Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (B- and C+ Pokemon discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Garchomp's biggest perk is that it isn't completely reliant on its Dragon-type STAB like its brethren Dragonite and Salamence. It has STAB Earthquake that it can use, too. And let's not forget Swords Dance just adds to the sheer power that Garchomp can have.

Thank God the Salamence circle jerk is done by the way. It was getting as horrible as Donphan. It proceeded to make me do this the entire time:

Completely agree that Keldeo is A+ rank. Specs keldeo is an absolute monster and definately better than suicune. What this gen did is make it much harder to sweep with keldeo. However, thats never what keldeo was best at. Specs keldeo can punch massive holes, even in pokemon that resist its stabs but lack recovery, such as azuramill. At wall breaking, on both the physical and the special side, specs keldeo is nearly unmatched and one of the best in OU. Yes there are new checks this gen, but its hard counters (celebi, jellicent, tentacruel, latios) are much rarer this generation. Specs Keldeo thrived last gen on tyranitar teams anyways, and the sand nerf helped it on those teams, as its no longer taking constant passive damage. Band Tyranitar can come into anything on talonflame and OHKO with pursuit. Also, on the specs set, modest nature is acceptable and hits even harder, though if 108 is the fastest base speed on your team, you'll typically want to stick with timid. And its movepool is still pretty fantastic for what it does. Secret sword and hydro pump is what makes it so damn good. Finally, pokes like slowbro/slowking are pretty rare in OU.
Pokemon that completely wall it include, Dragonite (not icy wind, but that's hardly what he want's to be locked into), Azumarill, Slowbro/king, Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, Toxicroak, Celebi, Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Sylveon, so I think raising it to A+ is ridiculous. If we have an A-, I think it should be there, but if its between B+ and A, I'd say B+ is more logical. It's just not as effective this gen as the other A's. Maybe if it had something better than icy wind for coverage. Otherwise I'd say the fast specially attacking water type should always be greninja
Just my 2 cents, Greninja might not have the power behind its attacks, but Greninja's higher speed and better coverage make choosing Keldeo a hard thing to do. It's a fantastic revenge killer, but the number of pokemon that can take its hits and KO it back is ridiculous. It can't just power through its checks like it did last gen, and now its got a competitor that arguably overshadows it.

Can an argument be made for sacred fire entei, be it as a CB sweeper or an Assault Vest tank.

Between its substantial 115 HP and the assault vest, it can tank quite a few hits.

And between sacred fire, stone edge, bulldoze, and espeed, it can put a dent in teams and spread burns, leaving it very easy for a clean up sweeper to take care of business.

I'd say its a C because it had a very specific niche.
Its not overly specific. Sacred Fire is so good, that there's not a lot of pokemon that would be willing to fight this pokemon. Just looking at the AV set, it takes even SE special hits decently, while on the physical end, very few pokemon want to risk the burn. The only pokemon that really don't care about Entei (that I can think of) are Garchomp, Conkeldurr, and Gliscor, and even they don't always walk away unscathed. Entei isn't exactly going to sweep an entire team, but he's such a hard threat to approach that I think he deserves to be in the B range

Just my 2 cents, Greninja might not have the power behind its attacks, but Greninja's higher speed and better coverage make choosing Keldeo a hard thing to do. It's a fantastic revenge killer, but the number of pokemon that can take its hits and KO it back is ridiculous. It can't just power through its checks like it did last gen, and now its got a competitor that arguably overshadows it.
From my experience you pick Keldeo and Greninja for different reasons. Greninja uses its high speed and Stab coverage to mainly revenge kill and clean late game while Keldeo is chosen to blow holes in peoples teams with Specs Hydro Pumps. Keldeo also offers mixed attacking prowess with Secret Sword making it harder to wall than Greninja in some cases.

Tyranitar makes a great partner for Keldeo removing many of its counters via Pursuit. Also while Rain is no where near the level it was last gen its still a very viable strategy and all Keldeo needs to do is fire of 2-3 specs rain boosted Hydro Pumps to leave a team severely weakened.

Now, I see that Charizard-Y is an A-rank so far, but I honestly do not agree to that.

My reasoning is: With Drought it becomes a terrifying wallbreaking sweeper, to put it in a strange way, which is incredibly hard to deal with. It has the exact tools it needs to break any would-be counter aside from the blobs that it is very hard switch in on. Basically, you have to sacc something or let anything take a huge hit for a chance to revenge kill this beast. And even then, it sports a pretty good 78/78/115 defenses which means if it has to, it can take a hit. It can also support it's team with the aforementioned ability in several ways: The most obvious one being that it empowers fire-type moves. But there's also the defensive factor in it, as for instance you're at the end of the game and a banded Azumarill threatens your remaining pokemon, which are all weak to it, with it's very powerful Aqua Jet. You can easily sacc it simply to abuse the defensive boost from the sun and score the win instead of falling out on a loss. And that is a gimmick few other offensive pokemon holds. And, I'm actually using this as an example, as this is exactly what's happened to me.

As for how it holds up against it's A companions, it 2HKOs all of them aside from Chansey with his incredible special moves, meaning you're forced to sacc and revenge the threat. And due to him sitting at a comfortable 100 base speed, he's still capable of finishing off whatever mon that are to come in.

In regards on how he holds up to the current S-ranks...
He will win 1v1 against unboosted Physical MLuke. As far as experience goes, MLuke actually finds setting up SDs a bit of a chore, so this is an option. He will win against +2 Special MLuke. He can switch in on the Nasty Plot and plummet the threat away with a Fire Blast or Flamethrower.
He destroys Aegislash. He is one of the mons that OHKOs straight from the bat.
Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur is 2HKOd by Fire Blast and has a MinMax thing on Flamethrower. Obviously, if he switches in on megavenu, the saur can easily synthesis stall him out of Fire Blast pp if need be, but flamethrower is still a very competent option and MegaVenu will lose out in the long run. Also, as mentioned, MegazardY can setup a sub on the Sleep Powder, making him all the more deadlier.
He scares out Genesects that lack Tbolt, and if the Genesect does have Tbolt it won't kill. It's more situational, but very convenient for this mon.
Deoxys-S cannot OHKO even with specs TBolt, if you're into that shit. But Deo-s still reliably sets up hazards on him. Sub is broken by Psycho Boost, so he cannot set up that on it either.

It also forces many switches, granting it free opportunities to either go for an insanely powerful Fire Blast or set up a sub. A ZardY behind a sub is most definitely the one thing I'm most afraid off when I see one on the opponent's team.

It can also run a very effective mix set, which still hits incredibly hard and means that Chansey is no longer an issue beyond heavy recoil. It works similar to the mix MegazardX set, just with more immediate power on both sides. The Flare Blitzes from both unboosted are, well, not that far from eachothers. Of course, the other physical moves will stand weaker, but the mons that check ZardY has now dropped.

252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow in Sun: 1428-1680 (371.8 - 437.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1440-1696 (375 - 441.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course, this thing is a nuke, but if there's something he wish he had, it'd be a better speed tier. 100 isn't the greatest speed for a sweeper, but seeing as this guy is more of a wallbreaker and a supporter for a team member, I'd say the speed isn't too worrisome. At the very least it does not conflict with his role as an absolute destructive wallbreaker, as no wall runs max Speed. So, yeah, being capable of 2HKOing everything, EVERYTHING, in OU but Goodra, Chansey and Blissey after Stealth Rock should be a good way to underline his wallbreaking power.

So, all things considered I'd say he is A+. I'm willing to hear any rebuttals of course. Also, I didn't take stealth rocks into consideration anywhere in this post, so it's somewhat theorymon at that part. Mainly because it's obvious on how it affects the pseudo-Dragon.

Edit: Damn, this post looked smaller when I wrote it down. This is a crime to my laziness, I tell ya.
Bold part is very important guise.

Anyways, could I spark some discussions regarding this?

I like how this thread is turning out to be。

Nominate Togekiss for -A RANK
I always felt Togekiss was pretty underrated pokemon. Boasting 125 Special Attack, a bulky 85/95/115 defenses and 80 speed is not so bad considering his bulk. He can stomach a lot of hits and hit back hard.

-Mega Lucario
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 144-172 (38.5 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4+ SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Lucario: 272-320 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(Running Modest)

-Aegislash
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 236-282 (63.1 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 318-376 (98.1 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
( This May be irrelevant because Aegi has to out run Togekiss first )

-Genesect
252 SpA Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 164-194 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
( Genesect hardly carrys Flash Canon)

4 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 388-460 (137.1 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-Scizor
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 176-210 (47 - 56.1%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 444-524 (129 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-Rotom W
4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Togekiss: 128-152 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- 43.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Can't really hit Rotom W back, but it is nice to know he can take a hit

-Greninja
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 213-252 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 270-318 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
(Probably can beat him on a switch)

-Dragonite
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 102-120 (31.4 - 37%) -- 76.4% chance to 3HKO
(Considering the Multiscale, it may be a 2HKO)

-Garchomp
252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 164-194 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Stone Miss is probably the best thing he has getting pass Togi, considering he is immune to both of his stabs)

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 234-276 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-Hydregion
252 SpA Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 152-180 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
( Hydregion will probably just U-Turn )

+6 0+ Atk Hydreigon U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Togekiss: 54-64 (14.4 - 17.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 436-520 (134.1 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-Mega Medicham
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 284-336 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Medicham: 230-272 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

-Keldeo
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Togekiss: 144-171 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 175-207 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 218-260 (67.4 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not only that he has a large supportive move pool. He can put pokés to sleep or phase with Yawn, Baton Pass with Nasty Plot with bulk to last hits, Thunder Wave to cripple, Heal Bell to cure status, Wish Pass, Tailwind and Defog hazards away.

From my experience you pick Keldeo and Greninja for different reasons. Greninja uses its high speed and Stab coverage to mainly revenge kill and clean late game while Keldeo is chosen to blow holes in peoples teams with Specs Hydro Pumps. Keldeo also offers mixed attacking prowess with Secret Sword making it harder to wall than Greninja.

Tyranitar makes a great partner for Keldeo removing many of its counters via Pursuit. Also while Rain is no where near the level it was last gen its still a very viable strategy and all Keldeo needs to do is fire of 2-3 specs rain boosted Hydro Pumps to leave a team severely weakened.
Of course you'd choose them for different reasons. If they had the exact same niche, then one would clearly outclass the other and we'd have a pointless argument on whether the inferior one should even get a rank (see Sylveon vs. Florges). Offensive pokemon in A+ can sweep almost the entire metagame without needing that much support, and Keldeo can't do that. There's a decent chance your opponent has a pokemon that completely walls Keldeo without even trying, and without rain support (which is not an easy thing to provide), Keldeo is not able to get past them. I'm still voting we bring him down to B+, but I'm ok with A, because if I stretch my suspension of disbelief, I can see how specs hydro pumps can wreck teams, but A+ is too high.

I'd say the short term nature of drought and his iffy coverage vs dragons is enough to keep him from reaching A+, as well as his desperate need for rapid spin/defog support. You make a good argument though. I'll pile through the last 69 pages and see what others have said and get back to you

Can an argument be made for sacred fire entei, be it as a CB sweeper or an Assault Vest tank.

Between its substantial 115 HP and the assault vest, it can tank quite a few hits.

And between sacred fire, stone edge, bulldoze, and espeed, it can put a dent in teams and spread burns, leaving it very easy for a clean up sweeper to take care of business.

I'd say its a C because it had a very specific niche.
We discussed Entei a few pages back. IIRC we put it somewhere around B/B- for the reasons you said.
I like how this thread is turning out to be。
-Genesect
252 SpA Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 164-194 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
( Genesect hardly carrys Flash Canon)

-Greninja
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 213-252 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 270-318 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
(Probably can beat him on a switch)
You're moving your EVs around a lot, which ones do you actually use? Togekiss will get beaten by some of these since he can't run 252 HP, 252+ Def, and 252+ Sp Def (also 4+ Sp Atk on the fire blast vs. lucario calc). I know he's effective, but make it clear that some of these are the physically defensive set and some are the specially defensive set.

You're right that Genesect hardly ever uses flash cannon, a much more relevant move is Iron Head from the CB set.
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 276-326 (73.7 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 576-680 (154 - 181.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Since greninja's come up a bit, I would like to say that the grenenja calc is actually really impressive for the frog. Getting a solid 2HKO on a dedicated special wall is really cool and I would not have expected him to have that much power.

We discussed Entei a few pages back. IIRC we put it somewhere around B/B- for the reasons you said.

You're moving your EVs around a lot, which ones do you actually use? Togekiss will get beaten by some of these since he can't run 252 HP, 252+ Def, and 252+ Sp Def (also 4+ Sp Atk on the fire blast vs. lucario calc). I know he's effective, but make it clear that some of these are the physically defensive set and some are the specially defensive set.

You're right that Genesect hardly ever uses flash cannon, a much more relevant move is Iron Head from the CB set.
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 276-326 (73.7 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 576-680 (154 - 181.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Since greninja's come up a bit, I would like to say that the grenenja calc is actually really impressive for the frog. Getting a solid 2HKO on a dedicated special wall is really cool and I would not have expected him to have that much power.

We'll the neat thing about Togekiss is that his stats are really arrangeable so you can arrange them depending on your team. Some people use Specially Defensive Spreads while some prefer Physically defensive ones, but I'm not saying throw your Specially defensive Togekiss to a Scizor, just use him what he's suited for.

Last edited:

All I can say is I agree. He's easier to use than xzard because he needs no set up, and on to of that, the only things I find dangerous to him are things that are faster and carry stone moves, because special moves don't ohko him (I understand a thundurus-t thunder can ohko but good luck hitting him in the sun)

I also believe Yzard deserves a higher rank, at least equal to xzard's A+ rank

IMO neither of the lati's deserve A+ this gen (seen 2 Latios and 0 Latias in showdown games above 2700 in around ~15 games) based on either viability or usage.

Two of the most used Pokemon (Aegislash & Genesect) completely destroy it (ofc Latios can run a scarf and hp fire Genesect, but in general U-Turn rapes it.)

Let's not forget it's old enemies TTar and Jirachi are still around (TTar is probably top 10 in usage atm. Jirachi not so much.) No Latios set can touch either of those pokes. Ferrothorn is also still here (and while rain is less common at the moment, Latios cannot touch Ferro in the rain.)

I feel like Togekiss is probably in the top 15 usage too right now (at least on higher up ladder games.) Sure, Latios can Psyshock it, but Togekiss should still win in the large majority of cases.

Latias could still run a support set I guess (probably not very well. Togekiss does wish passing much better this gen.) but I don't think it's good enough to be A+.

Alright, as mentioned before, I'd like to nominate Mega-Gardevoir for B-rank, due to sheer power and usable special bulk. Mega-Gardevoir has the strongest sound move in the game I believe, lacking items to boost it but timid gardevoir doing more damage than modest scarf exploud--a calm mind is all it needs to outdamage specs exploud and hit common types super-effectively as well. It also has a very strong STAB-psyshock, able to damage specially defensive pokemon. Add average speed to the mix, and it can lay the hurt on slow physical attackers along with special attackers.

I am nominating Reuniclus for A rank. Reuniclus has the ability with magic guard to break almost any wall. with good bulk it can set calm minds without receiving any indirect damage. Reuniclus can also use a trick room set. Using trick room it can use its opponents speed against it and sweep with little to no support. I think Reuniclus in this generation is a threat and is good enough for A rank.

I am nominating Reuniclus for A rank. Reuniclus has the ability with magic guard to break almost any wall. with good bulk it can set calm minds without receiving any indirect damage. Reuniclus can also use a trick room set. Using trick room it can use its opponents speed against it and sweep with little to no support. I think Reuniclus in this generation is a threat and is good enough for A rank.
Gonna have to disagree and say judging by the definitions, its more of a B rank. Mixed Aegislash destroys it, Scizor and Tyranitar pursuit it, Genesect kills it, and the rising amount of knock-off and dark moves in general isn't helping it either. Sableye walls it completely, Blissey/chansey beat both sets unless psyschock is used. Bc these threats are so popular, proper team support is needed and it can't just be thrown into any team and be successful consistently. For this reason i believe B is better.

Edit: The rise of Slowbro, especially the AV set, probably won't help Reuniclus either

Last edited:
How about tyrantrum?

He has really good coverage with fire and ice fang and earthquake, and a great boosting move in dragon dance which, with a jolly nature, can outspeed I believe neutral 110s.

He also has access to head smash, but with rock head unreleased, it's a double edged sword (that I love wielding)

He has a great revenge killing potential in choice scarf,with the ability to stomach all priority moves (even super effective bullet and Mach punch) and decent physical tanking possibilities with choice band and 252 hp ev's which allows you to abuse head smash.

Someone on the tyrantrum thread suggested a defensive spread with stealth rocks and head smash to deal with defoggers but I don't know how effective that is.

I think I'd nominate him for B-/C+ as a sweeper.

How about tyrantrum?

He has really good coverage with fire and ice fang and earthquake, and a great boosting move in dragon dance which, with a jolly nature, can outspeed I believe neutral 110s.

He also has access to head smash, but with rock head unreleased, it's a double edged sword (that I love wielding)

He has a great revenge killing potential in choice scarf,with the ability to stomach all priority moves (even super effective bullet and Mach punch) and decent physical tanking possibilities with choice band and 252 hp ev's which allows you to abuse head smash.

Someone on the tyrantrum thread suggested a defensive spread with stealth rocks and head smash to deal with defoggers but I don't know how effective that is.

I think I'd nominate him for B-/C+ as a sweeper.
Tyrantrum is not getting an OU analysis and is thus not eligible for ranking.

B is good for Reuni yeah, the current top tiers (Aegislash, Ttar, Scizor and Genesect.) aren't doing it any favor, same thing for Conkeldurr (Who's becoming to be popular as an AV Tank.), Mandibuzz and Bisharp who severely hinders it with Knock off, while the latter can kill it. Fairies aren't good news for Reuniclus, as Moonblast's 30% of lowering SAtk is a thorn in Reuni's side. Also UTurn but that's obvious. It still is a good cleaner, but not as easy to use as it was in 5G, as it now requires some support to work properly.

Tyrantrum is not getting an OU analysis and is thus not eligible for ranking.
He isn't? He has an ongoing thread here on the ou forum and he isn't black listed. I thought those were the qualifications.

Is there a list of Pokemon that aren't getting an ou analysis? And how does a Pokemon qualify for one?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Lol @ Deo-S still being S rank. From OP: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.
Deoxys-Speed is far from an ideal sweeper. At best, it functions as a lead/revenge killer-good at the former job, mediocre at the latter. The only thing I could see is "performing multiple roles effectively", and 2 roles that it always takes is hardly "multiple roles". While it can have diverse attacks, it needs to abuse the most powerful, stat reducing ones to be effective, meaning it will never be able to truly sweep a team. I would suggest it being more along the lines of B rank, as it can't sweep significant portions of the metagame, but fulfills the niche of offensive lead extremely well. A rank would be a possibility due to its great job at supporting, but its team support is limited to hazards.

He isn't? He has an ongoing thread here on the ou forum and he isn't black listed. I thought those were the qualifications.

Is there a list of Pokemon that aren't getting an ou analysis? And how does a Pokemon qualify for one?
Having a thread in the OU forum is not the same thing as getting an analysis. The pokemon who are getting OU analyses can be found here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ou-analyses.255/

Lol @ Deo-S still being S rank. From OP: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths. If there are suspects, they will come from this rank.
Deoxys-Speed is far from an ideal sweeper. At best, it functions as a lead/revenge killer-good at the former job, mediocre at the latter. The only thing I could see is "performing multiple roles effectively", and 2 roles that it always takes is hardly "multiple roles". While it can have diverse attacks, it needs to abuse the most powerful, stat reducing ones to be effective, meaning it will never be able to truly sweep a team. I would suggest it being more along the lines of B rank, as it can't sweep significant portions of the metagame, but fulfills the niche of offensive lead extremely well. A rank would be a possibility due to its great job at supporting, but its team support is limited to hazards.
Deoxys is ranked under this criteria in the definition (bold):

Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns").

Note the "and". Deoxys-S does it's job (hazard setter) extremely well and it is almost impossible to stop it from doing so. It doesn't give the opponent any free turns because it outspeeds everything except priority and can taunt the opponent's set up sweeper or the opponent's own hazard lead. Other supportive pokemon often tend to be set up bait. Deoxys-S isn't.

The other criteria for S-rank (sweep and wall, versatile blah blah...) are basically irrelevant, because a pokemon only has to meet one of the critera in the definition to have a chance to be S-rank. Deoxys-s fits the bolded criteria perfectly.

Last edited:

Deoxys S has some uses : A lead that almost always lives long enough to setup at least 2 hazards, it can act as a potent revenge killer, as a cleaner, and also has access to a wide movepool, which renders it unpredictable.

Even if its roles are pretty much restricted to the ones of a RK or of a Spiker, it is extremely good at what it does, and is a valuable asset to almost any team, justifying the S Rank.

B is good for Reuni yeah, the current top tiers (Aegislash, Ttar, Scizor and Genesect.) aren't doing it any favor, same thing for Conkeldurr (Who's becoming to be popular as an AV Tank.), Mandibuzz and Bisharp who severely hinders it with Knock off, while the latter can kill it. Fairies aren't good news for Reuniclus, as Moonblast's 30% of lowering SAtk is a thorn in Reuni's side. Also UTurn but that's obvious. It still is a good cleaner, but not as easy to use as it was in 5G, as it now requires some support to work properly.
Reuniclus sucks this gen. Probably C+, or even lower. Everything fucks it up, and it being slow + weak to knock off, u turn...

Even if it's bulky (252/252+def set), it'll get worn down quickly because it can't predict, and will end up being forced to switch out from powerful uturns/knock offs before recovering. It'll be a deadweight to the team. It can't even beat mega venu reliably because it's slower and takes a hit from sludge bomb. What else is psychic good for these days anyways?

The TR set wishes it could have more turns. The addition of shadow sneak on aegi doesn't help much, and the even higher rise of heatran, and the newfound amazing mandibuz and umbreon shit on reuniclus.

Sad but true.

Reuniclus sucks this gen. Probably C+, or even lower. Everything fucks it up, and it being slow + weak to knock off, u turn...

Even if it's bulky (252/252+def set), it'll get worn down quickly because it can't predict, and will end up being forced to switch out from powerful uturns/knock offs before recovering. It'll be a deadweight to the team. It can't even beat mega venu reliably because it's slower and takes a hit from sludge bomb. What else is psychic good for these days anyways?

The TR set wishes it could have more turns. The addition of shadow sneak on aegi doesn't help much, and the even higher rise of heatran, and the newfound amazing mandibuz and umbreon shit on reuniclus.

Sad but true.
no

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 114-134 (26.8 - 31.6%) -- 25.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

with minimized attack evs:

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 92-110 (21.6 - 25.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

no

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 114-134 (26.8 - 31.6%) -- 25.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

with minimized attack evs:

0- Atk Umbreon Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 92-110 (21.6 - 25.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
I meant the TR set. I suppose you are right it is not very effective against the 252/252 CM set. But I think you should not run that over TR due to the meta being what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)