Tapu Fini Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tapu Fini
Water/Fairy
Abilities: Misty Surge / Misty Surge / Telepathy
HP: 70
Atk: 75
Def: 115
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 130
Spe: 85

Level Up

L1 - Misty Terrain
L1 - Moonblast
L1 - Heal Pulse
L1 - Mean Look
L1 - Haze
L1 - Mist
L1 - Withdraw
L1 - Water Gun
L8 - Water Pulse
L14 - Whirlpool
L20 - Soak
L26 - Refresh
L32 - Brine
L38 - Defog
L43 - Nature’s Madness
L48 - Muddy Water
L53 - Aqua Ring
L58 - Hydro Pump

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM55 - Scald
TM56 - Fling
TM67 - Smart Strike
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM77 - Psych Up
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Surf
TM96 - Nature Power
TM98 - Waterfall
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

Last edited:
Looks really good, just suffers from a lack of recovery. Misty terrain + cm/recover/scald/moonblast would've been ridiculous.

It sucks that this thing doesn't get reliable recovery (not even Rest thanks to it's ability) but with it's Low HP, and high defenses it could work well with Wish support. Plus, switching it into wishes would allow it to reapply Misty Terrain, which is ALSO useful in negating status, which means wish passers may not need to carry Heal Bell/Aromatherapy on them...they probably will still tho.

Defog with bulk, STAB Scald, and awesome typing means this is probably OU. It also have deceptively strong Moonblasts thanks to its ability and status immunity.
It might be better off with Surf or Hydro Pump considering Misty Terrain won't let opposing mons get burned.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shit I forgot Misty Terrain stops Scald from burning.

I still think it'll be OU though.

Hello Water-type Uxie. Shame you have the same hole in Fairy-type attacks as your brethren and lack U-turn.
What are you talking about? It has base 95 SpA and water/fairy STAB compared to Uxie's psychic stab and 70 offenses. If anything it's a slightly more offensive Suicune with Defog access.

Offensively, it seems great with possible CM / Ice Beam / Moonblast / Hydro Pump and status immunity.

Defensively, I could see Defog surfacing. There may even be a role for Nature's Madness + Brine shenanigans.

Shit I forgot Misty Terrain stops Scald from burning.

I still think it'll be OU though.
That's actually pretty damn big. Probably OU because it's a non-rock-weak Defogger and has a great typing with respectable offensive presence, but the inability to burn with Scald is huge.

He has Moonblast, so idk about what kind of Fairy-moves he would need. Good typing, Defog and pseudo-statut immunity will make him a solid pick, but no reliable recovery and burnless-Scald are really unfortunate though. I can see a Calm Mind set being good, he does not need Sub to be protected of status and he has Taunt / coverage to make it work. Not very powerful though, but damn hard to bring down.

Defog with bulk, STAB Scald, and awesome typing means this is probably OU. It also have deceptively strong Moonblasts and status immunity thanks to its ability.
Misty Terrain doesn't actually boost Fairy moves, unless it got changed this gen?

I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with Nature Power instead of Moonblast since in a Misty Terrain, Nature Power beomes Moonblast and has more PPs than it.

This is definitely one of the better new pokemon. Great typing, ability. Even better is it has a nice move pool and great bulk and may be able to pull off a CM set. Keldeo is going to hide in a cave from this thing.

I was hoping it would learn Rest, but I guess GF figured it would be too good seeing how it's basically 100% recovery in one turn for free. Still, can see it being a pretty cool tank and I'm really happy it learns Defog. 70/110/130 bulk is pretty damn good when combined with its immunity to status, and it gets Calm Mind to boost its usable Sp. Attack stat. Its speed tier is also pretty good by SuMo standards!

I think it will have the greatest use in Doubles where it can be a good supporter with Misty Surge, Heal Pulse and DualScreens. A CM set probably has the most potential in OU, however a Defog tank set will also be a welcomed role on any balanced team, especially in the pre-bank metagame. Nature's Madness is also a decent option on it, giving it some more offensive presence.

I was hoping it would learn Rest, but I guess GF figured it would be too good seeing how it's basically 100% recovery in one turn for free. Still, can see it being a pretty cool tank and I'm really happy it learns Defog. 70/110/130 bulk is pretty damn good when combined with its immunity to status, and it gets Calm Mind to boost its usable Sp. Attack stat. Its speed tier is also pretty good by SuMo standards!

I think it will have the greatest use in Doubles where it can be a good supporter with Misty Surge, Heal Pulse and DualScreens. A CM set probably has the most potential in OU, however a Defog tank set will also be a welcomed role on any balanced team, especially in the pre-bank metagame. Nature's Madness is also a decent option on it, giving it some more offensive presence.
Terrain wouldn't heal the Rest sleep. It would just fail and not heal at all.

omg, I love this thing's stats, they are incredible! It even learns Defog, I am definitely using it. Amazing Design and competitive viability?! Hell yeah!

(the only downside is not getting recover. Although in hindsight, wouldn't that make it one of the best CM users ever?)

This will make a fantastic mixed wall with something like Moonblast/Hydro/HP Fire/Defog. Definitely going to use it. I'm so glad Gamefreak improved the diversity in hazard removers.

I just noticed Tapu Fini learns Refresh. The pokemon that autogenerates a terrain that prevents status conditions learns a move that heals its own status condition.

Classic Game Freak.
Considering that Misty Terrain disappears after 5-7 turns or when another Tapu switches in, being able to learn Refresh is perfectly reasonable.

canno

formerly The Reptile
keep in mind Scald can still burn non-grounded targets like the Latis, Skarmory, ect and can burn against the other Tapus, most importantly Bulu and Koko. The power difference between Surf and Scald is small enough that I think you might still run Scald on defensive sets despite not burning much.

You could also run Telepathy if you really wanted to, but considering immunity to status is way too good (this thing is a really good switch-in to Scalds) and it doesnt even get Rest for a Tapu Croni set, its probably better to just stick with Misty Surge.

this ability could carry a pokemon with far worse stats into viability, but luckily it comes with good defenses and even utility in defog. this mon will allow a lot more defensive breathing room for its team as it vastly improves the matchup for offensive pokemon against defensive pokemon who can only reply with chip damage, paralysis/toxic, or aim for a lucky scald or lava plume. After Tapu Fini has been on the field, I dont have to worry about switching physical attackers into scalds and lava plumes that they resist for fear of getting burned. i can set up on a chansey without any fear of retaliation, and i have this additional blanket of dragon "safety" that results in opposing mons like latios having to rely on a much more easily checked psychic STAB and making megazard X's coverage a little less fearsome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)