Sidney, Glacia, and Steven, and stuff like Aqua/Magma Dark types. Not too shabby. Also, Breloom exists and is a monster (just go read the in-game tier list discussion for RSE for proof).

DPPt: Everyone knows Staraptor, Infernape, Garchomp...but I'd say Luxray, despite having movepool issues (lol Thunder Fang) is a pretty good choice. Once you get Spark, the ball starts rolling out, and being able to help against the notorious Platinum Fantina and Crasher Wake (dat Waterfall Gyarados tho) earns it a single thumbs-up for me, even if it fizzles out later on.

BW: Let's save some time and just say pretty much EVERYTHING in the Disc One Nuke/Desert Resort (except maybe Maractus and Yamask). Aside from that, despite how late it is, Durant is amazing (I've soloed Cynthia with it before).

BW2: Desert Resort again, but I'd say Roserade is a monster too, as is Heracross (you can tutor it Bug Bite while you wait for Megahorn). And most certainly the insane Skill Link Cincinno (once you get the multi-hitting moves you can laugh at the world). Honorable mention goes to (don't laugh) Raticate. Swords Dance via relearner + Guts + Toxic/Flame Orb = a surprisingly powerful rat lategame, though it is frail.

XY: Disregarding the obvious stuff (Vivillon, starters, traded Lucario, Aegislash/Eviolite Doublade), both Sigilyph and Hawlucha are absolute beasts, though I haven't tested the former in XY yet IIRC.

SM: Disregarding Magnezone and Alolan Muk, Mudsdale is an absolutely insane tank that will never, EVER die to physical hits thanks to Stamina, plus its movepool is superb! High Horsepower at level 24? Yes please!

USUM: I'm doing a playthrough right now (just got to Akala), and Murkrow (yay I broke the trend and mentioned an unevolved mon) is where it's at. Starts with acceptable STAB, gets Wing Attack at just Level 15 in time for Trial 1, plus you get Sharp Beak (lets you wreck Hala) and Flynium Z not long afterward. Not THE best, because sadly its movepool peters out later, but earlygame Murkrow is a juggernaut (I don't really see it faltering until Island 3 tbh) even if I have been giving it a bit too much attention (plus it will get Icy Wind and Foul Play very soon, and can laugh at you-know-who with Sucker Punch).

I knew some of these entries may not be THE strongest stuff (particularly Murkrow, Luxray and Raticate), but again, I wanted to be mostly original. Thanks for reading!

That Speed Boost Torchic given to early players of XY completely trivialized any difficulty that game might have had (even if you don't use the Exp. Share), making it my choice for the best.

As for the worst? Only speaking from my experience, Drifloon in USM is a bad choice. It's not very strong, takes forever to get good STAB moves, and dies really easily. There are probably worse things for an ingame run, but I really don't want to use anything worse than Drifblim in those scenarios.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
(Lol, haven't been on here in a long time.)

All of the above ideas are very strong indeed, but I had just remembered the existence of something that blows almost all of these Pokemon out of the water by a long shot in my opinion. Provided you do have to download and play through a cheap, underrated 3DS application before the actual Pokemon game to utilize them to their fullest potential...but come on. It's practically unfair how broken some of the Pokemon you can get this way are.

Let me introduce my final nominations for the Best Ingame Pokemon Ever. They're all coming from Pokemon Black and White 2's neglected best friend, Pokemon Dream Radar.

Just...WOW. Assuming a person plays through Dream Radar before starting BW2 on a 3DS, they'll have access to a ton of over-powered Pokemon that can be obtained as early as right after the first rival battle. It's not hard to find a list online of all the cool stuff you can get.

But I'm not done here. We haven't talked about the (possibly Level 5) Legendary Pokemon yet. I haven't tried this myself (yet), but HOLY CRAP, THESE THINGS LOOK AMAZING. Hidden abilities, absurd typings, surprisingly good important Trainer matchups, awesome movepools, and obviously, THOSE FREAKING STATS. Heck, even Audino grinding helps with the slow exp rates. And the Lucky Egg.

My work is done here. GSC Abra, BW Archen, and even RSE Mudkip have NOTHING on these beasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)