SM OU "The water rises!" Mega Swampert + Tapu Bulu Rain Offence

It's been a while since I've played. The team is pretty basic when it comes to Rain offence. But I'm having trouble filling in the defensive holes. Maybe I'm just rusty. I'm hoping the fine people here can tell me where I went wrong.

Team Building Process

With 150 base attack and blazing speed under rain, M-Swampert hits like a truck immediately out of the gate. A staple at this point if you're going with rain offence.

The new premier rain setter in SM OU. Pelipper functions great supportively. Clearing away hazards with defog, burning targets with scald, Setting up rain and u-turning out. It's support for rain teams can't be overlooked. A must for any rain team.

Another powerhouse under rain. Doing what M-Swampert does. But on the special side. With Immediate power and speed under rain, many pokemon have a hard time switching into Specs Kingdra and not getting 2HKO'ed. Obvious staple.

While being one of the worst pokemon to face against while using rain offence. Ferrothorn paradoxically is one of the best pokemon to also have on your team for rain offence. Offering great utility as well as defensive synergy, Ferrothorn covers a lot of rain's defensive problems. Just not all of them.

This is where I wanted to try something different. Though I can't %100 tell if this is what I'm looking for. Bulu does function well and has good synergy with the rest of the team. But I'm honestly not sure if I'm running the wrong set, or if Bulu just isn't as good in rain as I thought it'd be.

Heatran blanket checks a lot of the team's more problematic counters. The biggest one being Ferrothorn. Though fire and water don't generally mix well, he's proven himself time and time again in rain.

---​

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Hammer Arm

M-Swampert was always the main draw for me when it came to rain teams. Max Atk and Spe to just absolutely abuse M-Swampert in rain. Waterfall becomes a nightmare to tank in rain. Denting anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake is another high powered stab that's almost as spammable, hitting would be check like Toxapex hard. Ice Punch adds another layer of coverage. Hitting most notably Landorus as well as Grass and Dragon types for a good chunk of damage. I've been torn between Stone Edge and Hammer Arm for coverage. Stone Edge hits Zapdos harder than Ice Punch, and Volcarona without the burn Chance. But Hammer Arm 2HKO's Ferrothorn on the switch. Both are a neutral option against Rotom-W. I might opt in Hammer Arm after more testing. I'd like help choosing if anyone knows better.

---

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Defensive Utility Pelipper has been working very well for me so far. Scald under rain hit's reasonably hard. The an added %30 burn chance is just a bonus. U-turn allows quick in and outs to set up rain while keeping momentum. Besides Pelipper itself, no one else on the team is really weak to entry hazards. Defog support is still appreciated though. Roost, something Politoad wishes it had, keeps Pelipper healthy throughout the match to set up rain. One of it's biggest draws, besides being nearly an all in one for rain, was being able to safely switch into M-Charizard-Y and reset the weather. That has been a huge help in the weather wars since M-Char-Y can obliterate most of the pokemon on my team by itself with the right coverage.

---

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Max SpA and Spe to ensure I'm hitting first and hard. Hydro Pump+Specs+Rain dents most pokemon. Most notably Ferrothorn. Making safe switch-ins near impossible. Surf is a safer option if the opponent is already weakened and the risk of missing Hydro Pump isn't worth it. Draco Meteor is a nice coverage option. Hitting almost as hard as Hydro Pump while also hitting a few key pokemon super effectively. Ice Beam rounds out the coverage, hitting things like Tangrowth decently hard.

---

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Stealth Rock is an extremely important tool. The amount of switches this team forces means that SR damage will likely rack up fast. Making it easier for the rest of the team to sweep with their rain boosted stabs. Leech Seed offers recovery as well as a way to annoy. Not many people wanna stay in on Leech Seed. Power Whip and Leech Seed on this set pairs very well with Bulu. Grassy Surge boost the power of Power Whip to ludicrous levels, while also offering increased healing potential for Ferro and the rest of the team. Gyro Ball is a nice second stab option that hits pokemon like Kyurem-B hard.

---

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

I'm honestly unsure what set to run. I went with a more bulky spread that way Bulu last more throughout the match. Sword dance makes it so Bulu hits absurdly hard. Lowering the amount of pokemon willing to switch in. Horn Leech is a good stab that doubles as a way to heal of damage. Superpower hits the more than obvious counter e.g. Ferrothorn and Heatran. Stone Edge hits most pokemon that resist Bulu's stab for decent damage if not outright killing them. Zen Headbutt is another option I was considering for Venusaur. But I can't find another use for it besides that. I'd really like help on picking a set. Bulu functions very well on the team. I'm just unsure how to get the most of it.

---

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Taunt
- Solar Beam

My last ditch effort to help and patch some of the team's bigger problems. Max Spa so Heatran is still able to hit it's targets hard while under rain. Max Spe because it's what Smogon suggests. Magma Storm hits hard as well as traps opposing 'mons. Earth Power for opposing Heatran as well as A-Marowak. Toxic for anything that might resist Heatran's attacks. Taunt has been useful as well. Hard to decide which works better. Solar Beam+Grassium Z for would be checks e.g. Rotom-W.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've played. The team is pretty basic when it comes to Rain offence. But I'm having trouble filling in the defensive holes. Maybe I'm just rusty. I'm hoping the fine people here can tell me where I went wrong.

Team Building Process

With 150 base attack and blazing speed under rain, M-Swampert hits like a truck immediately out of the gate. A staple at this point if you're going with rain offence.

The new premier rain setter in SM OU. Pelipper functions great supportively. Clearing away hazards with defog, burning targets with scald, Setting up rain and u-turning out. It's support for rain teams can't be overlooked. A must for any rain team.

Another powerhouse under rain. Doing what M-Swampert does. But on the special side. With Immediate power and speed under rain, many pokemon have a hard time switching into Specs Kingdra and not getting 2HKO'ed. Obvious staple.

While being one of the worst pokemon to face against while using rain offence. Ferrothorn paradoxically is one of the best pokemon to also have on your team for rain offence. Offering great utility as well as defensive synergy, Ferrothorn covers a lot of rain's defensive problems. Just not all of them.

This is where I wanted to try something different. Though I can't %100 tell if this is what I'm looking for. Bulu does function well and has good synergy with the rest of the team. But I'm honestly not sure if I'm running the wrong set, or if Bulu just isn't as good in rain as I thought it'd be.

Heatran blanket checks a lot of the team's more problematic counters. The biggest one being Ferrothorn. Though fire and water don't generally mix well, he's proven himself time and time again in rain.

---​

Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Hammer Arm

M-Swampert was always the main draw for me when it came to rain teams. Max Atk and Spe to just absolutely abuse M-Swampert in rain. Waterfall becomes a nightmare to tank in rain. Denting anything that doesn't resist it. Earthquake is another high powered stab that's almost as spammable, hitting would be check like Toxapex hard. Ice Punch adds another layer of coverage. Hitting most notably Landorus as well as Grass and Dragon types for a good chunk of damage. I've been torn between Stone Edge and Hammer Arm for coverage. Stone Edge hits Zapdos harder than Ice Punch, and Volcarona without the burn Chance. But Hammer Arm 2HKO's Ferrothorn on the switch. Both are a neutral option against Rotom-W. I might opt in Hammer Arm after more testing. I'd like help choosing if anyone knows better.

---

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Defensive Utility Pelipper has been working very well for me so far. Scald under rain hit's reasonably hard. The an added %30 burn chance is just a bonus. U-turn allows quick in and outs to set up rain while keeping momentum. Besides Pelipper itself, no one else on the team is really weak to entry hazards. Defog support is still appreciated though. Roost, something Politoad wishes it had, keeps Pelipper healthy throughout the match to set up rain. One of it's biggest draws, besides being nearly an all in one for rain, was being able to safely switch into M-Charizard-Y and reset the weather. That has been a huge help in the weather wars since M-Char-Y can obliterate most of the pokemon on my team by itself with the right coverage.

---

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Max SpA and Spe to ensure I'm hitting first and hard. Hydro Pump+Specs+Rain dents most pokemon. Most notably Ferrothorn. Making safe switch-ins near impossible. Surf is a safer option if the opponent is already weakened and the risk of missing Hydro Pump isn't worth it. Draco Meteor is a nice coverage option. Hitting almost as hard as Hydro Pump while also hitting a few key pokemon super effectively. Ice Beam rounds out the coverage, hitting things like Tangrowth decently hard.

---

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Stealth Rock is an extremely important tool. The amount of switches this team forces means that SR damage will likely rack up fast. Making it easier for the rest of the team to sweep with their rain boosted stabs. Leech Seed offers recovery as well as a way to annoy. Not many people wanna stay in on Leech Seed. Power Whip and Leech Seed on this set pairs very well with Bulu. Grassy Surge boost the power of Power Whip to ludicrous levels, while also offering increased healing potential for Ferro and the rest of the team. Gyro Ball is a nice second stab option that hits pokemon like Kyurem-B hard.

---

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

I'm honestly unsure what set to run. I went with a more bulky spread that way Bulu last more throughout the match. Sword dance makes it so Bulu hits absurdly hard. Lowering the amount of pokemon willing to switch in. Horn Leech is a good stab that doubles as a way to heal of damage. Superpower hits the more than obvious counter e.g. Ferrothorn and Heatran. Stone Edge hits most pokemon that resist Bulu's stab for decent damage if not outright killing them. Zen Headbutt is another option I was considering for Venusaur. But I can't find another use for it besides that. I'd really like help on picking a set. Bulu functions very well on the team. I'm just unsure how to get the most of it.

---

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Solar Beam
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Taunt
- Solar Beam

My last ditch effort to help and patch some of the team's bigger problems. Max Spa so Heatran is still able to hit it's targets hard while under rain. Max Spe because it's what Smogon suggests. Magma Storm hits hard as well as traps opposing 'mons. Earth Power for opposing Heatran as well as A-Marowak. Toxic for anything that might resist Heatran's attacks. Taunt has been useful as well. Hard to decide which works better. Solar Beam+Grassium Z for would be checks e.g. Rotom-W.
Bulu is definitely not a good idea for rain, as it beefs up grass dmg to all ur rain mons. Id suggest using tornadus theriam, who fires off powergul hurricanes, can knock off items and regen is amazing for it. Also, why does tran have 8 moves lol

Bulu is definitely not a good idea for rain, as it beefs up grass dmg to all ur rain mons. Id suggest using tornadus theriam, who fires off powergul hurricanes, can knock off items and regen is amazing for it. Also, why does tran have 8 moves lol
Thanks. I'll give that a shot. And uh... I'll fix the Heatran section.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey Adsiduus nice team. Rain is a really cool play style I've always enjoyed, so it's cool to see you messing around with it. However, I have to say I don't feel the idea of mixing Tapu Bulu and rain was the correct idea. Generally speaking teams with double grass in OU end up lacking; doubling up on grass types usually just ends up with to many holes for a team. Tapu Bulu also sets Grassy Terrain weakening Swampert's EQ, which can be annoying having to stall out your own terrain. Heatran is another oddity on rain, as you end up weakening your fire (which you mentioned earlier). Even trying to lure mons like Tapu Fini with Z-Solar Beam doesn't really make it worth running Heatran on rain imo. So for this rate I'm going to keep the core 4 rain mons (Peli, Kingdra, M-Pert, and Ferro) while suggesting some other options for those final 2 spots (one common, and another a bit less common as you mentioned trying something a bit different).

Small Changes:

Before we get into 2 fillers I feel like there are a few things I'd like to address with the "core 4" first.

As you'll see through this rate, and I'll touch on it more later, Rain tends to be more of an HO style of team. With this in mind rain usually wants to hazard stack to apply even more pressure (yes your Peli has Defog, but that's more for an emergency where you dislike hazard pressure more than the opposition). With that in mind I want to make a few set tweaks to Swampert and Ferrothorn in order to help your team win the hazard war.

On Pert I want to suggest Waterfall / Earthquake / Ice Punch / Stealth Rock. Dual stab and Ice Punch for coverage, and then Stealth Rock which Swampert can usually get up pretty comfortably on the switches it forces due to its tremendous power. Basically this change alleviates some pressure on Ferro as the priority of setting up rocks is now no longer on its shoulders

Next is Ferrothorn. Now that Swampert Has Stealth Rock you're free to try out Spikes. Spikes gives you another hazard, which means you can chip your opponent down faster so that they're easier to sweep late game. This is a big step in that hyper offensive style I mentioned as you're now stacking hazards increasing pressure on every switch they make leading to a fast paced game that strongly favors rain most of the time.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Option 1:

The first option is Tapu Koko + Hawlucha. This is the most standard filler pair along with the "core 4" of rain. Tapu Koko gives the team a solid way of dealing with bulky waters like Tapu Fini and Mantine who can be troubling to rain. Also with Z-Thunder Tapu Koko has a strong nuke to help get past more bulky walls. Then Hawlucha gives the team another way to win a late game, since it handles things like bulky grasses and just relies on the rain portion of the team eliminating mons such as Landorus-T who are problematic for it. This filler pair is more offensive, but it's in my opinion the best option for the team. I know you mentioned adding Bulu for a bit of defensive help, but rain just tends to end up working best as offensive as possible - so best not to fight it.

Also a quick note that the Hawlucha EVs maximize attack, allow +2 Lucha to out speed Jolly Excadrill in sand, and remain as bulky as possible while doing so.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Option 2:

The next option I had was Tornadus-Therian over Hawlucha. Tapu Koko fills the same role as before. However, Torn-T gives the team a different look. Torn-T similarly deals with fat grass types. Instead of giving the team another way to clean late game Torn-T provides the team with a Regenerator mon that can come in and out giving the team a bit more flexibility defensively, which may be something you're interested in based on your earlier comments of wanting some sort of defensive backbone on rain.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Conclusion:

Hopefully these options, as well as the adjustments on winning the hazard war can work for you. Just remember rain is a style that truly lends itself towards offense, and you should be fine. If you have any questions or concerns with the team let me know, and have fun with the team!

Last edited:
Hey Adsiduus nice team. Rain is a really cool play style I've always enjoyed, so it's cool to see you messing around with it. However, I have to say I don't feel the idea of mixing Tapu Bulu and rain was the correct idea. Generally speaking teams with double grass in OU end up lacking; doubling up on grass types usually just ends up with to many holes for a team. Tapu Bulu also sets Grassy Terrain weakening Swampert's EQ, which can be annoying having to stall out your own terrain. Heatran is another oddity on rain, as you end up weakening your fire (which you mentioned earlier). Even trying to lure mons like Tapu Fini with Z-Solar Beam doesn't really make it worth running Heatran on rain imo. So for this rate I'm going to keep the core 4 rain mons (Peli, Kingdra, M-Pert, and Ferro) while suggesting some other options for those final 2 spots (one common, and another a bit less common as you mentioned trying something a bit different).

Small Changes:

Before we get into 2 fillers I feel like there are a few things I'd like to address with the "core 4" first.

As you'll see through this rate, and I'll touch on it more later, Rain tends to be more of an HO style of team. With this in mind rain usually wants to hazard stack to apply even more pressure (yes your Peli has Defog, but that's more for an emergency where you dislike hazard pressure more than the opposition). With that in mind I want to make a few set tweaks to Swampert and Ferrothorn in order to help your team win the hazard war.

On Pert I want to suggest Waterfall / Earthquake / Ice Punch / Stealth Rock. Dual stab and Ice Punch for coverage, and then Stealth Rock which Swampert can usually get up pretty comfortably on the switches it forces due to its tremendous power. Basically this change alleviates some pressure on Ferro as the priority of setting up rocks is now no longer on its shoulders

Next is Ferrothorn. Now that Swampert Has Stealth Rock you're free to try out Spikes. Spikes gives you another hazard, which means you can chip your opponent down faster so that they're easier to sweep late game. This is a big step in that hyper offensive style I mentioned as you're now stacking hazards increasing pressure on every switch they make leading to a fast paced game that strongly favors rain most of the time.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Option 1:

The first option is Tapu Koko + Hawlucha. This is the most standard filler pair along with the "core 4" of rain. Tapu Koko gives the team a solid way of dealing with bulky waters like Tapu Fini and Mantine who can be troubling to rain. Also with Z-Thunder Tapu Koko has a strong nuke to help get past more bulky walls. Then Hawlucha gives the team another way to win a late game, since it handles things like bulky grasses and just relies on the rain portion of the team eliminating mons such as Landorus-T who are problematic for it. This filler pair is more offensive, but it's in my opinion the best option for the team. I know you mentioned adding Bulu for a bit of defensive help, but rain just tends to end up working best as offensive as possible - so best not to fight it.

Also a quick note that the Hawlucha EVs maximize attack, allow +2 Lucha to out speed Jolly Excadrill in sand, and remain as bulky as possible while doing so.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Option 2:

The next option I had was Tornadus-Therian over Hawlucha. Tapu Koko fills the same role as before. However, Torn-T gives the team a different look. Torn-T similarly deals with fat grass types. Instead of giving the team another way to clean late game Torn-T provides the team with a Regenerator mon that can come in and out giving the team a bit more flexibility defensively, which may be something you're interested in based on your earlier comments of wanting some sort of defensive backbone on rain.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Conclusion:

Hopefully these options, as well as the adjustments on winning the hazard war can work for you. Just remember rain is a style that truly lends itself towards offense, and you should be fine. If you have any questions or concerns with the team let me know, and have fun with the team!
Wow awesome. I'll give your suggestions a shot when i get the chance. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it

Just a couple of other suggestions. If you go with Torn-T, I recommend the Assault Vest set with Timid 248 HP/ 8 SpD/ 252 Spe. It's job is to pivot and absorb damage that you don't want your sweepers taking and hitting grass types, not wall break. I've also been experimenting with a rain team where I've replaced Kingdra with Specs Ash-Greninja. Rain makes transforming much easier and after you transform, nothing that isn't immune to water likes switching in to rain boosted specs Hydro pump. If Torn knocks Chansey's Eviolite off, then Ash-ninja 2HKOs Chansey (61.8 - 72.9%). It also has 74.2% to 2HKO after stealth rock even if Chansey still has eviolite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)