Things in Pokémon which really hit you by surprise

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That little dot on Celesteela's right arm, just above Solgaleo's head, is Cosmoem. It weighs the same as Celesteela. Pokémon densities really are all over the place.

Dhelmise's size really surprised me too. In the chart this picture is cut from, it appears to be a little over one meter tall. I'd guess the chart's creator read or thought "3 foot 9", which seems a fitting size for Dhelmise. It's an anchor, anchors aren't that big...

However, Dhelmise is 3.9 meters tall. Not quite Celesteela-size, but it's taller than Xurkitree. Taller than most one-storey residential houses. The span of its anchor is wider than most road lanes. From handle-tip to handle-tip, its wheel is almost three meters in diameter. Not only is Dhelmise large, I think it's one of the biggest Pokémon in comparison to how big it "feels" when you see it in artwork. It would make sense for it to be roughly one meter tall, not four.

However you're right about the wheel part of it though. That wheel would be abnormally large.

cosmoem is probably supposed to resemble a neutron star, which actually places its density at far less than what one should expect (although why a neutron star would evolve into the incarnation of a sun, or even more egregiously a moon, is any stargazer's guess)
Pfft, and we thought the Ultra Beasts were the danger.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I finally got a copy of Pokémon Moon, and I decided to play through it with a Ledyba on my in-game team, because Ledyba is cute. I didn't expect much from it, but I figured I'd keep it anyway.

It... actually pulls its weight surprisingly well. Even though it can't hit neutral targets for more than about 20% with Silver Wind, it makes a great supporter with Reflect and Light Screen. Physical Pokémon are usually slower, and special Pokémon can rarely OHKO it even with super effective moves because of its great Special Defense. Besides the most weakened of Pokémon, it can't KO anything on its own, but it's very helpful in allowing my other Pokémon to live through hits that would otherwise beat them.

When the Sun and Moon full-game leaks came out and I found out that Pikipek (a woodpecker) evolved into Toucannon (a toucan). How the hell does that work again? I can see the weapon connotations going from Remoraid to Octillery (I think it was handgun to turret IIRC), but not with this.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
When the Sun and Moon full-game leaks came out and I found out that Pikipek (a woodpecker) evolved into Toucannon (a toucan). How the hell does that work again? I can see the weapon connotations going from Remoraid to Octillery (I think it was handgun to turret IIRC), but not with this.
Bird with big beak evolves into a bird with a bigger beak. No more strange than letting a seagull evolve into a pelican, if you ask me.

Several things have surprised me in Pokemon throughout the years.

First in X/Y, when I played through the Looker Missions and learned that Malva was a member of Team Flare. While there were a few very vague hints about this in her dialogue during the first E4 battle with her, I didn't expect this at all.

Then a few things from S/M, putting them in a spoiler since this is outside of the S/M subforum.
I was surprised when it was revealed that Lusamine was the mother of Lillie and Gladion, didn't catch on the hints for that at all.

Then I was surprised at Acerola and Kahili being members of the Elite Four instead of Nanu and Hapu. I thought it would just be the four Kahunas, so it was a very big surprise when I found that it was two of the Kahunas and two others. Especially since I was fighting them in order, so when I got to Acerola, I wondered what the heck was going on.

The last thing that surprised me from S/M for now is the fact that Anabel is a member of the international police and Looker's boss. That really took me by surprise, I knew she would reappear in the games, but not in this way. I haven't completed the Ultra Beast quest yet so I don't know her full story yet, but her initial appearance definitely surprised me.

There's more but those four things are what I could think of for now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hyper Potions now only heal 120 HP instead of 200 HP. I'm always surprised by that.
Just them changing how much potions and drinks heal in general was a surprise. It looks like they tried balancing it out so the amount healed matches how much you paid for it and still making sure Drinks were slightly better:

Potion - 20 HP -
Fresh Water - 30 HP -
Soda Pop - 50 HP -
Super Potion - 60 HP -
Lemonade - 70 HP -
Moomoo Milk - 100 HP -
Hyper Potion - 120 HP -

The most notable change I'd say is that Fresh Water is no longer on the level of Super Potion, now its slightly better than a normal Potion. And though outside of battle you'd probably use Drinks to heal your party, in battle every single HP counts so Hyper Potion still has its use (in addition, since potions are only used during the main game, how many Pokemon would have HP well above 200 by the end game? Not many, so the Hyper Potion downgrade still makes it useful but also makes Max Potions look better for certain Pokemon). Though I would say if they wanted to make it more balance make Super Potions heal 80 and Hyper Potions heal 150, since Lemonade is still a better deal than Super Potions and I don't feel Hyper Potions price matches how much it heals.

At least potions fared better than medicine did this gen. :P

Just them changing how much potions and drinks heal in general was a surprise. It looks like they tried balancing it out so the amount healed matches how much you paid for it and still making sure Drinks were slightly better:

Potion - 20 HP -
Fresh Water - 30 HP -
Soda Pop - 50 HP -
Super Potion - 60 HP -
Lemonade - 70 HP -
Moomoo Milk - 100 HP -
Hyper Potion - 120 HP -

The most notable change I'd say is that Fresh Water is no longer on the level of Super Potion, now its slightly better than a normal Potion. And though outside of battle you'd probably use Drinks to heal your party, in battle every single HP counts so Hyper Potion still has its use (in addition, since potions are only used during the main game, how many Pokemon would have HP well above 200 by the end game? Not many, so the Hyper Potion downgrade still makes it useful but also makes Max Potions look better for certain Pokemon). Though I would say if they wanted to make it more balance make Super Potions heal 80 and Hyper Potions heal 150, since Lemonade is still a better deal than Super Potions and I don't feel Hyper Potions price matches how much it heals.

At least potions fared better than medicine did this gen. :P
Eh, I'm not entirely convinced. Max Potion to me still feels completely unnecessary next to Full Restore, since by the time the nerfed Hyper Potion is no longer really cutting it I have access to Full Restore. (and money generally isn't a problem as you can do the dex side-quests and the daily chuck Pyukumuku back into the sea by this point if needed) Even my Hariyama rarely felt like Hyper Potion just wasn't healing enough before Full Restore was available. (and I can't remember if Max Potion becomes available for purchase any earlier than Full Restore)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So I fired up X because I was getting some egg moves ready for SM, I load my save and see the mystery gift lady and save before talking to her.

She gave me a fucking SHAYMIN.

I don't even remember when I last played X when did I even download it. At least it really helps me with Natdex completions.
Same thing for me except I forgot to redeem my Keldeo, Genesect, Volcanion, and Meloetta in my Y version and a Genesect and Meloetta in my Alpha Sapphire version.

However, Dhelmise is 3.9 meters tall. Not quite Celesteela-size, but it's taller than Xurkitree. Taller than most one-storey residential houses. The span of its anchor is wider than most road lanes. From handle-tip to handle-tip, its wheel is almost three meters in diameter. Not only is Dhelmise large, I think it's one of the biggest Pokémon in comparison to how big it "feels" when you see it in artwork. It would make sense for it to be roughly one meter tall, not four.
This is the most surprising thing I've learned today. Never really looked into Dhelmise's size. It's a damn big anchor.

Also, that almost every Gen VII Pokémon gets a signature move or ability or even both. Not just legendaries, but also common stuff. And they even gave Heatmor a signature move. Not that i mind, just... unexpected.

It's been six generations for this Pokemon, and the stars have been aligned for this one Pokemon through all sorts of things - appearance, typing, species name and Pokedex entries...yet, Ampharos still doesn't get Tail Glow as a move.

What's worse, Xurkitree of all things does, which is basically the same Pokemon as Ampharos in terms of species. Both are known for producing large amounts of light, yet Ampharos is denied the move. Fun.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It's been six generations for this Pokemon, and the stars have been aligned for this one Pokemon through all sorts of things - appearance, typing, species name and Pokedex entries...yet, Ampharos still doesn't get Tail Glow as a move.

What's worse, Xurkitree of all things does, which is basically the same Pokemon as Ampharos in terms of species. Both are known for producing large amounts of light, yet Ampharos is denied the move. Fun.
At least Ampharos has a Mega...

The sizes of some Pokemon surprise me. Salamence, made out to be a mighty dragon, is a measly 4'11". Do you know what else is 4'11"? Dunsparce.
There's also Nidoking, the intimidating rhino/rabbit/dino/whatever-it-is that is only 1.4m tall, which is the same as Lucario.

The powerful Excadrill is even shorter... having half of Nidoking's height.

(Although this is why I think there should be multiple measures in the Pokedex. Sometimes you don't know how Height is being measured. Is it length? Is it snout-to-tail? Is it head-to-feet? Is it with the Pokemon standing up -see Kommo-o's hunched walk-?)

Last edited:
I'm bored, picking my Moon that has been left for quite long. I have this Ash's Pikachu and thought to teach it Volt Tackle to see Pikachu's own Z-Move since I have no other Pikachu lying about.

Turns out it can't use the Z-Crystal even after its taught that. *facepalm*

This is probably because apparently Ash's Pikachu is coded differently as separate entity to other Pikachu. I see it has different cries, it is more "talkative" than standard Pikachu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)