move 4: Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
item: Psychium Z
ability: Psychic Surge
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows Tapu Lele to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense, making it an extremely powerful Pokemon and threatening to bulky teams. Psyshock is Tapu Lele's main STAB move that hits any Pokemon that doesn't resist it very hard, especially under Psychic Terrain. Psyshock is used over Psychic to deal with Chansey and specially defensive walls alike. When used in conjunction with Psychium Z this becomes a very powerful Shattered Psyche that is capable of doing a great amount of damage to any Pokemon, even resists, especially when boosted by Calm Mind. Moonblast is Tapu Lele's secondary STAB move that allows it to deal with Dark-type Pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Hoopa-U, which are immune to Psyshock. Focus Blast, albeit inaccurate, allows Tapu Lele to deal with Steel-types such as Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, which resist Tapu Lele's dual STAB combination. It also allows Tapu Lele to deal with Tyranitar and its mega forme, which are both capable of living a boosted Moonblast from full health. Hidden Power Fire provides useful coverage against Steel-types that Focus Blast is neutral against, like Mega Scizor. Taunt can be used instead of Calm Mind to prevent walls from recovering HP or crippling Tapu Lele and its teammates.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment in tandem with Maximum Speed investment maximizes Tapu Lele's offensive presence. A Timid nature allows it to Speed tie with Kyurem-B and outpace anything slower. Psychic Surge is Tapu Lele's only available ability and boosts the power of its Psychic-type moves to stupendous levels. Psychium Z grants Tapu Lele a very powerful nuke when under Psychic Terrain, it is capable of doing a great amount of damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, it also hits physically defensive walls harder than Psyshock because it targets Special Defense, instead of Defense; when boosted by Calm Mind it can even do a great amount of damage to most Pokemon that resist it, such as Celesteela and Mega Scizor. Fightinium Z can be used if Tapu Lele's team tends to struggle against Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Heatran, this allows it to effectively lure in and KO most Steel-types, it should only be used with Taunt. Tapunium Z may be used to lure in Pokemon like Celesteela, Magearna, and Jirachi; it strips 75% of the foe's HP and allows Tapu Lele to effectively beat them, Nature's Madness must be used instead of Calm Mind.

Usage Tips
========

Calm Mind Tapu Lele can be used as a wallbreaker. It can also be useful against bulkier oriented teams that are prepared for Choice Specs Tapu Lele, but can be lured by Calm Mind Tapu Lele. It's best to be patient with Tapu Lele, it should wait until its answers like Magearna or Celesteela are weakened and then try to sweep with Calm Mind. Sometimes it's useful to throw off the same attack, making your opponent think that Tapu Lele is equipped with a Choice Scarf, this can be very useful to set up a Calm Mind late-game and sweep. Tapu Lele can also come in on Pokemon that it's slower against after a teammate has been KOd, leading your opponent to believe that it's utilizing a Choice Scarf and switch out, this allows Tapu Lele to freely set up a Calm Mind and wallbreak or potentially sweep.

Team Options
========

Fire-types like Heatran and Charizard X are excellent partners to Tapu Lele, as they're capable of breaking through Steel-types which Tapu Lele tends to struggle against. Similarly, Magnezone can be used to trap these Steel-type Pokemon and effectively remove them from the match. Fighting-types like Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, and Mega Medicham can pressure Steel-types, making Tapu Lele's job a lot easier. Pokemon that benefit from Psychic Terrain such as Mega Alakazam and Mega Medicham are good teammates with Tapu Lele, the former shares a lot of checks with Tapu Lele and together they can overwhelm these checks, while the latter is capable of heavily pressuring Steel-types. Tapu Lele appreciates the support of entry hazards because they allow it to net KOs, also, considering the fact that Tapu Lele forces in Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, which lack reliable recovery makes them an extremely valuable asset, Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Clefable, Heatran, and Landorus-T are good teammates that can set up entry hazards. Pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Blacephalon like the pressure that Tapu Lele is able to put on Toxapex. Pivots like Magearna, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W can get in Tapu Lele safely, this is good considering that Tapu Lele is relatively frail and doesn't like having to take a hit. Late-game cleaners like Kartana, Magearna, and Keldeo appreciate Tapu Lele's ability to wallbreak, making it easier for them to clean up.

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
sedertz-Yesterday at 5:19 PM
do u approve it being called Z Move instead of calm mind
and putting fight z / tapunium
in set details
though
ill just cp this log into thread if so
because fight z needs to be in set details of this set
cause its getting axed
NEW MESSAGES
Colonel M-Yesterday at 5:29 PM
I'm fine with that

sedertz-Yesterday at 5:19 PM
do u approve it being called Z Move instead of calm mind
and putting fight z / tapunium
in set details
though
ill just cp this log into thread if so
because fight z needs to be in set details of this set
cause its getting axed
NEW MESSAGES
Colonel M-Yesterday at 5:29 PM
I'm fine with that
Implemented

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Implemented
thanks

not qc but fight z should mention thats its used with taunt, and tapunium is with natures madness > cm

probably rename the set z move since it covers all three z move sets and only one has cm

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Moonblast is Tapu Lele's secondary STAB move that allows it to deal with Dark-type Pokemon that are immune to Psyshock.
Mention examples here
Focus Blast, albeit inaccurate, allows Tapu Lele to deal with Steel-types, which resist Tapu Lele's dual STAB combination. It also allows Tapu Lele to deal with Tyranitar and its mega forme, which are both capable of living a boosted Moonblast from full health.
Here too
Tapunium Z may be used to lure in Pokemon like Celesteela and Ferrothorn, it strips 75% of the foe's HP and allows Tapu Lele to effectively beat them, Nature's Madness should be used instead of Calm Mind.
Magearnas a pretty big one and should be mentioned here too since it's like the biggest defensive roadblock against Lele
Calm Mind Tapu Lele can be used as both a wallbreaker and a late-game sweeper against teams that are unprepared for it.
I'm not a big fan of how this is worded, in theory any Lele set could do a number to unprepared teams so that's not exactly a draw of using this set+I don't like throwing assumptions like these into analyses, just mention how bulky teams are usually prepared for the specs set but can find trouble when facing this set. I understand you meant unprepared for this set but I think you can explain it a bit better
It's best to be patient with Tapu Lele, it should wait until its answers like Ferrothorn or Celesteela are significantly weakened and then try to sweep with Calm Mind.
Focus Blast does a big chunk to Ferro after a boost so it's prolly best to replace that mention with Mag, also probably not "significantly" weakened since they take like 50 from a +1 zmove

Rest looks good 1/3

Mention examples here

Here too

Magearnas a pretty big one and should be mentioned here too since it's like the biggest defensive roadblock against Lele

I'm not a big fan of how this is worded, in theory any Lele set could do a number to unprepared teams so that's not exactly a draw of using this set+I don't like throwing assumptions like these into analyses, just mention how bulky teams are usually prepared for the specs set but can find trouble when facing this set. I understand you meant unprepared for this set but I think you can explain it a bit better

Focus Blast does a big chunk to Ferro after a boost so it's prolly best to replace that mention with Mag, also probably not "significantly" weakened since they take like 50 from a +1 zmove

Rest looks good 1/3
Implemented.

Great job! I have a couple of knitpicky suggestions though :)
View attachment 96252
wtf is this lol?

qc: Leo / x / x
gp: x / x

[SET]
name: Z-Move
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Moonblast
move 4: Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
item: Psychium Z
ability: Psychic Surge
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Calm Mind allows Tapu Lele to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense, making it an extremely powerful Pokemon and threatening to bulky teams.
* Psyshock is Tapu Lele's main STAB move that hits any Pokemon that doesn't resist it very hard, especially under Psychic Terrain. Psyshock is used over Psychic to deal with Chansey and specially defensive walls alike. When used in conjunction with Psychium Z this becomes a very powerful Shattered Psyche that is capable of doing a great amount of damage to any Pokemon, even resists, especially when boosted by Calm Mind.
I think it's nice to mention weakened AV Magearna as a Psyshock target too. Also mention that physical walls can be hit with Shattered Psyche I guess?
* Moonblast is Tapu Lele's secondary STAB move that allows it to deal with Dark-type Pokemon like Ash-Greninja and Hoopa-U, which are immune to Psyshock.
I would mention Psychic resists that are neutral to Moonblast here, like opposing Tapu Lele, Mew and Reuniclus. Specially since Hoopa-U has no business in switching into or staying in on Lele.
* Focus Blast, albeit inaccurate, allows Tapu Lele to deal with Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Celesteela, which resist Tapu Lele's dual STAB combination. It also allows Tapu Lele to deal with Tyranitar and its mega forme, which are both capable of living a boosted Moonblast from full health.
Mention Heatran here too!
* Hidden Power Fire provides useful coverage against Steel-types that Focus Blast is neutral against, like Mega Scizor.
Specify Steels quad weak to Fire, as on Celesteela, for example, Focus Blast and HP Fire deal the exact same.
* Taunt can be used instead of Calm Mind to prevent walls from recovering HP or crippling Tapu Lele and its teammates.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Special Attack investment in tandem with Maximum Speed investment maximizes Tapu Lele's offensive presence.
* A Timid nature allows it to Speed tie with Kyurem-B and outpace anything slower.
* Psychic Surge is Tapu Lele's only available ability and boosts the power of its Psychic-type moves to stupendous levels.
* Psychium Z grants Tapu Lele a very powerful nuke when under Psychic Terrain, it is capable of doing a great amount of damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it; when boosted by Calm Mind it can even do a great amount of damage to most Pokemon that resist it.
I think it'd be nice to mention some examples here.
* Fightinium Z can be used if Tapu Lele's team tends to struggle against Steel-types, this allows it to effectively lure in and KO most Steel-types after a boost, it should only be used with Taunt
I think it'd be nice to mention some examples here too.
* Tapunium Z may be used to lure in Pokemon like Celesteela and Magearna, it strips 75% of the foe's HP and allows Tapu Lele to effectively beat them, Nature's Madness should be used instead of Calm Mind.
I'd add Jirachi too. It's arguably the best Tapu Lele switch in in the tier.
* Odd Incense can be used as it boosts the power of Tapu Lele's Psychic-type moves even further.
I'd specify that Tapu Lele should only opt for Odd Incense if another teammate already weilds a Z-Crystal.

Usage Tips
========

* Calm Mind Tapu Lele can be used as a wallbreaker. It can also be useful against bulkier oriented teams that are prepared for Choice Specs Tapu Lele, but can be lured by Calm Mind Tapu Lele.
* It's best to be patient with Tapu Lele, it should wait until its answers like Magearna or Celesteela are weakened and then try to sweep with Calm Mind.
I feel like it's actually the other way around, Lele's goal is more often than not to punch holes, wearing down said Magearna and Celesteela for it's teammates to wreak havoc. It can still sweep against certain Bulkier teams but I still feel like the wallbreaker role should be more emphasized here.
* Sometimes it's useful to throw off the same attack, making your opponent think that Tapu Lele is equipped with a Choice Scarf, this can be very useful to set up a Calm Mind late-game and sweep.
* Tapu Lele can also come in on Pokemon that it's slower against after a teammate has been KOd, leading your opponent to believe that it's utilizing a Choice Scarf and switch out, this allows Tapu Lele to freely set up a Calm Mind and wallbreak or potentially sweep.

Team Options
========

* Fire-types like Charizard X, Heatran, and Volcarona are excellent partners to Tapu Lele, as they're capable of breaking through Steel-types which Tapu Lele tends to struggle against.
* Similarly, Magnezone can be used to trap these Steel-type Pokemon and effectively remove them from the match.
* Fighting-types like Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Medicham can pressure Steel-types, making Tapu Lele's job a lot easier.
* Pokemon that benefit from Psychic Terrain such as Mega Alakazam and Mega Medicham are good teammates with Tapu Lele, the former shares a lot of checks with Tapu Lele and together they can overwhelm these checks, while the latter is capable of heavily pressuring Steel-types.
* Tapu Lele appreciates the support of entry hazards because they allow it to net KOs, also, considering the fact that Tapu Lele forces in Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela, which lack reliable recovery makes them an extremely valuable asset, Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Clefable, Heatran, and Landorus-T are good teammates that can set up entry hazards.
* Pokemon like Volcarona, Blacephalon, and Ash-Greninja like the pressure that Tapu Lele is able to put on Toxapex.
* Pivots like Magearna, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and Zapdos can get in Tapu Lele safely, this is good considering that Tapu Lele is relatively frail and doesn't like having to take a hit.
* Late-game cleaners like Keldeo, Volcarona, Magearna, and Kartana appreciate Tapu Lele's ability to wallbreak, making it easier for them to clean up.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
* Odd Incense can be used as it boosts the power of Tapu Lele's Psychic-type moves even further.
I'd just remove this, else I would just call the set Calm Mind to be honest.
* Psychium Z grants Tapu Lele a very powerful nuke when under Psychic Terrain, it is capable of doing a great amount of damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it; when boosted by Calm Mind it can even do a great amount of damage to most Pokemon that resist it, such as Celesteela and Mega Scizor.
Also mention that Psychium Z has the nice perk of hitting Special Defense instead of physical Defense like Psyshock does - it's minor, but it can make a difference in your targets.
* Tapunium Z may be used to lure in Pokemon like Celesteela, Jirachi, and Magearna, it strips 75% of the foe's HP and allows Tapu Lele to effectively beat them, Nature's Madness should be used instead of Calm Mind.
Not should, must. It's a technicality, but remember that Tapunium Z only works with Nature's Madness.
* Fire-types like Charizard X, Heatran, and Volcarona are excellent partners to Tapu Lele, as they're capable of breaking through Steel-types which Tapu Lele tends to struggle against.
Re-order in terms of relevance. Also a bit unsure about adding Volcarona as a partner since Volcs often have that Z Crystal slot too.
* Fighting-types like Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Medicham can pressure Steel-types, making Tapu Lele's job a lot easier.
Re-arrange in relevance.
* Pivots like Magearna, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and Zapdos can get in Tapu Lele safely, this is good considering that Tapu Lele is relatively frail and doesn't like having to take a hit.
Not really feeling Zapdos to be quite honest.
* Late-game cleaners like Keldeo, Volcarona, Magearna, and Kartana appreciate Tapu Lele's ability to wallbreak, making it easier for them to clean up.
Eh also not feeling Keldeo in this spot here. Hell there's better mons like Hawlucha which can take advantage of Lele too.

I'd just make sure to polish it a bit for relevant meta trends, and you should be okay to go.

2/3

I'd just remove this, else I would just call the set Calm Mind to be honest.

Also mention that Psychium Z has the nice perk of hitting Special Defense instead of physical Defense like Psyshock does - it's minor, but it can make a difference in your targets.

Not should, must. It's a technicality, but remember that Tapunium Z only works with Nature's Madness.

Re-order in terms of relevance. Also a bit unsure about adding Volcarona as a partner since Volcs often have that Z Crystal slot too.

Re-arrange in relevance.

Not really feeling Zapdos to be quite honest.

Eh also not feeling Keldeo in this spot here. Hell there's better mons like Hawlucha which can take advantage of Lele too.

I'd just make sure to polish it a bit for relevant meta trends, and you should be okay to go.

2/3
implemented writing up

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The set should still have its original name. My comment was to remove Odd Incense since its more OO and doesnt mesh with the set name. I didn't mean to change the set name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)