Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we get a command that persistently puts a user on ignore status?

We can put someone on ignore permanently on the forums or really any other place on the internet and it’s a real pain to not be able to do so on PS.
A persistent version of the /ignore we have now (that, for your visuals, suppresses all public and private messages from the ignored person) will probably not happen because it would disrupt real-time things like room events and Help room support. A persistent ignore for private (PMs? PMs and GCs? PMs and Battles? some group like that) messages is something we've thought about; if you would want this, could you elaborate on the advantages you see compared to reporting the user if some ignores don't do the trick?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There are multiple users who follow around anyone high on various ladders and post in battles. Some also PM me. It’s incredibly obnoxious but not malicious to the point where I’d report anyone.

I don’t see how ignoring the user persistently would cause me any problems. But at the very least persistent ignoring of PMs and chat in my battles is more than enough for me.

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suggestion for there to be a way to check who was online at a particular time in roomlogs without having to sift through showjoins.

Suggestion: Improve monotype Watch a Battle by displaying the types of each of the players' teams.
If this is implemented and a player has a duotype team (I.E all normal/flying), then display both of the types.

Suggestion: You know that info box that shows when you hover over a mon? Could it also show the potential speed stat after modifiers as well?

Keldeo with 252+ speed is 346, Keldeo holding Choice Scarf or having a +1 boost from somewhere else is 519, and keldeo at +2 is 692. For the slowest possible keldeo with no boosts, it is 198. that keldeo at -1 speed is 132 , and that keldeo at -2 speed is 99. 0- Keldeo at +1 is 297.

The suggestion is mostly for convenience for the player and it helps against annoying stuff like using a calculator or looking up speed tier threads.

Iron Tail shouldn't be listed under "usually useless moves". A good deal of Pokemon (such as Absol, Zygarde, and Lucario) have it listed in one of their dex sets, and while you could argue that those Pokemon would prefer to run Iron Head if they got it, Blizzard and Thunder are listed as usable moves, despite almost everything that learns them also learning Ice Beam or Thunderbolt.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After seeing this I realized that the Viable Moves list was in need of other updates as well, and when checking on that I learned that the viable moves list can be tailored to specific Pokemon (e.g. Focus Punch was only a viable move for Breloom). The change list I submitted was:
- Iron Tail viable (read: removed from Usually Useless Moves list) for Absol, Flygon, Haxorus, Lucario, Mightyena, Zygarde
- Counter viable for Alakazam
- Infestation viable for Shuckle
- Smart Strike viable for Kartana
- Solar Beam viable for Drought users
- Stored Power viable for Necrozma
- Trick Room viable for Cresselia, Porygon2, Diancie, and Magearna *and Uxie
- Magma Storm viable

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice if the "Useful" and "Usually Useless" moves and items lists were updated periodically (perhaps every 3 months - surprising uses for niche moves don't come up very often) and varied between each Pokemon depending on the move usage stats. But I'm not sure how taxing it would be.

Adeleine

Moves like Blizzard and Thunder being useful regardless of present weather lead me to believe that the lists are supposed to be less temporary (at least within a generation), but if its something that cyclically-ish goes up and down depending on meta trends it could be added depending on the situation.

A couple of years ago I brought up "multi-find battle mode" which was basically a way to search battle in more than one tier at a time. I was told "it's on the list" - this is something that could be done in a few weeks with a dedicated coder. But it hasn't been and it's such a big feature.

Majority of players are in random battle or current gen OU - it is very difficult to find GSC, RSE, DPP, or even BW battles.

With a system where we could select multiple tiers to search for, we would be more likely to get battles in the more obscure tiers as people could search for those while playing random or OU.

This is probably no small task but considering the ramifications and utility, I can't imagine why it's not been done - especially looking at what else has made the slate.

If you guys truly want to be the best simulator there ever was for Pokemon then this feature should not remain missing for much longer.

Thank you for your consideration.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There are multiple users who follow around anyone high on various ladders and post in battles. Some also PM me. It’s incredibly obnoxious but not malicious to the point where I’d report anyone.

I don’t see how ignoring the user persistently would cause me any problems. But at the very least persistent ignoring of PMs and chat in my battles is more than enough for me.
following up on this... Tiksi plz

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Few suggestions, some more feasible than others:
1. Option to disable the icons in /ds
2. Adding exclusions for pokemon in movesearch, like /ms !pikachu shows all moves that aren't learned by pikachu.
3. Add "weak to" and "immune to" to /ds, similar to "resists" (/ds yellow, quash, weak to ground)
4. Add multi-hit (tail slap/dual chop/pin missile) and multi-target (surf/earthquake/heatwave) flags to movesearch, or if possible, "targets" that can be set to single enemy, single ally, all enemies, all allies, all adjacent, all, and anything that I'm missing atm (/ms targets=single enemy)
5. Not sure if this can be coded since mons learn moves different ways but adding something to movesearch that allows you to look for moves that a mon learns by level up/breeding/move tutor/event. Maybe even a separate command like /moves pikachu, level up, gen 6 to show which moves a given mon got a certain way in a given generation
6. Putting the "or" thing that's in search commands into modlog, such as "/modlog user was warned|user was muted" would show all of that users warns and mutes, or /modlog user|alt" would should all modactions on a known alt of the user, would really help when problematic users tend to bounce around on alts all the time.
7. At the moment after logging off, all of my rooms are automatically on the right side of my screen, would be nice if the layout stayed the same as it was when I logged off, and if possible, being able to have a middle section so that someone could look at 3 rooms/battles/chats at once would be good, particularly for those with multiple rooms to watch and/or need to keep an eye on pms

Thanks, sorry for the wall of text!

8. (Edited in) Currently, /checkpunishment makes little to no sense to me. Sometimes, I can check a users punishments in any room from any room, sometimes it depends on which room I use the command in, sometimes it doesn't work at all. I only have a vague understanding of who can use the command, but it would be nice to see what rooms a user has punishments in when they join a room I'm staff in so that I can gauge them from their previous behavior. It also shouldn't matter which room I use the command in, idk if that'd be codable, but as someone who is often several rooms away from the ones I'm staff in (particularly when I'm trying to see how a user acts in other rooms), being able to see the same information regardless of where I use the command would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to add a Percentage of a secondary effect for /movesearch?

So for example: /movesearch burn=30%

It would really help out with building sets

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Few suggestions, some more feasible than others:
1. Option to disable the icons in /ds
2. Adding exclusions for pokemon in movesearch, like /ms !pikachu shows all moves that aren't learned by pikachu.
3. Add "weak to" and "immune to" to /ds, similar to "resists" (/ds yellow, quash, weak to ground)
4. Add multi-hit (tail slap/dual chop/pin missile) and multi-target (surf/earthquake/heatwave) flags to movesearch, or if possible, "targets" that can be set to single enemy, single ally, all enemies, all allies, all adjacent, all, and anything that I'm missing atm (/ms targets=single enemy)
5. Not sure if this can be coded since mons learn moves different ways but adding something to movesearch that allows you to look for moves that a mon learns by level up/breeding/move tutor/event. Maybe even a separate command like /moves pikachu, level up, gen 6 to show which moves a given mon got a certain way in a given generation
6. Putting the "or" thing that's in search commands into modlog, such as "/modlog user was warned|user was muted" would show all of that users warns and mutes, or /modlog user|alt" would should all modactions on a known alt of the user, would really help when problematic users tend to bounce around on alts all the time.
7. At the moment after logging off, all of my rooms are automatically on the right side of my screen, would be nice if the layout stayed the same as it was when I logged off, and if possible, being able to have a middle section so that someone could look at 3 rooms/battles/chats at once would be good, particularly for those with multiple rooms to watch and/or need to keep an eye on pms
Adding to this, /learn could show how a Pokemon learns the move (e.g. /learn Rotom, Hex would say that Rotom learns Hex in Generation VII at level 50.

Some ''methods'' of learning that could be added for that could be: Via level, via TMs, via a move tutor, via events.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Me, and many people with me, would appreciate a feature that displays the stats of a mega evolution on before you mega evolve. This is super useful for Random Battles but would also be useful in other formats. Not sure how to explain it, so I made a picture for reference. Adding Mega Pinsir's stats to regular Pinsir's info tab is basically what I am trying to say.

I would like to see a command that HL's you every time someone sends a message in a room(s).
/highlight add, .*

This is a regular expression that should highlight on any message. What it can't do is highlight in some rooms but not others, for that you would need room specific highlights.

Format idea: VU (Variously Used)
Rules: Regular Singles format, but each Pokemon must come from a different official Smogon Singles tier. You cannot have two Pokemon from the same tier, and any Borderline Pokemon are rounded up to the highest tier (e.g. BL2 is classified as UU, BL is classified as OU, etc).

Teams will therefore consist of one Pokemon from PU, NU, RU, UU, OU, and Ubers respectively. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement verification for teams like this as I've no idea how PS works in the first place but hopefully it's achievable. Open to suggestions on any edits this would need.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Format idea: VU (Variously Used)
Rules: Regular Singles format, but each Pokemon must come from a different official Smogon Singles tier. You cannot have two Pokemon from the same tier, and any Borderline Pokemon are rounded up to the highest tier (e.g. BL2 is classified as UU, BL is classified as OU, etc).

Teams will therefore consist of one Pokemon from PU, NU, RU, UU, OU, and Ubers respectively. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement verification for teams like this as I've no idea how PS works in the first place but hopefully it's achievable. Open to suggestions on any edits this would need.
I doubt format ideas belong to this thread. I would redirect you to the OM thread, but I think that's a ''commonly rejected'' Metagame idea.

Hi i'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but i'll say it anyway.

Can we have the ability to delete rankings from our account? Seeing the 1 or 2 times I've played full potential or tier shift is kinda annoying.

I'm sure it would reduce the amount of alts people make if that means anything.

Thanks.

I know this is probably not gonna happen but I'm getting a little annoyed that users aren't trusted to implement whatever avatar they want without being a global driver. It's true that people can use it to make inappropriate avatars, but that's the risks lots of other social media websites take. That risk is taken here on the forums, after all, and if somebody takes
advantage of that, people can report them.

I personally to be able to make my avatar a Goomy sprite, and I think everybody should at least have the option to make their avatar of a trainer, a pokemon, or a trainer with any pokemon. Lots of users would really like to have more avatar customization.

I'm aware it has to be implemented individually, which is tedious for programming. I figure, however, that if you can go out of the way to stick a rock paper scissors in the teambuilder, for example, then it would be worth the trouble to add a little more. You individually implemented each Pokemon's model in the teambuilder from sprite to 3d model, after all, right?

Again, I know it'd probably not happen, but a much wider customization range for avatars would be very much appreciated. If I get a no from somebody on this, that's fine- just as long as they themselves aren't enjoying the luxury of a custom avatar that others can't have.

I know this is probably not gonna happen but I'm getting a little annoyed that users aren't trusted to implement whatever avatar they want without being a global driver. It's true that people can use it to make inappropriate avatars, but that's the risks lots of other social media websites take. That risk is taken here on the forums, after all, and if somebody takes
advantage of that, people can report them.

I personally to be able to make my avatar a Goomy sprite, and I think everybody should at least have the option to make their avatar of a trainer, a pokemon, or a trainer with any pokemon. Lots of users would really like to have more avatar customization.

I'm aware it has to be implemented individually, which is tedious for programming. I figure, however, that if you can go out of the way to stick a rock paper scissors in the teambuilder, for example, then it would be worth the trouble to add a little more. You individually implemented each Pokemon's model in the teambuilder from sprite to 3d model, after all, right?

Again, I know it'd probably not happen, but a much wider customization range for avatars would be very much appreciated. If I get a no from somebody on this, that's fine- just as long as they themselves aren't enjoying the luxury of a custom avatar that others can't have.

lmao the owner of the site doesn't even use one quit whining because you want to get a special snowflake cosmetic and actually contribute towards the site enough to warrant getting some recognition

Reactions: Wob
lmao the owner of the site doesn't even use one quit whining because you want to get a special snowflake cosmetic and actually contribute towards the site enough to warrant getting some recognition
Thanks for the mature and respectful response, buddy.

Customization is something all sites use. It's why I can have a Goomy on these forums, why you can have a We going ape shit on these forums, and is a general standard for social media sites. I hardly think I'd be the only one who wants more of that on PS.

As for getting involved, I'm a driver in one of the site's chatrooms. It isn't global, but I'm starting somewhere. What about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)