SM UU YouthBerry Mega Gardevoir Offence (peaked 5th)

Intro

Hey UU,

It’s YouthBerry here with my first Gen 7 RMT! This is a fun offensive team built around the Pokemon Mega Gardevoir. While others were pumped about drops like Mega Gallade and Mega Heracross and Mega Altaria, I was drawn to Mega Gardevoir. It’s combination of elite wallbreaking prowess along with above average special bulk and a good speed tier made it seem like it was going to be a huge threat. Time has proven that Mega Gardevoir is one of the biggest threats in UU and it is currently being discussed by the UU council on whether to ban it from the tier.

While this team is flawed, it has had success on both the UU ladder, earned me reqs for Weavile suspect test, and helped me run a 3-0 record in the SM Team Tournament as well as a 2-1 record in UU majors. I feel like this team is an example of a different and effective way to support and help Mega Gardevoir succeed.​

Proof of Peak

https://imgur.com/a/UkJLb

Peaked 5th

The Team

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite

Ability: Trace

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Hyper Voice

- Psyshock

- Taunt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

3 attack Mega Gardevoir with Taunt is a true threat with very limited switchins, making it one of the best wallbreakers in the tier and on this team. You pretty much have to run a bulky steel type to take it on comfortably. The set is pretty standard, Hyper Voice and Psyshock STAB moves allow Mega Gardevoir to hit both on the physical and special sides very very hard. HP Fire is there to roast incoming steel types, most notably the super popular Scizor. Taunt is the ideal 4th move choice imo as it allows Mega Gardevoir to really pressure Blissey on stall by limiting healing, as well as limit incoming Klefki from accomplishing their goal of hazards and status inducing. EV’s are pretty standard, max special attack and speed with the rest in special defence, and a modest nature to hit as hard as possible. A modest nature allows Mega Gardevoir to have a chance (64.5%)to 2HKO Blissey after rocks. Sticky Web support allows Mega Gardevoir to outspeed everything grounded bar scarfers 300+ speed, and the only ones relevant of those are Infernape, Nihelgo, Krookodile, and Mienshao. That really limits the number of things that can check Mega Gardevoir which gives it more room to blast through teams. Overall, it’s a powerhouse on this team and in the tier, and I’m expecting it to get the boot from UU.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Sticky Web

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Encore

Shuckle is often the designated lead, and it does an excellent job of supporting the team through multiple means. It is the only Pokemon that gets both Sticky Webs and Stealth Rock, which is huge as that’s big role compression. Toxic is great to put opposing pokemon on a timer, and in combination with Encore, can really pressure. Mental Herb is used to bypass taunt from opposing leads and guarantee (also thank Sturdy ability) at least one hazard up. EV’s along with a calm nature are designed to take on special attackers, namely Rotom-W who is a pretty common lead against Shuckle. Note that Shuckle is not always the lead, sometimes it’s more beneficial to save Webs support for later if your opponent has an obvious counter to that strategy like a Mega Absol or Espeon.

Scizor @ Life Orb

Ability: Technician

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Bullet Punch

- U-turn

- Knock Off / Superpower

Offensive Scizor has become very common lately, and with good reason. The instant power of CB and LO sets grab some KO’s that bulky Scizor doesn’t. In the case of this team, I needed Scizor to be offensive and preferred the ability to change moves as under Stick Web support, Scizor suddenly could take better advantage of it’s movepool thanks to outspeeding more would be counters. Swords Dance turns Scizor into a dangerous potential sweeper. Bullet Punch is STAB priority that really helps the team finish off some potentially dangerous threats like a weakened Haxorus and opposing Mega Gardevoir. U-turn is another STAB move that gives the team the occasional momentum boost (fast U-turn has it’s drawbacks too). Finally the 4th moveslot is up choice between Knock Off and Superpower. I generally prefer Knock off as it’s utility comes in handy and it helps this team’s matchup against Mantine. Against fatter builds, generally Superpower is superior as the damage output is way higher and can really help against Alomomola/Mega Steelix type cores. This Scizor is EV’d to be as fast and powerful as possible, with an Adamant nature to really help it’s offensive presence. 229 speed under webs outspeeds up to 341, kind of an inbetween speed tier but it’s better than Jolly Mega Sharpedo before the speed boost, Timid Nihielgo, and base 100’s like Celebi. 229 speed also outspeed the calculator and smogon spread for Rotom-Wash.

Raikou @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure

Timid Nature

- Substitute

- Calm Mind

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ice]

A forgotten Pokemon in the tier thanks to the drops of Rotom-Wash and Mega Manetric, Raikou still holds a valuable niche in an effective Substitute-Calm Mind set which can take advantage of the volt-turn cores that are popular at the moment. Raikou’s natural special bulk, plus sticky web support allow Raikou to Calm Mind up on both Rotom-Wash and Mega Meanetric in most circumstances, and with perfect bolt-beam coverage and one of the best speed tiers in UU, Raikou can run through offensive teams quick. EV’s are standard, maximizing special attack and speed with the rest dumped in special defence, along with a Timid Nature to achieve the highest speed tier and at least speed tie with Starmie, Mega Absol, and opposing Raikou. Leftovers helps Raikou’s longevity which is important when you are using the move substitute. Sticky Web support helps Raikou outrun everything grounded period (bar like scarf Salazzle?) and the flyers/levitaters all fear bolt/beam (except Mega Latias which eats hits with ease and deserves a suspect imo). It’s important to note that in using Raikou in this team, that it’s best to not throw Raikou in to take hits/status very often as it performs best with it’s HP stat as close to full as possible, helping it to stay out of priority range and away from crippling toxic.

Starmie @ Waterium Z

Ability: Analytic

Timid Nature

- Hydro Pump

- Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

- Rapid Spin

Starmie is a glue ‘mon for this team, providing valuable hazard control, as well as offering great coverage with decent power that is helped by running Waterium Z. Moveset is pretty standard, Hydro Pump for STAB, bolt/beam gives perfect neutral coverage with a special mention to Thunderbolt for helping to chip Empleon who is otherwise slightly annoying. Ice beam is great to pressure grass types like Celebi who are common switchins when on the opposing team, as well as defog Latias who try to eat a Hydro Pump only to get 2hko’d by Ice Beam. Finally Rapid Spin, which is super helpful in a meta that uses Klefki and spike stack often. Waterium Z turns Starmie’s Hydro Pump into a nuke, capable of earning the OHKO on offensive Scizor and can do major damage to the defensive one (252 SpA Starmie Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Scizor: 259-306 (75.5 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). EV’s and nature are standard and meant to maximize the power and speed that Starmie has, with the rest dumped into special defence. Sticky Webs support help Starmie outspeed pretty well everything grounded, letting it get hits off or spin away hazards pretty consistently. I know my friend CBU has said to never use this pokemon, but Rapid spin is a necessary evil and Starmie is the only one that fits on this squad.

Doublade @ Eviolite

Ability: No Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Shadow Sneak

- Iron Head / Shadow Claw

- Sacred Sword

Doublade is an underrated Pokemon that can check a ton of threats, while also providing valuable priority and spinblock. The set like pretty well every team member is pretty standard, with Swords Dance turning Doublade into a potential late game sweeper when it’s checks and counters are gone, Shadow Sneak being valuable STAB priority, Iron Head for STAB coverage against Fairies and Rock types like Mega Aerodactyl, and finally Sacred Sword which is great neutral coverage along side it’s STAB moves. Sacred Swords is ideal to handle the common steel types in the tier like Cobalion and Scizor who are common threats to this team. Shadow Claw is an option over Iron Head to better hit the likes of Metagross harder and hit slightly harder against things that are neutral to it’s coverage like Swampert, in general I prefer the ability to OHKO Mega Aero though. Doublade thanks to it’s eviolite, is stupid bulky, especially on the physical side. It is capable of eating powerful super effective hits like a Mega Sharpedo Crunch, Choice Scarf Darmanitan Flare Blitz, and +2 Earthquake’s from Terrakion. This can allow it to be an emergency check to some threats if need be so it’s important in some games to keep it healthy. On that note, Doublade is prone to getting worn down, especially as it has no means of recovery. It’s ability to check things like DD Mega Altaria, opposing Mega Gallade, Scizor, Cobalion, Latias and Mega Latias before boosts lacking HP fire, Mega Aerodactyl, Terrakion, Haxorus, and more make it one of the most valuable members of the team. Sticky Webs support also help it outspeed the slowest of pokemon in the tier like Reuniclus and such.

Threat List

Swampert – Need it weakened to give Raikou a chance to sweep. Lack of grass moves on team makes it annoying.

Quagsire – Same as above but even harder to break as it is immune to boosting moves thanks to unaware.

Seismitoad – Same as Swampert, but immunity to water means Starmie is one less way to break it

Empoleon – Nothing OHKO’s it on the team and it can therefore defog easy against everything. Needs to be worn down and or taunted.

Gastrodon – Same as Seismitoad

Mega Absol – Magic bounce plus lack of Dark resists + Sucker Punch and Pursuit makes it annoying to handle at times.

Espeon – Similar to Mega Absol with it’s ability, limits what Shuckle’s role hard and makes it a 5 vs 6 battle until it’s removed.

Xatu – Same as Espeon.

Tentacruel – Toxic Spikes plus Rapid Spin that can also beat my spin blocker Doublade can be annoying if played well.

Latias and Mega Latias – Defog variations can defog on everything as it outspeeds everything bar Starmie and Raikou and neither OHKO. HP fire variations also eliminate Scizor and Doublade as reasonable checks.

Blissey – invalidates both Raikou and Starmie. Stall with Blissey and Quagsire is a really rough matchup

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-640404171 - vs Elite 4 Flint for SM Team Tournament http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-312481 - Vs Djorka for Majors

I apologize in advance if I miss anyone, but here goes!
Everyone who is in the #theyneverlisten discord, you guys are the best! CBU, Bad Rap Sample, FTL, Bhris Brown, Lord Iroh, Island Spices, PokeTCGamer1288, Low Ladder Heroes, Sun, Renny, Sparrow, Zben, Horsehead3, Pillow Wisp, Haate, cubonesmotherr, edaKiwi, DrReuniclus3, Sam I Yam, PDT, the legend Papagoi, and my boy Scheff! There’s more ladder friends out there for sure, so if you see me playing, don’t hesitate to give me crap and say hi!
Conclusion

So yeah, that is the team! It’s a fun offensive one that does a pretty good job of taking advantage of the offensively inclined UU meta. It struggles against Stall builds, but they aren’t too common on the ladder in my experience at the moment. Would really appreciate any insights you can offer to help improve this team for the future! Cheers.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
What I really like is how this is a team that uses standard Volt-Turn Pokemon (well Raikou could be consdered standard even if not optimal in the metagame) without actually using Volt-Turn. Still, the fact that it's Sticky Web might take away some surprise value.

I'll give a rate since Gardevoir Mega is banned now and you will need a replacement.

First, I would run Superpower Nidoking over Gardevoir:
upload_2017-10-22_18-10-25.png

This is actually a pretty potent and underrated wallbreaker since it can mess up Blissey with just a tad bit of prior damage and hazards. This makes it much easier for Raikou and Starmie to potentially sweep. It also gives you a moderately useful Electric immunity which you currently do not have. Your type of offensive team does not really need an immunity, but its always nice to have.

In the same vein, if you don't want to run Nidoking, I would suggest running Gliscor over Gardevoir or Nidoking. Either Sub + Toxic or some type of SD + Rock Polish set seem reasonable to break down bulky teams, which you seem relatively easily walled by due to Gardevoir's ban (Quagsire + Blissey almost completely wins).
upload_2017-10-22_18-20-21.png

With Gardevoir gone, regardless of the choice above, I would reccommend using a Calm Mind Mega Latias set in lieu of Starmie. You're a bit hazard weak, but at least you can still absorb Toxic Spikes if you choose Nidoking. And with your super offensive team, it might not be a death knell to be hazard weak. You could even run Calm Mind + 3 attacks. Basically even though you lose Starmie's Rapid Spin, you get a much better Pokemon overall.
upload_2017-10-22_18-19-57.png

And since that frees a Z move, you can even run Z Shadow Ball Raikou and not run Substitute. I'm not sure you like this, but what I do know for sure is Z Shadow Ball Raikou is better in the metgame than Sub CM (although I'm not sure which is better for your team).

These are some pretty scattered thoughts, overall I do like your team as I said before. Let me know if you've already replaced Gardevoir or if you plan to keep using this team in the future, I would be interested in seeing how you develop it.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)