What musical instruments are you interested in playing?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Hi, I'd like the start a thread on instruments you are interested.
===================

I'll start off: right now, I'm interested in this new Yamaha gadget called the Yamaha Venova.

It's not released yet, but it sounds promising.
It's a single reed instrument with recorder fingering but sounds like oboe/ saxophone.

I read some discussion on the internet that it sounds a lot like Nuvo jSax.

People are saying that they think jSax sound better, but I can hear that jSax's intonation is not exactly correct. Some notes are off.

So, with Yamaha Venova coming from Yamaha, the intonation sounds promising. As I didn't notice anything off in the demo videos so far.

However, I've never played any reed instrument.
I don't know if I'll sound right if I play a reed instrument.

Can one describe how to blow air into a reed instrument at all?
===========

Another thing I'm interested is the Yangqin (also called Chinese Dulcimer)
I think I like how it sounds.

My dad said he's interested in giving me money to learn this instrument.
Because it is similar to the piano in concept, but doesn't use fingers to play.

A few years ago, I injured a finger on each of my hands when I was preparing for my piano diploma.
10 years ago, I was qualified to teach piano. But as years passed, many others have obtained the same qualification as me, and there's way more supply than demand.
So I worked on a more advanced level, but ended up injuring my fingers.
My fingers still hurt now, so I shouldn't hope to play piano anymore... at least not competitively/ professionally.

So, after discussion with some people, they suggested that the Chinese Dulcimer could be an instrument I could start playing.

But I'm slightly worried about it-- it being a traditional Chinese instrument means that very few people are interested in hearing it, not to mention learn it.
It's also not recognized in the West.
(I have plans to move back to the UK if I marry my current boyfriend)

So, learning it may end up being useless.

So... does this instrument interest you in any way?
Does it sound good to you?

Let me know.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't touched the piano in 11 years (since my grade 8 ABRSM exam lmao), but I think at some point I'd like to just start playing again. Would probably have to start from scratch, though, which is fine because I went through my ABRSM exams more or less sight reading everything anyway...

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am interested in playing the piano... well... I am playing on the piano but I can't wait until I get so much better... if I ever will...

The only problem I feel is that I don't have a piano at home. I can only play on my small casio keyboard or on my dad's workstation (which is so hard to play on, jesus, even my small casio keyboard is easier to play on).

I only get to play on a real piano when me and my family go to my uncle's house on holidays and stuff, on the "play me" piano in the train station, or when I see a pianos store.

Jesus, I can't explain how damn easier it is to play on a real piano. Those casio keyboards are nice but when it comes to playing seriously, they are so annoying to play on.

Anyways, my level right now is playing pieces like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata (including 3rd movement), Bach's Toccata and Fugue and Chopin's Funeral March and I am the pianist in my school's band but I would love being able to play pieces such as Chopin's Prelude in D minor. A pretty long way to go... all I can really do is practice on my casio keyboard and pray we go to my uncle's house more often.

Conni

katharsis
I can play the piano well and I have played it for 10 years so I guess I'm interested in that but not as something I can't play
But I'm interested in playing the trumpet because its a cool instrument and jazz sounds nice imo so I would be interested in trying to learn to play it.

I was a huge fan of jazz since i was a tiny one, which is why i learned to drum, play piano, and play saxophone. Ive never learned how to play a string instrument and ppl tell me if i know how to play piano, guitar will come easy. Also guitar chords sound nice af

Ever since I was a kid all of my favorite music almost always had some amazing bass line behind it. I just love the way the electric bass sounds and what it can do behind some good guitar or vocals.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I currently play electric guitar, vocals, and electric bass.
I'm interested in learning to play drums, acoustic guitar (yes, the playing techniques are completely different from electric), keys, electric violin, and saxophone.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I play french horn in Bb and tenor horn in Eb atm, which is ok, (the latter means I can fill in for any brass instruments barring trombone), but only playing brass does leave me kinda restricted with regards to the types of music I am able to make. With this in mind, I hope to start playing piano (opens up piano, harpsichord, synthesisers etc.), guitar, and bass. If by some miracle I manage to learn all of these, I might attempt learning a bowed string instrument (prolly cello) and/or harp and/or drums and/or something used in foreign classical (most likely Indian or Japanese classical 'cause they're the best sounding ones imo).

My goal isn't really that realistic, but it's a cool thouht regardless hahaha.

I started piano lessons in 1st grade and only played for about a year. Knowing how to read music made a g0d at the recorder though, and then shortly after I started playing violin (4th grade) and have been playing since. I really wish I could pick piano back up again, but it's too hard lol. Every time I try to get better at piano I just get discouraged and go back to practicing violin D: I think I'd always rather just be really good at violin than pretty good at violin and piano.

I really want to learn the Piano. The only instrument I can still play is the classical guitar which was difficult because the nylon strings gave me bad blisters starting out. I haven't played in a bit, but I used to play mostly because It would calm me down and to clear my thoughts whenever something challenging was facing my way. I haven't been properly taught, so all of my experience with classical guitar has been by ear, I can't really read music notes so I just play by ear and try to duplicate it.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I've been playing guitar for more than four years now, im a self-taught guitarist though so while i might consider myself an ok player, im sure i dont have a perfect guitar technique, although i can compare myself to other guitarists i know irl and i can say i have a decent technique. Not to say im better but ykno. Either way i will take guitar lessons from september to improve my technique and things like that. I also want to learn to play piano (probably when i get a keyboard in july) and the mandolin, which i think its an underrated instrument.

Matame

New Rules
I'm a self taught pianist and fsr in the last year I've kinda lost interested but I wanna start playing it again and as a result get significantly better. I actually rly want to learn violin but I don't have the money to do so rn

I always wanted to pick up the violin or the piano, and I even went so far as having my parents get me a cheapo electric piano years back that's currently gathering dust. I also got a violin around a year ago, but I never got around to getting lessons. It's honestly a big regret of mine that I never got around to learning either and I hope I can get into a violin class in the following few months because the violin's basically sitting brand new in my closet, silently judging me.

I have been playing guitar for like 6 or 7 years. Im actually improving my piano skills. Sadly, I dont have enough time to attend classes but in my free time I like to learn from music theory and harmony :]

PD: That Yamaha new gadget looks cool eventho im not a fan of wind instruments

Last edited:
Viola/Violin, I feel like mastering them is crazy hard but so that sound is so rewarding. Next would probably be an MPC, I feel like once you got through the learning curve it would be so much fun experimenting with different sounds and even combining ideas together seems very practical.

I've been making music for years, and have always loved it. If there's one thing that I want to properly learn how to do, it's clean sing. I'm a competent harsh vocalist, have a variety of styles and have been screaming since I was 15 years old (so approaching a decade of experience now), but clean vocals are something I've always struggled on because the methods of breath control are so different.

Thanys

Banned deucer.
Hello, Good Afternoon, I have a lot of desire to learn to play the piano, I think this instrument wonderful, the songs are wonderful, I intend to play for my boyfriend in the future and for my friends :)

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Hey there!
Actually, I never had any real interest in playing musicial instrument, I just thought they were not worth it, but then I came across the 'violin cover' of My heart will go on and instantly it struck my heart.

The way one plays violin looks so beautiful to me and honestly, it seems complex to master violin l, but I have this inner feeling that's saying 'you can do it'.

Currently, I'm trying to convince my parents to get me a violin and get me info some local musicial school for starters.

I hope it turns out well, any violinist wanna give me any tip about playing violin?

Gracie's!

I like making music too. I have a piano, keyboard and acoustic guitar at the moment but would love to learn the saxophone, vibraphone and, most definitely the harp. If only I had more money (and more room inside my small house).

My keyboard is also Yamaha btw.

I would love to choose guitar as my favorite musical instrument. The guitar has always been viewed as a musical instrument associated with glitz, glamor and an instrument to impress anyone or to show off on stage by many. Better way to learn guitar is to consult a reputed musical instrument store(https://plus.google.com/102642981778688407461) as they have professionals that provide music lessons. Hope to learn soon!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)