Other Metagames [Typemons, Bug] A spiky impression

Introduction
Someone posted a Ferrothorn set consisting of Powder and Heal Order in the Typemons thread in the OM forum - and because like a stally playstyle and Ferrothorn, especially when I can use a Rocky Helmet on it due to having access to reliable recovery in Heal Order, I decided to build a team around it.
is also one of the best types to build around in Typemons due to gaining access to a wide array of supportive moves and also great attacking options, allowing Ferrothorn to heal itself, Latios to gain momentum with U-turn and Tapu Koko to become a threatening setup sweeper thanks to Tail Glow.
The whole team is best described as a Balance team, with Tapu Koko as a Tail Glow sweeper, Zygarde as a banded bulky Wallbreaker, Latios as a scarfed revenge killer and Chansey, Scizor and Ferrothorn together form a defensive backbone with hazards and hazard control, status and cleric.

Teambuilding

Ferrothorn was the pokemon I started with. It's biggest flaw, the lack of recovery, is eliminated by inheriting Heal Order, so that it can act as a reliable physical wall, which severely chips the opposing pokemon simply by switching in and can also set Stealth Rocks and Spikes to punish switches.

Chansey was added as a special wall, which can also keep the whole team healthy. It doesn't gain anything particular useful from
, but it doesn't really need anything.

Tapu Koko was added as a threatening and fast setup sweeper, as it gains Tail Glow. Originally played with Sticky Web support, it also shines without the speed-dropping hazard due to its high speed and the team's defensive backbone being able to tank any hit from a faster mon, allowing Tapu Koko to come in again later to re-attempt a sweep.

A good team also needs hazard control - and I also wanted a
-type with good physical attack for a strong STAB First Impression. Scizor-Mega is the optimal choice for this purpose thanks to bulk, power and
-typing which makes it neutral to Stealth Rock and immune to Toxic Spikes.

Zygarde, equipped with a Choice Band, was added as a physical wallbreaker and also as a switch-in for physical
moves which threaten both Scizor and Ferrothorn although the latter has Powder to discourage the opponent from spamming them. Thanks to its new-found access to Leech Life, it is no longer walled by Tangrowth and also gains some kind of recovery to prevent being worn down too fast.

For the last slot, I added a Choice-Scarfed Latios as a fast revenge-killer and, thanks to U-turn, fast pivot to gain momentum and chip the opponent into the range of Zygarde's Extreme Speed and Scizor's First Impression without taking damage.

The Team

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef
Impish Nature
Heal Order
Powder

Power Whip
Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn can be a huge pain for the opposing team - litterally. It punishes every contact move with as much as 29.166% recoil damage, so that physical attackers have to think twice before going for an attack. On top of that, it has one of the best defensive typings in the game, being only weak to
and to
- but thanks to Powder, it is now pseudo-immune to
while the poor opposing mon which tried to melt Ferrothorn with its flames takes 25% damage. Powder also allows Ferrothorn to scout for opposing
moves to see if Scizor can switch in safely for a First Impression - and you can legitimately call this Ferrothorn the first one which can wall Charizard-Mega-X!
Heal Order, the next new move, grants it reliable recovery, something it really wanted since its release in generation 5. While it really needed Leftovers in regular OU due to being stuck with Leech Seed as its only recovery, it can now run Rocky Helmet for additional chip damage. Also, it can now check the pokemon it is supposed to check much more reliably without getting worn down too fast.
The last two moves are fairly self-explanatory, Power Whip is a hard-hitting STAB move to prevent being Taunt-bait, while Stealth Rock punishes the opponent's switches with chip damage.
Running Spikes over either Powder, Stealth Rock (which can be put on Chansey) or Power Whip is an alternative.

Chansey @ Eviolite

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpDef
Bold Nature
Seismic Toss
Soft-Boiled
Toxic
Heal Bell

This Blob doesn't use any new moves, but it doesn't need to. It just sits there, soaks up special hits and Toxic-stalls the opponent while heepink the team healthy with its Heal Bell. Complementing a physical wall like Ferrothorn with a special one is always good; however, they share their
weakness, so that their teammates have to deal with physical
-types.
Its moveset is really standard and self-explanatory. Soft-Boiled is for healing, Toxic to cripple opposing mons, Seismic Toss surpasses Chansey's abysmal low attack stat and deals constant damage, and Heal Bell cures its teammates's status problems.

Tapu Koko @ Magnet

Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Tail Glow
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks to its newly gained access to one of the most fearsome setup moves in Tail Glow, Tapu Koko becomes a terrifying setup sweeper and basicially a Xurkitree with its biggest flaw, the low speed, being fixed. Originally I had Sticky Web support for it, but even without Webs, it can 6-0 unprepared teams on its own. Also, the team's defensive backbone comes in handy when the opponent switches in a faster mon or priority user to revenge-kill it, as I can switch out to the right wall, and re-attempt a sweep later when this faster mon has been eliminated.
Its ability, Electric Surge, also can be helpful when facing
teams, as it provides sleep immunity, making Spore Dugtrio less of a threat, but of course any Dugtrio's Focus Sash should be broken before attempting to sweep with Tapu Koko.
Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice provide great BoltBeam coverage to hit the majority of the meta for at least neutral damage, Dazzling Gleam as secondary STAB is sometimes the more powerful option than Hidden Power Ice, but a pivoting move like Volt Switch or U-turn is a good alternative.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef
Impish Nature
Defog
Roost
First Impression
U-turn

Altough Scizor stacks a double
weakness with Ferrothorn, it is a very important team member, as it provides crucial hazard control with Defog, and revenge-kills opposing sweepers with the most powerful prority move found in the game: First Impression.
I opted for a fully defensive EV spread to be as bulky as possible, which allows Scizor to switch into opposing mons more easily to either get a Defog or a First Impression off. Some attack EVs may sometimes helpful, but it already does a lot of damage and the (bug-weak) mons I really need to OHKO with First Impression to prevent getting killed by a
-type move in return like Serperior or Sceptile-Mega already are OHKOed without any investment.
Roost keeps Scizor healthy throughout the game, allowing it to switch into opposing attacks multiple times to remove hazards or deal damage with First Impression, while U-turn is mostly for momentum-gaining on predicted switches.

Zygarde @ Choice Band

Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Thousand Arrows
Extreme Speed
Leech Life
Toxic

Banded Zygarde is a great wallbreaker with very few switchins thanks to its godlike signature move Thousand Arrows. One of these switchins is Tangrowth - or better was, since this Zygarde knows Leech Life, which cleanly 2HKOs any Tangrowth while healing Zygarde itself.
It is prediction-reliant, especially as long as the opposing Tangrowth exists, but when you get the predictions right, it will do severe damage to the opposing team.
Thanks to its bulk and fire-resistance, it can also switch into physical fire attacks easily (unlike Chansey) and threaten the attacker out
with its Thousand Arrows.
Extreme Speed provides the team with a second priority attack which can be useful to finish off weakened but faster mons and to revenge dangerous sweepers, most important
-resistant ones, which can tank Scizor's First Impression with ease.
For the last moveslot, I'm quite unsure what to use there. Currently I have Toxic there, but I rarely use it, as clicking Thousand Arrows or Leech Life is almost always better. However, Toxic allows me to cripple opposing bulky mons without havig to predict which attacking move to click. Maybe Outrage is better, but I don't like being trapped into a move.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
U-Turn
Trick
Psyshock
Draco Meteor

Latios fulfills the role as a fast revenge killer. Thanks to its choice scarf, it outspeeds the whole unboosted meta, and pokemon up to 110 base speed even if they have a Scarf too or are at +1 speed, so that it can revenge kill Dragon Dance Zygarde, a mon the team otherwise struggles with, even if it is at +1, some even at +2, depending on their speed EVs. It also provides a fighting resistance and another fire resistance for the team.
U-Turn lets it gain momentum, abusing the switches it forces and allowing it to chip opposing mons into the range of Extreme Speed or First Impression without taking damage, Draco Meteor and Psyshock are its STAB attacking options and for the last slot, I chose Trick over HP Fire, as I often encountered pokemon such as Cotton Guard Clefaible which can be shut down for the rest of the game by locking them into one move with the Choice Scarf.

Conclusion
There's one big problem: As Leader's Choice of the Month, Typemons is challenge-only and has no ladder, so that I can't do nearly as much battles as I would do on a Typemons ladder. And, because there's no ranking, I can't see how skilled my opponents usually are in comparison to my own skill in this OM, so that I can't really tell if my opponents just played badly or my team is good - as far as I can remember, I have never lost with this team in about 15 battles I have done with it.
There are some threats which can be annoying like Trick Room - especially Marowak - or Substitute Zygarde with inherited Recovery - against which I usually have to break the Sub with Scizor's U-turn to bring in either Koko for Hidden Power Ice or Latios for Draco Meteor safely without giving Zygarde a chance to set up a new sub or attack the switched-in mon with its arrows, but in the few battles I made, I didn't see any glaring weakness.

Importable
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heal Order
- Power Whip
- Powder
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psyshock
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Leech Life
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)