Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting over! Seems like we have a clear winner for this round, congrats to Euphonos, your team will be put in the Hall of Fame!

Lets's explore some of our new UU friends! For week 8, the 'mon of choice will be Mega Altaria. With an excellent defensive typing, ability, and offensive and defensive toolkits, Mega Altaria proves to be a solid contender among the extremely powerful threats in the UU meta. Though it may be arguably banworthy, the UU metagame has adjusted reasonably well to the strong Fairy-type additions to the tier, finding more viable counterplay than once thought to be true, such as Amoonguss, Klefki, and the omnipresent Scizor. While Altaria is most notorious for its Dragon Dance sets, moves like Earthquake, Fire Blast, Heal Bell, Roost, Refresh, and Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice all allow it to avoid being too one-dimensional.

Submissions end on Saturday!

e: it's week 8 I can't count jesus christ I am bad at this

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
memes

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Facade
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dream Eater

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Counter

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Natural Gift

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Decided to go a bit less standard with this one. I've had the idea of building around Z-Dream Eater Rotom+Altaria (A core built around overwhelming teams with Amoon as their malt check by luring and ohkoing it after rocks with Rotom) for a while now, and i decided it'd be a good plan to do so here. So, going off from that I added rocks counter pert to help with Weavile/Scizor/etc a bit, then added occa natural gift Scizor to further assure that I'd have no issues with swords dance Scizor sets while also giving me a way to dodge hp fires from mons Sciz wants to u-turn on. I added Klefki for speed control and spikes support since both of those really help this team, with toxic to assist versus mega Manectric somewhat, and I finally added zygarde-10% due to its ability to RK Rotom and also because it's a moderately fast mon which benefits greatly from spikes.

PS fix iron tail zydog's existence
for TSR:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 200 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Sand Tomb / Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 208 Def / 96 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh

Snorlax @ Figy Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Gluttony / Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recycle / Rest

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent / Damp
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
So M-Altaria is a really really good Pokemon especially if you're unprepared, this is my take on the monster. Decided to start with a Swampert because I hate that M-Manectric can really hurt unprepared teams, it also gives me a decent switch into Scizor and allows me to slap Rotom-Wash with a Toxic when it decides to go for a burn. Next up Klefki is there to pivot into and paralyse opposing threats, most notably Weavile and Sharpedo-M is answered, HP Fire is there to damage opposing Scizor esp. fat Scizor that likes to Defog. I then decided I wanted something to abuse Spikes + Stealth Rock, so I ended up running Lucario, which essentially gives me a decent enough breaker/sweeper that is different from Scizor but also threatens opposing Steel types a whole lot more. Decided to add SubTect Gliscor in order to abuse hazards (since it forces so many switches) in this case I went with Sand Tomb over Earthquake since it essentially gives me the opportunity to dick stall whilst being an annoyingly difficult mon to take down; it also alleviates pressure on Swampert as a secondary Electric immunity and a much loved Ground immunity. Lastly, Snorlax was added as my sponge, and late game wincon. Essentially this is just fat offence, usually I can set up hazards relatively quickly and start wearing down the opponents team to the point where either M-Alt, Snorlax or Lucario can sweep, it's been a fun team to use and has been moderately successful. Lack of hazard control is a pain, but is manageable; M-Altaria and M-Gardevoir are sometimes annoying if you play like shit; and just like every other balance/bulky offence team Mamoswine is annoying but manageable.

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
< Click sprites for importable
My first idea was to build around RegiMola +mega Altaria, this defensive core allows me to take a lot of common threats in the current metagame called weavile, mega manectric, mega Sharpedo and mega Gardevoir, after that, i needed a ground type, swampert was my choice, it checks cobalion, terrakion and scarf infernape pretty well also since this team was really weak to gliscor (i can't break that with alomomola) i've put ice beam as 4th slot on swampert. next one, i needed a hazard remover, tenta quickly comes to my mind, it provides tspikes which are amazing in combo with regimola, also tentacruel improves my match up against fightinium z cobalion and SD Scizor. At last, i feel the team was really weak to stuff like opposite mega altaria and i needed a wallbreaker able to force out mega gardevoir, weavile was my obvious choice, its the best pursuitter trapper in the tier, also my defensive backbone appreciates the support that weavile gives in this build.
the team is not perfect, DDD Malt could be replaced with a special heal bell version if you fell that status condition are hard to handle, a well played freeze dry Mamo eats this team like a Cake. (lol); MowTom could be annoying as well since it can pressure swampert and can volt freely on mega altaria; SD Scizor is a bit hard to handle, you should always take tentacruel healthy as possible with wish. that's it, hope you like that!

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
For TSR!

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Wish

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak
- Rest

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

I decided to go with support m-alt instead of the usual DD variation. With heal bell on m-alt it frees up a slot on blissey so i can run wish. I started with the classic aloblissblade core but opted to go with roar cune instead. I went the SpD doublade, as M-Garde is a huge issue for stall right now and I went with shadow sneak>sleep talk to give a bit of speed. With cune>alo i sacrifice a wish passer with something that can pressure(pun not intended) opposing stall teams while still giving me something that can answer weavile. For the last 2 slots I went with ditto, as ditto deters most setups mons from setting up and helps me to scout moves of opposing mons. I also decided to go with mantine. Mantine is a great defogger with a tremendous ability in water absorb. It helps with cune although it can be PP stalled. But with ditto+mantine I can outlast suicune if played right. Stallbreakers like gliscor and suicune can really pressure this team
Edit: i went with mixed m-alt as to lure in scizor. You return on its switch in them flamethrower right after. 4 speed EVs with relaxed is to creep base 70s

Last edited:

EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Draco Meteor

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Energy Ball

I decided to support Mega Altaria(204 speed to be faster than mega manectric after 1Ddance) with a slow volturn core: def rotom w (88 speed to be faster than adamant scizor) and standard CB scizor.
I added Latias that is a good defogger and checks a lot of mons like rotom w, suicune ecc.
Next pokemon is Krookodile:
scarf with SR beacause i need a SR setter and a scarf to clean in lategame if Altaria dies. The last pokemon is Specs chandelure that is a monster,(can be useful with infiltrator too, against stuff like sub gliscor that is annoying.
Other thrats are Weavile and Darmanitan but manageable.
The team is quite good but it's hard beat stall teams.
That's all. and sorry for my bad english xD

Almost forgot to update this before I went to sleep, mega L.

Anyway, it seems we have a winner! Congrats to Sun for winning this week!

For week 9 (I got it right this time omg) we'll be taking a look at Mega Sharpedo. It's been quite the controversial 'mon this gen, being notorious for its ability to shred through weakened teams with what is usually only a small set of conditions to be fulfilled first. It's new tool Psychic Fangs let it power through a lot of its old checks from ORAS and has effectively turned it into UU's most dangerous cleaner. Due to threats like Conkeldurr and Mega Altaria passing through the tier, it's viability has fluctuated slightly but has consistently remained a top tier UU threat for the entirety of Generation 7. Also goes well with Spikes!

Put the Kelfkis into the ignition (good lord kill me I'm actually typing this pun out) and rev up those teambuilding engines, submissions end Saturday evening!

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 196 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Reflect

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang
- Protect
This team gives me many fast and, subjectively, easy games on ladder. The idea behind this is hazard stack + twave spam. With two decent breakers and three cleaners I find this team to be very effective against most ladder players and it lets me auto pilot the first 15 or so games for reqs - most of the time.

The starting point is, the tried and true, Scizor, Klefki + M-Sharpedo core. The next step was deciding on my Electric immune, my Stealth Rocker and some kind of special pivot/ground immune. So I looked at running a volt-turn core consisting of Infernape, Rotom-Wash & Hydreigon initially but was a little disappointed in the lack of speed on Hydreigon (making this team even more susceptible to fighting types). So I added Zydog on a whim since I liked that it could spam Thousand Arrows quite easily versus volt-turn teams. The principal behind this team is to maintain offensive pressure 100% of the time, alongside 3 priority mons and two Thunder Wave users; offensive counter play is very limited.

Scarf Rocks Nape was really there because I needed SR and I needed some form of Speed control, its not the best set but it works, Infernape is able to pressure opposing Pokemon such as Scizor, Weavile, and faster Mega Pokemon (eg. +1 Sharpedo-M). As an added bonus, I can bluff non-scarf by going for SR early game on a forced switch. Most Pokemon that comfortably switch into Infernape don't enjoy offensive Rotom-W, looking at you bulky water types. Z-Hydro Pump is a one time nuke that lets me do nice damage to Pokemon such as Swampert (70% min) clearing a path for one of Scizor, Nape or Sharpedo late game. I also quite enjoy the added benefit of catching Dragon types (not named Sceptile-M) with Thunder Wave. Next up is Klefki, which truly is a menace in this current metagame, not only is it ridiculously splashable and versatile, it provides Spikes and priority Thunder Wave as an emergency check against threatening sweepers. Klefki runs Reflect because I really like that I can utilise it to either set up more hazards versus Pokemon such as Gliscor or provide an opportunity for Scizor to set up. So onto my main breaker: Zydog. This bad boy is really neat on hazard stack, alongside its great Speed stat its able to pressure opposing offence and bulky builds fairly easily. For instance, it can 2HKO Pokemon such as Alomomola, Quagsire, Suicune with Outrage after hazards. Sharpedo and Scizor are the clean up crew, I don't think I need to explain what either do, but they're both highly effective during the late game and that is why they're on this team.

This team isn't without its short comings, major issues include: opposing Zydog (RKO), Phys Def Umbreon (Free Klefki switch in, maintain hazards and don't let it in for free) and one must be very careful around one particular Fighting type: Cobalion (Priority Paralysis, slower than Infernape and Zydog). Although most of these threats are quite manageable through intelligent play and clutch paralysis.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
:sneaky:

Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

Gliscor @ Groundium Z
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Celebi @ Bluk Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Natural Gift

So, I decided to go for a classic Sharpedo Spikes offense with a bit of a twist. I went with HP fire for Klefki because I hate Scizor. I used specs Nihilego because i felt like it was an underexplored mon and i personally really enjoy that set. The Double Dance Groundium Z Gliscor was my primary setup sweeper of the team, with Cobalion for stealth rocks, and Celebi for the additional Scizor lure as well as a secondary ground, water, and fighting resist. Try it out, see how you like it.

For host-boy TSR:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
yw TSR

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

The main goal of the team is to wall-break with Nasty Plot Salazzle, a fairly slept-on Pokemon, and Bandzor for a late-game clean by Mega-Shark. I chose that offensive core because of the pressure they each exert on shared checks/counters, namely bulky Water-types. Obviously, the team then required a defensive backbone, and I opted for Swampert + Sylveon. Swampert is obvious - it sets up rocks and checks things like Scizor, Weavile, Infernape, etc. while also providing Roar utility. Sylveon was used in conjunction with Swampert since I don't want to autolose to Hydreigon. Lastly, I opted for Scarf Latias to provide Defog support, emergency Hydreigon check, and a solid revenge killer with access to Trick utility as well.

Thanks! 3+ submissions always make things a bit more interesting the head-to head option. Voting lasts till Tuesday, then we'll pick back up with the Saturday deadline for submissions. :3
Also like to mention that I'm gonna have A Cake Wearing A Hat co-host this with me as he's done a great job of trying to get people to post here and can help promote it during the ungodly hours I work!

pokemon sparrow
A Cake Wearing A Hat
MewBby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)