Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Okay, so the drives are comparitively pretty darn big then for a 4'11" cannon-toting prehistoric Bug Pokemon. How many gigabytes does it take to tell the cannon, "Okay, shoot fire/water/ice/electricity now" Team Plasma? The drives are probably 85-90% full of Ghetsis' egotistical manifesto or some-such...
The drives are only nine inches long (guessing by measurement of the image of genesect on veekun), and seem somewhat square. By comparison, my 500 GB external hard drive is 6.5" long and 6.5" wide. That makes Genesect's drive about 1 TB. 1 TB is probably too much space for anyone's egotistical manifesto.

I'd guess that the drive contains all the data needed to operate the entire Genesect, and all its memories, just that switching the drive gives its cannon a new function, while still operating the entire Genesect and holding its memories.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What really hit me by surprise the most in Pokémon, was the Underground Tunnel running East-West under Saffron in G/S/C.

The tunnel is stated to be closed, because of mysterious trainers holding battles there. Given the huge level gap between Kanto Gym Leaders and Red (a good 20 levels, if memory serves me correctly), I thought these trainers had to be bridging that gap somehow. Besides, there were no good grinding spots in G/S/C, the highest levelled repeatedly rebattle-able trainers were the Elite Four, whose Pokémon were always stuck in the forties. Once your Pokémon grew past level 60, progress was really, really slow. There were no good places to train. Or, well, you could battle Red, whose Pokémon were around level 75. So naturally, there would have to be rebattle-able trainers in the Underground Tunnel.

I tried for weeks to get into that tunnel. I didn't have reliable Internet access myself until Gen. IV or so, this was the time when game mysteries were unveiled by trial and error, or occasionally asking friends for clues. None of us ever figured out how to get into that tunnel. It was the lone, unconquerable mystery of G/S/C, besides the Safari Zone, which we eventually figured out was closed for good. The signs said as much, there were no hints as to it ever opening again, and it didn't show up as a location in the Pokédex. We conquered the other mysteries, though. We found the Berserk Gene (and discovered it was pretty pointless). We managed to find both Lugia AND Ho-oh in the same game. We got the Rainbow Wing from Eusine after capturing Suicune, Entei and Raikou. We found the secret areas north of the Lake of Rage. We got the Magnet Train running. But the mystery of the Tunnel remained.

I was genuinely surprised to learn the truth about the Underground Tunnel later on, when I managed to find it on Google. There was nothing there. Nada. The location wasn't programmed into the game. There were no scripts for trainers or battles down there. The Tunnel, literally, didn't exist in-game. Still, GameFreak had made that stupid flyer, promising battles. There was a gap in the level curve. GameFreak had left a hole in the game. I was surprised, and sad. I still wonder if it would have been for the better if I never found out.

In a similar fashion, a few aspects of XY also surprised me, such as the mysterious message in Lumiose Station (going nowhere), the entrances to the different power plants on Route 13 (all locked, neither location unlockable), the railroad in Couriway (the station remains unused), and even the clock on Valerie's gym in Laverre City (inexplicably, it has 13 digits instead of 12). I have high hopes for the ghost girl in Lumiose, though. That mystery has to be solved one day.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What really hit me by surprise the most in Pokémon, was the Underground Tunnel running East-West under Saffron in G/S/C.

The tunnel is stated to be closed, because of mysterious trainers holding battles there. Given the huge level gap between Kanto Gym Leaders and Red (a good 20 levels, if memory serves me correctly), I thought these trainers had to be bridging that gap somehow. Besides, there were no good grinding spots in G/S/C, the highest levelled repeatedly rebattle-able trainers were the Elite Four, whose Pokémon were always stuck in the forties. Once your Pokémon grew past level 60, progress was really, really slow. There were no good places to train. Or, well, you could battle Red, whose Pokémon were around level 75. So naturally, there would have to be rebattle-able trainers in the Underground Tunnel.

I tried for weeks to get into that tunnel. I didn't have reliable Internet access myself until Gen. IV or so, this was the time when game mysteries were unveiled by trial and error, or occasionally asking friends for clues. None of us ever figured out how to get into that tunnel. It was the lone, unconquerable mystery of G/S/C, besides the Safari Zone, which we eventually figured out was closed for good. The signs said as much, there were no hints as to it ever opening again, and it didn't show up as a location in the Pokédex. We conquered the other mysteries, though. We found the Berserk Gene (and discovered it was pretty pointless). We managed to find both Lugia AND Ho-oh in the same game. We got the Rainbow Wing from Eusine after capturing Suicune, Entei and Raikou. We found the secret areas north of the Lake of Rage. We got the Magnet Train running. But the mystery of the Tunnel remained.

I was genuinely surprised to learn the truth about the Underground Tunnel later on, when I managed to find it on Google. There was nothing there. Nada. The location wasn't programmed into the game. There were no scripts for trainers or battles down there. The Tunnel, literally, didn't exist in-game. Still, GameFreak had made that stupid flyer, promising battles. There was a gap in the level curve. GameFreak had left a hole in the game. I was surprised, and sad. I still wonder if it would have been for the better if I never found out.

In a similar fashion, a few aspects of XY also surprised me, such as the mysterious message in Lumiose Station (going nowhere), the entrances to the different power plants on Route 13 (all locked, neither location unlockable), the railroad in Couriway (the station remains unused), and even the clock on Valerie's gym in Laverre City (inexplicably, it has 13 digits instead of 12). I have high hopes for the ghost girl in Lumiose, though. That mystery has to be solved one day.
The 13 digit clock is a reference to the "13 'o clock" concept (look it up on Wikipedia). That or Kingdom Hearts crossover confirmed.
Did the people who hacked X and Y ever say if the power plant doors had anything behind them?

Metronome was a TM in R/B/Y, and a fair number of Pokemon could learn it(Primeape and Snorlax probably being my favorites). Please bring it back, Game Freak.

On a deeper level, it's always surprised me how Pokemon games seem to take this sort of random approach to Pokemon dying. I mean, 3 different generations have towers dedicated to Pokemon who have passed away, with no real explanation about it at all. Apparently your Pokemon can take an indefinite amount of punishment and simply pass out until you take it to recover, and technically live forever(or as long as your save does), but apparently no one else is safe from losing their companions.

And finally: Giratina's Distortion World. That place was seriously amazing. And I pray for a 3D remake of it.

On a deeper level, it's always surprised me how Pokemon games seem to take this sort of random approach to Pokemon dying. I mean, 3 different generations have towers dedicated to Pokemon who have passed away, with no real explanation about it at all.
Gen I Kanto (and the Gen III remake), the Sevii Islands, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova all have cemetary towers for Pokémon. Gen II Kanto (same for the remakes of Gold and Silver) have the House of Memories and Kalos has Route 10, which is just one big cemetary.
That actually never surprised me, mainly cause I know that everything dies and it just made sense that it's there. Though it is interesting that Game Freak put something so heavy into a game that is, in the end, aimed at children (especially the original games). The theory that Red killed Blue's Raticate on the S.S. Anne (and he was at the Pokémon Tower, paying his respect to his fallen partner) did blow my mind.

The fact that Phanpy had Water Gun as an egg move but not just for one generation, literally only for one game (Crystal). I think it was rather clever that GameFreak had given it Water Gun since Phanpy/Donphan are based on elephants. I wish they had kept it.

The fact that Phanpy had Water Gun as an egg move but not just for one generation, literally only for one game (Crystal). I think it was rather clever that GameFreak had given it Water Gun since Phanpy/Donphan are based on elephants. I wish they had kept it.
I guess maybe they thought an egg move with zero competitive value was a waste of cartridge space since no-one would ever even know it was there or find it useful. Little Easter eggs like that would probably be the first things to go if memory limitations get tight.

Gen I Kanto (and the Gen III remake), the Sevii Islands, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova all have cemetary towers for Pokémon. Gen II Kanto (same for the remakes of Gold and Silver) have the House of Memories and Kalos has Route 10, which is just one big cemetary.
That actually never surprised me, mainly cause I know that everything dies and it just made sense that it's there. Though it is interesting that Game Freak put something so heavy into a game that is, in the end, aimed at children (especially the original games). The theory that Red killed Blue's Raticate on the S.S. Anne (and he was at the Pokémon Tower, paying his respect to his fallen partner) did blow my mind.
Ohh, so that would explain how Joey's ratata is in the top percentage of ratatas, since Blue's is dead.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
And finally: Giratina's Distortion World. That place was seriously amazing. And I pray for a 3D remake of it.
Lol they could remake the Distortion World into some sort of Captain Toad game, having players turn the camera with the gyro on the 3DS etc..

Also I always thought that the whole thing with death is that even though Pokemon are fighting eachother, it is just for fun, and as such that Pokemon show a certain level of restraint in fighting so that they only knock out the opposing Pokemon to win. But if a Pokemon gets out of hand and infuriated, they can "unleash their rage" as Hugh would put it and actually kill Pokemon in battles by getting rid of the restraint.

Lol they could remake the Distortion World into some sort of Captain Toad game, having players turn the camera with the gyro on the 3DS etc..

Also I always thought that the whole thing with death is that even though Pokemon are fighting eachother, it is just for fun, and as such that Pokemon show a certain level of restraint in fighting so that they only knock out the opposing Pokemon to win. But if a Pokemon gets out of hand and infuriated, they can "unleash their rage" as Hugh would put it and actually kill Pokemon in battles by getting rid of the restraint.
So...shadow Pokémon, basically.

I guess maybe they thought an egg move with zero competitive value was a waste of cartridge space since no-one would ever even know it was there or find it useful. Little Easter eggs like that would probably be the first things to go if memory limitations get tight.
I suppose so but I can't see it being much of a memory sponge now. Oh well. Speaking of Easter egg/tongue-in-cheek moves, Tyrunt/Tyrantrum, the prince/king dinosaur Pokemon, have Charm in their level up moovepool. Gamefreak is so clever sometimes. But then they go ahead and put Horn Drill in Tyrunt/Tyrantrum's level up movepool which makes no sense since neither have anything even resembling a horn. Guillotine (the king sentences you to death!) or Fissure would have be much more fitting...

Togepi and Eevee's 12.5 gender ratio (Basically the 12.5% in its entirety).
Bugsy being male.
The pokemon that were changed to fairy type (although it made sense since they were from the fairy egg group I don't understand why the others in the egg group weren't given the typing). Although an exception is Celebi which looks more fairy than azumarill to me.

Felicette: BW having entirely new Pokemon would have carried more weight if not for the fact that so many of them were clones of old-gen Pokemon. Gigalith = Golem. Whimsicott = Jumpluff. Audino = Blissey. Etc etc etc. Personally I feel that BW is pretty much diametrically opposed to RBY - BW is the most story-driven game of the series (coming at the expense of the Unova map being a glorified corridor), and RBY is the most exploration-driven (with no story outside of "get badges, beat Team Rocket, become the champion"). That is not to say that one is necessarily better than the other.

I feel like I missed something with BW, I wasn't all that impressed by the storyline at all. It was a change, but not an excellent one in my opinion. Admittedly, I'm way more into the 'mons than the humans. As long as I can beat people up with my cute magical animals, I'm not looking twice at any humans.

At the very least, I can't understand why Gen 5 fans bash Gen 6 so hard for lacking in plot.

Plot-wise, I still appreciate RBY's the most. Could be nostalgia, but things like Giovanni being the last Gym leader and your rival turning out to be the Champion, and then Lavender Town with the ghost of Marowak, was all so magical to me. It's still the most impressive to me in terms of plot. I mean, I don't even remember the names of the villains in the other games anymore but I can never forget Team Rocket.

I feel like I missed something with BW, I wasn't all that impressed by the storyline at all. It was a change, but not an excellent one in my opinion. Admittedly, I'm way more into the 'mons than the humans. As long as I can beat people up with my cute magical animals, I'm not looking twice at any humans.

At the very least, I can't understand why Gen 5 fans bash Gen 6 so hard for lacking in plot.

Plot-wise, I still appreciate RBY's the most. Could be nostalgia, but things like Giovanni being the last Gym leader and your rival turning out to be the Champion, and then Lavender Town with the ghost of Marowak, was all so magical to me. It's still the most impressive to me in terms of plot. I mean, I don't even remember the names of the villains in the other games anymore but I can never forget Team Rocket.
I only remember the name for the leader of team magma, Maxie, because I always thought "what Maxie pad?"

I found that too, on my first playthrough. I found myself mashing the A button during cutscenes because my expectation was that they wouldn't be saying anything interesting (based on experience of previous games). But I heard such great things about the story that I went back and played through again, paying attention this time. It really does flip a lot of the established Pokemon plot points right around. For example, Hugh's father is terrified that his not-yet-grown-up son is walking the streets and sleeping rough. When did the playable character's mum ever give a shit about her kid's safety?

Play through it and see how many of those you can spot. It'll probably reach double figures.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Elemental fangs being able to inflict both secondary effects. My Torterra survived an Ice Fang and I was surprised that it survived, and relieved that it thawed out instantly, then the message "Torterra flinched!" came up.
Assuming I did my math right, the chances of that happening are 0.1%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)