Project What's Their Last? v2 Week 5: Double Dance Mew BO (Submission Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
And that's the end of this round, Electrium Zap is the winner this time! Congrats yuruuu for winning, though the actual last was CM Tapu Lele. Still a very solid submission and I like the synergy Zap has with Pelipper, my main concern with it was the fact that it's another breaker trapped by Tyranitar just like Pelipper which would make the team susceptible to ttar teams.

Round 4: Blacephalon Bulky Offense

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost
This is a fun Blacephalon offense team I put together the other day with AV Bulu+Tyranitar as a good backbone, Landorus-T for speed control and emergency Defog and Hawlucha to improve the offense matchup. The question is... what's their last?

Reserving Rotom-W

I'm not really sure on which Rotom-W set this would be exactly since this team does lack a z-move and can annoy Toxapex a lot for this team which it struggles against a bit and thus offensive Rotom-W is possible but it also wants a sturdier check to things like Heatran and Fly-Z lando so i think that both are good options here, they also provide a nice volt-turn core with lando-t for the team allowing Blacephalon and Mega Tar to come in without having to take damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo
I would never have expected Tapu Lele on a team with both Mega Scizor and Ash-Greninja, lol

Now this round is completely weird. The build lacks a water and a steel, and the only Pokemon that fulfils this criteria is Empoleon which, while I love, does not really fit. I can only imagine that you would do better by replacing Hawlucha. 3 water weaknesses alongside a resist that doesn't like risking Scald is also not my kind of build. I really cannot think of a good Pokemon that would fit here. Not going to enter this round, just pointing out some stuff.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Pex synergises really well with the Bulu/Lucha core. Toxic spikes + Scald burns help wear down the opposing team for Lucha to sweep late game. Clutch scald burns can also help Lucha set up, allowing it to tank a hit it normally couldn't. A t-spikes absorber is also great since this teams defensive back bone is grounded and lacks actual recovery (grassy terrain + horn leech will only get you so far). Also, Scarf Lando is an ok defogger, but certanly not the best. Hazard stacking the opponent with rocks and t-spikes will entice them to defog for you. Regenerator + black sludge + recover + grassy terrain means Pex litterally won't die lol, especially with eq doing half damage. Bulu resists all of Pex's weaknesses bar psychic while Pex resists all of Bulu's weaknesses bar flying, two types Ttar just so happens to handle. Lopunny is a bit of a problem for this team cuz Bulu is its only switch in but PuP into +1 Return does like 73% min so Bulu can easily get overwhelmed and chiped into range. The only other option is to get Lucha in while grassy terrain is still up and pull the trigger so Pex helps in this regard.
Max SpD cuz standard spread is standard for a reason. A more PhysDef spread can be used cuz stuff like Ash-Gren and Diancie are already handled by Bulu so the extra SpD bulk isin't as necessary. I wouldn't go any lower than 120 SpD (calm nature) tho so you can still avoid the 2HKO from Ash-Gren.

Last edited:
Edit: Make the SG Magearna

Magearna @ Psychium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power FIre
- Synchronoise
- Shift Gear

While Shift Gear Magearna is getting rarer, this team needs a Steel type desparately, and even though SG Magearna isn't the best Lele check, with Mega TTar + Bulu it fits fine. This set is taken from Ban Manaphy's post in snake discussion, with a slash on HP Fire because Scizor annoys the team. Generally Heatran complements TTar Bulu backbones really well, in this case it is redundant because of Blacephalon. No other solid Lele check works in this team as AV Mage is straight up redundant with AV Bulu + ScarfLando, Celesteela could fit, but it makes the team struggle immensely against Toxapex in addition to being a balance with AV Bulu + ScarfLando as its only defogger. The team is also really weak to fat Poisons (Toxapex), SG Mage gives a way to kill Toxapex with rocks up, and give Lucha an easier time in addition to the rest of the team. A lategame wincon will complement the team as well if ScarfLando isn't able to clean due to a solid defensive answer, and also uses the teams open Z Move slot.

252+ SpA Magearna Shattered Psyche (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Toxapex: 260-306 (85.5 - 100.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Tokyo Sonata

formerly Toanyone
Keldeo

Keldeo @ Normalium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hyper Beam

Keeping in mind that Tyranitar creates an effective core with Keldeo, since both eliminate certain threats such as Latios / as in order to facilitate Keldeo's help. As the team is offensive and it is fun to play, I added the set with Normalium Z. This is thought to be able to do more with those common counters that take a lot like Toxapex or Fini. It is also an escape for everything Tangrowth or Amoonguss. It depends a lot on CM to be able to have an increase and hit the target hard. As options you can sacrifice CM for Sub or Taunt which can be useful against stall or mons passives.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Ok forums are finally back so we can start the voting phase, these are our 4 options:

Rotom-W—ThiccTornadus
Toxapex—Leucopis
Shift Gear Psychium Magearna—vsomani
Normalium Z Keldeo—Toanyone

Voting ends in 2 days, let's go!

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Nobody closed this, so I figure it's still ok to vote on this round (if not oh well my bad).

I'm gonna vote for toxapex as it really fits on this kind of build. I have to say I would like to see a steel type on this team, just an offensive Magearna with Synchronoise isn't what I had in mind. There are a few smaller changes I'd make to fit a Steel in the original five + adding pex as the last. However, credit where credit is due the team needs pex to function effectively.

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Apologies to everyone for the delay, I've been pretty busy these last couple of days with irl stuff and didn't have time to close this earlier. Just got home so Winner+Next Round are going up tomorrow

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Took a while but Voting Phase is now over, congrats to Leucopis on winning this week by 1 vote with his Toxapex submission and also getting it right! The original team had Knock Off Pex but I think sedertz is right about Toxic being superior here, good job nonetheless. That aside, I liked the Rotom-W submission and used it a bit with this team, it's a nice Defogger that can gain momentum for Blace with Volt Switch and definitely worth trying. Psychium Magearna was an interesting last for this team and I appreciate the creativity, just doesn't really seem to fit to me like Toxapex or Rotom do, it's another wincon that doesn't provide as much to the team as you could with the last slot. Lastly, Keldeo is a mon that didn't cross my mind when building this but that I could see working in the right matchups with the ttar support, though I'm not a fan of Breakneck Blitz Keld because it does very little damage to Toxapex after a boost and can't break as well as Taunt+Waterium Z Keld does.

Round 5: Double Dance Mew BO

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 24 SpA / 8 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Nature's Madness
- Superpower
- Horn Leech

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken
It's been a while since offensive Mew made a splash but it's still a very cool wincon that can catch people off guard and sweep in the right scenarios. It's paired with a defensive backbone of Landorus-T+AV Bulu, Kartana for revenge killing, Defog and being a nuisance for some offensive teams in the late-game (especially with Grassy terrain support) and Ash Greninja for more offensive pressure and Spikes. But.. what's their last?

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

mew lures clef bop and sets terrain to protect lop from prio. in return, lop punishes dark types that mew tends to lure in. i might consider tspikes gren with this since it helps with opposing mew but it's my choice. just a mon that synergizes well with this combination of 5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)