Walrus Walrus: The Movie

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In 35th: SketchUp

Robert Ashley - The Park
40/100

This song is what the concept of slam poetry would sound like if slam poetry were personified in musical form. This is not a good thing. The backing instrumentals are nice enough but fairly generic lounge-type stuff, and I understand the intent behind the guy’s delivery but it just sounds like he’s constantly falling asleep. Frankly, so am I - this song is 21 minutes of the same thing and having to listen to it multiple times was basically cruel and unusual punishment.

Ampharos

In 34th: t om

Lupe Fiasco - Jump ft. Gizzle
45/100

So here’s the deal. I, like… don’t like trap. At all. And I kinda get that the whole point of this song is that it isn’t supposed to be trap? But the whole thing is still over a trap beat, and said beat is kinda… really bad. The actual rapping is fine - apparently they’re in space, which is pretty great. But 50% of the song receiving essentially a goose egg is not going to help your score here.

Ampharos

In 33rd: Alette

The Danish Girl OST - Gerda
50/100

OK, so I know you were going for the whole “music paints a picture” type-thing when you sent me an instrumental for what was essentially a storytelling category, but then you forgot to have the music ACTUALLY paint a picture here. What I have here is a completely unobtrusive backing piece for a film I’ve never seen. It’s not bad, it’s just kinda… there.

Ampharos

In 32nd: Dave

The Streets - Turn the Page
55/100

This song has the opposite of the problem that t om’s had - I absolutely love this beat, and absolutely cannot get behind the flow of the lyrics. It’s like… that’s not how rhythm actually works, dude. You can’t just say words whenever you want and assume it’ll work out. And I know that’s not ACTUALLY what he’s doing but it’s certainly what it feels like. Very hard to actually get into because of that.

Ampharos

In 31st: Shad

Boris - Introduction
58/100

You basically just sent me 9 minutes of the same guitar note with some semi-interesting textures overlaid. This is how far semi-interesting gets you. Great as an atmospheric piece, less so as a song.

Ampharos

In 30th: Xicor

Eminem - Hailey's Song
60/100

There are some Eminem songs that I really like (hi, Stan). This is not one of them. As Mr. Mathers so kindly informs us himself at the beginning of the song, he can’t sing. The beat itself is pretty ok. The melody is pretty ok. Eminem just can’t sing. Improves when he actually starts rapping, but it’s too little too late.

Ampharos

In 29th: MyNameIsNothing

La Dispute - I See Everything
63/100

Neat story. Kinda hate how it’s delivered. The backing track is pretty cool, and the story itself is powerful enough to earn this a lot of points, but I’m finding it really hard to get behind the vocal style of this song. The breakdown especially was… not so good. But the overall package is a neat song.

Ampharos

In 27th: Granny Pie

Acoustimandobrony - Generosity
68/100

I tried really hard to divorce this from the context of “it’s an MLP song”. It didn’t work. More than that, it honestly sounds like a whole lot of mid-00s pop rock. Fairly generic, is what I’m trying to say. There were some cool vocal things going on during the chorus, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the vocalist(s?) individually. Could have been worse, I suppose. Earned a few points back near the end for the female vocalist, who is easily the best part of the song.

Ampharos

In 25th: eleanor60

Yellowcard - Cigarette
70/100

Not what I expected when I saw “Yellowcard” on my submissions sheet. I have a lot of trouble getting into slower acoustic stuff, so this is working pretty well for me, all things considered. The violin that kicks in and some of the vocal harmonies push this a bit higher for me, so kudos to that, I suppose.

Ampharos

In 24th: Asek

Tom Waits - Going Out West
71/100

Tom Waits is, with a few exceptions, someone whose voice I absolutely cannot stand. Luckily for you, this would seem to be one of the exceptions - probably because he’s actually SINGING this one instead of just screaming the whole thing. It’s repetitive and fairly conventional in structure, which probably holds it back a bit, but it’s definitely pretty cool.

Ampharos

In 23rd: Da Letter El

Slint - Good Morning, Captain
72/100

Pretty cool. Pretty WEIRD. But pretty cool. I’ll give it a pass on being somewhat repetitive because I think that’s sort of the point, and it works ok. The storytelling style was neat, but nothing especially phenomenal. The vocals that kicked in near the end were pretty much just bad. Overall a neat song.

Ampharos

In 22nd: Aladyyn

Slough Feg - High Passage/Low Passage
73/100

Held back from a (potentially much) higher score because the drum track sounds weirdly compressed and it’s bugging the hell out of me. I understand that they’re programmed but surely they could still be of better sound quality? Idk. Anyways the guitar is fucking sick and the vocals work for the genre. Good energy from this song.

Ampharos

In 19th: Thingyman

Morrisey - Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage
76/100

The first time I listened to this it was about 5:45 in the morning and the whole package of Morrisey in 2017 + lazily drifting vocals + surreal-ish music video made the whole experience feel like a fever dream. If nothing else, it was memorable. Anyways, song’s pretty good. Like the vibes. Can’t believe Morrisey’s still making music, if we’re being honest.

Ampharos

In 15th: Fable

Heather Dale - Mordred's Lullaby
80/100

“The Secret World of Celtic Rock”, huh? Think I’m a fan of this supposed secret world. The vocals are hauntingly good, the backing track is interesting without being overpowering, and I get the feeling it’s aiming to get the maximum value possible from its vocal storytelling, which is a good look. Really cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)