SM LC Traps and Trickery

Introduction

For a while now, I've been looking to write a new RMT. I've tried all sort of teams, some Alolan Sandshrew teams, some DarkSpam cores, some just standard teams. But when I made my team to battle Poek with in LCPL, I found this is one of my best and most fun teams that most certainly deserves an RMT. I feel this team is a good example of how less viable Pokemon and sets can work very well together. It also uses many pivots making it a good example of a pivoting core as well. So, without further adieu, please enjoy my RMT! :)

Also here's my replay vs. Poek for reference: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-585569817

Teambuilding Process

So to understand why I started with Snivy, I would like to take a page out of OP's book and post my scouting report on Poek. Please note I change around the order to show similar Pokemon.

So I decided to use Snivy to punish Poek's overuse of Offensive Water-types and Ground-types. This Snivy originally had Hidden Power Fire to hit Ferroseed, Pawniard, Pumpkaboo-XL, and Foongus, but as you will soon see, this was removed in favor of Hidden power Ice to hit Flying- and Grass-types, mainly Vullaby and Foongus.

So since I noticed that Ferroseed and Pawnaird are big problems for Snivy, even with Hidden Power Fire, and Poek seems to bring one of the two, so I decided to try out Magnet Pull Magnemite. Alice Kazumi originally supplied a standard XY set, but ItzViper482 gave the winning idea to use a set with Gigavolt Havoc and Hidden power Fire to OHKO Pawniard with the former and 2HKO a full HP Ferroseed with the latter. From what Viper told me, Dundies originally made this set, but someone said tezy made it, so i don't know who originally made this, but its a pretty good set if Ferroseed and Pawnaird are issues.

Snivy + Trapper Magnemite is a core without many issues, but many faster Pokemon, mainly Ponyta, Gastly, and Abra. Munchlax is able to beat the latter two, and has a decent matchup against the former.

After adding Munchlax, a clear Fighting-type weakness emerged. As well, I thought a cleric was necessary due to my remaining Ponyta weakness. Since Spritzee isn't too aggressive, Snubbull fit better on my team. Also, Intimidate helps me have a last minute stop to physical sweepers, Shellder and Tirtouga in particular.

Onix was added for two main reasons: check Flying-types and set up Stealth Rock. Since Kabuto also does this and more, and Kabuto eventually made it onto the team, I'll just stop there.

Ponyta provided me a fast Pokemon and secondary Fighting-type check, however it was eventually removed in favor of Larvesta to grant me a better Fighting-check and a pivot to help Magnemite.

This change was recomended by Merritt due to my previous sill large weakness to Fighting-types. This change patched that up a bit as well as giving me hazards and a second Choice Scarf bluff, something that was pretty useful in my game against Poek. Kabuto also carries Knock Off which helps a lot to weaken Kabuto's common switch-ins (Fighting-types) and Larvesta can help pivot alongside Magnemite. But the most important thing about Kabuto is Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin allows me to bluff SturdyJuice Magnemite if necessary and is required when using Larvesta.

Contrary
Timid Nature
240 SpA / 252 Spe
Leaf Storm | Glare | Synthesis | Hidden Power Ice
This is basically standard XY Snivy. Eviolite Snivy has slowly been falling to the hands of Berry Juice Snivy, but I prefer the bulk on this team as its a more bulky offensive build. This is basically standard Eviolite Snivy with Leaf Storm to boost and just generally be very powerful, Glare to cripple opponents, Synthesis to heal, and Hidden Power Ice to give Snivy powerful coverage, and its EVs and nature max out it Speed and Special Attack. Snivy is a great sweeper, and my main check to Ground-type Pokemon, mainly Mudbray and Onix. It can also function as a bit of a pivot, switching in to force opponents out and recovering with Synthesis when necessary. Glare also helps cripple faster opponents, which is important because my revenge killer has 17 Speed and is Snivy. Here are a few calcs:
Mienfoo
+2 240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 25-30 (119 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Snivy: 15-18 (71.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Mienfoo U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Snivy: 10-14 (47.6 - 66.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Vullaby
(Stealth rock does 6 damage)
240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 116 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 4-6 (16 - 24%) -- 85.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
(4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6)
+2 240 SpA Snivy Hidden Power Ice vs. 116 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(12, 12, 12, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 16)
240 SpA Snivy Leaf Storm vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 5-6 (20 - 24%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
(5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)
240 SpA Snivy Hidden Power Ice vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 8-10 (32 - 40%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 10)
236+ SpA Vullaby Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Snivy: 14-20 (66.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
76 HP / 116 Def / 240 SpA / 76 SpD
Thunderbolt | Volt Switch | Hidden Power Fire | Flash Cannon
This is a really fun mon to use. As I said before, I have no idea who this set originated with, but it is very fun to use. This switches into a Knock Off, lives a Sucker Punch, and OHKO's Pawniard with Gigavolt Havoc. It also 2HKOes Ferroseed and has a chance to OHKO SturdyJuice Magnemite with Hidden Power Fire, so all common Steel-types bar our lord and savior Alolan Sandshrew are covered by this set. It also still has a lot of utility if your opponent lacks a Steel-type, for example Gigavolt Havoc has a 75% chance to OHKO Alolan Grimer after Stealth Rock and it always OHKOes Mienfoo on switch in. It also acts as a check to a few non-Steel-type Pokemon, Carvanha, Shellder, Corphish, Cottonee, Spritzee, and Mareanie to name a few. It accomplishes this with its bulk and Special Attack investment. Thunderbolt/Gigavolt Havoc and Flash Cannon are its main STAB options, Volt Switch allows it to function as a good pivot, and Hidden power Fire allows Magnemite to deal with Steel-types. It is notable that Magnemite will sometimes need to sacrifice itself if your opponent has Diglett, but this is worth it if you are able to take out Pawniard or another threat beforehand. If your opponent lacks a Pawniard, it is pretty good to use Gigavolt Havoc liberally, for example in my replay vs. Poek I felt free to use Gigavolt Havoc to try and take down a Spritzee despite the fact that Poek could still switch Spritzee out. Again, here are some calcs:
Steel-types
240+ SpA Magnemite Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 21-25 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
156 Atk Pawniard Knock Off vs. 76 HP / 116 Def Magnemite: 7-10 (35 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
156 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 76 HP / 116 Def Magnemite: 9-12 (45 - 60%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO
240+ SpA Magnemite Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 16-20 (84.2 - 105.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
240+ SpA Magnemite Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 16-20 (84.2 - 105.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240+ SpA Magnemite Hidden Power Fire vs. 84 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (72.7 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Magnemite Switch ins
240+ SpA Magnemite Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 24-28 (114.2 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240+ SpA Magnemite Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Munchlax: 21-25 (70 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
240+ SpA Magnemite Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Timburr: 18-22 (75 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116 Atk Timburr Mach Punch vs. 76 HP / 116 Def Magnemite: 12-14 (60 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Return | Earthquake | Pursuit | Recycle
So as mentioned above, Munchlax is my check to Abra, Gastly, and (to an extent) Ponyta, but it also is able to check the likes of Chinchou, Foongus, Magnemite, and Staryu. Essentially, Munchlax is the thing of Special Attackers' nightmares. The moves chosen for each Munchlax is pretty important imo, so here is my explanation of each move. First of all, my choice to take Return over Body Slam is purely power based. Earthquake help, me take care of Fire-, Steel-, and Rock-types, and Pursuit is there to hit Ghost-types like Gastly and Pumpkaboo-XL. Finally Recycle lets me stall Spritzee and just continually restore health. The EVs here are pretty standard: maximum Attack and Special Defense and a little extra into Defense. Thick Fat lets little Munchlax easily switch in to Ponyta despite the fact that he doesn't like a burn. to help you better understand this mon, here are some calcs:
Ponyta
76 Atk Ponyta Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Thick Fat Munchlax: 9-12 (30 - 40%) -- 59.8% chance to 3HKO
236+ Atk burned Munchlax Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 7-9 (33.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
236+ Atk Munchlax Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ Atk Munchlax Return vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 10-13 (47.6 - 61.9%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO

Fighting-types
236+ Atk Munchlax Return vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236+ Atk Munchlax Return vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mienfoo on a critical hit: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
236+ Atk Munchlax Return vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 10-13 (41.6 - 54.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO
236+ Atk Munchlax Return vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Scraggy: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO

Intimidate
Impish Nature
36 HP / 116 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Play Rough | Fire Punch | Thief | Heal Bell
This Snubbull is pretty standard all around. Its my main Vullaby and Fighting-type check, and has the added bonus of removing items. Play Rough is Snubbull's main STAB and its chance to drop Attack comes in handy often. Fire Punch hits Foongus and other Grass-types quite hard, and Thief removes items from opponents, which helps a lot with a Snivy sweep. My final move was a bit hard to choose. I could go Bulk Up to apply offensive pressure and have a secondary wincon, or Thunder Wave to cripple opponents, or even Earthquake as a secondary coverage option. Finally, I settled on Heal Bell. Not only does it heal with Ponyta, but it also relieves my Pokemon of all status, paralysis and burn being the most important due to my already slow Pokemon and excess of physical attackers. Its EVs let Snubbull OHKO most Weak Armor Vullaby sets after Stealth Rock and survive a +2 Air Slash fro Vullaby when at full health. The rest of its EVs are put into Defense and Speed to help it better check physical attackers and outspeed slow threats. As noted in the teambuilding process, Intimidate acts as a last minute check to physical sweepers, mainly Shellder and Tirtouga. Calcs:
Fighting-types
36+ Atk Snubbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 14-20 (58.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36+ Atk Snubbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 18-24 (85.7 - 114.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
-1 116+ Atk Timburr Poison Jab vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Snubbull: 10-14 (43.4 - 60.8%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO

Grass-types
36+ Atk Snubbull Fire Punch vs. 84 HP / 108+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (72.7 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
36+ Atk Snubbull Fire Punch vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
36+ Atk Snubbull Fire Punch vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Weak Armor
Careful Nature
116 HP / 36 Atk / 36 Def / 156 SpD / 156 Spe
Rapid Spin | Stealth Rock | Knock Off | Aqua Jet
Kabuto has gained a lot of popularity in SM, and for good reason. Weak Armor and Kabuto's great base Defense allows it to function as a great hazard setter and item/hazard remover. It also lets Kabuto act as a wonderful Flying-type check, something I otherwise lacked (Magnemite is almost always OHKOed by Doduo's Jump Kick and Rufflet's Superpower). As noted above, pretending to be overly reliant on Rapid Spin lets me bluff a Sturdy Magnemite, which in turn lets me surprise OHKO Mienfoo on switch in. Rapid Spin is also essentially for Larvesta, as it takes half its health to merely switch it in. Stealth Rock breaks Sturdy from mainly Onix and helps Snivy sweep.Knock Off cripples opponents and spinblockers. Aqua Jet is very important as I have no other priority and my fastest Pokemon is a 17 Speed Snivy. Its EVs allow Kabuto to outspeed any 19 Speed or below Choice Scarf user and every other +1 19 Speed or below Pokemon. Also, if Kabuto predicts to switch into a Shellder's Razor Shell or Ice Shard, it can oitspeed the opposing Shellder and at least remove its Eviolite. The rest of Kabuto's EVs are invested into its defensive stats to help it survive longer and its Attack to help it deal maximum damage. As with the other Pokemon, here are some calcs:
Shellder and Tirtouga
116+ Atk Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. -1 36 HP / 36+ Def Eviolite Shellder: 7-9 (35 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 236 Atk Shellder Razor Shell vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Kabuto: 12-15 (57.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 212 Atk Tirtouga Stone Edge vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Kabuto: 16-19 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 212 Atk Tirtouga Waterfall vs. 116 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Kabuto: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116+ Atk Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 92 Def Tirtouga: 7-9 (33.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Ghost-types
116+ Atk Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 40 Def Gastly: 24-30 (120 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
116+ Atk Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
116+ Atk Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 204 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Flame Body
Impish Nature
76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Flare Blitz | Morning Sun | U-turn | Will-O-Wisp
Larvesta is actually a pretty good Pokemon. Its a great bulky pivot, being able to deal a lot of damage with STAB U-turn and STAB Flare Blitz, and also being able to easily switch in to many physical attackers. As well, it has a good recovery move in Morning Sun and essentially making all of its Non-Rest carrying physical attackers much worse switch ins. All possible EVs are invested into Larvesta's defensive stats, and the remaining 36 EVs are put into Speed to help Larvesta outspeed slower threats. There's not much to say with this Larvesta, as its just standard, but I can note that bluffing Scarfvesta is a valid option as I lack another Choice Scarf user (bluffed Scarf Magnemite excluded). The final calcs:
Fairy-types
0 Atk Larvesta Flare Blitz vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 9-12 (33.3 - 44.4%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 0 Atk Larvesta Flare Blitz vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Snubbull: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Larvesta Flare Blitz vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Snubbull: 15-18 (65.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
36+ Atk Snubbull Earthquake vs. 76 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Larvesta: 5-7 (21.7 - 30.4%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO

Croagunk
188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Bomb vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Larvesta Flare Blitz vs. 52 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Dry Skin Croagunk: 15-18 (68.1 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Bomb vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Larvesta: 15-18 (65.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other Options

There are a few other options I'll list here in bullet format:
-Snivy can run a Berry Juice set and/or use Substitute but I prefer Eviolite Snivy on this team
-Munchlax can use a RestTalk set to better check Ponyta, but its coverage is important
-Using Body Slam instead of Return can give Munchlax a chance of paralysis but it lacks Return's power
-Snubbull can use Earthquake over Fire Punch to hit Poison- and Fire-types, but i like hitting Foongus on the switch in
-And finally, using the original build with Ponyta and Onix instead of Larvesta and Kabuto but its more weak to Fighting-types and (ironically) Stealth Rock

Threatlist

Ponyta is a pretty big problem for this team, but it can be played around with Munchlax and Heal Bell Snubbull. Try and conserve Munchlax for Ponyta and Heal bell off burns whenever possible.

Bird-spam can overwhelm Kabuto and Magnemite with Jump Kick and Superpower respectively. The best way to beat BirdSpam is to conserve Kabuto, and in emergency situations to sack Larvesta to try for a burn.

Similar to BirdSpam, FightingSpam can overwhelm Snubbull and Larvesta, especially with poison Jab Timburr or Croagunk. This is best played by using Snubbull for Timburr/Mienfoo/Scraggy and use Larvesta for Mienfoo/Croagunk.

Diglett traps Larvesta, Magnemite, and in some cases Kabuto, making it pretty troublesome. However, Snubbull, Munchlax, and Snivy all can switch in on a predicted Diglett safely, or can revenge kill it in the case of the latter. Also, if Diglett is paired with a U-turn or Volt Switch user such as Mienfoo or CHinchou, making aggressive switches to Pokemon not KOed by Diglett is important

Abra, Gastly, or a combination of both can tear through my team if Munchlax is weakened or eliminated. Against these Pokemon, it is very important to conserve Munchlax.

Chinchou can easily Volt Switch around due to my lack of an Electric-immunity. Its best switch ins are Munchlax, and to a lesser extent Snivy.

Similarly to Chinchou, Elekid can Volt Switch quite easily. Additionally it can also Cross Chop Munchlax if using that coverage. In the case of a Cross Chop Elekid, it is best to switch Snivy in and heal it with Synthesis often.

Dwebble, especially the uncommon Shell Smash Dwebble can take down most things on the team. Against Dwebble, it is best to use Munchlax, Snubbull, and Kabuto. In the case of the latter, don't switch Kabuto into Rock Blast.

Snivys
Mambo you've been helping me out with some of my questionable plays and with DPP, so thanks man :)
Merritt thanks for helping me with all my teams, this one included, although you're a bully ;)
Jac ur a cool manager, thanks for playing me vs. Goletts!
Kurukaito you speak French and are cool. I'm subscribed to you :>
ItzViper482 you're a cool guy and helped me when we were still both new in LC, so thanks! Also he proofread this
Quite Quiet you've helped me a lot with TFP and tour stuff, taken all my questions, and have hlped me test DP, so you're p cool
rssp1 you're a cool fellow, can't wait to work more with you on Survivor III
Hilomilo I enjoy talking about analyses and just talking general shit with you, so you're also very cool!
Other cool Snivy's who I couldn't think of a specific s/o for:
Finchinator slurmz tcr sparktrain Oma Altariel von Sweep Alice Kazumi Nozzle Joltage therealslap Pikasohn
Gummysaur you're a cool person to chill with and are p nice, although you don't seem to realize I have the superior tutor.

Other LC People
Speaking of tutors, Coconut has monopolized my top non-Snivy shoutout spot for being my first tutor and my mentor in most of my LC endeavors. Also thanks for responding to those pms last month, it really helped me out.
macle you originally brought me to LC, know it or not, after seeing you chill in mafia and wanting to see the room you were # in.
Quote you're a cool TL and a chill dude, so thanks for all you've done for LC
Yagura I saw you lurking a few days ago, don't think i didn't man.
Jox cool vids bro
OP thanks for helping me out with all my C&C stuff, especially the idea we've been working on.
Corporal Levi same as OP, except ur a weeb
Vubon we should hang out more, as you're really the only person who might remember me as a lurker.
Shrug talking with you is great, just like your jokes. Feel free to vent to me like I said.
Xayah you write analyses, I write analyses, change your name back nerd.
Sken I like you, but Snivy's bout to crush you next week tbh
dsr95 you've always been nice to me, so thanks.
Infamy you're a troll but I love u <3

Other Tiers
Donphantastic and Dominatio are my other 2 tutors and both of you are great. i thank both of you a lot for all you've done for me.
including zf here even though he plays LC, because he's mostly helped me in Ubers, especially when I started. Thanks man :)
Accelgor you're really cool to talk to about UU, and cool in general
Rakan I've only started talking to you recently, but you've been great. :)

Other People
All of you are cool but I couldn't think of a specific s/o:
Nineage TheFenderStory Fiend WaterlessMelon Vileman Dundies Serene's Grace fatty Heysup ggggd Plasmagby Star Rowan Sam-testings tahu tko Fille Zebraiken ZoroDark Kingler12345 SilentMango trash Holiday GOAO TUO Kaori HeaLnDeaL atomicllamas

Importable
Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
Level: 5
EVs: 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnemite @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 76 HP / 116 Def / 240 SpA / 76 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Munchlax @ Berry Juice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Recycle

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 116 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch
- Thief
- Heal Bell

Kabuto @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 36 Atk / 36 Def / 156 SpD / 156 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
I feel like your team is excellent on paper, and pretty hit or miss in practice; your match versus Poek showcases this pretty well, as truthfully you should have won that far easier than you did. I think much of this stems from your choice to utilize general substandard Pokemon such as Munchlax and Larvesta. Granted, on paper, you have the support they need to thrive and don't rely on them too unreasonably. Yet I played a game with the team and simply felt it was far too reactive and anything which can reasonably abuse either, or worse both, of these two Pokemon tend to force you to sack something.

I think one of the largest problems your team has is how freely Gastly and Abra pick up KOs and check your win conditions, and for some reason you have a Munchlax that lacks Pursuit. I would run Pursuit > Fire Punch to alleviate this point of weakness; you have so many damn Fire-type attacks and Larvesta and trapper Magnemite that I don't see a reasonable case for keeping Fire Punch anyway, so I think this is just a flat improvement.

I absolutely hate trapper Magnemite in this meta, though I will say your set makes me want to try it out again. However your EV spread makes it die to Knock Off into Sucker Punch most of the time, and 100% of the time after rocks. This is to say, it loses to Pawniard pretty handily. A spread of 76 HP / 196 Def / 236 SpA keeps the benchmark of OHKOing Pawniard, while switching into its 17 attack variants rather well still. 18 attack pawniard still KOs after sr, but you can still switch in without rocks up. You can possibly consider running only 19 SpA if you are confident on getting 2 damage on Pawniard beforehand, and this allows it to run a Bold nature to more readily check Pawniard.

I think these two changes should create a more solid team, which is really all you can hope for with a slow, bulky team with middling offensive presence. You have other options to explore, such as Eviolite Diglett > Magnemite, or even Diglett > Snivy and then magnemite can be changed to something else, but these changes require so many other edits to the team it really makes it not the same team anymore so I'm refraining from suggesting these.

cheers!

I feel like your team is excellent on paper, and pretty hit or miss in practice; your match versus Poek showcases this pretty well, as truthfully you should have won that far easier than you did. I think much of this stems from your choice to utilize general substandard Pokemon such as Munchlax and Larvesta. Granted, on paper, you have the support they need to thrive and don't rely on them too unreasonably. Yet I played a game with the team and simply felt it was far too reactive and anything which can reasonably abuse either, or worse both, of these two Pokemon tend to force you to sack something.

I think one of the largest problems your team has is how freely Gastly and Abra pick up KOs and check your win conditions, and for some reason you have a Munchlax that lacks Pursuit. I would run Pursuit > Fire Punch to alleviate this point of weakness; you have so many damn Fire-type attacks and Larvesta and trapper Magnemite that I don't see a reasonable case for keeping Fire Punch anyway, so I think this is just a flat improvement.

I absolutely hate trapper Magnemite in this meta, though I will say your set makes me want to try it out again. However your EV spread makes it die to Knock Off into Sucker Punch most of the time, and 100% of the time after rocks. This is to say, it loses to Pawniard pretty handily. A spread of 76 HP / 196 Def / 236 SpA keeps the benchmark of OHKOing Pawniard, while switching into its 17 attack variants rather well still. 18 attack pawniard still KOs after sr, but you can still switch in without rocks up. You can possibly consider running only 19 SpA if you are confident on getting 2 damage on Pawniard beforehand, and this allows it to run a Bold nature to more readily check Pawniard.

I think these two changes should create a more solid team, which is really all you can hope for with a slow, bulky team with middling offensive presence. You have other options to explore, such as Eviolite Diglett > Magnemite, or even Diglett > Snivy and then magnemite can be changed to something else, but these changes require so many other edits to the team it really makes it not the same team anymore so I'm refraining from suggesting these.

cheers!
Thanks for the rate man, made those changes. Also ya I can kind of see why you see this team as worse in practice than on paper, but I still do find it to be a pretty good team despite its flaws.

E: Just realized the new EVs are incorrect with HP Fire, so I changed it back for now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)