Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How did I get to Lando's SpA stat (roughly)
I multiplied 361 (Modest Lando) by 1.6 (the Sheer Force which is 30% plus a Life orb boost which is another 30%, 30+30=60 which equals 1.6). 577 is greater than 535.
Actually that's not exactly right. It should be 361*1.3 (Sheer Force)*1.3 again (Life Orb) which is 610. You have to do the LO and SF boosts separately.

Either way, SF Landorus has more Special Attack than Specs Keldeo. When using either Earth Power or FB (HP Ice doesn't get the SF boost).

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would completely agree w/ this statement (and I still do) but Jirachi fails to wall special variants of Landorus-I, who (by raw stats) is a more powerful special sweeper than even SpecsKeldeo. (577>535).

Either way, Jirachi for S-rank.

How did I get to Lando's SpA stat (roughly)
I multiplied 361 (Modest Lando) by 1.6 (the Sheer Force which is 30% plus a Life orb boost which is another 30%, 30+30=60 which equals 1.6). 577 is greater than 535.
Wait, how does that make any sense to what I was trying to argue against? I said that Jirachi avoids a lot of 2HKOs on non super-effective moves. Landorus-I has Earth Power, which is super-effective. Why would it use Focus Blast when it could just EP? Choice Specs Keldeo can easily 2HKO specially defensive Jirachi in the rain, but Jirachi isn't hit super-effectively by it. Besides, if your reliable check/counter to special Landorus is Jirachi, then you need help, big time.

The "Jirachi for S-Rank" chant has been going on for as long as the thread has been around. I myself have tried to nominate it for S-rank in the past, and have failed. I still look at as the premier special wall of OU, but honestly there isn't enough support for people to believe it. The only other special walls that can even compare to it are Heatran and Blissey, where the ladder cannot stop a full powered Reversal from Diglett, and the former has a weakness to water in a rain-filled metagame and a 4X weakness to ground.

Jirachi for S-Rank even though it will never happen =/

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Probably because you talk about the wrong reasons.
Why no one is even saying that Jirachi is the most accomplished Scarfer in the meta, with access to a decent enough speed tier, to SR, to Healing Wish, Trick, U-Turn and finally, the most hatred move in Iron Head. That shit could turn around almost any game.

The Sub/CM version of Jirachi is also one of those few pokemons that could sweep on their own like 80% of the Rain Teams (basically, any Rain team without Garchomp, Bulldoze Ferrothorn or this kind of shit).

Obsly, to me Jirachi HAD to be S when Tornadus-T was in OU. But it doesn't mean that he can't take this spot now. I have no opinion on the subject but saying "Jirachi best special wall" isn't a good idea to make it happen.

Probably because you talk about the wrong reasons.
Why no one is even saying that Jirachi is the most accomplished Scarfer in the meta, with access to a decent enough speed tier, to SR, to Healing Wish, Trick, U-Turn and finally, the most hatred move in Iron Head. That shit could turn around almost any game.

The Sub/CM version of Jirachi is also one of those few pokemons that could sweep on their own like 80% of the Rain Teams (basically, any Rain team without Garchomp, Bulldoze Ferrothorn or this kind of shit).

Obsly, to me Jirachi HAD to be S when Tornadus-T was in OU. But it doesn't mean that he can't take this spot now. I have no opinion on the subject but saying "Jirachi best special wall" isn't a good idea to make it happen.
I've thrown the book at people in regards to Jirachi bringing up how many sets he can run effectively and how supportive he is for a team. Believe me, I'm aware of the number of sets it can run. I would try to find my older posts but it was way too long ago and based on the fact that this thread gets pretty good traffic means I highly doubt I can come across some of my arguments.

Honestly, no one buys it.

EDIT: LOLZ, I type in page 33 and I found my first post regarding that flaming pixie. Anyway this is pretty much how it went.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4470076&postcount=622
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4491210&postcount=822
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4499237&postcount=928

I stopped reading when I saw written in the first post that SpD Celebi counters Sub/CM Jirachi.
Lol, well it wasn't me who said that, it was alexwolf, but since I was linked to me after i asked for a response I figured it woould be fair to share it.

Honestly this whole A+/A/A-/B+/B/B- is weird and ugly. Why not just make more letters so that it goes to F tier or something. Like they do in brawl (lol).

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I stopped reading when I saw written in the first post that SpD Celebi counters Sub/CM Jirachi.
It doesn't counter CM Jirachi, but if it carries Perish Song, then it can stop the non Flash Cannon variants from sweeping. That's pretty much all it can do against CM Rachi though... but it's enough to stop if from sweeping.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oh yes true. However, only heavy stall teams carry that type of move on Celebi, and it faces competition with Heal Bell.
Honnestly, TWave, SR, NP/CM with Baton Pass or HP Fire are just better on every other team.

Gary

Oh yes true. However, only heavy stall teams carry that type of move on Celebi, and it faces competition with Heal Bell.
Honnestly, TWave, SR, NP/CM with Baton Pass or HP Fire are just better on every other team.
If you mean Baton Pass is only primarily used on heavy stall teams, then that's debatable. I see it used on teams that are heavily weak to setup sweepers but don't have the teamslot to run a phazer. It's a fantastic move to have on Celebi, but does indeed only find use on teams that really hate setup sweepers, or stall teams as you said. I'd still watch out for it before setting up with Jirachi.

This is probably the best discussion I've ever seen on these forums. good job guys.

I'd like to support Jirachi for S-rank. The sheer versatility of this little guy is what makes him so good. his typing allows him to switch into a plethora of attacks such as Dragon, Psychic, and Ice attacks. His well distributed stats allow to him to run so many viable sets. Typing+stat distribution+movepool is what makes Jirachi deserve S-Rank.

Edit: 100th post woot

The arguments against Jirachi NOT being S-Rank are simply absurd...
Firstly, Specs Keldeo. Seriously? A Keldeo locked in Hydro Pump is a nice invitation to Gastrodon or Jellicent, so Jirachi doesn't get 2HKOed: it can come back in later and paraflinch. Gastrodon with Storm Drain is quite deadly in rain, and with Keldeo having to switch out Gastrodon can attack with rain boosted Storm Drain Scald, which hits hard and can burn.
Secondly, Landorus-I. While this monster is a counter to Jirachi, Earth Power is easily predicted, allowing Jirachi to switch out for a mon like Rotom-W(common pairing on rain-teams) who threatens Landorus with Hydro Pump, forcing it to switch out.
Overall, Jirachi has excellent defenses, a good defensive typing and weaknesses that can easily be beaten with prediction(like Heatran for fire, etc).
S-Rank for Jirachi
Also, what do you guys feel about Scizor for S-Rank?. It's been top of the OU stats for a long time and is arguably the most viable mon out there with Technician Bullet Punch and Technician Pursuit making it one of the best mons in business.

Firstly, Specs Keldeo. Seriously? A Keldeo locked in Hydro Pump is a nice invitation to Gastrodon or Jellicent, so Jirachi doesn't get 2HKOed: it can come back in later and paraflinch. Gastrodon with Storm Drain is quite deadly in rain, and with Keldeo having to switch out Gastrodon can attack with rain boosted Storm Drain Scald, which hits hard and can burn.
Secondly, Landorus-I. While this monster is a counter to Jirachi, Earth Power is easily predicted, allowing Jirachi to switch out for a mon like Rotom-W(common pairing on rain-teams) who threatens Landorus with Hydro Pump, forcing it to switch out.
Overall, Jirachi has excellent defenses, a good defensive typing and weaknesses that can easily be beaten with prediction(like Heatran for fire, etc).
S-Rank for Jirachi
Also, what do you guys feel about Scizor for S-Rank?. It's been top of the OU stats for a long time and is arguably the most viable mon out there with Technician Bullet Punch and Technician Pursuit making it one of the best mons in business.
My venusaur's hp fire murders them both!!!! In all seriousness Scizor and Jirachi have deserved s rank for a long time

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Calling Scizor S-rank is sort of a stretch. To make matters simple, the situation you just applied to Keldeo can also applied to Scizor, though Scizor has a ton more issues to deal with at hand itself (coverage, lack of actual "free" turns, and tons of bad match-ups that can easily take advantage of it being its most well-known concerns).

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
S-Rank for Jirachi
If anything, these comments you made have hurt Jirachi's chances at S rank. You're basically saying that Landorus, Keldeo, and Heatran (all extremely common and excellent Pokémon) give Jirachi trouble oh, but not if you have team support. Well no shit. Any Pokémon's counters can be dealt with if you have the proper teammates. Landorus-T doesn't counter Terrakion since you could easily just switch into Rotom-W on Earthquake and KO with Hydro Pump. No, that just isn't how we should look at Pokémon and their rankings. I disagree with Jirachi for S rank. I think it's an extremely useful Pokémon, and during the Tornadus-T era, I might have agreed with it being S, but I just wouldn't put it on the same level as Landorus, Terrakion, Keldeo, and Politoed. It simply isn't as metagame-defining as any of these Pokémon. Versatile? Yes. Great wall? Yes. Pretty good sweeper with Sub CM? Of course. Great Scarfer? I think it's ok as a Scarfer, but only because I've never really found much use for him. I still admit that other players have, so I will concede that Jirachi is a good Scarf Pokémon. But each of these sets have their problems. CM Jirachi needs rain support, and if it doesn't have it, it can't make use of Thunder or get a boost from Water Pulse (though honestly, Flash Cannon and Psyshock are better IMO). If the stars align and Jirachi gets a few boosts, then it is indeed the most dangerous sweeper in OU, I think. But I think it's speed and lackluster special attack keep this set from putting it in S. The SDef set is the one I would say make it come close, but even then, it is beaten by the two most common special attackers in the tier, Landorus and Keldeo.

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi in rain: 214-253 (52.97 - 62.62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That's still just Scarf. Specs easily 2HKO's even outside of rain.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 330-393 (81.68 - 97.27%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Modest Landorus cleanly OHKO's, and all it takes is a little prior damage and Jirachi flat-out loses to Landorus.

Also, I feel like the SDef set needs rain support as well. That Fire weakness is just too much of a problem for Jirachi, and it really appreciates being able to take on things like Heatran, but it's somewhat reliance on rain is kind of a strike against it, in my opinion. I want to make it clear that I don't think Jirach needs rain support, but rather that it appreciates it (to the point where rain makes it S rank, but A without it, IMO).

Like I said, I've never used the Scarf set to much success, but I know others have, so I won't comment on that. It just seems to me that Jirachi, while being a great wall, decent scarfer, and scary sweeper under the right conditions, isn't metagame defining enough for it to deserve S rank.

As for Scizor, I don't think we should even be discussing S rank for it. It's good, but not that good.

The SDef set is the one I would say make it come close, but even then, it is beaten by the two most common special attackers in the tier, Landorus and Keldeo.
You omit to mention something crucial:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 236 SpD Jirachi in rain: 351-414 (86.88 - 102.47%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
However, Jirachi can simply use Thunder which doesn't miss in rain
0- SpA Jirachi Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 170-200 (52.63 - 61.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's right, even with a Careful nature(negative for SpA) Jirachi cleanly 2HKOes. More importantly though, with Serene Grace Jirachi has a 60% chance of paralyzing Keldeo. This essentially means that Jirachi outspeeds(thanks to the speed drop) on the second turn and can OHKO with Thunder again or with Psychic(if it doesn't want to risk switch to ground type). So how exactly does Keldeo beat it? Even WITH Choice Specs IN rain Jirachi tanks the hit, paralyzes it with Thunder(as well as dealing a LOT of damage) and proceeds to cleanly KO.
Every mon has counters: for instance, Keldeo is beaten out by Jellicent, Landorus is beaten by Mamoswine. But that doesn't mean they aren't S-Rank. No mon is perfect, but S-Rank is when a mon's positive characteristics are far more than it's weaknesses which are easily mitigated.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for being a scrub but does anyone feel like Terrakion should be a tad lower? Like A+ tier?

It's a great offensive Pokemon but I don't know, it feels like he can't switch to many things so you'll have to bring him in for revenge and stuff unlike Keldeo or Landorus. Maybe I just suck. :/

Also while I like Alakazam but it seems like A+ is also a tad high for him. I don't really have much to say about that but can someone tell me why Alakazam is in A+ tier? :o

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think the main reason Kazam is in A+ probably goes along the lines of this:

You bring in Kazam to revenge kill something without priority, and he outspeeds a lot with his immense 120 base speed. You then send in something to revenge kill it, only to figure out you have to take a hit from Alakazam anyway, which hurts from base 135 Special Attack. To top it off, his Focus Sash would remain intact until he is actually hit. Kazam has the right stats, ability and movepool to prove himself as a serious offensive threat, hence his high rank.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 236 SpD Jirachi in rain: 351-414 (86.88 - 102.47%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
0- SpA Jirachi Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 170-200 (52.63 - 61.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That's right, even with a Careful nature(negative for SpA) Jirachi cleanly 2HKOes. More importantly though, with Serene Grace Jirachi has a 60% chance of paralyzing Keldeo. This essentially means that Jirachi outspeeds(thanks to the speed drop) on the second turn and can OHKO with Thunder again or with Psychic(if it doesn't want to risk switch to ground type). So how exactly does Keldeo beat it? Even WITH Choice Specs IN rain Jirachi tanks the hit, paralyzes it with Thunder(as well as dealing a LOT of damage) and proceeds to cleanly KO.
Every mon has counters: for instance, Keldeo is beaten out by Jellicent, Landorus is beaten by Mamoswine. But that doesn't mean they aren't S-Rank. No mon is perfect, but S-Rank is when a mon's positive characteristics are far more than it's weaknesses which are easily mitigated.
...Unless you'r running Rain of your own, Jirachi REALLY shouldn't be carrying Thunder. So, that's another example of how Jirachi can overcome things that beat it with team support, which, as Halcyon of Light already said, doesn't prove much at all. Not to mention you're gambling on Thunder paralyzing, which while it happens quite frequently, isn't fully guaranteed. In that scenario, there's a 40% chance Jirachi will lose to Keldeo (not factoring in Hydro Pumps miss, but it does tip the scales in Jirachi's favor a bit).

Actually, one of the reasons I could see keeping Jirachi from S-Rank is that its Sp.Def set lacks key resistances against weather, making it vulnerable in that regard. Even it hates taking boosted Hydro Pumps to the face, and Fire attacks scare it off easily. It's a fantastic special wall outside of those super-powered attacks, but since weather is such a prominent part of the metagame, it's a solid point against Jirachi going to S-Rank, I think.

Gary

I like how you pretty much completely ignored what Halcyon said. It's funny because the things you're saying are actually supporting why Jirachi should NOT be S-rank. If Jirachi switches in on full health into a Specs or Scarf Keldeo in the rain, it's already dead. Next turn Keldeo will KO it. So that right there makes Jirachi an unreliable switch-in to one of the most commonly used mons in the game. So what you're saying is, Jirachi needs a free switch-in to Keldeo so it can fish for a 60% paralysis chance with Thunder AFTER it took a huge beating from a rain boosted Hydro Pump? That's a terrible idea. Why in the world would you risk losing your Jirachi just so you can hope to paralyze Keldeo? That doesn't make Jirachi a reliable check OR counter to Keldeo at all. Going off of what False said as well, Jirachi has a decent amount of resistances, but it lacks a lot of much needed resistances that keep it from being an S rank wall. Sun teams have their way with Jirachi, and rain teams fire off powerful rain boosted Hydro Pumps that threaten to 2HKO Jirachi. You can't really call Jirachi an S rank wall if it can't properly counter and check common attacks.

Although Landorus, Terrakion, and Keldeo all have their downsides, there's a reason they're S-rank and Jirachi isn't. For starters, Terrakion has always been considered one of the most versatile and dangerous Pokemon in the game, ever since its release. It's Choice Band set needs little support to succeed, its Rock Gem SD sets even threaten Gliscor, and it makes an amazing revenge killer with a Scarf. Not to mention, it's also an amazing SR lead. It's obvious why Landorus is S-rank, all it needs is Rock Polish to pretty much sweep the entire metagame. It's physical sets are incredibly dangerous too. Keldeo is also a given, as a rain boosted Hydro Pump OHKOes pretty much everything and 2HKOes most resiliant Pokemon. Sure, Jirachi may be a really good and versatile Pokemon, but it's not really comparable to the S rank threats, who need little support to succeed.

I'm still laughing at your Gastrodon argument.

I agree with terrakion to A+. I really don't see at all why he is in S rank.
-1hkod by TWO common forms of priority
-Outsped and ko'd by latis
-Walled endlessly by the ever popular lando-t
-relies on stone edge's shaky accuracy and, though somewhat insignificant, the defense dropping close combat

On paper, terrakion seems unstoppable, but in practice its few checks and counters are prevelant enough to really hinder its effectiveness (keep in mind that we are talking from S to A+ rank, not like S to C rank)

I also disagree with Hirachi being in S rank
-RELIES ON HAX. Yes, it does a nice job of walling things (though that is getting tougher with specs rain boosted water attacks, lando, etc), but it's moves of choice: body slam and iron head, each only have a 60% chance of functioning as they should. It is essentially useless against bulky waters and grounds
-Subcm rachi is nice, but its 2-move coverage just doesn't cut it against decently prepared teams and leftovers recovery isn't always sufficient. In rain it works better, but I have had many instances when I was relying on thunder to paralyze and it didn't... 3 times in a row (refer back to first point)
-I hate scarf rachi. It is incredibly weak (100 base attack using unstabbed 75 bp moves is incredibly weak) and so is huge setup bait. Yes, iron head can turn around games, but it can also completely screw you ever (see first point). Plus, its speed doesn't neccesarily cut it anymore when revenging boosted threats
-Ferrothorn, Heatran, Landorus-t, Landorus-i, specs keldeo, specs toad, etc are all very common and they all take a shit on rachi

Again, this is a matter of A+ v S, not S and C, which is why I feel these flaws are More than enough to hold it back a sub tier

I also disagree with Hirachi being in S rank
-RELIES ON HAX. Yes, it does a nice job of walling things (though that is getting tougher with specs rain boosted water attacks, lando, etc), but it's moves of choice: body slam and iron head, each only have a 60% chance of functioning as they should. It is essentially useless against bulky waters and grounds
-Subcm rachi is nice, but its 2-move coverage just doesn't cut it against decently prepared teams and leftovers recovery isn't always sufficient. In rain it works better, but I have had many instances when I was relying on thunder to paralyze and it didn't... 3 times in a row (refer back to first point)
-I hate scarf rachi. It is incredibly weak (100 base attack using unstabbed 75 bp moves is incredibly weak) and so is huge setup bait. Yes, iron head can turn around games, but it can also completely screw you ever (see first point). Plus, its speed doesn't neccesarily cut it anymore when revenging boosted threats
-Ferrothorn, Heatran, Landorus-t, Landorus-i, specs keldeo, specs toad, etc are all very common and they all take a shit on rachi

Again, this is a matter of A+ v S, not S and C, which is why I feel these flaws are More than enough to hold it back a sub tier
''Only 60%''. How can you possibly say ''only'' and ''60%'' in the same sentence. Iron Head is enough to flinch anything that lacks a 4x resistance to death. The coverage of the subcalm set is enough once you get going with boosts. And jirachi has many opportunities to setup. And seriously, scarf rachi is setup bait? How are you going to setup when you get flinched nearly every turn or when jirachi can simply u-turn out? Jirachi has few flaws but its qualities far surpasses them which is enough to be considered a S-Rank mon.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
''Only 60%''. How can you possibly say ''only'' and ''60%'' in the same sentence. Iron Head is enough to flinch anything that lacks a 4x resistance to death. The coverage of the subcalm set is enough once you get going with boosts. And jirachi has many opportunities to setup. And seriously, scarf rachi is setup bait? How are you going to setup when you get flinched nearly every turn or when jirachi can simply u-turn out? Jirachi has few flaws but its qualities far surpasses them which is enough to be considered a S-Rank mon.
People have no problem saying "only 70%" when it comes to Focus Blast, which we all know how unreliable Focus Blast is. Hell, people have problems with Hydro Pump and Stone Edge which both have 80%! Relying on Iron Head or Body Slam is the same as relying on Hypnosis. A 60% chance of a move doing what you want it to is not reliable at all. It's nice, but not reliable.

People have no problem saying "only 70%" when it comes to Focus Blast, which we all know how unreliable Focus Blast is. Hell, people have problems with Hydro Pump and Stone Edge which both have 80%! Relying on Iron Head or Body Slam is the same as relying on Hypnosis. A 60% chance of a move doing what you want it to is not reliable at all. It's nice, but not reliable.
You talk as if jirachi couldnt afford a fail. Steel/Psychic typing and solid 100/100/100 bulk means that jirachi is not as reliant on it as you think and if all else fails wish+protect can recover your health so you can try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)