UU Swampert

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Swampert

QC: [3/3]
GP: [2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Swampert has been a strong defensive Pokemon for years, as its defensive stat spread makes it quite durable and its Water / Ground typing provides several useful resistances and an immunity while only having one weakness. Swampert's bulk and typing allow it to check many prominent Pokemon in the UU metagame, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, Mamoswine, and Krookodile. It also possesses useful utility options like Stealth Rock and Roar, which allow it to make use of the opportunities its bulk creates to support its team. Additionally, 110 / 85 attacking stats, a good movepool, and access to Scald mean defensive sets aren't totally passive. However, Swampert lacks reliable recovery and can be worn down throughout a match, and Grass-types like Celebi and Mega Sceptile resist both of Swampert's STAB moves and can take advantage of its quadruple weakness to their STAB moves.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Scald
move 4: Roar / Toxic / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
ability: Torrent
nature: Relaxed
evs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides entry hazard damage, while Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB option. Scald is the secondary STAB move and has a 30% chance to burn, which helps Swampert exert pressure upon many of the tier's physical attackers. Roar lets Swampert phaze opposing Pokemon and accumulate Stealth Rock damage, while Toxic cripples foes like Latias, Hydreigon, Mega Sceptile, and Primarina on the switch and provides more residual damage. Ice Beam prevents Gliscor from setting up and hits Grass-types and the Dragon-types that are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks, such as Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile.

Set Details
========

240 HP EVs maximize Leftovers recovery, 252 Defense EVs allow Swampert to take physical attacks as well as possible, and the remaining EVs provide Swampert with a little more special bulk. Leftovers is mandatory because Swampert has no other viable source of recovery. Torrent is the primary ability because Swampert is prone to being worn down throughout a match and can take advantage of this to fire off boosted Scalds. An alternative EV spread of 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD with a Sassy nature lets Swampert take on specially offensive Pokemon like Mega Blastoise, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Starmie more effectively.

Usage Tips
========

Swampert serves as an effective defensive pivot, phazer, and shuffler. Decent mixed attacking stats let it take on Fire-types that try to inflict burn like Entei and Arcanine. Swampert should focus on tanking neutral or resisted physical hits and threatening the opponent's team back and can pivot into dangerous physical attackers like Mega Aerodactyl, Mamoswine, Krookodile, Scizor, and Mega Sharpedo and set up Stealth Rock, force them out with Roar, or strike back with Scald or Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Swampert fits well on bulky offense and balance teams. Offensive teams benefit from the role compression it offers and its ability to check a lot of common threats. In exchange, offensive teams keep the tempo of the match high enough to prevent the opponent from taking advantage of Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to overload it. Balance teams can circumvent Swampert's lack of longevity through Wish and cleric support. Good partners take advantage of Grass-types or benefit from Swampert's set of resistances. Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pidgeot, Togekiss, Infernape, and Crobat can all pressure Grass-types with their super effective STAB moves, while Dragon-types like Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile can all switch in on Grass-type attacks aimed at Swampert and either set up with Calm Mind or fire off powerful STAB attacks. Fast Mega Evolutions like Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Pidgeot can KO or force out most Grass-types and benefit from Swampert's ability to set up Stealth Rock. Alolan Muk makes a good partner because it can switch in on many of the special attackers that trouble Swampert, such as Celebi, Latias, and Mega Sceptile, and either trap them with Pursuit or KO them with a super effective STAB attack. Swampert benefits from Wish and cleric support from Pokemon like Blissey and Sylveon and needs this type of support when used on bulkier teams. Swampert synergizes well with Fairy-types like Sylveon, Klefki, and Togekiss because it resists Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-type attacks, and most Fairy-types are specially bulky, can take on Ground-immune Dragon-types like Latias and Hydreigon, or can provide Swampert with Wish and cleric support. Additionally, Swampert appreciates Steel-type teammates because it resists Fire-type attacks and Steel-types resist Grass-type attacks. Of the Steel-types available in UU, Scizor, in particular, makes a good teammate because its typing synergizes very well with Swampert's and it can provide entry hazard control with Defog. Like Scizor, Forretress possesses a typing that complements Swampert's defensively and has access to utility moves that Swampert benefits from (in this case, Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes). Swampert is vulnerable to residual damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes, so Pokemon that can remove hazards from the field through Defog or Rapid Spin, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Forretress, Crobat, Tentacruel, and Togekiss, make good partners. Grounded Poison-types like Nidoqueen and Alolan Muk can absorb Toxic Spikes and thus extend Swampert's longevity. Other Water-types like Empoleon and Tentacruel also complement Swampert well because Swampert can switch in on Electric-type attacks aimed at them. Finally, partners like Raikou, Celebi, Latias, and Toxicroak can set up on the bulky Water-types that wall Swampert.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Protect helps scout and patches up Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to some extent by giving it extra turns of Leftovers recovery. Mirror Coat is a nice surprise for special attackers that think they can break Swampert, while Counter can do the same thing to physical attackers. A Choice Band set can work because Swampert has good offensive typing, an expansive attacking movepool, and solid bulk even without investment, but it's outclassed by common physical attackers, and Swampert's Speed holds it back. Rest + Sleep Talk can give Swampert semi-reliable recovery, but it comes at the cost of Swampert's utility options. Damp can be used to prevent Explosion or Self-Destruct, but few Pokemon besides Azelf run either of those moves and Swampert doesn't match up particularly well against Azelf anyway. Curse sets can be used, but they take a long time to set up and Swampert lacks reliable recovery.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types can switch into Swampert's STAB attacks with impunity and prey upon its quadruple weakness. Celebi, in particular, can force Swampert out and take the opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Mega Sceptile can switch into Swampert freely and recover from any damage it takes in the process with Giga Drain or fire off a powerful Leaf Storm or Dragon Pulse. Tsareena can switch in without much risk and remove Swampert's Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin. Decidueye fears Scald burns, but it can set up on Swampert and force it out if it comes in on something other than Scald or avoids the burn.

**Bulky Water-types**: Swampert can't break bulky Water-types, and they can threaten it back with Scald. Many bulky Water-types also have recovery and can wear Swampert down. Mantine is immune to both Earthquake and Scald and can use Defog to remove Stealth Rock and Toxic or a STAB move to wear Swampert down. Suicune can use Rest to heal what little damage it takes from Earthquake and pressure Swampert down with Scald.

**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile resist Scald and resist or are immune to Earthquake, allowing them to switch into Swampert with little difficulty. Latias takes very little damage even from Ice Beam and can KO Swampert with powerful Draco Meteors. It also has access to Defog to remove Swampert's Stealth Rock. Like Latias, Hydreigon can come in on any of Swampert's STAB moves (although it takes a bit more from Ice Beam than Latias does) and threaten it out with powerful STAB moves. Mega Sceptile also switches into any Swampert without Ice-type coverage with near impunity and forces Swampert out with the threat of its super effective Grass-type STAB moves.

**Toxic and Burn**: Status that causes residual damage and nullifies Swampert's Leftovers recovery allows Swampert to be worn down very quickly.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers that can hit Swampert neutrally, such as Primarina, Starmie, and Hydreigon, can pressure Swampert heavily because it lacks reliable recovery and its defensive stats are good, but not amazing.

**Knock Off**: Swampert depends heavily upon Leftovers to recover HP. Pokemon with access to Knock Off like Krookodile and Weavile can remove Swampert's item and thus drastically reduce its staying power.

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have some experience as an LC QC member, so I figured I'd give UU analyses a try and give a little 'look-over' if you will. Implement whatever you want.

Overview
* I don't think it'd be too bad of an idea to give some examples of mons the bulk and typing allows Swampert to check and set rocks against. The line about its typing/resistances would probably be the best place to add that.
* "Swampert possesses useful utility options like Stealth Rock and Roar." - this may be just me, but I feel like maybe you could elaborate as to what exactly said utility options allow Swampert to do (just say something about how it can support its team while reliably tanking hits).
* Give some examples of Grass-types that you say immensely pressure Swampert.

Moves
* Explain a little further in your Scald line in saying that it allows Swampert to pressure several of the tier's physical attackers.
* Remove Tsareena from the Toxic line imo. Idk that it's all too relevant anymore, and some sets use Aromatherapy anyway.

Set Details
* Does the Special Defense allow for any significant KOs to be avoided? Probably not, but if so then I'd give some examples of stuff it can survive with the given investment.
* I'd maybe say something about how Damp can be situationally useful as an ability here, since it allows Swampert to avoid Explosion from stuff like Azelf and Alolan Muk if need be.

Usage Tips
* 'Mixed attacking stats let it take on Fire-types that try to inflict burn.' - not too sure how to feel about this line if I'm honest. The only Fire-types that would realistically try burning Swampert imo are Arcanine and Moltres, which aren't really relevant. I don't know whether or not this line is necessary or if you should just stress that most Fire-types won't stay in to try burning, but whatever works for you I guess, this line just kind of bugs me a little too much lol.
* "Pivot into dangerous physical attackers like Mega Aerodactyl, Mamoswine, Krookodile, Scizor, and Mega Sharpedo." - what exactly should you do upon pivoting into these threats? Which move should you opt to use? Elaborate a little here.
* I think maybe saying something about using Swampert as a tank as opposed to a wall would be good info here. Just feel like it's important to stress that it's more so meant to tank resisted hits than sponge any physical hit out there.

Team Options
* "Swampert fits well on bulky offense and balance teams." - I feel like you should elaborate a little as to why this is the case.
* In your Alolan Muk line, I think it'd be helpful to some readers to give a few examples of special attackers A-Muk covers for Swampert (definitely mention Celebi as one of them imo)
* Give examples of Grounded Poison-types in your last line.

Other Options
* Not sure that Choice Band really needs to be here anymore, considering Mega Swampert's a thing now.
* As said earlier, I personally believe Damp should be mentioned in Set Details, but it's up to you whether to leave it here or remove it and put it up there.

Checks and Counters
* I think that the toxic/burn section could use a little more substance, so maybe mention how burn also lowers the power of Earthquake and that bad poisoning can put Swampert on a serious timer.
* Give some examples of Knock Off users.

I'm not actually QC, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but I hope this was mostly helpful (and didn't come off as pretentious or anything)! Implement whatever, great work overall :)

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More or less agree with what's been said above from Overview up to the Usage Tips. The only exception is the comment on the line about mixed attacking stats for Fire-types that inflict burns; it's fine imo just because of Entei still being a thing in UU, albeit less threatening than in ORAS. Arcanine and Moltres aren't super relevant, but they're still sorta viable. You have to mention the Entei example, though. Otherwise, it's mostly just including more specifics and examples, which are going to be very handy when you eventually write this up into paragraphs. I trust that you'll know where it's appropriate to add them, or you could hit me up on discord lol.

For Other Options, they look fine as far as non-Mega Swampert goes, but note that you (or whoever writes Mega Swampert) are probably going to have to edit/revamp this section once Mega Swampert is available for writing. Main things are like Choice Band not really worth the OO mention anymore and being more specific with how each OO is applicable to which Swampert set (Curse Mega Swampert might become its own set as well, in which case Curse in OO is invalidated). Mention stuff like non-Energy Ball Primarina for Mirror Coat targets though.

For Checks and Counters, same deal with how Mega Swampert being available for writing is going to change it because you'll need to take into account Mega Swampert checks or rather stuff that isn't a check anymore, such as Knock Off only helping much against non-Mega Swampert.

QC 1/3

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented. From what dodmen told me when I asked him about it, Mega Swampert will be treated as a separate analysis and the two will be merged and edited later. Ready for the second check.

Damp stays where it is because that's where I was told to put it the last time I sent Swampert through QC and nothing relevant besides Azelf and maybe Metagross should be using Explosion to begin with.

Amaroq

Cover me.
Implemented. Will write this up later and then be ready for the third check.

Edit: Written up and ready for 3rd check.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Swampert has been a strong defensive Pokemon for years, as a defensive stat spread of 100 / 90 / 90 makes it quite durable and its Water / Ground typing provides several useful resistances and an immunity while only having one weakness. Swampert's bulk and typing allow it to check many prominent Pokemon in the UU metagame, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, Mamoswine, and Krookodile. It also possesses useful utility options like Stealth Rock and Roar that allow it to make use of the opportunities its bulk creates to support its team. Additionally, 110 / 85 attacking stats, a good movepool, and access to Scald mean defensive sets aren't totally passive. However, Swampert lacks reliable recovery and can be worn down throughout a match, and Grass-types like Celebi and Mega Sceptile resist both of Swampert's STAB moves and can take advantage of its quadruple weakness to Grass-type their STAB moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides entry hazard damage, while Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB option. Scald is the secondary STAB move and has a 30% chance to burn, which helps Swampert exert pressure upon many of the tier's physical attackers. Roar lets Swampert phaze opposing Pokemon and accumulate Stealth Rock damage, while Toxic poisons cripples (optional, less dex info-esque) foes like Latias, Hydreigon, Mega Sceptile, and Primarina on the switch and provides more residual damage. Ice Beam prevents Gliscor from setting up and hits Grass-types and the Dragon-types that are immune to Ground-type attacks, such as Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile.

Set Details
========

240 HP EVs hits a Leftovers number maximize Leftovers recovery, 252 Defense EVs allow Swampert to take physical attacks as well as possible, and the remaining EVs provide Swampert with a little more special bulk. Leftovers is mandatory because Swampert has no other viable source of recovery. Torrent is the primary ability because Swampert is prone to being worn down throughout a match and can take advantage of this to fire off boosted Scalds. An alternative EV spread of 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD with a Sassy nature lets Swampert take on specially offensive Pokemon like Mega Blastoise, Mega Houndoom, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Starmie more effectively.

Usage Tips
========

Swampert serves as an effective defensive pivot and phazer/shuffler. Mixed attacking stats let it take on Fire-types that try to inflict burn, like Entei and Arcanine. Swampert should focus on tanking neutral or resisted physical hits and threatening the opponent's team back and can pivot into dangerous physical attackers like Mega Aerodactyl, Mamoswine, Krookodile, Scizor, and Mega Sharpedo and set up Stealth Rock, force them out with Roar, or strike back with Scald or Earthquake. Swampert's lack of reliable recovery means that it is often better suited to more offensive teams unless provided with Wish support. (not a usage tip)

Team Options
========

Swampert fits well on bulky offense and balance teams. Offensive teams benefit from the role compression it offers and its ability to check a lot of common threats. In exchange, offensive teams keep the tempo of the match high enough to prevent the opponent from taking advantage of Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to overload it. Balance teams can circumvent Swampert's lack of longevity through Wish and cleric support. Good partners take advantage of Grass-types or benefit from Swampert's set of resistances. Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pidgeot, Togekiss, Infernape, and Crobat can all pressure Grass-types with their super effective (RH) STAB moves, while Dragon-types like Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile can all switch in on Grass-type attacks aimed at Swampert and either set up with Calm Mind or fire off powerful STAB attacks. Fast Mega Evolutions like Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Pidgeot can KO or force out most Grass-types and benefit from Swampert's ability to set up Stealth Rock. Alolan Muk makes a good partner because it can switch in on many of the special attackers that trouble Swampert, such as Celebi, Latias, and Mega Sceptile, and either trap them with Pursuit or KO them with a super effective (RH) STAB attack. Swampert benefits from Wish and cleric support from Pokemon like Blissey and Sylveon and needs this type of support when used on bulkier teams. Swampert synergizes well with Fairy-types like Sylveon, Klefki, and Togekiss because it resists Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-type attacks, and most Fairy-types are specially bulky, can take on Ground-immune Dragon-types like Latias and Hydreigon, and/or can provide Swampert with Wish and cleric support. Additionally, Swampert appreciates Steel-type teammates because it resists Fire-type attacks and Steel-types resist Grass-type attacks. Of the Steel-types available in UU, Scizor in particular makes a good teammate because its typing synergizes very well with Swampert's and it can provide entry hazard control with Defog. Like Scizor, Forretress possesses a typing that complements Swampert's defensively and has access to utility moves that Swampert benefits from (in this case, Rapid Spin, Spikes and Toxic Spikes). Swampert is prone vulnerable to residual damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes, so Pokemon that can remove hazards from the field through Defog or Rapid Spin, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Forretress, Crobat, Tentacruel, and Togekiss, make good partners. Grounded Poison-types like Nidoqueen and Alolan Muk-Alola can absorb Toxic Spikes and thus extend Swampert's longevity. Other Water-types like Empoleon and Tentacruel also complement Swampert well because Swampert can switch in on Electric-type attacks aimed at them. Finally, partners like Raikou, Celebi, Latias, and Toxicroak can set up on the bulky Water-types that wall Swampert.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Protect helps scout and patches up Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to some extent by giving it extra turns of Leftovers recovery. Mirror Coat is a nice surprise for special attackers that think they can break Swampert, while Counter can do the same thing on the physical side to physical attackers. A Choice Band set can work because Swampert has good offensive typing, an expansive attacking movepool, and solid bulk even without investment, but it's outclassed by common physical attackers, (AC) and Swampert's Speed holds it back. Rest + Sleep Talk can give Swampert semi-reliable recovery, but it comes at the cost of Swampert's utility options. Damp can be used to prevent Explosion or Self-Destruct, but few Pokemon besides Azelf run either of those moves and Swampert doesn't match up particularly well agaisnt Azelf anyway. Curse sets can be used, but they take a long time to set up and Swampert lacks reliable recovery.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types can switch into Swampert's STAB attacks with impunity and prey upon its quadruple weakness. Celebi in particular can force Swampert out and take the opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Mega Sceptile can switch into Swampert freely and recover off of any damage it takes in the process with Giga Drain or fire off a powerful Leaf Storm or Dragon Pulse. Tsareena can switch in without much risk and remove Swampert's Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin. Decidueye fears Scald burns, but it can set up on Swampert and force it out if it comes in on something other than Scald or avoids the burn.

**Bulky Water-types**: Swampert can't break bulky Water-types and they can threaten it back with Scald. Many bulky Water-types also have recovery and can wear Swampert down. Mantine is immune to both Earthquake and Scald and can use Defog to remove Stealth Rock and Toxic or a STAB move to wear Swampert down. Suicune can Rest off what little damage it takes from Earthquake and pressure Swampert down with Scald.

**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile resist Scald and resist or are immune to Earthquake, allowing them to switch into Swampert with little difficulty. Latias takes very little damage even from Ice Beam and can KO Swampert with powerful Draco Meteors. It also has access to Defog to remove Swampert's Stealth Rock. Like Latias, Hydreigon can come in on any of Swampert's STAB moves (although it takes a bit more from Ice Beam than Latias does) and threaten it out with powerful STAB moves. Mega Sceptile also switches into any Swampert without Ice-type coverage with near impunity and forces Swampert out with the threat of its super effective Grass-type STAB moves.

**Toxic and Burn**: Status that causes residual damage and nullifies Swampert's Leftovers recovery allows Swampert to be worn down very quickly.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers that can hit Swampert neutrally, such as Primarina, Starmie, and Hydreigon, can pressure Swampert heavily because it lacks reliable recovery and its defensive stats are good, but not amazing.

**Knock Off**: Swampert depends heavily upon Leftovers to recover HP. Pokemon with access to Knock Off, like Krookodile and Conkeldurr, can remove Swampert's item and thus drastically reduce its staying power.

Last edited:

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 2/2
add/corrections remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Swampert has been a strong defensive Pokemon for years, as a defensive stat spread of 100 / 90 / 90 (for future reference, you don't need to include the actual numbers when the dex shows it at the top) makes it quite durable and its Water / Ground typing provides several useful resistances and an immunity while only having one weakness. Swampert's bulk and typing allow it to check many prominent Pokemon in the UU metagame, such as Mega Aerodactyl, Raikou, Mamoswine, and Krookodile. It also possesses useful utility options like Stealth Rock and Roar, (ac) which that allow it to make use of the opportunities its bulk creates to support its team. Additionally, 110 / 85 attacking stats, a good movepool, and access to Scald mean defensive sets aren't totally passive. However, Swampert lacks reliable recovery and can be worn down throughout a match, and Grass-types like Celebi and Mega Sceptile resist both of Swampert's STAB moves and can take advantage of its quadruple weakness to their STAB moves.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Stealth Rock provides entry hazard damage, while Earthquake is a powerful, reliable STAB option. Scald is the secondary STAB move and has a 30% chance to burn, which helps Swampert exert pressure upon many of the tier's physical attackers. Roar lets Swampert phaze opposing Pokemon and accumulate Stealth Rock damage, while Toxic cripples foes like Latias, Hydreigon, Mega Sceptile, and Primarina on the switch and provides more residual damage. Ice Beam prevents Gliscor from setting up and hits Grass-types and the Dragon-types that are immune or resistant to Ground-type attacks, such as Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile.

Set Details
========

240 HP EVs maximize Leftovers recovery, 252 Defense EVs allow Swampert to take physical attacks as well as possible, and the remaining EVs provide Swampert with a little more special bulk. Leftovers is mandatory because Swampert has no other viable source of recovery. Torrent is the primary ability because Swampert is prone to being worn down throughout a match and can take advantage of this to fire off boosted Scalds. An alternative EV spread of 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD with a Sassy nature lets Swampert take on specially offensive Pokemon like Mega Blastoise, Mega Houndoom, (banned now) Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Starmie more effectively.

Usage Tips
========

Swampert serves as an effective defensive pivot and phazer/shuffler (could put all three into a list or do "phazer or shuffler"). Decent mixed attacking stats let it take on Fire-types that try to inflict burn, (rc) like Entei and Arcanine. Swampert should focus on tanking neutral or resisted physical hits and threatening the opponent's team back and can pivot into dangerous physical attackers like Mega Aerodactyl, Mamoswine, Krookodile, Scizor, and Mega Sharpedo and set up Stealth Rock, force them out with Roar, or strike back with Scald or Earthquake.

Team Options
========

Swampert fits well on bulky offense and balance teams. Offensive teams benefit from the role compression it offers and its ability to check a lot of common threats. In exchange, offensive teams keep the tempo of the match high enough to prevent the opponent from taking advantage of Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to overload it. Balance teams can circumvent Swampert's lack of longevity through Wish and cleric support. Good partners take advantage of Grass-types or benefit from Swampert's set of resistances. Scizor, Mega Beedrill, Mega Pidgeot, Togekiss, Infernape, and Crobat can all pressure Grass-types with their super effective STAB moves, while Dragon-types like Latias, Hydreigon, and Mega Sceptile can all switch in on Grass-type attacks aimed at Swampert and either set up with Calm Mind or fire off powerful STAB attacks. Fast Mega Evolutions like Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Pidgeot can KO or force out most Grass-types and benefit from Swampert's ability to set up Stealth Rock. Alolan Muk makes a good partner because it can switch in on many of the special attackers that trouble Swampert, such as Celebi, Latias, and Mega Sceptile, and either trap them with Pursuit or KO them with a super effective STAB attack. Swampert benefits from Wish and cleric support from Pokemon like Blissey and Sylveon and needs this type of support when used on bulkier teams. Swampert synergizes well with Fairy-types like Sylveon, Klefki, and Togekiss because it resists Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-type attacks, and most Fairy-types are specially bulky, can take on Ground-immune Dragon-types like Latias and Hydreigon, and/or can provide Swampert with Wish and cleric support. Additionally, Swampert appreciates Steel-type teammates because it resists Fire-type attacks and Steel-types resist Grass-type attacks. Of the Steel-types available in UU, Scizor, (ac) in particular, (ac) makes a good teammate because its typing synergizes very well with Swampert's and it can provide entry hazard control with Defog. Like Scizor, Forretress possesses a typing that complements Swampert's defensively and has access to utility moves that Swampert benefits from (in this case, Rapid Spin, Spikes, (ac) and Toxic Spikes). Swampert is vulnerable to residual damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes, so Pokemon that can remove hazards from the field through Defog or Rapid Spin, such as the aforementioned Scizor and Forretress, Crobat, Tentacruel, and Togekiss, make good partners. Grounded Poison-types like Nidoqueen and Alolan Muk can absorb Toxic Spikes and thus extend Swampert's longevity. Other Water-types like Empoleon and Tentacruel also complement Swampert well because Swampert can switch in on Electric-type attacks aimed at them. Finally, partners like Raikou, Celebi, Latias, and Toxicroak can set up on the bulky Water-types that wall Swampert.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Protect helps scout and patches up Swampert's lack of reliable recovery to some extent by giving it extra turns of Leftovers recovery. Mirror Coat is a nice surprise for special attackers that think they can break Swampert, while Counter can do the same thing to physical attackers. A Choice Band set can work because Swampert has good offensive typing, an expansive attacking movepool, and solid bulk even without investment, but it's outclassed by common physical attackers, and Swampert's Speed holds it back. Rest + Sleep Talk can give Swampert semi-reliable recovery, but it comes at the cost of Swampert's utility options. Damp can be used to prevent Explosion or Self-Destruct, but few Pokemon besides Azelf run either of those moves and Swampert doesn't match up particularly well agaisnt against Azelf anyway. Curse sets can be used, but they take a long time to set up and Swampert lacks reliable recovery.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types can switch into Swampert's STAB attacks with impunity and prey upon its quadruple weakness. Celebi, (ac) in particular, (ac) can force Swampert out and take the opportunity to set up a Nasty Plot. Mega Sceptile can switch into Swampert freely and recover off of any damage it takes in the process with Giga Drain or fire off a powerful Leaf Storm or Dragon Pulse. Tsareena can switch in without much risk and remove Swampert's Stealth Rock with Rapid Spin. Decidueye fears Scald burns, but it can set up on Swampert and force it out if it comes in on something other than Scald or avoids the burn.

**Bulky Water-types**: Swampert can't break bulky Water-types, (ac) and they can threaten it back with Scald. Many bulky Water-types also have recovery and can wear Swampert down. Mantine is immune to both Earthquake and Scald and can use Defog to remove Stealth Rock and Toxic or a STAB move to wear Swampert down. Suicune can use Rest to heal off what little damage it takes from Earthquake and pressure Swampert down with Scald.

**Wallbreakers**: Strong wallbreakers that can hit Swampert neutrally, such as Primarina, Starmie, and Hydreigon, can pressure Swampert heavily because it lacks reliable recovery and its defensive stats are good, (rc) but not amazing.

**Knock Off**: Swampert depends heavily upon Leftovers to recover HP. Pokemon with access to Knock Off, (rc) like Krookodile and Conkeldurr, (rc) can remove Swampert's item and thus drastically reduce its staying power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)