Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon In-Game Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the late availability of scald hurts Popplio and Wingull badly, but does it even hurt Gyarados enough for it to lose its S tier status? Gyarados's special attack is so weak that ice fang is usually stronger than scald. On the topic of S tier differences, why is Oricorio so much better now than it was in SM?
Also, I think Feebas should be listed with a (trade) next to it just for clarity.
I don't think it hurts Popplio all that much, as it can still get Water Pledge for the power, and now gets Icy Wind to help its coverage options.

As for Oricorio, it's likely thanks to a MUCH earlier Flyinium-Z. (you can now get it on your first visit to Ten Carat Hill by heading north) Having a STAB nuke shortly after getting Pom-Pom Style seems to be of great help, especially when you've a slow Water/Bug Totem to unload it upon on the next island. It'd probably help to read the arguments for Oricorio to understand its placement.

I understand the late availability of scald hurts Popplio and Wingull badly, but does it even hurt Gyarados enough for it to lose its S tier status? Gyarados's special attack is so weak that ice fang is usually stronger than scald. On the topic of S tier differences, why is Oricorio so much better now than it was in SM?
Also, I think Feebas should be listed with a (trade) next to it just for clarity.
Regarding Gyarados, the loss of Scald barely affects it, because to replace Scald, you have Water Pulse you can run if you really need a water move for it, and more importantly BOUNCE. Flyinium Z Bounce is a glorious thing that lets Gyarados just straight up nuke certain totems and boss mons it would otherwise struggle to punch through (like Totem Lurantis, Guzma's Golisopod/any of his bugs, Totem Kommo-o if you get enough Intimidates off on it to render Thunder Punch a non-issue, Totem Ribombee...)

And regarding Oricorio, it's as Detective Barricade says. Air Cutter off of Flyinium Z early on guarantees the dancing bird gets to nuke so many things and rip through a lot of the game, especially with tutor support, a nice HP type, and just how damn fast it is in a world of slow mons. It does work in vanilla S/M, but here it jsut does so much more with that early Z move.

Regarding Gyarados, the loss of Scald barely affects it, because to replace Scald, you have Water Pulse you can run if you really need a water move for it, and more importantly BOUNCE. Flyinium Z Bounce is a glorious thing that lets Gyarados just straight up nuke certain totems and boss mons it would otherwise struggle to punch through (like Totem Lurantis, Guzma's Golisopod/any of his bugs, Totem Kommo-o if you get enough Intimidates off on it to render Thunder Punch a non-issue, Totem Ribombee...)

And regarding Oricorio, it's as Detective Barricade says. Air Cutter off of Flyinium Z early on guarantees the dancing bird gets to nuke so many things and rip through a lot of the game, especially with tutor support, a nice HP type, and just how damn fast it is in a world of slow mons. It does work in vanilla S/M, but here it jsut does so much more with that early Z move.
... provided it gets a good HP type. I personally wouldn't lean too heavily on something that is completely random. You may have gotten a good one, but someone else could be saddled with HP Flying or Dragon.

... provided it gets a good HP type. I personally wouldn't lean too heavily on something that is completely random. You may have gotten a good one, but someone else could be saddled with HP Flying or Dragon.
I fully understand, but I'm just saying an easy base 60 attack, even if it's just HP Dragon or HP Flying (Hey, at least you can't miss now), is still going to hit decently hard, and help dancing bird out. But moreso, you're relying on your STAB flying and Icy Wind and Revelation Dance later on to do work.

Now, for a nomination that I am surprised hasn't been made yet, Drifloon to C tier. In S/M, Drifloon did alright with a really early Acrobatics to help it out, but with that option yanked away from it until late game, and not even having Bounce to fall back on, the balloon is left in a very weak state this game. Its matchup against Totem Lurantis just got harder to handle, Totem Araquarid eats it alive even with Shock Wave for help, and Guzma's bugs more easily prey on its weaknesses. EVENTUALLY, it gets Acrobatics in time for Team Skull's base and Guzma 2, but the lack of good STAB to work on, plus the legions of dark and ghost moves to watch out for along with its other weaknesses, really hinders Drifloon, and it's painful to work with until you get Acrobatics.

I just caught Gorebyss and Slowking from SOS battles, and I'll say based on empirical evidence their encounter rate is probably 1% (or at least like 5%). Haven't tried Huntail yet but it should probably be the same as Gorebyss. We can probably just put Huntail (no trade), Gorebyss (no trade), Slowking (no trade) and Politoed (no trade) into E-rank.

Gengar (no trade) is probably different? Or at least it wasn't that rare when I got it in Sun/Moon. It's still a pain to SOS though so it's probably worth like one or two ranks below Gengar (trade).

I'm surprised Cubone isn't ranked somewhere. I'd say it's B rank for a number of reasons:

* Guaranteed access to Thick Club when you use Thief against Totem Marowak rather than having to fish for one against several Cubone (5% chance of holding one in the wild), and Thick Club skyrockets both Cubone and Alolan Marowak's Attack stat making it pretty easy to train.
* Lightning Rod gives Alolan Marowak three immunities that provide its team with plenty of switch in potential, and its 6 resistances helps this as well.
* Really stellar TM and Move Tutor movepool with immediate access to the Fire Punch tutor which turns to STAB when it evolves to Alolan Marowak, has access to Brick Break and Rock Tomb early on, and then gaining access to Thunder Punch and Rock Slide later.
* Bonemerang is really cool, too.

It does have downsides, such as STILL not having access to Shadow Bone until pretty much the end of the game (what the hell GF...), has 5 common weaknesses, and its speed is really slow even for Alola standards, which is why I don't see it going any higher than B rank.

I believe it was pointed out that it's just much faster to get the Totem Marowak which has Rock Head and the moveset already ready.

I believe it was pointed out that it's just much faster to get the Totem Marowak which has Rock Head and the moveset already ready.
... assuming you play Ultra Sun. Cubone should get separate rankings depending on the game thanks to Totem Alolan Marowak not being available in Ultra Moon.

(As should Salazzle, but the differences are less extreme)

While that’s true, it won’t have Lightning Rod which not only makes the Togedemaru trial a fucking breeze, it also works very well in double battles when you have a teammate weak to electric attacks other than Discharge. Totem Wak also won’t be able to abuse Rock Head until the end of the game when it gets Flare Blitz at level 53.

That being said, it is nice that Totem Wak gets Shadow Bone much earlier I suppose.

Last edited:
Played through Ultra Sun recently and finished the game, so figured I'd post my experiences here:

Rowlet: B Tier
After hearing so many people talk about how Rowlet was awful for them in-game and that it kept on randomly dying to coverage moves, I was resigning the idea of using it to be a horrible experience. However, it actually really pulled its weight, and surprised me at how well it performed as both Rowlet & Dartrix. Supersonic Skystrike coming as early as it does is a godsend for Rowlet, and gives it a Z Move nuke option at a really early time, letting it cheese its way through matches it otherwise might not have any chance winning. I really feel it goes quite some way to compensating for Rowlet's lack of powerful STAB until very late game, and it made some totem battles, particularly Lurantis (and Araquanid potentially, though I didn't use it there), a total joke.

It definitely felt a bit worse to use upon evolving into Decidueye, but it was bulkier than expected, and never got 1 shotted by random Dark/Ghost coverage as many claim, and it gets Sinister Arrow Raid right around the time where the loss of SSS becomes really noticeable. Honestly the biggest knock I can put against it is that since mine ended up being Jolly, I couldn't get the Giga Drain tutor, so I was stuck with Razor Leaf until Ula Ula, well into its time as Decidueye, which made it feel a bit weak at times. It became more of a utility player around that time because its typing made it really vulnerable to Team Skull mons, but it was never totally useless, and pulled its weight even in the Elite 4. The move tutor options and SSS after the 1st totem make it exponentially better than it was in S/M imo.

Grubbin: A Tier
Another case of a Pokemon being flat out better than it was in S/M. The Grubbin line was frankly, painful to live through, with incredibly low stats letting down what is otherwise a surprisingly nice movepool for a Route 1 bug, as it only really had Mud Slap to contribute to big battles. Once it evolved into Charjabug however, the tables completely turned, and it immediately became the most consistently good member of my team, and never relented. Had great stats for the point of the game it was in, proving strong and surprisingly tanky, with moves to take on pretty much any situation. And right about the time it'd normally fall off as my mons become fully evolved, Blush Mountain arrives and it evolves into Vikavolt, which is such a vast improvement from S/M forcing you to wait until Vast Poni Canyon, and while still a bit slow, it never stopped destroying everything it was up against with base 145 Special Attack Thunderbolts, Signal Beam for any Electric resists, Electrium Z for any nuking situations, and shockingly, it managed to outspeed quite a lot of foes by virtue of random Speed EVs it picked up early game.

The only real "problem" it had was that move relearners can't be used until you're literally on the Elite 4's doorstep, which meant it couldn't learn Bug Buzz and got stuck with Signal Beam until right before the Pokemon League. But even with just Signal Beam and Thunderbolt, it more than pulled its weight throughout the game, never had a slog period upon becoming Charjabug, and just kicked ass.

(as an aside, you can get a Charjabug at Blush Mountain and Rare Candy it to immediately get a Vikavolt on your team as well. Thoughts?)

Meowth: D Tier
Remember the problem I mentioned with Rowlet where it was stuck with Razor Leaf until Ula Ula Island? This cat has that problem nailed down a hundred-fold. It started out incredibly well, being fast and coming immediately with Technician-boosted Bite, making it an early game MVP which easily 1-2 shotted anything it came up against, with Shock Wave and Work Up giving it a little more firepower if Bite didn't work. Little did I realize that Technician Bite would be the pinnicle of its STAB until fucking POSTGAME - it evolved into Persian on Akala, and performed nicely up until after Totem Marowak, where its sheer lack of good moves and abysmal Defenses crippled it for the rest of my run. If you want an idea of how poor its STAB is, look at its level up movepool, then realize Dark Pulse is post-game. I'm not exaggerating when I say it never improves from Technician Bite.

This thing died constantly, almost never OHKOed its foes starting from Ula Ula, and worst of all, got barely any better options as the game marched on. Power Gem worked nicely against mons 4X weak to Rock like Guzma's Masquerain, but if it didn't KO, it got 1-shotted swiftly and without hesitation. It got Nasty Plot, but no STAB to use it with, and was so weak it'd only sometimes KO even with the boost. It had so few options that my set going into Mt. Lanakila was Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Shock Wave and Power Gem - not even a STAB move! (Though Dark Pulse is at least right before the E4) And it must've had awful IVs to top my horiible experience using this, not just because it couldn't ever take hits and struggled to OHKO enemies, but against Hau, it got outsped by his Tauros, despite being 4 LEVELS HIGHER. It at least got to sweep Acerola and a number of lower leveled trainers, but it was otherwise the weakest member of my team before I even had a 5th member, and only occasionally got to strut its stuff. Thoroughly disappointed and frustrated with this cat.

Passimian: B Tier
Not much to say about this guy - it's SRable, unlike in S/M, so finding one isn't anywhere near as much of a problem, and you can immediately give it Brick Break, Rock Tomb, Brutal Swing and Fightnium Z for a nice makeshift moveset right off the bat. It was incredibly strong, a reliable option in almost any battle, and almost always made its mark when used. At times late game, it couldn't take special hits especially well, and it was stuck with the moveset listed above and Bulk Up for almost the entire playthrough (Close Combat and Rock Slide emerging later on), but the moveset itself offered great coverage, and the sheer strength of Fightnium Z coupled with its relatively positive matchup spread across the game can't be ignored. Solid, but not spectacular choice.

Mareanie: C-D Tier
On paper, this Pokemon should be utterly abysmal for an in-game run - SOS only, slow, poor offenses, stalling focused, fairly late evolution, no Water STAB until level 58 (or the Scald TM), and to top it all off, mine ended up being Adamant. And while it did need a little bit of grinding to start off with as a Mareanie (only about 2-3 levels), this Pokemon was full of surprises, and did a lot of good for me in my run, even if the 3/4 of its run it had no Water STAB whatsoever.

As a Mareanie, even with an Adamant nature and bad offenses, Toxic + Venoshock did a surprising amount of damage to most foes while also offering plenty of residual damage on the side, and it later got Recover to aid in stalling, as well as Poison Jab to both do damage and poison foes simultaneously, as well as Payback to make use of its rock bottom speed. It did die quite a lot as Mareanie, but still outperformed the rock bottom expectations I had for it.

It wasn't until it evolved into Toxapex where this thing actually became an MVP in its own right - its titanic defenses and great defensive typing let it resist nearly any move enemies could throw at it, making it perfect to throw out and heal the rest of my team, and upon evolution it gained enough offensive presence where Poison Jab (later Acid Downpour) could actually OHKO outright on SE hits, and Toxic Spikes helped make harder battles much easier for the rest of my team to deal with.

The main reason I speak so highly of Toxapex however, was that thanks to Poison (and Pokemon Refresh, admittedly), it singlehandedly dealt with Ultra Necrozma on my 1st try, who would've otherwise annihilated me to kingdom come multiple times over. And it's not as if it can't do work in regular battles, as it could outlast and beat most anything it came up against, so long as it wasn't a ground, psychic or electric type. I absolutely think this thing is significantly better than something like Larvesta (which is 1%, total shit and likely won't evolve until postgame), Yungoos (abysmal at any stage of the game), or even the mon I'll be talking about below, and I'd go as far as recommending it to go up to C Tier, given where the tiers stand right now. It's not like Mareanie is all about poison stalling - it can do that, but it can also provide offensive support in its own right too.

Turtonator: D Tier
Talk about a disappointment - I really wanted to use this guy, but it sadly ended up being by far the most expendable member of my team. It also being Adamant can't have helped my opinion of it, but it was just as slow as its stats would indicate, without being anywhere near as bulky as its huge defense would imply, or as strong as it looks. It coming with Flamethrower was sick, but it had to use Charge Beam and Stone Edge for early coverage, and it just wasn't strong enough to effectively wield any of its attacks. It couldn't even utilize Shell Smash effectively because of how slow it was, and the defense drop usually ended up with it dying if its opponent survived. It was nice as a pivot at times, and was great at handling anything it could resist, but most of the time all it did was spam Flamethrower or Overheat with Firium Z in fights it could win, and it almost always lost against other Dragons due to its pitiful speed. Passimian beating a few of the same Pokemon Turtonator handled while also outspeeding them also probably didn't help Turtonators case, but I honestly wondered why the hell I picked it up by the time I reached Mt. Lanakila and rarely used it for much of anything.

Okay, I've been lurking around the forums for a while, and I want to put in my two cents here.

Honestly, better than I was expecting. As has been stated, Supersonic Skystrike was incredibly useful and it was bulky enough to shrug off most hits and deal out a few back. Mine was Naughty, so I relied on a mostly physical moveset. Yes, that means Razor Leaf until Level 44. I didn't think that really impacted much, because that point in the game I was basically spamming another team member constantly and didn't use Decidueye much. It still stands that it couldn't take a Sucker Punch.

Buneary: A+ Tier
By far the best member of the team. It didn't do much until after Ilima, but when I picked up that Normalium Z, it turned from zero to hero. At +3, it could 1-or-2HKO almost anything, and it even evolved decently early (right before Lana's trial), so I had an amazing team member from start to finish. Its stats also help this- its Attack is decent enough to hit like a truck at +3, and it's bulky enough to tank a good amount of SE hits and fast enough to outspeed virtually everything.

Inkay: C Tier*
The asterisk's there for a reason. I dropped this after Acerola's trial, and so I didn't take it to anything beyond that and it never passed Level 35. But overall, it was mostly really meh, with a few battles it excelled in, especially Kiawe's trial, where it OHKO'd the Totem with Foul Play after a Swagger. While that strategy was fun to pull off, it rarely survived long enough to reap those rewards, and I didn't really want to use it anymore, even after it evolved.

Magnemite: B Tier*
Ooh, controversial! Again, asterisk. Don't yell at me for this, although I will give you plenty to be mad about here. Overall, it was a decent but not really standout team member after a great Melemele. The reason is I dropped it at Blush Mountain, when it was literally evolving into Magnezone, and had just hit level 33 and learned Flash Cannon. Okay, to my analysis. It tended to get one-shot quite a bit as a Magnemite near the end of Akala, and I didn't use it much as the Magneton that it seemed to take forever to evolve into. I'll give it another try, but until then, it's staying here at B.

Ekans: C Tier
Unlike the above two, I used Ekans for the vast majority of the game. I'd have to say that it was a decent team member that I didn't really use much, especially when it would have fallen behind. It evolved really early, right before Lana's trial, and honestly, it carried its weight until around the time where it began to really fall behind. (late Ula'ula and second Aether) Its movepool was abysmal after Crunch and maybe Stockpile, and it was stuck with Acid Spray for the longest time.

Mantyke: B Tier
I liked this guy a lot. I thought he'd be a great, bulky addition to the team. I was somewhat off the mark, but not substantially. As a Mantine, it could soak up special hits, while healing it off with Roost. The problem was that it hit its stride at that moment, where I was... kinda only spamming one 'mon. This 'mon was not Mantine, as the poor ol' ray didn't have the raw power to deal the hits back.

Dedenne: A- Tier
You can probably tell which 'mon I spammed from mid-Ula'ula to Aether. It was the Dedenne. I loved this 'mon. It had the speed to outspeed most things, it had the Sp. Atk to dish out lethal Gigavolt Havocs, and it wasn't too frail. The only problem is that it was a bit specialized. Volt Switch, and later Thunder, was its only STAB that really did anything, and it wishes it got Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast, but overall it was a surprisingly useful team member! (also, it was this that I replaced the Magnezone with, sorry to all the Magnemite fans out there)

Baltoy: B- Tier
Okay. That's really all it was. Okay. Nothing more, nothing less. SR and Earth Power really made it useful, but it really would've appreciated it if I just taught it Psychic and didn't keep it with Extrasensory until post-game. I really don't have much to say that would be tremendously useful here, so there.

Poipole: I'm not ranking this because it came onto the team too late and didn't do much until the postgame
Larvesta: Same deal as above, except it was ONLY used postgame

There. Hope that was good.

Ooh, controversial! Again, asterisk. Don't yell at me for this, although I will give you plenty to be mad about here. Overall, it was a decent but not really standout team member after a great Melemele. The reason is I dropped it at Blush Mountain, when it was literally evolving into Magnezone, and had just hit level 33 and learned Flash Cannon. Okay, to my analysis. It tended to get one-shot quite a bit as a Magnemite near the end of Akala, and I didn't use it much as the Magneton that it seemed to take forever to evolve into. I'll give it another try, but until then, it's staying here at B.

Unlike the above two, I used Ekans for the vast majority of the game. I'd have to say that it was a decent team member that I didn't really use much, especially when it would have fallen behind. It evolved really early, right before Lana's trial, and honestly, it carried its weight until around the time where it began to really fall behind. (late Ula'ula and second Aether) Its movepool was abysmal after Crunch and maybe Stockpile, and it was stuck with Acid Spray for the longest time.
I can't say much for the other guys listed, but I find your suggestion of Magnemite to B tier a little... premature given you dropped it before a good chunk of its favorable matchups in the late game. Yes, it doesn't do too well against Marowak and Lurantis for obvious reasons, but you get the Eviolite right before Plumeria and Olivia so there's extra bulk there, then it goes on a mass slaughter spree against the likes of Guzma's Golisopod and Masquerain, Totem Mimikyu, a lot of the Team Skull/Aether Paradise folks, and Totem Ribombee, nevermind Olivia round 2, most of Kahili and a few of Acerola's mons. It's one of those mons that really only needs a little bit of support to wreck most of the game, and I highly recommend giving it another try, wherever you stick with Eviolite Magneton until Vast Poni Canyon, or go Magnezone early on. It just strikes me as odd you'd drop it before most of the stuff it's really good at.

And Arbok... yeah, it's not gonna be soloing a lot of stuff especially as the late game drags on, but its support capabilities are what puts it at around B tier. Glare, Intimidate, Acid Spray, Bulldoze... This is the mon you use if you want to cripple that one physical mon your team otherwise cannot handle reliably, like Totem Mimikyu or Totem Kommo-o.

Another thing in Magnemite's favor is that as an Electric/Steel-type Pokemon, Magnezone resists all of Ultra Necrozma's moves and you can freely setup Roto Boosts / X-items in its face with little fear. That's what I did in my Ultra Sun playthrough.

Okay, I've been lurking around the forums for a while, and I want to put in my two cents here.

Honestly, better than I was expecting. As has been stated, Supersonic Skystrike was incredibly useful and it was bulky enough to shrug off most hits and deal out a few back. Mine was Naughty, so I relied on a mostly physical moveset. Yes, that means Razor Leaf until Level 44. I didn't think that really impacted much, because that point in the game I was basically spamming another team member constantly and didn't use Decidueye much. It still stands that it couldn't take a Sucker Punch.

Buneary: A+ Tier
By far the best member of the team. It didn't do much until after Ilima, but when I picked up that Normalium Z, it turned from zero to hero. At +3, it could 1-or-2HKO almost anything, and it even evolved decently early (right before Lana's trial), so I had an amazing team member from start to finish. Its stats also help this- its Attack is decent enough to hit like a truck at +3, and it's bulky enough to tank a good amount of SE hits and fast enough to outspeed virtually everything.

Inkay: C Tier*
The asterisk's there for a reason. I dropped this after Acerola's trial, and so I didn't take it to anything beyond that and it never passed Level 35. But overall, it was mostly really meh, with a few battles it excelled in, especially Kiawe's trial, where it OHKO'd the Totem with Foul Play after a Swagger. While that strategy was fun to pull off, it rarely survived long enough to reap those rewards, and I didn't really want to use it anymore, even after it evolved.

Mantyke: B Tier
I liked this guy a lot. I thought he'd be a great, bulky addition to the team. I was somewhat off the mark, but not substantially. As a Mantine, it could soak up special hits, while healing it off with Roost. The problem was that it hit its stride at that moment, where I was... kinda only spamming one 'mon. This 'mon was not Mantine, as the poor ol' ray didn't have the raw power to deal the hits back.

Dedenne: A- Tier
You can probably tell which 'mon I spammed from mid-Ula'ula to Aether. It was the Dedenne. I loved this 'mon. It had the speed to outspeed most things, it had the Sp. Atk to dish out lethal Gigavolt Havocs, and it wasn't too frail. The only problem is that it was a bit specialized. Volt Switch, and later Thunder, was its only STAB that really did anything, and it wishes it got Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast, but overall it was a surprisingly useful team member! (also, it was this that I replaced the Magnezone with, sorry to all the Magnemite fans out there)

Baltoy: B- Tier
Okay. That's really all it was. Okay. Nothing more, nothing less. SR and Earth Power really made it useful, but it really would've appreciated it if I just taught it Psychic and didn't keep it with Extrasensory until post-game. I really don't have much to say that would be tremendously useful here, so there.

Poipole: I'm not ranking this because it came onto the team too late and didn't do much until the postgame
Larvesta: Same deal as above, except it was ONLY used postgame

There. Hope that was good.
Did your magnemite not have sturdy? That makes a pretty big difference in its performance.

Also I DID use Volcarona in my main story run through (obtaining it as soon as machamp shove was available) and it performed amazingly. If you could get to level 59 to evolve larvesta by ultra necrozma Volcarona will sail through the last little bit of the game. Evolving before that point is fairly unrealistic, though. That being said, Volcarona solo’d the elite 4 with quiver dance, fiery dance, bug buzz, hurricane.

I can't say much for the other guys listed, but I find your suggestion of Magnemite to B tier a little... premature given you dropped it before a good chunk of its favorable matchups in the late game. Yes, it doesn't do too well against Marowak and Lurantis for obvious reasons, but you get the Eviolite right before Plumeria and Olivia so there's extra bulk there, then it goes on a mass slaughter spree against the likes of Guzma's Golisopod and Masquerain, Totem Mimikyu, a lot of the Team Skull/Aether Paradise folks, and Totem Ribombee, nevermind Olivia round 2, most of Kahili and a few of Acerola's mons. It's one of those mons that really only needs a little bit of support to wreck most of the game, and I highly recommend giving it another try, wherever you stick with Eviolite Magneton until Vast Poni Canyon, or go Magnezone early on. It just strikes me as odd you'd drop it before most of the stuff it's really good at.

And Arbok... yeah, it's not gonna be soloing a lot of stuff especially as the late game drags on, but its support capabilities are what puts it at around B tier. Glare, Intimidate, Acid Spray, Bulldoze... This is the mon you use if you want to cripple that one physical mon your team otherwise cannot handle reliably, like Totem Mimikyu or Totem Kommo-o.
Magnemite can perform pretty well against Lurantis if you picked up signal beam from the move tutors. :)

For knowledge,, every steel type that isn't mawile (probably even mawile factoring in intimidate) can setup in front of Ultra Necrozma. UltraNecro has Dragon Pulse, Photon Geyser, Smart Strike and Power Gem so all will be resisted and if you are level 50+ as you should be, you should be 2-3hkod by resisted attacks, and can either PP stall photon geyser, or if you get 3hkod can throw rotoboosts then heal and kill him.

Or just do Toxic > spam heals i guess. Or something on those lines.

If we're talking about ways to beat Ultra Necrozma, I have to plug Zoroark for that. Basically, if you send it out disguised as a Fighting-type (in my case, a Hawlucha), it will default to using Photon Geyser against you, thus doing no damage. Meanwhile, if you remain undisguised, you can use a Roto Boost and spam Night Slash until it faints, potentially beating it without even taking any damage yourself.

Magnemite can perform pretty well against Lurantis if you picked up signal beam from the move tutors. :)
I mean, Lurantis has Low sweep, so you Signal Beam, it Low Sweeps, you have to heal as it summons an ally who then hits you after it Low Sweeps again, and you have a dead Magnemite. Signal Beam helps, but really, Lurantis isn't a fight you should be using Magnemite on.

Last edited:
For knowledge,, every steel type that isn't mawile (probably even mawile factoring in intimidate) can setup in front of Ultra Necrozma. UltraNecro has Dragon Pulse, Photon Geyser, Smart Strike and Power Gem so all will be resisted and if you are level 50+ as you should be, you should be 2-3hkod by resisted attacks, and can either PP stall photon geyser, or if you get 3hkod can throw rotoboosts then heal and kill him.

Or just do Toxic > spam heals i guess. Or something on those lines.
Probopass absolutely cheesed the poor ultra dragon diety. Toxic on first turn and never even had to heal or use stat boosts before it fainted a few turns later from toxic damage + power gems.

Well thats something that ultimately any sturdy mon can do, including magnezone :P
True. But Probopass didn’t need sturdy. It was like a 4-6 hit KO from ultra Necrozma. And I really found Probopass to have great matchups for most of the game after evolving with pretty good coverage in power gem/flash cannon/earth power/discharge(or volt switch).

Still, any steel type with a bit of bulk that’s not underleveled should be able to toxic stall Ultra Necrozma decently well.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If we're talking about ways to defeat Ultra Necrozma, I'd like to give a little shout-out to Pyukumuku.

It can be caught at levels 22-25 at Hano Beach, and with neutral IVs and no EVs it will have a HP stat in the 56-70 range. In Ultra Megalopolis, you meet Necrozma at level 60. It will have a maximum HP stat of 205. With that moveset, it can't help but OHKO Pyukumuku, whose ability will inflict damage to Necrozma equal to the HP Pyukumuku had before fainting.

In other words, bring four Pyukumuku to the Necrozma battle, and you cannot lose.

Has anyone thought of using Crabrawler in an US/UM run yet? I figure it's better than in S/M since you don't have to wait until endgame to evolve it (plus, correct me if I'm mistaken but I think you get to Tapu Village around the time it'd reach Lv. 37, by which time it'd learn Crabhammer and Ice Hammer).

Has anyone thought of using Crabrawler in an US/UM run yet? I figure it's better than in S/M since you don't have to wait until endgame to evolve it (plus, correct me if I'm mistaken but I think you get to Tapu Village around the time it'd reach Lv. 37, by which time it'd learn Crabhammer and Ice Hammer).
I believe DHR-107 mentioned using one in his play through, and that it was almost worse in a way. Likely because Crabominable is so slow. I'd have to look back through the thread to see what exactly was said about it.

Edit: Nope, my bad. It was R_N who made the remarks on the crab:

-Crabominable. Hoooo boy. Oh man. Geeze. So Crabrawler was actually great! Fighting is a fantastic type and it has generally ok stats for its time period and it can get solid coverage. Shout out to using Thief to handle Alolan Marowak. And of course it gets Iron Fist boosted Brick Break for basically the moment you get it throughout the entire game. But then you evolve it and everything goes terrible. It's slower, and while it has more bulk it literally has twice as many weaknesses in a game where the AI can and will have type coverage. It was really hard to find times to put it out and any time something like Ice Hammer misses it will probably die. And even if it doesn't die, it will be unable to hit anything because of its speed. The E4 performance had a number of key kills it needed to grab that went like this:
-lets use ice hammer to kill it
-it misses
-it dies
When it does hit, it hits REALLY GOOD but I cannot see this thing rating highly at all because there is just too much working against it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)