Metagame Ultimate Z

How good is trick room in this meta? There are plenty of speedy mons in his meta, but snorlax and steelix appear a lot. Sticky Web is used a lot, but if you run trick room, you don't have to care about it.

Z-Trick Room boosts accuracy which means that you can make use of Blizzard, Focus Blast, Fire Blast, etc. Their high base power is good for your z-moves.

Also, you can run Lv1 meme sets:
Solosis @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 1
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Light Screen
I think pangoro would be pretty cool on a trick room team:
Pangoro @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Storm Throw
- Bullet Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot
Storm throw is there to help you hit those defense boosting mons. Z-Parting shot means you can heal a trick room mon and help it have a chance to reset trick room.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on Smogon for a while, but I only made an account today. Ultimate Z is my favourite Other Meta, and this month was a blast.

Here are some of my favourite Ultimate Z sets. They may not be that creative, but they worked well for me:

Latios @ Firium Z/Electrium Z/Waterium Z/Groundium Z/Fightinium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Psych Up
- Defog

This Latios set gets surprisingly many kills. You don't press Defog that often, but it's a nice failsafe. The Z-Crystal depends on your team construction but should hit Steels for at least neutral. Z-Psych Up both fully heals Latios and wipes out the Draco Meteor special attack drops, but it could be something else like Calm Mind or Dragon Dance (as long as it wipes out debuffs).

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sandstorm
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

One thing I love about Ultimate Z is how it lets you compress team roles really well. This Excadrill sets Rocks, spins, and sets up and sweeps. Sand Force + Z-Sandstorm lets Excadrill do a pseudo-Dragon Dance, which is generally best in such an offence-filled meta. Earthquake hits enough things super-effectively and grants the bigger Z-move.

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Heal Bell
- Energy Ball

This meta takes TG + RD Manaphy to the next level. The tyke's Tapu Koko-weak, but eliminate that electric fey and this is one of the best sweepers in the meta, IMO. Boosts faster than a bunch of tanks can Z-Stockpile, has Z-Rain Dance to outpace a lot of opponents and boost its Water STAB, and can full heal with Z-Heal Bell if the opponent is passive enough. The base attack is Energy Ball to hit all Water Absorbers for at least neutral, though it could be something else.

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Hyper Beam

This is based on other Tapu Koko lists I've seen in this thread--I just like this version the best. Electrium Z Koko can break some walls in two, but it's blocked soooo hard by Ground-types, so I like Fairium Z Koko a lot more. Brave Bird provides a 190-BP Z-move and will hit a Grass-type super-effectively some day. Hyper Beam is here so Koko can go mixed and often OHKO Kartana:

4 SpA Tapu Koko Twinkle Tackle (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 249-293 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Koko's got no time to set up, anyway.

Tapu Koko @ Firium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Giga Impact
- Dazzling Gleam

This is my favourite lure set for Koko. The goal with Firium Z is to lure Excadrill and Steelix and deal heavy, heavy damage to them. I'm using Giga Impact instead of Brave Bird because Fire hits Grasses super-effectively, and 10 more BP on the Z-move helps. Dazzling Gleam is here to hit Dragons super-effectively and hit Steelix on its weak special side.

I'm making an Ultimate Z RMT to raise awareness for this fun meta. It's for my most successful (but still likely flawed) team, which uses different sets from these.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
How good is trick room in this meta? There are plenty of speedy mons in his meta, but snorlax and steelix appear a lot. Sticky Web is used a lot, but if you run trick room, you don't have to care about it.

Z-Trick Room boosts accuracy which means that you can make use of Blizzard, Focus Blast, Fire Blast, etc. Their high base power is good for your z-moves.

Also, you can run Lv1 meme sets:
Solosis @ Focus Sash
Brave Nature
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Light Screen
I think pangoro would be pretty cool on a trick room team:
Pangoro @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Scrappy
Brave Nature
- Storm Throw
- Bullet Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot
Storm throw is there to help you hit those defense boosting mons. Z-Parting shot means you can heal a trick room mon and help it have a chance to reset trick room.
Don’t forget Carbink:

Carbink @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Brave Nature
- Reflect
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Light Screen

With Berry Juice you can set up both screens. Toxic is a last resort.

Last edited:
Lectrys those ^ are some really good sets that show how effective mixed attacking sets are. Most defensively oriented options are almost forced to specialize in one stat (ie def steelix and spdef blissey) and get rocked by mixed offensive sets. Furthermore with the added moveset compression offered by UZ's mechanics, it's fairly easy to fit these mixed attacking options on anything that has a respectable mixed attacking stat spread.

While I'm not crazy about how UZ plays at times, I really do enjoy the ability to creatively compress roles using z-effects. It's a seriously dynamic and underappreciated aspect of this meta that makes things more interesting than this meta would seem at a surface level. That being said I'm kinda disappointed that the meta kinda halted development after the first couple of weeks in October, and thus the high ladder became completely stagnant.

Trick Room Team
Reasoning for considering Trick Room:

Makes Top Threats like Tapu Koko and Greninja useless. Imo
Seems like most teams try to focus on having the most speed.

My team is probably not the most optimal, maybe, but I added my reasonings for my choices.

Solosis @ Focus Sash
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Toxic

Pangoro @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Brave Nature
- Storm Throw
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot
- Swords Dance

Wishiwashi-School @ Waterium Z
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Mist

Ferrothorn @ Steelium Z
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Explosion
- Poison Jab
- Curse

Slowbro @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
I like solosis b/c it means that you are likely able to start up trick room b/c of sash and magic guard. Endeavor is there to make your trick room sweeper have an easy kill. This is especially good if that sweeper has Beast Boost, Moxie, or Soul Heart. The set should at least have trick room and endeavor. The support moves can be Toxic, Reflect, Light Screen, or gravity. Mimikyu is very common, so gravity should be considered to help prevent it from setting up. Gravity could be used to support a groundium z mon. Some players will use SD over splash, which makes sense b/c it removes the sticky web debuff, and also they might have run into gravity b4.

Pangoro plays an important role of helping you keep trickroom up. Z-parting shot gives you switch advantage, lowers the target's attack and sp atk, and heals the mon you switch in. This all helps your trick room mon survive a z-move. Pangoro can also be an anti stockpile mon due to Mold Breaker, Swords Dance, and Storm Throw. Gunk Shot is there for the high base power, and for the ability to hit fairy types.

Wishiwashi has mist for healing, but Idk if it's useful. U-turn allows you to switch into a trick room mon. Hydro pump is its strongest possible special move which may or may not be useful. It has a huge spAtk stat so why not. Ice Beam may be an option. (45Hp/140Atk/140SpAtk/130Def/135SpDef/30Spe)

Ferro is good b/c you can get the huge base power for z-moves from explosion. Explosion also gives you a safe switch into your trick room mons. Curse lets you decrease your speed, increase your attack two stages, and defense 1 stage. Iron barbs combined with a bunch of HP really hurts talonflame who is likely to flare blitz you. Poison Jab is there b/c I don't know what else to put there, maybe spikes or stealth rock would be useful in that slot. It's grass typing is good since it lets it switch in on spore. It also has a very nice 20 base speed.

Slowbro has psyshock b/c I got destroyed by a tentacruel. Blizzard and focus blast are there for high BP and coverage. I believe they are around 90% accurate with the +1Accuracy boost from z-Trick Room. Ice beam probably could be used over Blizzard.

Magearna has the potential to rip holes in your opponent's team. It also acts as a support mon. Volt switch allows you to switch into one of your trick room sweepers. Fleur cannon is there due to it's high base power. Flash cannon is there b/c stab.

Here's some potential sets b/c of ultra sun & moon. My sets are likely not optimal, but just wanted to point out some of what you can use use now. Their are some weird nature, EV, and IV combinations that you can use for Beast Boost, that I ignored, but are likely good.
Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam
- Stockpile

Ribombee @ Fairium Z
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Slurpuff @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Play Rough
- Endeavor
- Light Screen
Blacephalon @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Explosion
- Toxic
- Spite

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 56 HP / 196 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch
Kartana @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
There's probably a bunch more. Like Ash-Ninja with Gunk Shot. Seems like a fair amount of mons now have access to spite.

Now Tapu Lele can get a +2 speed boost with Ally Switch. You can also try gravity if u need to make sure those floating pokemon are affected by sticky web or spikes, get +1 spAtk, block splash and High Jump Kick, remove immunity from ground type moves, and to give focus blast 100% Accuracy. But Calm Mind could be used also.

What's hilarious about the new USUM mons is that they're all OHKO'd by Accelgor Tectonic Rage, so that offence killer still reigns supreme:

252 SpA Accelgor Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blacephalon: 386-456 (156.2 - 184.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Accelgor Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 628-740 (192.6 - 226.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Accelgor Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zeraora: 384-452 (120.7 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Accelgor Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Naganadel: 410-484 (142.8 - 168.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (yes, I know Naganadel's been kicked to Ubers)

...and that's just the Bug Buzz version of Tectonic Rage.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Yes, you can, although I think there's a great case to be had to ban Clangorous Soulblaze (the omniboost with an attack on top) anyway.
It’s also not great because you cannot use it for other moves.

For example, if you had Dragonium-Z, you could use Z-Status, Physical, and Special Moves, with this, the opponent could send in a Fairy type and stop it, and you would have to use regular moves for status moves, etc.

Is Extreme EvoBoost Banned?

If so, it’s because of Stored Power. And Eevee is slow, and weak before it sets up.

Are Forest's Curse and Trick-Or-Treat supposed to be still unbanned?
They are each learned by one Pokemon. Feel free to make a case for it if you believe it should be banned.

In other news, GL Volkner had a creative Clefable:

Clefable @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Aromatherapy
- Sing / Encore / Cosmic Power

He used Cosmic Power instead of Calm Mind, which gives you +1 Def +2 SpD with Z. And he used Lucky Chant before it was banned. Aromatherapy fully heals you while Z-Sing and Z-Encore are options to boost Speed. With Fairium Z, Stored Power becomes Twinkle Tackle, allowing you to hit Dark types you'd normally be walled by.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Yeah, people have been sleeping on using full heal Z-moves. Supremely nice on Unaware users and other fat boys like Snorlax (z-stockpile) Snorlax also gets Whirlwind for phazing other boosters and additional spdef ups. Haze users like Toxapex can get full heals from Haze. Other, less relevant moves do the full heal power as well, like Spite for some reason.

Pyukumuku (M) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Rest
- Counter
- Purify
- Spite

The weirdest, possibly stupidest stall mon to end all stall mons. Z-Purify raises all stats, Z-Spite restores your HP, and Counter is treated as a 100 BP physical Z-Attack, giving Pyukumuku a 32 PP STAB option.
(30 Atk is to make sure it doesn't reset between matches)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)