UU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Klefki + Latias HO Core

This is a neat HO core that I find quite effective. Klefki faces a problem in that it essentially lets in hazard controlling Pokemon for free. Pokemon such as Empoleon, Togekiss, Mandibuzz etc. can all switch in relatively safely and remove your hard earned hazards. Running Z-Thunder, Latias is able to KO these Pokemon and do some massive damage at +1. Latias can also support the rest of its team by being a dedicated answer to Bulky Water type Pokemon through the use of Z-Thunder. Klefki is also one of the best switch ins to opposing Latias, as well as other threatening Pokemon such as Weavile, M-Beedril, Sylveon, etc. Granting it ample opportunity to spread disruption via Thunder Wave, or set up Spikes - aiding the rest of the team.

What makes this core very effective is the versatility of each Pokemon, in terms of last their moves. I stated above the effectiveness of Z-Thunder but Latias also has an option in Hidden Power Fire and Z-Surf. I've seen Klefki effectively run Toxic, Magnet Rise, Foul Play and Hidden Power Fire to achieve its purpose.

Seeing as choosing your moves effectively lets you choose your counters to this core I will list Pokemon that cause issues dependent on last move choice as well as offensive threats. Pokemon such as Scizor, Empoleon, M-Steelix, Primarina, Krookodile, Chandelure, as well as opposing Latias (Klefki is chipped) all come to mind. The following is an example of how I run this core.
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
upload_2017-7-18_10-21-18.png
upload_2017-7-18_10-21-39.png
upload_2017-7-18_10-21-57.png

pixie dixie (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

batzy scorpy (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Taunt

floaty boaty (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

This three Pokemon core can serve as a defensive side of any balance team and is almost a premade team that can work alongside almost any offensive core/stand alones.

Basically, even though it costs you 3 slots instead of the more usual 2 Pokemon cores, it offers a more than corresponding increase in benefits because:
  • You don't need to worry about any utility for your team because you already have Defog, Cleric, Stealth Rocks and even a Volt Switch immunity
  • You wall top tier attackers like Swampert, Mamoswine (sort of), Xurkitree, Scizor and Hydreigon
  • In a similar vein, you have all the required resistances for a typical team already in just 3 slots except Fairy, with good resistances to basically all the other popular attacking types
  • It has great synergy, the special attackers Sylveon cannot wall like Nidoking and Xurkitree and Suicune are somewhat easily dealt with with the rest of the team
There are a couple holes in the core that need to be filled with the rest of the team, most notably:
  • Boosting Latias, Aerodactyl and Gliscor can power through the core pretty easily so that's a concern
  • Obviously there is a real lack of power, but the offensive Pokemon should pretty easily fit on the rest of the team and charge the power levels up
  • Small synergy concerns with Heal Bell Sylveon and Toxic Orb Gliscor but that does't come in to play so often
As a final note, even if this core doesn't fit on your team, I would highly suggest trying Mantine out as I think it's underrated right now and walls a lot of Pokemon and has Defog without being too passive as it gets Haze.

Forretress and Chandelure go well together.

Forretress can Rapid Spin away all kinds of hazards which Chandeulre hates (especially rocks) while chandelure can spinblock the Spikes and Rocks Forretress has set up. Additionally, Chandelure can eat up fire moves with Flash Fire that would destroy Forretress.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS

Forretress and Chandelure go well together.

Forretress can Rapid Spin away all kinds of hazards which Chandeulre hates (especially rocks) while chandelure can spinblock the Spikes and Rocks Forretress has set up. Additionally, Chandelure can eat up fire moves with Flash Fire that would destroy Forretress.
The only issue I have with this is Chandelure likes to run Infiltrator for Pokémon that want threaten your team with a substitute. Having Flash Fire means you'll lose out on that, and usually, Infiltrator is one of the big reasons you use Chandelure. Otherwise, great Balance core :3.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

TENTACRUEL + BRONZONG
For all archetypes - mostly Balanced ones

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze*

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hypnosis / Toxic
- Iron Head
- Psywave / Earthquake

*Haze can be replaced by any other filler move depending on your needs.

These Pokemon have been working well together (especially that I have used that core in my numerous team variations) since last generation such that this core is worth sharing once again. However, allow me to share you my updated take on this core such that it can adapt to numerous archetypes, from Stall to Bulky Offense.

Tentacruel needs no introduction as to how much utility this Pokemon provides and all that jazz. If you were not aware, what sets this Tentacruel apart is its EV spread such that it can outrun maximum Speed Mamoswine without sacrificing much bulk.

You might want to blame me for running Hypnosis on Bronzong on multiple teams already (I started the Hypnosis Bronzong trend one generation before the rise of Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree lel), but this move, while a very risky move to use due to its 60% accuracy, remains as the integral move for any team inclined towards offense. Putting opposing Pokemon to sleep through Bronzong's Hypnosis puts the opponent into a very precarious position, giving the team an ample time to set up. For defensive archetypes, on the other hand, where bulky Pokemon dominate, Toxic is more preferable.

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

A classic ORAS defensive core that still works in SM. Alobliss has already been talked about plenty. Huge wish passing, heal bell, stealth rocks etc. The addition of Doublade really helps round out the Alobliss core by checking many things that can break through it such as Coba, Hawlucha, Terrakion and Scizor(without knock off). Doublade also gives a wincon if you go with SD or a decent pursuit trapper of latias(which CM latias can be a pain in the ass to Alobliss unless its toxic'd). Shadow Sneak provides nice priority and helps patch up Doublade's rubbish speed.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic/ Knock off

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock/ Heal Bell

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Hi everyone, this is my first forum post and I wanted to talk about the Mega Sceptile and Infernape offensive core. This core is something I made recently while making a Mega Sceptile team. I found that Mega Sceptile has a hard time dealing with bulky Steel types, so I knew I needed a fire type. It also has problems with Weavile, so a Fighting type would be nice to have as well. With that in mind, I knew I had to add Infernape to the team, as it helps with things. But, what does Sceptile do for Infernape? It takes out all the bulky waters like Almomola and Swampert. To support this core, you may want Pokemon that cover the ground types that aren't weak to grass, such as Gliscor and Nidoking, as well as something for Tentacruel. You'll also need a Steel type as Scarf Latias rips this core apart. Even with these weaknesses, this core still covers a large amount of the meta game, and is very fun to use.

Edit: This core also has a hard time dealing with Togekiss unless you're Iron Fist Thunder Punch Infernape, so bring something for Togekiss.
These sets are just examples I used on my team. If you don't need Scarf Infernape, feel free to use a different set, but just make sure it has the Fire and Fighting coverage.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Balanced Core
Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Facade / Body Slam
- Fire Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 76 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Taunt / U-turn

This is a neat balanced core that I like using quite a bit. Snorlax serves as a special sponge here, switching into and tanking hits from strong special attackers such as Primarina and CM Latias, while also having semi-reliable recovery in Gluttony Figy Berry + Recycle, while also acting as a win condition late-game with Curse. Gliscor helps with Snorlax's Fighting-type weakness, checking prominent Fighters such as Cobalion and Scarf Infernape pretty well, while also checking other threats to Snorlax like CB Scizor. Snorlax can switch into most special hits that Gliscor wouldn't want to eat so they work pretty well together. I'd recommend a better check to CB Nape and other strong physical Fires because those slice through Gliscor pretty easily, so a bulky Water like Slowbro or RestTalk Cune can work well with this core. Moveset on Gliscor is pretty interchangeable because it is Gliscor, if you already have a SRock user TauntToxic can act as a clean stallbreaker. Overall I think this is a pretty decent balanced core that shows off an underrated mon in Snorlax. (Seriously this mon is clean use it more)

+

Good defensive core (and potentially offensive)
Only mold breaker mons with eq can break through this core and those are few and far between, especially in UU. Rotom-W is a very customization mon and is very free alongside A-Muk. With AV A-Muk your Rotom-W should either be specs, scarf or physically defensive (Physically defensive is my personal favourite.) Muk pursuit traps Latias and Mega Latias which walls Rotom-W and with willo-wisp/toxic/pain split you can wear down mons to the point they die to shadow sneak or pursuit from Muk. This core can poison and burn appropriate responses and swap very well into each other each both having only one weakness (considering levitate on Rotom-W) A Knock off mon in UU is also quite valuable and it being stab is even nicer with A-Muk.

Good mons to pair this core alongisde:
Celebi, Mega Sceptile, Tsareena, Talonflame, Mega Aerodactyl

Last edited:
Megatron (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Delta Airlines (Latias) (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Sunnyside Up (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

This is a really good Defensive core to run along side your main offensive pokes on balance teams. Mega Aggron, Blissey, and Latias all cover each other's weaknesses in the meta bar dark types but the sheer bulk of Mega Aggron and Blissey make offensive dark types usually no issue. This core is amazing at dealing slow chip damage using Seismic Toss Blissey, Soul Dew 3 attacks Latias, and 3 Attacks Mega Aggron. Not to mention stealth rocks works amazing with this core when Blissey and Mega Aggron tend to force things out a lot of the time. Latias can be changed to a Calm Mind variant to make this core more balanced if needed or even a defog variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)