Project What's His Last? V4 (Round 24 Voting Phase: Semi-Stall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'm really hoping this last is a ground immunity that isn't steamrolled by Excadrill......

Edit: Grounds in general

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
littlelucario wishes from my personal experience (I host both UU and NU What's His Last) bogstandard HO is never the way to go with this project. It makes the submissions kind-of boring and less diverse, although I can't speak all that much for OU since I don't really play it; just something to keep in mind.

Posting this because littlelucario said 'dw guys ill do offense next week'

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Landorus-T gives you a Ground immunity so that you don't get 6-0ed by Excadrill. In exchange, play carefully with your Venusaur if you don't want to get pressured too much by Weavile/ Bisharp.

EDIT: How did I forgot about Bisharp

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Skarmory @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes / Defog
- Counter / Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

So you don't get completely owned by Excadrill or Bisharp

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Some constructive criticism: For this thread, I think the team selections or members removed from a team need to be selected or thought about more carefully. Every round, I feel like the teams have very obvious weaknesses or issues patched up by only very specific members. This leads to few options to actually pick from, which then leads to a lack of overall submissions and activity. While it's not always possible, it's ideal to pick teams or remove members that allow for a decent number of diverse options for people to choose from and submit. The fun of this thread is having to actually think about what the final member is, and in many rounds, the challenge of doing this has been low. To demonstrate this, I went through the majority of the rounds and discussed some things in hide tags below:
Round 13: Mega Ampharos / Skarmory / Clefable / Talonflame / Hippowdon - Because Talonflame is on the team, there is only one option for the final member: a hazard remover (Skarm lacked Defog here). The team also lacks a bulky water, and Starmie is the undisputed ideal choice to help with threats like Heatran and others. Starmie ended up winning. The actual final member was Tentacruel if I'm not mistaken, but I only know this because the team was actually posted in another OU forum project prior to the day of this round.

Round 16: Mega Lopunny / Hoopa-U / Landorus-T / Rotom-W / Latios - The team lacks a steel. The obvious conclusion is the final member is a steel type to help the team deal with fairies and threats like Latios. This only leaves very few options to realistically choose from for this team.

Round 17: Skarmory / Mega Gardevoir / Tyranitar / Keldeo / Gliscor - It's well known how these teams are constructed. The team relies on Keldeo as the water resistance and a grass type is the natural choice as the final member to patch this and other issues up. This, again, only leaves so many options to choose from, with only three submissions ending up posted during this round.

Round 18: Tangrowth / Heatran / Mega Latias / Landorus-T / Terrakion - A well known team at the time of posting, with the actual final member being Hoopa-U (who was banned then). Realistically, a water type like Keldeo or Rotom-W is the only viable option for the remaining member with Hoopa-U banned. This doesn't leave many options to pick from, and the submissions for the round reflected this.

Round 19: Jellicent / Skarmory / Hippowdon / Excadrill / Clefable - The team has some clear weaknesses, such as Charizard-Y, reliance on Jellicent as the sole water resistance, difficulty breaking through opposing Skarmory, and trouble with grass types like Mega Venusaur and Serperior. The team also lacks a mega. Put this together and you only really have one or two realistic options that can viably help with all or some of the issues: Mega Latias or Charizard-X. This also lead to a lack of submissions.

Round 20: Charizard-X / Mamoswine / Serperior / Latias / Cobalion - This team has a lot of weaknesses that I won't go into, but the most evident ones are Talonflame and a lack of a reliable answer to threats like Excadrill. The team also lacks a water. Only one Pokemon can address these issues and others while fitting the team's nature: Rotom-W. This ended up winning, and other submissions aside from Rotom-W didn't really stand much of a chance.

Round 21: Mega Houndoom / Amoonguss / Landorus-T / Jirachi / Latios - Lacks a water, which any offensive team like this one will likely have. Like other posters mentioned during this round, Rotom-W is the only real option for the final member to patch up several weaknesses (like Talonflame) and give Mega Houndoom chances to come in freely.

Round 23: Mega Venusaur / Heatran / Doublade / Starmie / Clefable - The currently ongoing round. As others already mentioned, the biggest issue is a lack of a ground immunity and weakness to things like Bisharp. This realistically leaves very few options, with Gliscor (my guess as well) being pointed out very quickly. From there, there's not much room for other submissions to compete.
In many of the instances above, I think removing a different member than what was chosen would have increased the challenge of guessing the final member and have lead to more activity/varied submissions. I don't mean to cause drama, but rather provide some food for thought to think about moving forward to enhance the quality of this project.

Here's a submission for this round:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic / Knock Off

Mandibuzz provides a ground immunity while being able to threaten the likes of Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Excadrill by using Foul Play. Mandibuzz further helps the team by checking other dangerous Pokemon like Gengar, who does a number to every member. Its weakness to fairies and electrics are checked nicely by other team members like Mega Venusaur, and because Starmie is the team's spinner, there's freedom to use Toxic or Knock as the final move.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The mod team has decided to reassign this project.

Thanks to littlelucario for the effort he put into running it, but we want to go in a different direction with the host.

If you are interested in running this thread, please send a PM to me. In your application PM, please share the first team you intend to use for the revamp. Include a description of the team, which member you will remove, and why this is the member you chose to remove. You may PM me saying you are interested but haven't chosen a team yet if you want some time to think about that, just remember to follow up. I would rather you take your time and think it through rather than do it too quickly just on the premise that you want me to know you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)