The Luckiest Battle Ever or How I Learned to Love the Crit

As the title suggests, this story will include a harrowing tale of strategy, luck, loss, submission, and comeback. It is the story of how you are never done until your last Pokemon is down. It is the story of victory against all odds. It is the story of the intervention of some sadistic god. But I'll let you experience it for yourself.

Bosstone joined.

Perdoni joined.

Format:

Pokebank OU (beta)

Rated battle
Bosstone's team:Volcarona / Conkeldurr / Sigilyph / Heatran / Scizor / Terrakion

Perdoni's team:Gliscor / Trevenant / Genesect / Clefable / Rotom-Wash / Pinsir

Battle between Bosstone and Perdoni started!

Go! Conkeldurr!

Perdoni sent out Rotom-Wash!
As we start out, he leads with one of my least favorite leads: Rotom-W. Don't get me wrong; it's awesome on your side. It's one of the most annoying things to face if an opponent is packing it, though.
Perhaps he'll make the rookie mistake of burning me? If not, I can still tank anything he throws at me, and I can miss fish while getting a boost off.

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Hydro Pump!

Conkeldurr lost 34.9% of its health!

Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!

Conkeldurr's Attack rose!

Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

Conkeldurr restored HP using its Leftovers!
Thoughts: "Okay, so far so good. I'm only down to 65% health, I can probably still Bulk Up next turn."
I really should have gone for the Drain Punch after this turn; +1 on Conk is enough to make a pretty big dent in almost anything. However, I was feeling cocky, and expected another Hydro Miss.

The opposing Rotom-Wash used Volt Switch!

Conkeldurr lost 24.4% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash went back to Perdoni!

Perdoni sent out Trevenant!

Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!

Conkeldurr's Attack rose!

Conkeldurr's Defense rose!

is now at +2 Atk +2 Def. I'm feeling good, and Trevenant only makes me feel better.

In my short experience with
, it will typically be Specially Defensive, and run Harvest+Sitrus+WoW+Leech Seed. Aside from Leech Seed, Conk should have no issues with this.

The opposing Trevenant used Substitute!

The opposing Trevenant put in a substitute!

The opposing Trevenant lost 24% of its health!

Conkeldurr used Ice Punch!

It's super effective! The opposing Trevenant's substitute faded!

Ha! Standard fare for Conk. Hopefully they don't make this into a sub war, though...

The opposing Trevenant used Curse!

The opposing Trevenant cut its own HP and laid a curse on Conkeldurr!

The opposing Trevenant lost 50% of its health!

The opposing Trevenant ate its Sitrus Berry!

The opposing Trevenant restored HP using its Sitrus Berry!

Conkeldurr used Ice Punch!

It's super effective! The opposing Trevenant lost 50% of its health!

The opposing Trevenant fainted!

Conkeldurr lost some HP because of Curse!

Perdoni sent out Pinsir!

The opposing Pinsir breaks the mold!
Well, that was...unexpected. It's okay though. It's down. Conk's a lost cause at this point, so I'll just sack him to get the kill on the obvious Mega Pinsir. I'd rather be down 1 with a way to squish that bug than to still have Conk looking in the eye(s?) of a boosted Mega-Pinsir.

Score: 6-5 Bosstone/Dakar

Pinsir has Mega Evolved into Mega Pinsir!

The opposing Pinsir used Return!

It's super effective! Conkeldurr lost 40.3% of its health!

Conkeldurr fainted!

Go! Terrakion!
As expected, even with +2 Conkeldurr couldn't take the heat. So, time for my utility counter/revenge killer Terrakion to come in. I'm pretty much screwed if SE misses, but that's a risk I'm going to have to take.

Score: 5-5

The opposing Pinsir used Quick Attack!

Terrakion lost 35.5% of its health!

Terrakion used Stone Edge!

It's super effective! The opposing Pinsir lost 100% of its health!

The opposing Pinsir fainted!

Perdoni sent out Gliscor!
Score: 5-4 Bosstone/Dakar

is at about 64%
right now. He's scarfed, so... nothing on the opposing team outspeeds him. The obvious switch-in is Gliscor, and...

Terrakion, come back!

Go! Sigilyph!

The opposing Gliscor used Stealth Rock!

Pointed stones float in the air around your team!

Sigilyph's Flame Orb activated!

Sigilyph was burned!

The opposing Gliscor's Toxic Orb activated!

The opposing Gliscor was badly poisoned!
...no surprises here. Since I can keep Terak alive, there is absolutely no reason to stay in. Predicting the obvious EQ, a switch to Sigilyph is my best option right now. Heck, it may even set up a sweep!

The opposing Gliscor used U-turn!

Sigilyph lost 12.6% of its health!

The opposing Gliscor went back to Perdoni!

Perdoni sent out Clefable!

Sigilyph used Cosmic Power!

Sigilyph's Defense rose!

Sigilyph's Special Defense rose!
Alrighty, looks like we're playing someone with a practical knowledge of Sigilyph. Lots of players would have stayed in, only to be progressively doing less and less damage until an entire sweep of their team had gone down.

Clefable is an interesting beast this generation, what with its boost in stats and new typing. This could be more interesting than expected...

Sigilyph's Defense rose!

Sigilyph's Special Defense rose!

The opposing Clefable used Cosmic Power!

The opposing Clefable's Defense rose!

The opposing Clefable's Special Defense rose!
The stage has now been set for the main part of our story. Everything up to here was simply petty early game play. All of it stands in awe of what happens over the next 20 turns. I'll cut out the chaff, and move you, my beloved reader, to that point.

• Charge Beam
    Power

• 50Accuracy

• 90%PP

• 70% chance to boost the user's Sp. Atk by 1.

But it failed!

The opposing Clefable used Charge Beam!

It's super effective! Sigilyph lost 18.4% of its health!

The opposing Clefable's Special Attack rose!
At this point,

and
are at +4 Def/ +4 Sp. Def. Clefable is packing an extra +3 Sp. Atk from repeated Charge Beams. If this was simply a battle of Cosmic Power/Stored Power vs. Cosmic Power/Stored Power, Sigilyph would have an obvious type advantage, and come out on top. The boosts from Charge Beam throw a major wrench in that hope, and almost guarantee that I'm set to loose, and fast.

But it failed!

The opposing Clefable used Charge Beam!

It's super effective! Sigilyph lost 21.0% of its health!

The opposing Clefable's Special Attack rose!
This is the beginning of the end. Clefable only needs one more boost to have a 140 Base Power move coming off of x4 Sp. Atk. That's 560 effective base power. NOTHING can take that. It will also have the defenses of a god, so there will be no way to hit back if you can survive something of that power.

Sigilyph used Roost!

Sigilyph regained health!

The opposing Clefable used Stored Power!

It's not very effective... Sigilyph lost 47.4% of its health!
Ha! Clefable LAUGHS at your puny Roost. NOTHING can stop its wrath! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Perdoni: dun dun

Perdoni: oo

Sigilyph used Stored Power!

The opposing Clefable lost 16% of its health!

The opposing Clefable used Stored Power!

A critical hit! It's not very effective... Sigilyph lost 52.6% of its health!

Sigilyph fainted!

The opposing Clefable restored HP using its Leftovers!

Perdoni: gg

Bosstone: gg

Go! Scizor!

Pointed stones dug into Scizor!
Here comes the boom.

The gg before the storm.

With not a hope in sight,

Into the battle charged the Light (Metal) Brigade

Score: 4-4

Scizor has Mega Evolved into Mega Scizor!

Scizor used Bullet Punch!

A critical hit! It's super effective! The opposing Clefable lost 90% of its health!

The.

Opposing.

Clefable.

Fainted!

Perdoni: ormdosf

Perdoni: odfomk

Perdoni: fokokfkd

Perdoni: kf

Bosstone: OR NOT!

Perdoni: [pkfS

Perdoni: K

Perdoni: KCSKPF[P[AF

Perdoni: [PO

Perdoni: F[

Perdoni: [pd

Perdoni: p[fdp

Perdoni: o[fposdop

Perdoni: dop[

Perdoni: fpdok[op

Perdoni: [PFi fukin knew it aswelll

Here we can see the opponent break down into babbling hysterics. If it were to be compared to something, one could compare the feeling felt here to seeing your fresh off-the lot Ferrari completely totaled by a Samba bus careening down the road.

After finding out your fiancee was cheating on you.

With your best friend.

And you were adopted.

And then, for good measure, it begins to rain, and you are struck with lightning.

Bosstone: HOLD THE FREAKIN' PRESSES.

Perdoni: fukin knew it!

Perdoni: i lose

Perdoni sent out Genesect!

The opposing Genesect's Download raised its Special Attack!

At this point, the opponent had lost the ability to can. There was no spirit left in that man. It was torn to shreds and stamped down by a vicious RNG. But, he tries to gather his last shreds of spirit into a well-played rest of game.
Score: 4-3 Bosstone/Dakar

Scizor, come back!

Go! Heatran!

Pointed stones dug into Heatran!

The opposing Genesect used U-turn!

It's not very effective... Heatran lost 5.7% of its health!

The opposing Genesect went back to Perdoni!

Perdoni sent out Rotom-Wash!

Heatran restored HP using its Leftovers!
Expecting a Flamethrower, I removed Scizor from the equation to let it fight another day. No way I would let this battle out of my grasp.

It's super effective! Heatran lost 66.8% of its health!

Heatran used Magma Storm!

It's not very effective... The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 27% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash became trapped by swirling magma!

The opposing Rotom-Wash restored HP using its Leftovers!

Heatran restored HP using its Leftovers!

The opposing Rotom-Wash is hurt by Magma Storm!
At this point, it's better to let Heatran die than to keep it in.

It's super effective! Heatran lost 27.2% of its health!

Heatran fainted!

The opposing Rotom-Wash's Magma Storm ended!

Go! Terrakion!

Pointed stones dug into Terrakion!
As expected,
goes down. This gives me a beautiful opportunity to get one or two kills with Terrakion before its time comes.

Score: 3-3

Terrakion used Close Combat!

The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 72% of its health!

Terrakion's Defense fell!

Terrakion's Special Defense fell!

Terrakion avoided the attack!

Another streak of luck; the RNG gods either love me, or hate him. One more CC and it's done.

Perdoni: \hhhsHDshadsah

Perdoni: d

Perdoni: J

The opposing Rotom-Wash lost 7.0% of its health!

The opposing Rotom-Wash fainted!

Perdoni: FUK THIS

Perdoni sent out Genesect!

The opposing Genesect's Download raised its Special Attack!
As with any reasonable player, this is some shit. With the sucker punch to the luck Perdoni recieved, this is just the icing on the cake. For him, I'd recommend a daily dose of rabbit's feet for the next 7 years.

Score:3-2 Bosstone/Dakar

Bosstone: The RNG gods are fickle today.

Bosstone: REALLY fickle.

The opposing Genesect lost 93% of its health!

The opposing Genesect used Iron Head!

It's super effective! Terrakion lost 58.3% of its health!

Terrakion fainted!

Go! Scizor!

Pointed stones dug into Scizor!
With this, I know that Genesect isn't running a special set, but it has >3%, so that information isn't even pertinent. Scizor can easily off it, and can set up on Gliscor to win (even though set up probably isn't required). At this point, the battle has TRULY wrapped.

Score: 2-2

It's not very effective... The opposing Genesect lost 7.0% of its health!

The opposing Genesect fainted!

Perdoni sent out Gliscor!
Bullet Punch does its job, and finishes off Genesect.

Score: 2-1 Bosstone/Dakar

The opposing Gliscor used Stealth Rock!

But it failed!

Scizor used Swords Dance!

Scizor's Attack sharply rose!
Perdoni: o god

Perdoni: i fail

The opposing Gliscor used Earthquake!

Scizor lost 26.4% of its health!

Scizor lost 24.9% of its health!

Scizor used Roost!

Scizor regained health!
Bosstone: That Clefable tho.

Perdoni: hah

Perdoni: ye

Perdoni: well that crit though

Bosstone: Underated threat of this Gen, 100%

Scizor lost 26.7% of its health!

At this point, Scizor is at x3. Gliscor has quite the defense, but this is not his time to shine.

A critical hit! Scizor lost 34.6% of its health!

Scizor used Roost!

Scizor regained health!

The opposing Gliscor lost 96% of its health!

A critical hit! Scizor lost 34.6% of its health!

The opposing Gliscor restored HP using its Poison Heal!
Apparently the gods felt sorry for the loving spoonful they dished out to Perdoni. They gave him 2 crits in a row, but that didn't even dent Scizor.

Perdoni: by

Perdoni: bye

Bosstone: Well, your luck is back now.

Bosstone: Sadly, it's too late for it to matter.

The opposing Gliscor lost 16% of its health!

The opposing Gliscor fainted!

Bosstone won the battle!
And that's it.

Final Score: 2-0 Dakar/Bosstone

The story of the most well timed critical hit possibly in the history of the world. Without it, and another lucky Hydro Pump miss, I would have definitely lost this match. It seems that lady luck had other plans.

Surprisingly, this battle offers a life lesson: It's not over until you give up. Even when the odds have been turned against you, if there is still time on the clock there is always the ability to come back. Sometimes it requires luck. Sometimes it needs skill. Regardless, you can overcome the odds.

Ladder updating...

Bosstone's rating: 1771 → 1799

(+28 for winning)

Perdoni's rating: 1676 → 1667

(-9 for losing)

Bosstone: very gg

Perdoni left.

In closing, if you see Perdoni in passing on PS, make sure to wish him luck.

He needs it.

Last edited:
Vicious.

Not viscous. Vicious.

Normally I'm opposed to warstories reliant on hax, but this one actually teaches a valuable lesson: that defense-boosting sets will always be flawed due the the nature of critical hits. Moreover the luck is a central point to your story rather than a factor you try to sweep under the rug and call skill.

Not fantastic, but again, it has a nice message for all the budding stallers out there who think boosting defense is a surefire means of victory. Turning yourself into a wall requires so many turns, and thus so many hits from the opposing player, that a crit is bound to happen sooner or later.

So remember, kids: always use defensive boosters that also boost offense, when possible, otherwise screens are your best friends.

Vicious.

Not viscous. Vicious.

Normally I'm opposed to warstories reliant on hax, but this one actually teaches a valuable lesson: that defense-boosting sets will always be flawed due the the nature of critical hits. Moreover the luck is a central point to your story rather than a factor you try to sweep under the rug and call skill.

Not fantastic, but again, it has a nice message for all the budding stallers out there who think boosting defense is a surefire means of victory. Turning yourself into a wall requires so many turns, and thus so many hits from the opposing player, that a crit is bound to happen sooner or later.

So remember, kids: always use defensive boosters that also boost offense, when possible, otherwise screens are your best friends.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed. Yeah, after working on my post I browsed through a couple other posts and noticed that hax seemed to be frowned upon. I agree that it does help to teach a lesson, especially to players who see setup sweepers as an insurmountable wall. Although it may not be obvious from the content and the way the game was played, the team I used is generally reliant on setup. This often leads to victories of one Pokemon against 2- 3- or even 6- Pokemon, depending on the opportunity that's set up. This helps to show that that IS NOT an unbeatable strategy. One could be led to thinking that with the nerf to crits, these types of teams are even more unbeatable. This proves that they aren't.

They are still prone to crits which can easily end a sweep.

They can still be phased out, especially with a Sturdy user coupled with Roar, or one of my personal favorites, Greninja running Haze.

And, the best solution to them: killing them quickly.
If something relies on setup for its bulk, prevent it from becoming bulky. Don't have a way to do that? Adapt your team to be able to, because you will run into this strategy in some way or another, and you cannot get by without it.

P.S. - This isn't aimed at you, JayHankEdLyon, it's simply my opinion on how to deal with these ever-prevalent threats that I predict will become ever more so in this meta.

I find this to be a very interesting warstory. It's obviously not your typical run of the mill "showdown of the best" that usually gets celebrated around here, where hax is seen as a horrible blemish and the focus is on watching and learning from two skilled opponents clash.

Instead this is more of a cautionary tale (with a lot of good humor thrown into the mix to keep it inteseting). I like that, it dares to defy the norm while still making sure to be interesting and informative. This story very clearly lays out the danger of relying on defensive stat boosts, as well as the lesson that you should never give up on a battle until it's well and truly over.

That being said, I will say the formatting was a little awkward and I didn't much care for it. Maybe I'm just biased towards the more familiar old school formatting method, but this just felt awkward and bare to me. Also, having to expand the sections where the battle logs were placed was a bit of a pain in the ass. It's not helped by the fact that the box for turn 28 either got broken or you decided not to hide it. It's not a big deal but the break in the consistency of the formatting bothers me and could be potentially confusing.

In any case, keep at it. You might want to try a new method of formatting next time (perhaps a more standard one), but that just might be my bias talking. I did quite enjoy reading this, and I hope to see more from you in the future. It really was quite a funny read :P

I find this to be a very interesting warstory. It's obviously not your typical run of the mill "showdown of the best" that usually gets celebrated around here, where hax is seen as a horrible blemish and the focus is on watching and learning from two skilled opponents clash.

Instead this is more of a cautionary tale (with a lot of good humor thrown into the mix to keep it inteseting). I like that, it dares to defy the norm while still making sure to be interesting and informative. This story very clearly lays out the danger of relying on defensive stat boosts, as well as the lesson that you should never give up on a battle until it's well and truly over.

That being said, I will say the formatting was a little awkward and I didn't much care for it. Maybe I'm just biased towards the more familiar old school formatting method, but this just felt awkward and bare to me. Also, having to expand the sections where the battle logs were placed was a bit of a pain in the ass. It's not helped by the fact that the box for turn 28 either got broken or you decided not to hide it. It's not a big deal but the break in the consistency of the formatting bothers me and could be potentially confusing.

In any case, keep at it. You might want to try a new method of formatting next time (perhaps a more standard one), but that just might be my bias talking. I did quite enjoy reading this, and I hope to see more from you in the future. It really was quite a funny read :P
Thanks! I know, that formatting was a bit of a bitch to put in too. I looked at some others; how do you set up the "old style" of formatting? I'd be up for making edits to make it easier to read, I'm just not 100% sure where to start! I'll definitely be sure to write the good battles up when I have them; I just have to have more! Thanks again for the encouragement.

Thanks! I know, that formatting was a bit of a bitch to put in too. I looked at some others; how do you set up the "old style" of formatting? I'd be up for making edits to make it easier to read, I'm just not 100% sure where to start! I'll definitely be sure to write the good battles up when I have them; I just have to have more! Thanks again for the encouragement.
Well, the format I like the most is the one I use for my own warstories like this one, which I did not realize until I went to find an example of the format I was talking about was actually good enough to archive. Makes me feel a lot more qualified to give out advice on how to write them lol :P.

Of course I kind of went overboard with the formatting on that one and there was dual commentary thrown into the mix, so here's an example of a simpler style that still works very well. You certainly don't have to go as far as I did, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my own work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)