Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-W @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave / Pain Split

The key difference from standard here is the EVs. The analysis spread is max defense and technically this is allowed.

Basically the aim of this set is to outpace certain 'mons to Wisp or T-wave or Hydro before they can move. The listed EVs outpace jolly Mega Tyranitar (this creeps the crowded 70 speed tier while minimising the risk of speed ties with the sheer volume of other creepers) while maximising overall bulk with the remaining EVs. Sitrus is better on more HO builds (credit to AM for this) whereas Lefties is better on more balanced/BO builds.

Last edited:
Fast pivot is literally the same set lol-
@above: other speed tiers include jolly mega scizor (168 timid), gyara (216 timid, also outspeeds base 80s so its nice), ada lando-t (196 timid). i agree that base 70s is the minimum to burn bisharp though it depends on what you need it for.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snatch

Snatch stops people from using Rotom-W's weak damage output as set up fodder. Steals CM boosts from things like Clefable, Slowbro, stops Chansey from using Softboiled on it, etc. Very annoying for bulkier sets, as all their status moves get stolen.

Last edited:
Bulky Trick Scarf Rotom-W

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

General idea: tricking Choice Scarf to some defensive pokemons, you can neuter their utility forcing them to switch in&out repeatedly during the match. In this way you can steal Leftovers or Rocky Helmet (and so on) in order to make up for the lack of Pain Split.
A faster WoW is also good and unexpected.

EVs spread: this is the classic Defensive spread with 8 Spe to outspeed Crawdant even without the aid of Scarf.

Last edited:
Choice Specs Rotom-W

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Shadow Ball

Choice Specs Rotom-W makes an offensive pivot.
52 evs speed to be faster than 8 speed evs Landorus-T.
Shadow Ball takes insane 75.5 - 89.6% of Latios, and Hydro Pump is 2HKO Tangrowth physical defense and Clefable.
In additional, Trick for switching items with Chansey or Clefable, or even Amoonguss and repass Black Sludge to another opponent in the future.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry / Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Rest
- Toxic

let's be real. how innovative are our rotom-w sets gonna be without going too far and memeing the fuck out of this mon? choice trick has to be the oldest trick in the book since rotom-w's release so perhaps something that could aid it in the current metagame would be cool? dual status rotom-w helps offense / balance that lack solid wallbreaking potential by providing a method to toxic common fat mons. not only does it scare out bulkier waters but it also helps with the stall matchup since things like skarm / hippo / quag / tang / spdef king / zard x / mbro / cress and whatnot don't appreciate either the burn or the toxic.

ofc this just means you forgo semi-reliable recovery in pain split / chesto resto, but if you feel that you have a problem with any of the mons other than skarm and that you have something else to deal with physically oriented attackers then by all means go standard rotom with toxic over wisp.

p2

Banned deucer.
double status

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

the idea of double status rotom was brought up in the qc chat a while ago, i think it was stath that originally brought up the idea of it and it's a pretty cool set. you've got wisp to put pressure on switchins like venusaur and amoonguss and when wisp is revealed people aren't gonna hesistate to switch in stuff like latis or try to set up with zard x which falls flat on its face when they get twaved.

no reliable recovery but you can pass wishes if you really want to keep rotom healthy.

Expert Belt Rotom-w

Rotom-Wash @ Expert Belt
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Pain Split / Will-O-Wisp

Since there's like close to no fun things I can do with rotom-w for the final week I just decided to make ebelt rotom-w. Expert Belt lures ppl into thinking ur chesto or some choice set since majority of the moves on dis rotom-w r typical on other rotom-w's. Expert Belt helps it manage to 2HKO majority of the things dat usual cockblock it. U can chose from HP Fire or HP Ice for coverage. The last move can be for a slight recovery in pain split for longevity or wisp. 192 Speed to outspeed Max Speed Timid Heatran. Hazards help it get 2HKOs and OHKOs. Rest of the EVs r for HP investment, 64 keeps an odd amount of HP for rocks.

Calcs: 252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 142-168 (48.7 - 57.7%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 125-149 (41.8 - 49.8%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 353-418 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 211-250 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 269-322 (95.7 - 114.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 312-370 (87.3 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-T: 259-305 (86.6 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Voting Starts now and Ends in 48 Hours! Here are your choices:

Fast Pivot Rotom-W
Snatch Rotom-W
Bulky Trick Scarf Rotom-W
Choice Specs Rotom-W
Toxic Rotom-W
Dual Status Rotom-W
Expert Belt Rotom-W

When I hear Next Best Thing I immediately thought of Fast Pivot Rotom and Dual Status. In my personal opinion, both are fairly accepted and used frequently. Blunder's medicham team utilizes double status while a lot of teams like support for being able to snag a burn on things like Breloom, Bisharp, etc. When thinking about Rotom-W and it's place in the meta I would incline my decision to a set that uses Rotom-W's defensive capabilities. (Although Specs sounds cool) Although I wouldn't say Fast Pivot is anything new, my vote goes to Fast Pivot. WAT DAfoq SNATCH is so cool. I didn't know it could steal boosts. Vote goes to snatch

p2

Banned deucer.
double status isn't standard???????????????????

where are you all pulling this from, just because 1 popular team uses it doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes standard.

snatch is legit a creative option but rotom-h does it better if you ask me, still voting for it but i dont understand some of the logic going around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)