• Glameow

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 22 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's your preferred lead?

I picked Houndour for its ability to never give you a disadvantage, and also function late game or as a sleep absorber. It's so versatile, and also gets rid of greedy Munchlax with Reversal.

Onix is shortly after that though, people are surprised with Onix's Speed and sturdiness, while also being able to break Sashes with Rock Blast and Explode.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No wailmer/anorith is :(, but there are only so many you can fit in.. And even though those two are fun.. I'm going with Voltorb for its speed, pretty nice power and most importantly Explosion and Taunt. With great prediction it can even come off decently against diglett. Meowth would be so much better if not for all the Protect leads (maybe the time is ripe for SubMeowth), and still has fun with Hypnosis.

I think meowth is probably my favourite lead in little cup, as it hits something reliably on the first turn with fake out, and he's fairly fast, so you can bring him back in later on in the game to kill off the odd pokemon.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seriously, how do you leave out Anorith in something like this? It beats so many other leads that it isn't even funny, as Rock Blast breaks sashes, it can Stealth Rock, it can Spin, it can do everything and still kick ass.

Also, Makuhita is a cool lead. Fake Out / Bullet Punch / Close Combat / Ice Punch @ Flame Orb is a great bulky lead imo, and I've used it to great success recently.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
How do you leave Gastly out of this. It makes an excellent lead thanks to nice attacking options, Destiny Bond, Hypnosis, Substitute and even the always amazing Explosion. Yeah its my fav.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
the very VERY few times i play littlecup i use mewoth because i like hypnosis on a lead, even with 60% acc its still good

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
buneary is my favorite lead, hands down. Fake Out+Quick Attack is great, and 19 Speed is great too. My favorite thing about it is Klutz, though. Being able to trick a Flame Orb onto Gligar or an Iron Ball onto elekid is great.

Voltorb and Explosion is always a great way to get rid of threats, and it's extremely quick anyway so I consider it an awesome anti-lead.

Scarfed Snover is ridiculously amazing. Blizzard is such a powerful move and can OHKO frail leads like Meowth and Glameow, and the haistorm knocks their Focus Sash away. The rest of its moveset is really up to personal preference. I use Energy Ball/HP Fire/Water Pulse for the other moves since they provide pretty good coverage.

I picked 9 from the top 10 leads. Gastly is a pretty weak lead IMO (when it isn't using TR), considering you lose versus the most common lead and the third most common lead all of the time, and when you can beat another lead, you only have 60% chance to do so. That's automatically losing over a third of your matchups, not considering the leads that beat you either way.

Aipom is good, but it's lost its popularity because it isn't as effective versus a lot of leads that Meowth is effective against. However in hindsight I should have put it in. It just felt redundant with all of those FO leads there.

Anyway, that's what "other" is for.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Buneary. I love the Fake Out + Quick Attack combo, and I feel that it matches up against common leads fairly well, especially when it runs Ice Punch. Buneary has nearly swept a few teams in the past (possibly dracoyoshi's, as I remember telling someone how great Buneary is, and it would make sense that he now uses it, but i might be mistaken), and even if it doesn't I still don't regret having it in the first spot 9 times out of 10.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Diggy, gotta love the lil' shit. He easiley gives me what i need to start off the battle, and although he doen't like gligar, or missy very much they can be at least revenged by something (usually)

I like using Meowth because it gets off free Fake Outs left and right, has Bite to deal with Ghosts, U-Turn to scout, and Hypnosis to pick off threats in a mostly status absorber lacking environment. Meowth is also fairly strong after Technician boost. In fact, with good prediction using Fake Out/Bite, Meowth can actually tear up a lot of shit.

Hippopotas is also cool for Sand residual damage fun.

WHAT IS THIS LIST? No aipom. Aipom is amazing, you forgot many amazing leads. Aipom>>>>>meowth imo.
Aipom doesn't get Technician or Hypnosis.

I like using Meowth because it gets off free Fake Outs left and right, has Bite to deal with Ghosts, U-Turn to scout, and Hypnosis to pick off threats in a mostly status absorber lacking environment. Meowth is also fairly strong after Technician boost. In fact, with good prediction using Fake Out/Bite, Meowth can actually tear up a lot of shit.

Hippopotas is also cool for Sand residual damage fun.

Aipom doesn't get Technician or Hypnosis.
It can use oran berry instead of the usual focus sash. It has bulk. It has much more attack. It can use silk scarf, it can maybe use LO. Hypnosis is hardly worth it, a miss could cost you the game. Winning 60% of your games is not good. Meowth can fake out better, but what else can it do? As I have said hypnosis is very risky, and you risk mankey switching in and getting a free hit. I ran FO, u-turn, bite and hypnosis. With out hypnosis meowth becomes downright inferior, bite is needed to prevent misseyD from setting up in your face, FO is duh, and u-turn lets you get free switches. This leaves no room for anything that can hit anything hard, whereas aipom has return.

MGX does not see Phanpy.
MGX is sad :(

In all honesty, Phanpy is such a great lead: Basically, if you cant OHKO phanpy, it has done it job. Either by OHKOing or 2HKO(with Shard, which is practically like an OHKO)ing your opponents lead, or by setting up SR and THEN causing big damage to your opponent.
If you can get Phanpy out safely, Phanpy can be used as a decent tank, utilising Counter to take out enemy physical attackers like Gligar etc. Also, Phanpy will also function as a decent Crani counter lategame, even if it takes a bit of damage.
In all honesty, if Onix is up there, phanpy deserves a spot as well

Otherwise Glameow is cool too, Ive been using it on most of my teams. FO + SP is awesome for picking off frail sweepers.

But not voting until Phanpy is put up :(

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It really depends on the team, but:

I love Meowth for a generic lead. I prefer a more anti-leadish Meowth, with Fake Out/Hypnosis/Bite/Water Pulse. It doesn't have a strong reliable STAB, true, but it destroys anything that relies on using normal resistance to get a stat-up in. Water Pulse lets it crush Onix and Anorith leads while still hitting Houndour reasonably hard. It's also Meowth's best move to hit Gligar without resorting to the iv drops inherent in HP Ice 60. Hypnosis' accuracy is sketchy but sleep is often synonymous with a KO.

Voltorb is also excellent. It has more limited usage, especially against Onix leads, but it can get a quick Taunt in to stop rocks and high speed allows it to threaten and KO with Thunderbolt and/or Explosion, it can Protect against Fake Out leads and then outspeed them next turn. Static is also annoying as hell for most physical attackers, since Voltorb can be sacrificed for a chance to cripple them with paralysis.

i just love diggy, trapping is just great.
It can take out so many different leads, or just set up sr.
My version of Diglett takes out 85% or gligars health just incase it thinks it can wall me (HP Ice for Protect).
The reason behind losing Protect with quite a few fake-outs is that none of them are faster, so sucker punch kills with hp help. The only problem is that against every lead you have to predict, but it always does something for the team.

Second is Voltorb, 20 speed and Taunt and Explosion is really cool. (secret behind Voltorb is why i also think it's amazing, but only i really have looked at it i think) find out for yourselves! Or if you get bored ask me (do not be disappointed, it's better in my opiniun to the normal lead set, not much though, it also takes prediction to use, but risks are there to be taken).

Third is Drifloon, with a scarf it outspeeds everything that is remotly common and can trick to lose it's burden and be even faster, or hypnosis and switch out, or Explode late games realizing it's not going to do much at the start of the match is different games.

I would say to add anorith and wailmer =)

I like wailmer for that quick water spout, and hp ground to ko croagunk on turn 1 to get it out of the way. It can also come back later and go boom or do some damage with hydro pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)