UnderUsed Majors I Discussion Thread

Hogg

The bracket will be best of 3 games, right? How is playing 4 games in the first round unacceptable because luck could theoretically play a big roll but determining the ultimate winner with only 3 games acceptable?

Yes, maybe luck would determine the outcome of one or two groups if it was 32 groups of 5 players but ultimately luck is probably going to determine the outcome of matches in the bracket and is a big part of Pokemon overall. When considering the positives and negatives I really think 32 groups of 5 players would be better.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dropping out, not sure why I was told by 3 ppl I could play when I was missing 5 days of the tour to then realise I'd have to schedule 9 games in 11 days.
The length of stage 1 will depend on the size of each pool, which in turn will depend on the number of signups. Expect it to last two to three weeks.
Because of the size of the pools, stage one will be three weeks, not two, so even with your absence you should have 16 full days to schedule.

Every game takes 40 min if you are in some relatively slow games in average. That's 360 min total

Every day has 1440 min. Let's say you are sleeping / completely unavailable for 1240 of those every single day. That leaves you, Freeroamer specifically, with 3200 free min to play 360 min worth of games.

You can play one game max per day and end up with 7 free days. Play two max and you have almost 12 days

The schedule is extremely forgiving unless you want to procrastinate till last second, in which case the problem isn't the tournament,,,

So for clarification for myself and everyone else, hydra will be allowed in round 1 and then in round 2 if its banned it will be banned? Just want to clarify for team building as im sure others would like to make sure as well.

Answer edit bolded also thank you Hogg

Last edited:

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
What happens if theres a tie for the second spot in the group stages, is it head to head or a tiebreaker for who moves on?

Reactions: Ark

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but I want to give everyone fair warning.

Tomorrow (Wednesday September 21, 2016), I will be going through all the players to find out who has not made any effort to schedule or play any games, and making substitutes. There are 15 people who have asked to be subs for this tour and who would love for a chance to play. If you haven't bothered to get in touch with any of your opponents, I'm going to pull you out so that one of them gets a chance instead. Since any subs coming in will have to play nine full games, I want to do this as early as possible so that scheduling is reasonable.

If you HAVE been in contact with your opponents but haven't done so via VM or other public methods that allow me to make proper activity calls, please make a post in the Stage One thread that you are in contact. I am not going to personally PM all 160 players to find out if they scheduled games via PS or Skype or smoke signals - if I don't have any way of knowing that you've been active, I WILL sub you out.

EDIT: Also, shout-outs to teal6 and the Hydreigon pool, where every single player has played at least one game (and one very busy Dundies played all nine games in roughly 24 hours). And reverse shout-outs to the Mega-Aerodactyl pool, where none of the ten players have played a single game yet.

Last edited:
When you say subs so you mean the people who signed up but just didn't get picke?Or did we have to physically contact you.

Ok thank you

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
When you say subs so you mean the people who signed up but just didn't get picke?Or did we have to physically contact you.
Everyone who signed up and didn't get picked was automatically added to the sub list. I've also been contacted by a few others who asked to be added as well, though I'll give priority to those that signed up but didn't make the initial draw.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Things are winding down a bit as we have just over a week left for games. Several people have already played all 9 matches, including a few really outstanding showings such as Lcans going 9-0 in the Mega-Swampert pool.

Right now the Hydreigon pool has Eternal Spirit and obii sitting at the top with 7-2 records, both guaranteed to advance to the elimination bracket.

The Celebi pool has Rodriblutar currently at the top with an impressive 7-0, and King UU not far behind with 7-2. However, both Meru and Shaneghoul could potentially make it into the top 2 if they have excellent showings in their remaining matches.

The Mega-Aerodactyl pool keeps on johning, with the only standout being ProfessorMasterChief with a 4-0 record. Will the Mega-Aerodactyl pool under their new leader Stallion actually play some games? Or will we end up having to activity out the whole pool?

The Suicune pool is looking really competitive. TTFTW has the best record at 5-0, beating many of the biggest threats in his pool, but with other competitive records such as Omfuga at 5-2 and atomicllamas at 4-2, and quite a few remaining games, this could easily be anyone's pool for the taking.

The Entei pool's top player right now is naruto(sage) at 5-1, though recent sub Freestylerking is currently 3-0 and shows no sign of slowing down. However, there are many unplayed games still remaining, so there could easily be some major shakeups in this pool for the last week, and I wouldn't be surprised to see xMarth, Pak or Euphonos end up claiming one of the advancing spots.

Roseybear is currently leading the Krookodile pool at 6-3, but there are several people on Roseybear's heels, including King Troller (5-2), Cyndequil (4-0) and pool leader dodmen who is currently 3-0. This is another pool that could end up being very competitive, and will almost certainly see some upsets in this last week.

My own Sylveon pool is looking like it could be anyone's game, as there is no one with a clear winning record. Hamhamhamham is at the top at 5-2, with Megazard right behind at 5-3, but this pool could easily be looking at a three- or even four-way-tie for second place.

The Mega-Swampert pool has been demolished by Lcans, who swept through it for a clean 9-0. Currently in second is pool leader Christo with a 6-3 record, but a good last-week showing by Kiyo or Lolk could knock him out of contention.

Mega-Beedrill's pool leader Hairy Toenail is taking no prisoners and is currently at a very impressive 7-0, holding the best record of any pool leader. He is the primary standout of his pool, and with many games still remaining, it is up in the air as to who will clinch second.

The Gyarados pool is showing fierce competition between Teddeh and pool leader Zorodark, with 7-1 and 6-2 records respectively, and their only game remaining being their head-to-head. This has been an exciting rivalry, and if Teddeh wins and goes 8-1, Zorodark could potentially get knocked out of his second place slot by Kudasai.

The Mamoswine pool, like the Sylveon pool, looks like it could easily end with several ties. At the top right now are Eutychios and czim, both at 5-3, but there are quite a few people who could easily match or even surpass their records, such as the 3-1 Shiba.

Sam's Mega-Sceptile pool still has many games left, and could go any direction. Right now the head of the pool is PokeTCG gamer1288 with an impressive 6-1 showing, followed by sand1234, who played all nine games and ended with a 5-4 record. But with almost no one from the pool mathematically eliminated at this point, we could easily see this change over the coming week.

The Conkeldurr pool is currently being led by FrozenMan, 5-2, and pool leader Pearl, 4-1, but no one has clinched a spot yet, so it will be exciting to see how the last week changes things.

Pool leader Ice Tea is leading the Cobalion pool at 5-2, followed closely by Amaroq at 4-2, but excellent late showings from people like Peli and Accelgor (both 3-0) can easily propel them to the top spot.

The Cresselia pool is topped right now by DrReuniclus and his very impressive 7-0 record, but he hasn't quite clinched yet. Other good showings include Feliburn at 4-1 and pool leader Vinc2612 at 3-1.

FLCL's Tentacruel pool is currently being led by p2 at 5-2, followed by CBU at 4-1. Either one of these could stumble at the finishing line, however, and like the Mega-Sceptile pool, almost no one has yet been mathematically eliminated, so this should be exciting to see play out.

So, what have people thought so far? Who do you expect to see advance to stage two? Any surprises still in store?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The only way games won't get done under my watchful eye is if everyone is scared to play me. Don't disgrace the good name of Mega Aerodactyl people, you've all had time to build teams and most of you are american and have no time zone issues with each other so get them done!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...nd-1-group-stage.3582569/page-32#post-7027198

Results are in from Stage 1! Expect Stage 2 to be posted shortly.

HYDREIGON POOL
1. Eternal Spirit (7-2)
2. obii (7-2)

3. Empo (6-3)
4. ManOfMany (5-3)
5. Lord Booty Milk (4-5)
6. Dundies (4-5)
7. GunGunJ (3-6)
7. teal6 (3-5)
7. Baxstenias (3-6)
10. Shadestep (2-7)

CELEBI POOL
1. Rodriblutar (8-1)
2. King UU (7-2)

3. shaneghoul (6-3)
4. Century Express (5-4)
5. Elise (4-5)
6. Meru (3-4)
6. Axel TM (3-5)
6. Isza (3-6)
9. Sacri' (2-7)
10. Sharp Ladder UU (2-6)

MEGA-AERODACTYL POOL
1. Stallion (6-3)
1. Chill Shadow (6-3)
1. fatty (6-2)
1. TSR (6-3)

5. lighthouses (5-2)
6. ProfessorMasterChief (5-4)
7. Donphantastic (4-5)
8. Zarif (3-5)
9. Sam I Yam (1-6)
10. r0ady (0-7)

Stallion, Chill Shadow, fatty and TSR are to play a Bo1 Round Robin until a first and second seed are established. (Ordinarily this would be a Bo3, but Bo3 round robin with four players would be a brutal number of games.)

SUICUNE POOL
1. TTFTW (9-0)
2. Eyan (7-2)

3. atomicllamas (6-3)
4. Omfuga (6-3)
5. Mazz (4-5)
6. miltankmilk (4-5)
7. rozes (3-5)
8. Analytic (2-5)
9. coR. (0-6)
9. Paraplegic (0-7)

ENTEI POOL
1. Pak (9-0)
2. naruto(sage) (6-3)
2. Freestylerking (6-1)

4. Euphonos (5-4)
5. GrilledClawitzer (4-5)
6. xMarth (3-2)
7. TestingSomeTeams (3-6)
8. Marcop9923 (2-5)
9. Jhonx~ (0-6)
9. djbonkers (0-6)

naruto(sage) and Freestylerking are to play a Bo3 tiebreaker to establish who claims the second seed.

KROOKODILE POOL
1. Cyndequil. (8-1)
2. dodmen (7-1)

3. King Troller (6-3)
3. Freeroamer (6-3)
3. Roseybear (6-3)
6. YABO (2-5)
6. Real FV13 (2-5)
6. Natalie (2-7)
6. Spoof (2-4)
10. CorruptedOmega (0-9)
SYLVEON POOL
1. TonyFlygon (8-1)
2. Hamhamhamham (6-3)
2. Knuckstrike (6-3)

4. Hogg (5-4)
5. Megazard (5-4)
6. Godfather 4 (4-5)
7. TraceofLife (4-5)
8. BIAF (3-6)
9. 6TI (3-6)
10. KnightsofHallow (1-8)

Hamhamhamham and Knuckstrike are to play a Bo3 tiebreaker to establish who claims the second seed.
MEGA-SWAMPERT POOL
1. Lcans (9-0)
2. Christo. (6-3)

3. zben (5-4)
4. Kiyo (5-4)
5. Confide (4-5)
6. z0mOG (3-3)
6. Mr Highways (3-6)
6. Lolk (3-3)
9. MeowMiXXX (1-5)
10. sup4s4ge (0-6)

MEGA-BEEDRILL POOL
1. Hairy Toenail (9-0)
2. bsu (7-2)

3. Arifeen (6-3)
4. Pepeduce (4-4)
5. Finding True Love (4-5)
6. PD (3-4)
7. GreenGogoattt (3-5)
8. metagross. (1-5)
8. Drud (1-6)
8. Tirander (1-5)

GYARADOS POOL
1. Teddeh (8-1)
2. ZoroDark (6-3)
2. Rattled (6-3)

4. Kudasai (5-2)
5. Mysterious M (3-5)
6. Jolly John (3-5)
7. Bhris Brown (2-3)
7. PokemonmasterTj (2-4)
9. Matame (1-7)
10. Alice Kazumi (1-4)

ZoroDark and Rattled are to play a Bo3 tiebreaker to establish who claims the second seed.

MAMOSWINE POOL
1. Shiba (8-1)
2. czim (6-3)
2. Eutychios (6-3)

4. Lord Esche (5-4)
5. Manipulative (5-4)
6. Level 56 (4-3)
7. HJAD (2-3)
8. kingrickNL (1-5)
9. prooo (0-6)
9. Haruno (0-5)

czim and Eutychios are to play a Bo3 tiebreaker to establish who claims the second seed.

MEGA-SCEPTILE POOL
1. PokeTCG gamer1288 (7-2)
2. Snowy. (6-2)

3. Bushtush (5-4)
3. YMAS (5-4)
3. sand1234 (5-4)
6. Sam (4-2)
7. Threw (4-4)
8. Gotham Paladin (3-6)
9. Mikaav (1-6)
9. MiyoKa (1-5)

CONKELDURR POOL
1. Pearl (8-1)
2. Wanka (7-2)

3. warzoid (6-3)
3. FrozenMan (6-3)
3. LeoLancaster (6-3)
6. CoolStoryBrobat (4-5)
7. Capt. KnightWalker (3-6)
8. Decision Makers (2-5)
9. Electricity'L (0-7)
9. Winry (0-7)

COBALION POOL
1. Accelgor (8-1)
2. Ice Tea (6-3)
2. Amaroq (6-3)

2. amber lamps (6-2)
5. Peli (4-3)
6. JoarAddamNessosin (3-6)
7. Kreme (3-6)
8. CrzyCookie (2-6)
8. megaqwer (2-5)
10. fran17 (2-7)

Ice Tea, Amaroq and amber lamps are to play a Bo3 round robin to establish who claims the second seed.

CRESSELIA POOL
1. DrReuniclus (9-0)
2. Vinc2612 (7-1)

3. Cancer on FLEEK (6-3)
4. Feliburn (6-3)
5. SPEBSQSA (4-5)
6. slurmz (4-4)
7. sanjay. (2-5)
7. HQuaze (2-6)
9. Ajna (1-7)
10. Mishimono (0-7)

TENTACRUEL POOL
1. CBU (7-2)
2. The50mph (6-3)

2. p2 (6-3)
4. FLCL (4-4)
4. Amukamara (4-4)
4. Contact (4-4)
7. Lixx (3-5)
8. snagaa (3-5)
9. Asukara (2-5)
10. Yoshizilla315 (0-4)

The50mph and p2 are to play a Bo3 tiebreaker to establish who claims the second seed.

I know you guys got your praise in the Majors thread, but it's remarkable that this was kept on schedule and that the next round is going up so fast. There was a lot to sift through in terms of activity wins or dead matches. Hogg, dodmen, and Pearl can't be praised enough for the work they've put into UU Majors thus far. Really appreciate it guys.

Our splendid host IronBullet and King UU shan't be forgotten! Both were monumental in getting this tournament up and running, and haven't gotten any of their due praise.

Last edited:

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Yay I'm so happy for the people who made it to round 2 ^-^ I can't wait to see some really good battles <3 gl
I'd honestly let you take my place in round 2 if the tournament hosts would let me. You are probably one of the nicest users in this tournament, along with megaqwer and between the two of your guys' posts, the uu major thread was made much more enjoyable for me just with your personalities. I hope you continue to do stuff with uu and thanks for making it just a little more enjoyable at least for me. I'm glad you decided to join it.

Last edited:
I'd honestly let you take my place in round 2 if the tournament hosts would let me. You are probably one of the nicest users in this tournament, along with megaqwer and between the two of your guys' posts, made the uu major thread much more enjoyable for me just with your personalities. I hope you continue to do stuff with uu and thanks for making it just a little more enjoyable at least for me. I'm glad you decided to join it.
Thanks man <3 I do hope to continue in UU you guys are a lot of fun :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)