The Genius / Society Game

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i really hate kyunghoon

this was the worst episode of all time in genius history with the exception of s2e6

edit: i might have to rewatch some brilliancy from s1 to forget this episode because this was fucking terrible

kyunghoon is the worst genius player ive ever seen, more clueless and way less entertaining than other "dumb" people like ahyoung or whoever, and he doesn't provide anything funny to compensate

Last edited:

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I finished season 1 a few days ago, and started on season 2. I love these type of logic-puzzle-social games, although I feel some of them are too chance based or too vulnerable to people throwing just so their alliance can win and give them immunity or help them in the death match. I was also disappointed with how they recycled or re-used some games, particularly for death matches. The producers did a really good job picking contestants, however. A lot of them had defining and unique personalities that clashed with others. I feel like a lot of the female contestants fit the same mold, though. The producers also did a great job on editing each episode. Instead of just showing all the important details and lies, they hide these things to allow us to play play along and receive surprising twists. From season 1, my favorite contestants were probably Poong, Gura, Sung-kyu, and Jin-ho.

It was also interesting for me to see how pro gamers are treated in South Korea. I've heard they were held at a celebrity-like status, but actually seeing supposed non-gamers use Starcraft terms when talking to or about Jin-ho was eye-opening.

Also, how important is the money to these contestants exactly? Most, if not all, are celebrities that are probably already well off. Is it more about the title of being a winner than the money?

season 2 slight spoilers
Another good batch of contestants so far. I like how they actually brought Jin-ho's Starcraft rival into this, making things deliciously awkward at times. The first two main games I've seen easily beat the starting of season 1.

Bass, or anyone that participated in his Circus Maximus games might find this show interesting. Some of these games could easily be played on a forum.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm far from someone who watches reality shows, but I saw episode 1 of season 1 last night and by the end it was fucking brilliant. Absolutely blew me away. I can't imagine a reality show keeping up the level of intrigue unless it's faked, but either way it was damn good. Will watch more.

YO PEOPLE ARE FOLLOWING SEASON 4 HERE NOT BAD.

Warning For the love of god please watch only when subs comes out. It is like 100x better post-subs.

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
can we get some fun discussion going on during the wait

what's your (least) favorite death match? black & white II has really enjoyable all of the times it appeared and the psychological battle is really thrilling.
meanwhile, quattro is the worst deathmatch i've ever seen - not only is it based on having a good amount of friends, but it's also heavily luck based as evidenced by the finals in season 2

RODAN

Banned deucer.
LASER CHESS

i just finished watching s2e5 and the main game was pretty cool except there were a few cards that broke the game (sangmins card, the one that prevents any vetoes or signs.) But fucking laser chess man, holy shit what an interesting game

Laser chess is really fun, and it's even better when they don't break the game like they did in that episode. In the normal board game, you can't put your pieces in the column blocking your opponent's laser. They also have lots of different recommended starting positions that change the dynamic of the game.

I don't like death matches that rely on friend support (like any of the rock paper scissors ones). If you're gonna bet and make it a psychological battle, poker is more fun. I like the memory ones quite a bit (the one that's basically just SET, stuff where you have to memorize boards, etc). Most of the death matches don't compare to the main game, though. More players just makes for potentially more interesting situations.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
didnt know this thread was here, this show is the best

i've seen every episode that's been subtitled so feel free to talk about this show with me on irc

Isa

subs for the latest episode will be delayed which SUCKS because im going on a trip starting thursday to a place without internet

fuck

ps. remind me what twelve janggi is

oh also tactical yutnori is really cool to be honest. the different yomi levels of thinking really shine through there.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
subs for the latest episode will be delayed which SUCKS because im going on a trip starting thursday to a place without internet

fuck

ps. remind me what twelve janggi is

oh also tactical yutnori is really cool to be honest. the different yomi levels of thinking really shine through there.
Twelve janggi is the game where both players have a king + 3 other characters on a board of 12 spaces and the goal is to get the king to the other territory or to defeat the other king. It's one of my favorite deathmatches tied with Black & White and Black & White II

Isa

ah yeah now i remember

uh i think the problem with that is that it'd be sorta kinda trivial to optimize if given enough time for preparation, since the playing board is so small. it's cool to look at and think about but i dont think its a superb death match game

ah yeah now i remember

uh i think the problem with that is that it'd be sorta kinda trivial to optimize if given enough time for preparation, since the playing board is so small. it's cool to look at and think about but i dont think its a superb death match game
I'm actually not sure about this, because the mechanic where you can bring pieces back to life really complicates things. I really like that game, and maybe it would be fun to try to optimize

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
12 janggi is solved in favor of the player going second. with perfect play they will never lose

S4E4 subs out, really good episode.

Despite the game being easy to win with a duo, the video editing and secrets kept from us by the producers was really well done, making for a nice twist at the end

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Man Season 1 was so good I def have to recommend it to my friends, but the season finale was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Isa

GLORIOUS

How is Dongmin not the best Genius player ever

go to bed Sangmin

I'll admit that Kyunghoon played his role really well too though, but wowowowow

death match was a major disappointment though.

s4e6
man i really like junseok but his lack of social ability is disappointing. I really want jungmoon out, and i've wanted yeonseung out for a long time so i'm content with that. monorail actually seems like a really cool game despite what i may have thought. It'd be better if more people did practice it like kyunghoon and had some sort of strategy. The way this season is turning out is kind of disappointing as well. It seems it will just end up as a dongmin fest with jinho hyunmin and kyungran getting carried or w/e. Hopefully something exciting happens that isn't just that

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What a messy episode. I understood the game but all the talking between Dongmin – Hyunmin – Kyungran and Jinho – Jungmoon – Dongmin made it really confusing. Not my favorite main match and the result of the main match was also pretty meh but the result from the Deathmatch was exactly what I was hoping for. Kyunghoon has really improved in the past few episodes and I am glad he won (actually I am just happy that Jungmoon lost because she was by far my least favorite player left, but I still don’t really like Kyunghoon for what he did in the beginning of the season) I think he can do well next round if the Minus Auction is the same as in S2 because he has the most garnets. Seeing the Dongmin alliance slowly splitting up really makes the season enjoyable to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)