Serious What do you think there is when we die?

What do you think there is after we die?
Nothing? Or some sort of nirvana?

I honestly have no idea, and am just browsing here. I have been brought up as a minority section of Christianity, but sometimes it all seems a little bit iffy…
Also, following that, what then is the best moral route to take on earth?

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cong rules thread said:
2. Content and Organization: [...] In an opening post, we expect you to introduce a topic of discussion and your own thoughts in response. [...]
Magikingdra please ammend the OP so that it follows the rules of the forum. I’ll be lenient this time because it’s your first time posting a thread here, but make sure to read the forum-specific rules thread before posting in future.

Anyway, I’m not a religious guy and I don’t believe that there is any kind of afterlife. That said, I find it extremely hard to percieve what death would be like because I don‘t know what conciousness is. What happens to my conciousness when I die? Does it just flick off? But if it did there would just be pure nothingness, which is such an abstract concept in and of itself that it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. You are just in a sea of blackness and silence, but at the same time the concepts of blackness and silence don’t exist if you can’t concieve them, which requires conciousness. There is loads more that I have no idea how to possibly articulate, and as such I’ll leave it there. It’s just plain weird.

"Heaven and hell seem out of proportion to me: the actions of men do not deserve so much."
As quoted in Borges Verbal (1999) edited by Pilar Bravo and Mario Paoletti, p. 156
Jorge Luis Borges

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Nobody knows but looking at near death experience research sure is interesting. Maybe it is just confirmation bias or maybe there really is something after. Don't hold your breath we all will know for sure sooner or later.

I'm including a couple links if anyone would like to learn more about NDEs:

http://www.near-death.com/science/experts/melvin-morse.html
http://skeptiko.com/94-jeffrey-long-near-death-experience-research/
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-science-of-near-death-experiences/386231/

Namion

formerly Scrubchoo
I would like to think there is a heaven or hell, but of course no one can be sure. Maybe its just darkness... Hopefully not though.

I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as long as it's presided over by a benevolent deity and not one that says you deserve eternal suffering for existing or not following them or whatever.

But if not, you probably don't consciously exist anymore, so it doesn't really matter.

I did some soul-searching and apparently the afterlife is an infinite array of elevators and floors

the elevators lead to infinite floors and the floors lead to infinite elevators

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)