The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Facing a Masquerain in my X Nuzlocke with a Braixen. It's spamming Gust. We've got each other down to low health. I outsped it, so I went with Ember, expecting it to go with the non-priority Gust again. Instead, it went for Quick Attack. At this point I'm freaking out, because I only had 17 HP and didn't want to lose my Braixen.

I somehow lived with 2 HP, then killed it with my Ember. I have no words.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If there was ever a topic to bump back into the realm of the living, it's this one. And this is a doozy of a story.
So I'm playing X and I encounter the first trainer right after Santalune Forest. They are using Azurill. The first attack was a Water Gun, which is perfectly fine. The second? SPLASH. I saw an AI trainer use Splash when it could have used Water Gun. Wow.
I think the early-game trainer AI is programmed to be random like wild encounters. It's honestly not that surprising.

Okay so I've been following this thread for a while and I've been using Smogon to understand competitive play a little bit better. However, I've had a dumb AI moment happen to me and I'd like to share it.

Okay so I was at the Battle Chateau in Y because I needed to evolve my Riolu into Lucario so I could start breeding. I'm playing against one of those butler guys that has 3 Pokemon. He has a Scoliopede, Raichu, and Jumpluff. I switch my Riolu into Lopunny and proceed to use Dig. He uses Baton Pass on Scoliopede. Guess who he switches into? Yup Raichu. I OHKO when Lopunny comes up from the ground.

It was pretty funny. I just couldn't believe that happened to me before.

When i was training my level 25 Wartortle on Cycling Road on Pokémon Yellow, i came upon this NPC with a Machoke.
I sent out my Wartortle and he sent out the Machoke.
I kept using Water Gun and his Machoke kept using Leer..
And in Pokémon Stadium, a Golem used Self Destruct when i was either using Fly or Dig. I remember laughing so hard when that happened..

Last edited:
Hugh's Servine, in the Castelia Sewers, used Leech Seed on a Rattata that had 1 HP left.

EDIT: Also, this one last night:

The foe's Castform used Powder Snow! Dewott is frozen solid!

The very next turn:
The foe's Castform used Ember! Dewott thawed out!

*facepalm*

Last edited:
I was playing Moon and fighting a trainer battle. (I'm not going to say which one, because spoilers.) My mon was almost dead and theirs was at full health. Guess what the computer used.

Pain Split.

I was thinking, "Really, computer? You're going to be that dumb?"

This happened not once, but twice so far in my playthrough, with two different trainers.

I was playing Moon and fighting a trainer battle. (I'm not going to say which one, because spoilers.) My mon was almost dead and theirs was at full health. Guess what the computer used.

Pain Split.

I was thinking, "Really, computer? You're going to be that dumb?"

This happened not once, but twice so far in my playthrough, with two different trainers.
I noticed that myself. Maybe it's the same trainer, but the trainer's Mismagius could have EASILY taken out my Decideye due to being faster than it, but it decided to use Pain Split.

I don't think the AI really knows when to use that move.

Reactions: JES
I noticed that myself. Maybe it's the same trainer, but the trainer's Mismagius could have EASILY taken out my Decideye due to being faster than it, but it decided to use Pain Split.

I don't think the AI really knows when to use that move.
Guess the AI still makes Trump look like a genius in comparison. I had hoped they overhauled it. Sorry, couldn't help myself, especially after he whined about SNL!

Guess the AI still makes Trump look like a genius in comparison. I had hoped they overhauled it. Sorry, couldn't help myself, especially after he whined about SNL!
Oh, other parts ARE genius - like some of the totem battles actually have the AI use strategy against you. It's just they still trip up on some moves - Pain Split being a big one. Also the AI seemed to dip into the RBY era when it deals with using status moves against threatening opponents.

The Super Multi Battle in ORAS still makes the AI look like idiots:
  • A Preschooler had a Ludicolo against my Tornadus. I've just OHKOed his partner with Hurricane. So what does this Ludicolo use? Rain Dance. Unsurprisingly, I promptly OHKO it with Hurricane.
  • In a later battle, some Fighting-type (I forget what) was at 1 HP because of a Focus Sash against my Tornadus and Wally's Magnezone. It then goes ahead and uses Reversal. On the Tornadus.
  • And my personal favourite: "The opposing Vespiquen's Quick Claw let it move first!" "The opposing Vespiquen used Protect!"

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In one of the battles against Hau (in Malie City), I managed to beat his Raichu with my Vaporeon. Vaporeon managed to nab the KO after being pushed down to 8 HP by Electro Ball or Psychic or I can't really remember. Hau sent out his Brionne for an easy revenge KO. One more hit, and Vaporeon would go down. With 8 HP left, and at a level disadvantage, it's not like the type of the next move matters, it would be knocked out flat by anything.

So what does Hau order his Brionne to do? Why, Hydro Vortex of course. Because why not play your strongest card against a near-defeated enemy. Why not blow your single Z-move against an opponent with 8 HP left?

Because that opponent has Water Absorb. And now its HP is back up to 50 % or so. Buh-bye, Brionne!

In one of the battles against Hau (in Malie City), I managed to beat his Raichu with my Vaporeon. Vaporeon managed to nab the KO after being pushed down to 8 HP by Electro Ball or Psychic or I can't really remember. Hau sent out his Brionne for an easy revenge KO. One more hit, and Vaporeon would go down. With 8 HP left, and at a level disadvantage, it's not like the type of the next move matters, it would be knocked out flat by anything.

So what does Hau order his Brionne to do? Why, Hydro Vortex of course. Because why not play your strongest card against a near-defeated enemy. Why not blow your single Z-move against an opponent with 8 HP left?

Because that opponent has Water Absorb. And now its HP is back up to 50 % or so. Buh-bye, Brionne!
Apparently the AI is smart enough to understand it must not use moves the target is immune to due to an ability if it has already triggered. In the Vast Poni Canyon trial, the totem Kommo-o used Clanging Scales in the first turn against my Kommo-o, but Soundproof activated, and then never used the move again.

However, it's not smart enough to be careful around Pokemon that can have abilities that make them immune to a move their Pokemon have, if they have not triggered yet. Even if it's the only ability the target can have (e.g. The AI using status-inducing moves on a Minior that is on Meteor Form).

I guess the AI, in your situation, went by "Maybe that Vaporeon has Hydration!"

For some reason a Contrary Serperior in VoltWhite 2 has Calm Mind. And it kept using it…

Party!
I can understand that one. IIRC, absolutely no trainer in the base Gen V games uses Pokemon with Hidden Abilities, not even in the Battle facilities.

And since Contrary is only a Hidden Ability in those games, the AI may not be programmed to know how Contrary works, and that it shouldn't use boosting moves (or tested that it knows, at the very least).

Last edited:
Oh, other parts ARE genius - like some of the totem battles actually have the AI use strategy against you. It's just they still trip up on some moves - Pain Split being a big one. Also the AI seemed to dip into the RBY era when it deals with using status moves against threatening opponents.
I think what is generally happening with Pain Split is that AI sees it as a damaging move. When you are at low health, I believe the AI is programmed to use a weaker attack to KO a pokemon to preserve PP for the stronger attacks that are needed to KO the next thing coming in. What attack is weaker than a 0 BP attack to finish off a weakened opponent?

Of course, as best I can tell, AI uses Z Crystals completely randomly, which is why it can use Z moves to try to finish off a weakened opponent like Codra's example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)