Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Came across this in a blog. This person reached 2211 rating in Season 11.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / some spdef / some speed
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Sheer Cold
- Roost

Sounds fun to face.

Actually might be the best thing Articuno can do in this meta.

Source: http://ruikeith.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html
It works for Glalie and Suicune so it was only a matter of time until Articuno rose up as the next one, and it at least has reliable recovery! The 8 Sheer Cold PP would suck though, once they're gone that's it...

I soft reset and flawless timid one on my Y and have been looking for a use for it, I wonder if that would work over a SpD nature..?

---

As for my own encounters, I was saying on irc that I ran into the elusive Torrent + Toxic + Toxic Spikes Greninja (the variant that made it to 2200+ on someone's team a few seasons ago) the other day. I switched my Chansey into it hoping to tank its moves but copped a Toxic and then it set up T-Spikes before bringing in a Substitute Gengar. That battle didn't go so well is all I'm saying...

Doublade @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Flash Cannon (wtf dude)
- Swagger

this...heresy.
It'd make sense if it was an aegis, but he "forgot" to evolve it.
And what's up with swagger?

I'd almost think that he was causal, but his other pokemon were normal pokemon you'd run into in Battle Spot.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ran into this the other day and it swept me:

Crustle @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: ??? (prob 252 Atk / 252 Spe or something)
??? Nature (prob Naive)
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power ???
- Earthquake

I have no idea what the Hidden Power was but it hit my Heatran not-very-effectively. My guess is Ice (good for stuff like Garchomp and Landog), or Grass (for Suicune and friends). Anyway yeah I couldn't do shit to this thing. Just another day of unexpected stuff destroying me on the lower ladder #dreamtobreak1600

Ran into this the other day and it swept me:

Crustle @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: ??? (prob 252 Atk / 252 Spe or something)
??? Nature (prob Naive)
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power ???
- Earthquake

I have no idea what the Hidden Power was but it hit my Heatran not-very-effectively. My guess is Ice (good for stuff like Garchomp and Landog), or Grass (for Suicune and friends). Anyway yeah I couldn't do shit to this thing. Just another day of unexpected stuff destroying me on the lower ladder #dreamtobreak1600
Wow thats a weird set. I agree with the unexpected stuff on the lower ladder. I even find that whenever i break 1600 things get far more easier as stuff will be far more common and you can predict better what to do or expect.

I know this is a big bump. I'm sorry. I just need to post this because I'm still reeling in disbelief.

In a Doubles match against a ~1700 player, it came down to my Excadrill vs. his Thundurus, both in red. By the way he had been playing earlier on, I could tell he was anxious to get rid of Exca, presumably because Thundy can't touch it. About to win, right? About to get that satisfying KO with Iron Head, right? (I don't trust Rock Slide's 90% accuracy in this situation.)

Thundurus.
Used.
Focus Blast.

I was expecting HP Ice (Which, admittedly, would have had the exact same effect in the scenario), but still... Focus Blast Thundurus. That is most definitely not something I planned for. Even more annoying, it actually hit!

(In the very previous battle to that one, I faced a team with a Mesprit. I had no idea what it did... it turned out to be Trick Room. That, combined with Sub Rock Slide Mega Mawile and Encore Raichu (which I guess is pretty standard) messed me up pretty hard as well.)

You have no idea how much I wish I could have saved the replays. Unfortunately, the VS. Recorder was full at the time. GF really needs to add a "Delete another video to save this one" function to Sun/Moon.

I know this is a big bump. I'm sorry. I just need to post this because I'm still reeling in disbelief.

In a Doubles match against a ~1700 player, it came down to my Excadrill vs. his Thundurus, both in red. By the way he had been playing earlier on, I could tell he was anxious to get rid of Exca, presumably because Thundy can't touch it. About to win, right? About to get that satisfying KO with Iron Head, right? (I don't trust Rock Slide's 90% accuracy in this situation.)

Thundurus.
Used.
Focus Blast.

I was expecting HP Ice (Which, admittedly, would have had the exact same effect in the scenario), but still... Focus Blast Thundurus. That is most definitely not something I planned for. Even more annoying, it actually hit!

(In the very previous battle to that one, I faced a team with a Mesprit. I had no idea what it did... it turned out to be Trick Room. That, combined with Sub Rock Slide Mega Mawile and Encore Raichu (which I guess is pretty standard) messed me up pretty hard as well.)

You have no idea how much I wish I could have saved the replays. Unfortunately, the VS. Recorder was full at the time. GF really needs to add a "Delete another video to save this one" function to Sun/Moon.
Mespy will fuck shit up, I ran it a while back and adore it. Bulk is good, coverage is great, power is better than you'd expect. Speed is ehhhhh though.
Encore is standard on Raichu yeah. Thunderbolt / Encore / Fake Out / HP Ice, Protect, or Nuzzle is all it runs tbh.

Mespy will fuck shit up, I ran it a while back and adore it. Bulk is good, coverage is great, power is better than you'd expect. Speed is ehhhhh though.
Encore is standard on Raichu yeah. Thunderbolt / Encore / Fake Out / HP Ice, Protect, or Nuzzle is all it runs tbh.
Actually, this one was running Volt Tackle, which OHKO'd my Gardevoir. I wasn't as suprised by that because it's quite common in VGC 2016 for handling Kyogre.

Also, what set did you run on Mesprit? I wouldn't mind trying it myself considering how much it threw me off guard.

Last edited:
Actually, this one was running Volt Tackle, which OHKO'd my Gardevoir. I wasn't as suprised by that because it's quite common in VGC 2016 for handling Kyogre.

Also, what set did you run on Mesprit? I wouldn't mind trying it myself considering how much it threw me off guard.
Ah, yeah, Tackle is a thing now for VGC.
My Mespy was objectively weird, as it wasn't TR, Scarf, or Specs. It was kind of a glue mon on my late Gen 5 team, but the set more or less still works:

Mesprit @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 HP, 4 Def, 140 Sp. Atk, 92 Sp. Def, 20 Speed
Ability: Levitate

- Psychic
- Protect / HP Fire (just tweak the EVs)
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Spread is old, so the benchmarks are archaic:

> Survives Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios (back when Draco had 140 power and Gems existed), and dodges the 2HKO from Hitmontop's Sucker Punch (back when Hitmontop existed outside of Triples).
> Outruns 4 Speed Gyarados / Milotic; actually relevent nowadays.
> Offensively, OHKO's Terrakion, Garchomp, and Gyarados, while 2HKOing just about anything that takes SE damage.

Trick Room sets on Mespy take advantage of its good bulk that is hard to OHKO (it survives virtually any unSTAB'd Knock Off), while being a stronger offense than most TR setters. Coverage helps a lot too; HP Fire can be added in if you need to hit Ferrothorn.
Basically, the only reason to use Mespy over Cress ever is if you need to OHKO Landog, Garchomp, etc. instead of a 2HKO with Ice Beam/Icy Wind.

Its just a tanky Psychic type really. Speed lets it work on a Tailwind team or with T-Wave support, and can just barely work on TR. Most common set I'm aware of is Trick+Scarf. I used my set because my team needed to cover Landog, Garchomp, Gyarados, Terrakion, and Hitmontop quickly and wrap it into one slot, still could/should of used Cress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)