Tapu Koko Discussion

Bulky grass types. It 2HKOs Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur even without any investment.
Oh yeah this guy really screws amoongus over. Electric terrain protects from sleep for 5 turns. Spore users will be out of a job until it wears off. Though I'm sure terrain wars will be somewhat of a thing.

I am wondering. What happens when you use nature power while it's raining and electric terrain? Which effect does it draw from?

Last edited:
Oh yeah this guy really screws amoongus over. Electric terrain protects from sleep for 5 turns. Spore users will be out of a job until it wears off. Though I'm sure terrain wars will be somewhat of a thing.

I am wondering. What happens when you use nature power while it's raining and electric terrain? Which effect does it draw from?
Nature Power isn't affected by weather, it's affected by the environment. So Nature Power becomes Thunderbolt.

It does have the added benefit of hitting everything bar Shedinja, though. S Fang can't hit ghosts (unless the user has Scrappy).
Though you have to admit it'd be funny if you could have Shedinja's hp....

Nature Power isn't affected by weather, it's affected by the environment. So Nature Power becomes Thunderbolt.
Oh I see. I was thinking of weather ball.

Thought as a lead he opens up new move options for nature power users

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Huh.Tapu doesn't have much for Shedninja,does it?
Gets Brave Bird lol

I don't understand why everybody's extolling Nature's Madness. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't like nothing run Super Fang? Because it's... sort of bad? Koko is an offensive mon, and Nature's Madness is only helpful if you wouldn't otherwise 2HKO them with your other moves. If you can 2HKO them with your other moves, then just run those and don't waste a moveslot on Nature's Madness. If you can't, doesn't that mean Koko is a somewhat lackluster offensive mon?
Super Fang is hardly a bad move; it mostly comes down to whether the Pokemon in question can effectively make use of it. Super Fang has seen use on things like Crobat and, erm, Noivern I guess, but something as powerful and fast as Tapu Koko is likely to make far better use of this than nearly any other mon could due to the amount of pressure it can already dish out; more so than the other Tapus for that matter.

All out LO attacking set has merit, but i'm still interested in a slightly more niche / utility set that distinguishes itself from an all out attacking set.

thunderbolt / u-turn / roost or natures madness / taunt or natures madness
w/ Zap plate

Now, before you say this set lacks power, let me clarify, it doesn't

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham in Electric Terrain: 246-289 (94.2 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

---> in comparison, with just a Zap plate, it outpowers LO thundurus:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 214-253 (81.9 - 96.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

more calcs:

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile in Electric Terrain: 246-289 (87.5 - 102.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp in Electric Terrain: 286-337 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie in Electric Terrain: 219-258 (90.8 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W in Electric Terrain: 202-238 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable in Electric Terrain: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery --> though if you runt taunt, its definitely able to take out Clefable.

The raw power of electric terrain thunderbolt, even with zap plate over life orb, is insane. There is no need to run LO and make a mon with good resists and usable defences lose 10% of its hp every turn.

Now with its bulk not being compromised, Tapu KoKo reliably checks quite a few mons, and, since it only really needs to outspeed weavile in OU, there are 40 spare evs for hp:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Dedenne: 196-231 (67.3 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Dedenne: 82-97 (28.1 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO (taking into account sucker punches new 70 base power)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Dedenne: 141-167 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

also survives:

+2 44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Dedenne: 217-256 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and can hit back with:

252 SpA Zap Plate Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor in Electric Terrain: 177-208 (51.6 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

which is a lot of damage.

Natures madness + taunt is there for mons like amoongus and chansey. I personally prefer the idea of taunt / roost, as koko can taunt and roost on fat mons, then u-turn out. Though natures madness certainly has its use. U-turn was chosen over volt switch as pokemon like hippodown and landorus-t would otherwise be too damaging to this team and would suck too much momentum - which is what this set is ment to grab. U-turn also is good as when latios switches in on a thunderbolt, if rocks are up, u-turn has a chance to KO after a thunderbolt (even with timid and no evs).

Overall, an all out attacking set certainly has promise, and will probably be the set mainly used, but a slightly more niche set that offers utility and longevity certainly is enough to make a set like this still relevant in OU.

Brave bird actually
But then it will lose a whole 1 HP to recoil!

Tapu Koko though...It's ok? No Play Rough hurts, but Nature's Madness is great, it has Volt Switch AND U-Turn, Grass Knot and Brave Bird are nice. I see it having some potential.

But let's face facts, competitive play may not have been GF's intention with this one. It can run a set with T-Wave, Mean Look, Nature's Madness, and False Swipe, and Electric Terrain stops Mons from Resting up. Tapu Koko was designed to be the perfect capture Mon.

But let's face facts, competitive play may not have been GF's intention with this one. It can run a set with T-Wave, Mean Look, Nature's Madness, and False Swipe, and Electric Terrain stops Mons from Resting up. Tapu Koko was designed to be the perfect capture Mon.
But then you cannot force them to fall asleep...

VGC wise, I feel like this would be a great support mon like Thundurus or Crobat.

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender/Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP/148 Def/88 Sp.Def/20 Spe

- Taunt
- Roost
- Nature's Madness/Thunder Wave
- Thunder/Thunderbolt

Overall fairly bulky set like Thundurus was in VGC. Speed EVs are to speed creep +natured base 85 speed pokemon, although you can just dump more into Sp.Def. It doesn't really need any Sp.Atk investment IMO since Nature's Madness + Electric terrain give it enough power as is.

Any thoughts?
Just curious, what do the Defense EV's do? Garchomp 3HKO with Sitrus plus an Intimidate?

I dont think him going SpA is worth it. Sure T.Bolt is powered up by Terrain, but there's other Pokemon that can do "special sweeper" way better than him.

I say go physical. Keldeo has garbage for a movepool (if you have to resort to Icy Wind/HP as a water type for ice coverage, there's no saving you) yet he still has a use. I'm sure Tapu Koko will overcome his shallow physical movepool with his unique ability and Nature's Madness. Just send him out to revenge kill something, if you think they'll switch then Nature's Madness and thier switch in will now have 50% hp. Then you U-Turn out or stay in and KO them with a Terrain boosted Wild Charge or Brave Bird or... Steel Wing or something.

Last edited:
Just curious, what do the Defense EV's do? Garchomp 3HKO with Sitrus plus an Intimidate?
The EVs let it (barely) survive a Jolly LO Garchomp EQ. Unfortunately, going 252/252+ Def will let it survive an adamant LO one, but you should outspeed a max speed adamant one. At -1, Jolly LO has a slim chance of a 2HKO, but guarantees a 2HKO on Adamant.

Edit: Shuca berry could also be a semi-useful answer to Adamant as it makes it a 2HKO, while you still outspeed and with 0 investment, HP Ice is a solid 2HKO (assuming no HP/Sp.Def investment).

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 148-174 (83.6 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 159-190 (89.8 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 100-120 (54.6 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 101-120 (57 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 109-133 (61.5 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Shuca Berry Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 55-66 (31 - 37.2%) -- 67% chance to 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Shuca Berry Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 51-60 (28.8 - 33.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:
I dont think him going SpA is worth it. Sure T.Bolt is powered up by Terrain, but there's other Pokemon that can do "special sweeper" way better than him.

I say go physical. Keldeo has garbage for a movepool (if you have to resort to Icy Wind/HP as a water type for ice coverage, there's no saving you) yet he still has a use. I'm sure Tapu Koko will overcome his shallow physical movepool with his unique ability and Nature's Madness.
tapu koko is literally more powerful than any other electric special attacker bar the new ub xerxitree. You are underestimating electric terrain.

tapu koko is literally more powerful than any other electric special attacker bar the new ub xerxitree. You are underestimating electric terrain.
Nope I understand. I keep reminding people of Electric Terrain. However Electric does 0 to ground types, who are very common. If you can't T.Bolt them then the "boost" the terrain gives does jack to your other coverage moves, which are all non-STAB by the way.

I say go physical. Keldeo has garbage for a movepool (if you have to resort to Icy Wind/HP as a water type for ice coverage, there's no saving you) yet he still has a use. I'm sure Tapu Koko will overcome his shallow physical movepool with his unique ability and Nature's Madness.
And how many of those have Base 130 Speed, without even taking up the Mega slot?

And I don't think the Keldeo comparison really works. It's STABs are mostly what it needs anyway. Tapu Koko also lacks a spammable physical move like Keldeo has with Scald. If it got the new Electric-type physical move then maybe I could see your point.

And how many of those have Base 130 Speed, without even taking up the Mega slot?

And I don't think the Keldeo comparison really works. It's STABs are mostly what it needs anyway. Tapu Koko also lacks a spammable physical move like Keldeo has with Scald. If it got the new Electric-type physical move then maybe I could see your point.
He gets Roost. He can spam recoil moves and sustain himself as well.

He just looks like a weaker Jolteon when built towards Special Attack but with a more diverse movepool. Special invested Tapu Koko relies on it's boosted T.Bolts as the sole reason to pick it. Otherwise it's weaker than the other options out there. It even loses to little Accelegor by 5 base special attack and 10 base speed, unless it can use T.Bolt. And come on. People just swap to Landorus T the moment they see an electric type.

Last edited:
Nope I understand. I keep reminding people of Electric Terrain. However Electric does 0 to ground types, who are very common. If you can't T.Bolt them then the "boost" the terrain gives does jack to your other coverage moves, which are all non-STAB by the way.
if you look up, there is a set I posted that is tbolt w/ u-turn, which I personally believe is the best looking set so far. But for all out offensive options there is grass knot / hp ice with LO that still takes care of ground easily.

I cannot believe people really complain about this mon not being powerful enough, this reminds me when people though Talonflame was not a threat because it had lackluster attack, lol.

As much as it pains me to say it taking into account how much biased love I have for Raikou if this mon stays in OU I am pretty sure it has everything to be the best Elec mon in the tier, no joke, more bulk, secondary STAB, can attack from the physical or special side, immunity to Paralysys and Sleep, Immunity to Dragons, recover, like seriously it only misses on a good physical fairy move, but again Raikou,Zapdos,Thundurus dont have one.

The good side is that this could mean Raikou returning to UU to break havoc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)