UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab (Check Post #479)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OP Stolen from Kiyo and Trinitrotoluene
Approved by: Sam & Hikari
Art: provided by Cloud_Nine987; thanks to Colbrushie for past banner

UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab

Hello everyone, I'm nv. Throughout my time in UU, I have noticed that a good chunk of newer players do not know how to effectively team build or have no access to good teams to get started with. In an effort to rectify that, I have joined forces with several experienced UU players to host this teambuilding lab. Here users can post Pokemon sets / cores that they would like us to build a team around and one of us can reply with their team and the team building process we used so the requester can see our thinking processes and get ideas on how to build their own teams in the future.

Also, in an effort to improve all of us and get some quality discussion for the thread, I'm going to propose that you guys take the builds we create, play ~5 games on the ladder with them at a decent rank, then link all replays and talk about how to expand your teambuilding from there.

Rules:

- Have a one paragraph description (3-4 lines should suffice) with the set / core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams. (Think B- or above in the viability rankings). Furthermore, all requests must make sure that the Pokemon being requested to be built around are at least B rank (or above) in the Viability Rankings. If you're requesting a core, make sure that you provide good reasoning why that core would be a good choice to built around in the current metagame. Even if it's only one Pokemon that is to be built around, it has to be viable enough in the current metagame to warrant being built around.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted and may see further punishment.

- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please. That being said, builders must be willingly to take constructive criticism should their team prove to have a big weakness and the ones who point the flaws of a builder's team out should contribute as to how the team can be fixed so the builders and the requesters can grow as players.
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
- On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- However, you are not allowed to post your own teams here to have us modify them. We're here to build new teams, not modify older ones. If you want your own teams critiqued and modified, post them in the RMT forum, not here.
1. Have an extreme knowledge of the UU tier and the current metagame
2. Provide "evidence" as to how good of a builder you are (RMT Team Showcase, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance to be precise)
Current Builders
nv
YABO
Shiba
Hogg
Kreme
Euphonos
Sacri'
Manipulative
King UU
Pearl
R0ady
Amaroq
LilOu
TrulyDevious | Mega Swampert | Bulky Offense / Balance | Kreme
ChrystalFalchion | Tornadus | Offense | ???
Sovjet Onion | Sharpedo + Celebi | Offense | ???
Silverwhiteblue | Shaymin + Reuniclus | Offense | ???
Gorechomp | SD Escavalier | Balance | ???
Cheryl. | CB Metagross | Offense | Sacri'
boxofkangaroos | SubDD Gyarados | Balance / Bulky Offense | ???
TheMasterOP | Mega Houndoom | Offense | ???

Last edited:
Hey I was actually curious if the UU forum would have one of these threads as though I am experienced in OU battles I'm new to UU itself so help would be welcome. I was hoping to have a balance team built around a core with Goodra and Roserade. Both make a decent team with Goodra taking Fire attacks targeted at Roserade and the latter taking Fairy attacks aimed at Goodra. Roserade also helps Goodra wear down threats with Spikes. Both are week to Ice though and neither have a fantastic physical defense stats. An alternative to Roserade is Whimsicott who though can't lay spikes does have a Dragon immunity which Goodra is happy to abuse with Dragons being on almost every team.

Goodra @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

or

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

Edit: Typed this out late last night and forgot to add Whimsicott as an alternative to using Roserade and has a lot of times been a better partner for Goodra then Roserade was for me which really I'm considering asking to just go with a Goodra + Whimsicott core instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Stone Edge/ Iron Tail/ Pursuit/ What ever works

I've been wanting to see some scarf Krook offence for a while. I thought I would build it tonight but this thread came up so I'll build something else. Basically this is suppose to act as a cleaner. It could be a nasty pursuit revenge killer too but scarf pursuit only hits so much. Do what ever you want with it. As long as it fits with the team.

Also if you guys need more builders/testers I can help out. Dont know if i qualify but I build and test a lot. I could contribute.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
So, I'm trying to get more into UU lately. Looking for a team based around Offensive Tangrowth. I think Tangrowth is an insanely good Pokemon and is an extremely underrated wall-breaker thanks to its solid attacking stats coupled with Regenerator and Sleep Powder. If nicknames and replays could be included, it would be be most appreciated.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest / Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
- Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power / Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Scarf moxie krook offensce pls!

Also if you guys need more builders/testers I can help out. Dont know if i qualify but I build and test a lot. I could contribute.
I'm going to update the OP with "requirements", but basically I want PMs from potential builders who think they are worthy and me and the other current builders will consult and decide whether or not to let someone join.

A pokemon I love a lot in the UU meta is Blastoise (Its my favorite pokemon), for mostly it's wall breaking capacity combined with bulk, and entei just deals with most of it's counter and checks therefore my request of a balanced offensive team with these guys. If needed I'll settle for just balance

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse

I know most people run rapidspin on Blastoise but im one of the minority fans of all out attacking Blastoise, but spin can be added if needed. I am also not very knowlegable of what Evs it needs to run in UU, so i just maxed HP and Spatk for longevity and power

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

I've seen some use banded entei, but I like Lo's capacity to retain power but stay diverse, and most get tricked thinking its banded, and send in a switch expecting the move im "locked into". my 4th slot was a filler, and I am not keen on what enteis run, so I just put toxic to hit any wall/quagsire that might come in even it doesnt make sense when I can burn with fire :P

So yeah, I'm a pretty bad case in UU, so I'd appreciate the help

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Sharpedo + Entei (Hyper Offence)
+

I've been trying to make this offensive core that dodmen famously used that one time work, and the teams I make with it keep coming up short. The basic idea is pretty straightforward: have Entei + friends bust through Sharpedo's checks (Forretress, Florges, etc), in hopes of sweeping with Sharpedo. However, every team I've attempted to build has had the same common weaknesses:

1. Hydreigon
2. Scarf / DD Salamence
3. Fighting types in general, but mainly Cobalion
4. RAIN

The things I've found to mesh best with this core (I've been consistently drawn to Rotom-Mow and Crobat) are either unable to touch these mons, simply overpowered by them, or both. Switching into strong Dragons and Fighting moves has proven nigh impossible, to the point that something like Scarf Hydreigon basically gets a kill whenever it comes in. I know offence likes to fodder things a lot, but Dragons and Fighting types in tandem have consistently been able to dismantle my builds singlehandedly.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cloyster @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Memento

This is a core I've been just struggling to build with and would like to see how others have a take on it and such, and mainly try to improve my own building when it comes to a core that share some common weaknesses and can't really switch-in on too much. I've always liked Cloyster but due to its very low SpD and mediocre offense without a boost, I've had quite a troubling time trying to even build around it on its lonesome, but theoretically pairing it with Choice Specs Chandelure would help it immensely, as Chandelure can weaken a lot of Pokemon that Cloyster would appreciate being weakened or even removed, such as Suicune and Mega Aggron. The Cloyster set is pretty much unchangeable but the Chandelure, on the other hand, is pretty much interchangeable since a lot of options work well here, such as Memento Choice Scarf and SubCM. From what I can tell those variants all help Cloyster quite a bit. Sorry if this is unacceptable due to the B- or above restriction based on the viability rankings but I've been very keen to see how good builders would build around a core like this and I've also been interested in using a Cloyster team for a very long time now, I also believe that Cloyster isn't too mediocre for this anyways. Preferably I'd like the end result to be one of balance / bulky offense / hyper offense but seeing what the core is, I doubt any of the builders would be able to make any stall variant with it anyhow.

show me that CM Slowking + Mega Abombasnow + CB Heracross core for a bulky offense team, they cover each other's weaknesses well, as well as take on many of the top tier threats.

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psyshock

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

nv

The Lost Age
Working on the banner now, NV.
Putting in a request for my new thread UU Teambuilding Lab. I would prefer UnderUsed on the top and Teambuilding Lab on the bottom with the S rank mons of UU (Feraligatr, Hydreigon, Reuniclus, Salamence, and Suicune) sitting around a table of "research" (papers, test tubes, etc.) similar to the famous "dogs playing poker" picture. If that is too difficult, let me know and I can figure out something different for the banner. Thanks in advance and take your time (but not too much time lol).

Taken from "The Workshop" art thread
If this doesn't work out, I will gladly take yours Nightingales, :P

If this doesn't work out, I will gladly take yours Nightingales, :P
Question. Like in the OU Teambuilding thread will the builders be posting which teams they are gonna claim and build? Just curious as I made an edit to my team that I forgot to do last night and it wasn't mention in the OP.

nv

The Lost Age
Question. Like in the OU Teambuilding thread will the builders be posting which teams they are gonna claim and build? Just curious as I made an edit to my team that I forgot to do last night and it wasn't mention in the OP.
We just kind of claim them then build then post our teams we make here, but the builders keep in contact so as to not have overlaps i.e. two builders working on the same team unless the core / mon posted can be used on two different playstyles or the submitter requests different playstyles be built with the same mon (i.e. Roserade on balance / offense).

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Recover

I've always wanted to build around Acid Armor Reuniclus but then I realized I don't know how to play UU. Seems like a pretty underrated set, and can be pretty effective once Steel- and Dark-type Pokemon are taken out. I'm not really sure on the spread either so I left it as the standard Calm Mind one, but you guys can fiddle around with the EVs if you want. I could see some partners being Fighting-types, and I'm looking for more of a bulky offensive team.

nv

The Lost Age
Ok the first team is done.

Goodra

Goodra @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

So this core looked really intriguing, but lacked a lot of speed. It also lacked a more reliable answer to Fire-types so I ended up added Defensive Utility Slowking as it can spread paralysis so Goodra can outspeed threats and do what it does best. Next I noticed a glaring weakness to DD Gatr as well as lacking a solid physical wall so Phys Def Umbreon was added next, providing decent synergy with Slowking as well. I then wanted some way to get rid of hazards as they wore the whole team down at this point so standard Forretress was added. Lastly, I noticed the team relied too heavily on paralysis support and lacked a Mega so I went for Mega Beedrill which also formed a nice VoltTurn core with Forretress, allowing the team to gain momentum and pressure the opponent even further with hazard stack. This team can lose to non-Choiced Entei (which isn't that common) and stall gives it trouble as this team lacks a stallbreaker. Mandibuzz could be used over Umbreon if you don't miss the Heal Bell + Wish support. Hope you enjoy the first team ever created for the UU Teambuilding Lab, n_v

Last edited:
Ok the first team is done.

Goodra

Goodra @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

So this core looked really intriguing, but lacked a lot of speed. It also lacked a more reliable answer to Fire-types so I ended up added Defensive Utility Slowking as it can spread paralysis so Goodra can outspeed threats and do what it does best. Next I noticed a glaring weakness to DD Gatr as well as lacking a solid physical wall so Phys Def Umbreon was added next, providing decent synergy with Slowking as well. I then wanted some way to get rid of hazards as they wore the whole team down at this point so standard Forretress was added. Lastly, I noticed the team relied too heavily on paralysis support and lacked a Mega so I went for Mega Beedrill which also formed a nice VoltTurn core with Forretress, allowing the team to gain momentum and pressure the opponent even further with hazard stack. This team can lose to non-Choiced Entei (which isn't that common) and stall gives it trouble as this team lacks a stallbreaker. Mandibuzz could be used over Umbreon if you don't miss the Heal Bell + Wish support. Hope you enjoy the first team ever created for the UU Teambuilding Lab, n_v
Thanks for the team! I'll give it a try and maybe make a few edits if that's okay.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just a little nitpick but it would be nice if you put who are your builders on the OP. Far more organized and easier to keep track when someone sees the thread for the first time.

Also for the first team ever in this, I find the lack of a solid setup sweeper really troublesome, having experienced the struggle of trying to get past a team through brute force I feel calm mind over dragon tail would be more beneficial.
It provides the same support with thunder wave and going with mono water coverage seems plausible with mega beedrill, roserade and goodra taken care of most water and grass types. The phazing and racking hazard damage can be missed but the team has decent tools to kill opposing momentum and force mons to switch out imo.

Best of lucks with this project.

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Heal Bell
- Thunderbolt

I've been interested in making / seeing a good offensive Mega - Ampharos team for quite some time now, but whenever I ended up making one I always reverted to the Defensive Set just because it becomes so much easier to deal with Fire Spam and it's a lot harder to wear down, making me pick it over an offensive set most of the time. The EVs / moves are all interchangeable provided it remains offensive. A balance or bulky offence team would do nicely, please and thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)