CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 9 (Main Ability Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but it's still only one side of the defense spectrum. If it were both, it'd be comparable.

252SpAtk, Neutral Nature, No weather Fire Blast against Standard Blissey: 18.02% - 21.22%
252SpAtk, Neutral Nature, Sunny Day Fire Blast against Standard Blissey: 27.03% - 31.83%
252SpAtk, Positive Nature, Sunny Day Fire Blast against Standard Blissey: 29.65% - 34.74%
252SpAtk, Positive Nature, Sunny Day, Solar Powered Fire Blast against Standard Blissey: 44.33% - 52.18%

Not even a 2HKO.
Yep, not a 2HKO, but can make a big dent on her, and finish off with some phys-move/ forces her to heal and switch to a usefull counter.
Wanna calculate it for cresselia too? =P
PS: if this can ake 52% against Standart blissey with Stak without SE isnt bad, and can kill many things
PSS: Even if its defensive, Life orb/choice specs will kill her

what the flying fuck happened to all the Battle Armour love?

if we're relying on a critical hit to counter this thing, then it's not really a counter now, is it? It's all good if drapion can switch into this thing and OHKO it with a crit, but without a crit it's not doing jack and will get OHKO'd by a STAB Sun Fire blast.
What the hell are you talking about now? Battle Armor because it's a useful ability for a regularly defensive pokemon that works for the design. Has NOTHING to do with counters.

Rough Skin would be awesome on this thing. Suits Woodman 'cause it's made of wood, wood makes splinters and splinters DO hurt. Besides, since when does anyone that can actually take a few bolts on the head (UNLIKE SHARPEDO!!) have Rough Skin anyway?

Battle Armour seems agreeable, but so does Sniper. Fits well 'cause of the cannons, and is somewhat useful 'cause critical hits deal more damage, which is always good. Besides, this thing needs an offensive ability anyway.

Rough Skin and Sniper FTW

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Deck Knight, the problem with that argument is "Gengar". It can hurt about anything, but has only a few moveslots. Nonetheless, it is super dangerous. Moveslot syndrome is not enough to completely belittle the power of being super powerful and versatile.

I'm not going with Solar Power because of what X-Act said:

Drought is absurd guys, come on. This thing is going to be the most used Pokemon for a pretty long time on the server because everyone wants to test it, so the sun will be out pretty much all the time. Way to nerf every single Water type out there.
Gengar and this have ZERO in common. Gengar = fast special sweeper with sleep and 6 or 7 equally valid offensive options. This = slow bulky generic wall that moves second compared to every single worthwhile offensive pokemon bar Slowbro which isn't switching in and Snorlax who goes "LOL Fire Blast," though it can't eat 120 BP Grass Knots forever. 95 Base SA is nothing to write home about, especially if you've earmarked loads of EVs for defenses. Gengar has perhaps two locked slots, but those two slots are Hypnosis and Shadow Ball. The rest of the set can be anything out of Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Explosion, Hidden Power, Destiny Bond, and even random Focus Punch, Will O Wisp, and Sludge Bomb.

Speaking of Gengar, Sludge Bomb variants would do quite well against this.

Seriously, what do you mean by "Gengar." My response to that is "Shuckle" since it makes about as much sense. Presumed Fire Blast/Grass Knot does not in any way, shape, or form make this remotely as dangerous as Gengar. Gengar thrives off unpredictability, this pokemon is almost entirely predictable. It's not apples to oranges, its apples to stone statues.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would the Greenhouse ability be impacted if the pokemon was holding a Dry Rock (or whatever the Sunny Day++ item is called)?

That ability gets my vote.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
This sucks, the only other person supporting Pressure has dropped the idea!

I cannot even begin to explain the underlying potential of Pressure. Not many people (if any) in this topic have had the time for extensive experimentation with "stallplay," but I know from experience that its advantage dramatically increases the longer and profound a Pokemon battle becomes. The power of Pressure is finally recognized when your opponent has to put thought into what moves they choose when PP is running low - something uncommon in fast-paced games - and that is how Pressure gets its name. With the correct skills and team you can turn an utter stall match into a 100% victory. (Although I doubt anyone has ever tried to remove an opponent's Rapid Spin PP so you could Spike their team into oblivion. ;p)

Even in an offensive game with fast-paced battling, the effectiveness of Pressure can be seen. For example, removing the Gyro Ball PP from a single-attack Bronzong means that it will have a hard time stopping your Substitute Swords Dance Garchomp!

If a capable "stall" ability is what you want, then I advise you to put your support into Pressure: an ability that is neither potent nor weak but can turn a game around from even the darkest corner.
Nobody here likes Pressure? :( Or maybe I just posted at the worst possible time.

I had an ability idea, it was called Forest Fire, which was like a Life Orb for Fire attacks, if the user is a Grass type, it loses 6.25% each turn but Fire attacks were multipled by 25% until rain comes into play. It was an idea.

I don't see the point of Reckless. Sure, the attacks would be monstrous, but this guy is on the defensive side of things. I can't see the use in destroying yourself, considering how well you can take hits.

I mean, think about it. He's a slow, bulky Pokemon. How could he possibly be reckless in that suit of armor? Reckless implies risking life and limb, but he clearly isn't going to lose either anytime soon even if he did act the role. I just can't see it from a flavor standpoint, and can't justify it from a gameplay standpoint.

Rock Head is a much better choice. Instead of giving him a double edged sword for an already iffy set, it solidifies the attack choices and allows him to retain that bulkiness. He could have a Life Orb and run Leech Seed, giving him extra attack without sticking his neck out too far.

I had an ability idea, it was called Forest Fire, which was like a Life Orb for Fire attacks, if the user is a Grass type, it loses 6.25% each turn but Fire attacks were multipled by 25% until rain comes into play. It was an idea.
That would have fit the flaming Bambi :)

Nobody here likes Pressure? :( Or maybe I just posted at the worst possible time.
I like Pressure as it have it's worth in battle.

Okay, list of abilities that will probably be on the ability poll

Rock Head (Petrified/Tempered Wood)
Battle Armor
Leaf Guard
GreenHouse
Solar Power
Chlorophyll - Been the main reason behind this Pokemon until it became defensive.
Heatproof (?)
Sniper

I'll edit this when I find more abilities with a lot of support behind them.

Some Ideas:

Core Temp - Immunity to freeze and 1/2 damage from ice attacks.

Afterburner: Deals 12.5% damage on a switch out, cannot faint the pokemon.

Hello all. I have been observing this CAP project(fire/grass) for a long time an decided to post. Here's an idea for an ability...

Cold Blooded: its kinda like the opposite of dry skin. there is a speed increase (either doubling like chlorophyll or boost like motor drive) in the sun or when hit by fire attacks and a loss in speed in the rain(again not sure how much) and when hit by water moves.

I thought this fit the whole lizard thing a little better than bask (no offense) because lizards rely so much on the environment and are essentially slowed or paralyzed in cold because they cant maintain there metabolism. Also the poke looks so bad ass that it could be considered cold blooded like a killer or warrior...

alternatives:
I couldn't decide on the exact effects of this ability.
An alt effect could be a true opposite of dry skin with healing and extra damage instead of speed changes. this adds more to the tankiness even though i feel that it is already bulky enough and needs more sweep capabilities

or...

maybe the speed change (or healing/being pwnd more) could only be due to weather and not fire/water attacks also...

Off topic: on a side note, the artwork quality has been amazing this time around especially elagune and cartoons! ...sorry for such a lengthy post

How can something part Grass shrug of ice, considering even pure Fire types can be frozen (except those with Magma Armor, and using Flame Wheel) =/ I prefer Heatproof since it is somehow shooting fire out of wood cannons without burning them, so that makes a bit more sense.

How can something part Grass shrug of ice, considering even pure Fire types can be frozen (except those with Magma Armor, and using Flame Wheel) =/ I prefer Heatproof since it is somehow shooting fire out of wood cannons without burning them, so that makes a bit more sense.
I just figured he could shrug off ice because he has armor with freaking fire coming out of it and cannons. Just about the only grass things in this guy is a grass skirt and a single leaf. Heavy wood armor that could shoot out fire certianly isn't going to be phased by ice either.

I originally went with heatproof, but I dropped midway because it makes too many good counters mediocre.

I just wanted to mention Marvel Scale since lots of people like Leaf Guard and Vital Spirit. It's not a fish, but it is a reptile.

I particularly like Rock Head since it gives this pokemon the opportunity to be a physical attacker. I have to say, though, that it shouldn't get any strong ice, rock, or ground attacks on either spectrum.

I would limit it to Rock Throw and Rock Tomb (maybe Rock Blast or Rock Slide); Dig, Mud Bomb, Mud Shot, and Mud Slap; Icicle Spear (and maybe Aurora Beam).

As far as I can tell, there are only 5 recoil attacks in the entire game: Flare Blitz, Wood Hammer, Head Smash, Take Down, and Double-Edge. Does anyone know of others?
As far as good ones go, that's just about it. There are still Brave Bird, Volt Tackle, and Submission (none of which are very useful to our Woodman).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)