Tournament group in the New Jersey area

Hi there everyone, I want to create a group for people in the New Jersey area to get together every month (the goal) and have Tournaments.

I first thought of creating a meetup group, but with no real indication of how many competetive pokemon fans even use that site, I didn't want to pay for a group just yet. So I figured I would post it here and this seems to be the most appropriate section.

I'd like to set it up to have Multiple tournaments that can be played, perhaps to start off there could be both 5th and 4th gen tournaments, or 5th gen OU and UU or ubers. I would love for anyone in or around New Jersey who would like to be a part of a group like this to give me some feed back.

Again, at the moment there are no dates or places, but I am completely open to have it anywhere in NJ (I live pretty much dead center) or maybe even just across the border in PA. I would also perhaps be willing to do it in NYC as well if that is where I get most of the demand from, but I would need some help figuring out a location to hold it because I know very little about the city.

Sounds cool. Count me in if it gets going.

I don't have any strong preference for location, so long as it's somewhere I can get to with NJ transit, which is probably most of the places you'd be considering. It might be a good idea to try and hold it at one of the universities, since those are generally pretty easy to get to, would have facilities where you could hold the meetup on the cheap/free, and you'd probably be able to recruit a few people from the student body, even if they don't come to Smogon, provided you did some actual advertising there.

Having a lot of different tournaments would be fun and most likely the ideal, but it's probably a little ambitious to start off with. Better to get one tournament, in one format, actually running well, than to try and coordinate a bunch of different ones right from the get-go. You can certainly expand from there if you have enough participation.

yeah i've been looking into doing it at a university, I have my friend who goes to morris county checking into it there and even one of my friends who goes to Rutgers(though that's a really long shot) Yeah more then likely it would start off with 5th gen OU with free play between rounds or something along those lines. Depending on if, where and when it could be hosted, there may be access to tvs so a possible link up with a wii version colliseum game(if one is ever released)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)