Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Welcome to Smogon ^_^

If all you are really after is your SID, then the quickest method to finding it would be to import a Pokemon with your OT into a Gen 6 game and check it there (i.e. with PKHeX). If you are unable to do this, I would be happy to check it for you. :)

You can check which seed you get in the RNG Reporter with its Seed Finder/Generator tool (4th Gen Tools > Find Seed by IVs, for example). You would need to know the IVs for a random Pokemon you catch, or just its stats if it is a high enough level (say 45-50+).

There is also a tool in the RNG Reporter that can calculate the seed/PID from a Pokemon's IVs (4th gen tools > Calculate PID from IVs). It will accomplish the same thing as X_Act's tool.

Or, if you are more technically inclined and don't like any of the above options, you can calculate the location of 2 of your Munchlax trees manually with only your TID (as described here).

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I think this is exactly what I need. Can you give me a link to the RNG Reporter IV to PID?
The tool is embedded within the RNG Reporter itself: In the main window, open the 4th Gen Tools dropdown and click on Calculate PID from IVs. You can download the RNG Reporter from here (or here if you need an XP compatible version).

edit: Didn't mention this before, but rather than calculate the trees manually you can also use the calculator you found to find the 2 trees based on your TID. Just use your TID and 2 random SIDs and see which routes are the same between the 2 cases.

Last edited:
Yes I got that part, but where's the RNG Reporter? I don't want to download it and I tried to search it on Smogon, but I get a 403 Forbidden error.

Thanks, but that's a download. I'm not downloading anything. What I need is a link to the RNG Reporter that shiny finder mentioned.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yes I got that part, but where's the RNG Reporter? I don't want to download it and I tried to search it on Smogon, but I get a 403 Forbidden error.
As Ksh pointed out, the RNG Reporter is an exe and is not available online (i.e. you have to download it to use it). If you don't want to download anything, then importing a Pokemon and trading it to me or figuring out only 2 of your 3/4 trees by hand or with the tree calculator you linked are your best options as of now.

I'm currently trying to re-host the IV to PID applet (or at least a comparable tool). Looks like it only supports Method 1. I'll edit in a link once I have it up and running.

Aside: I pulled that 9.96.6 Alpha 3 download link in my post from the 5th gen thread OP .com. Seems to work for me...

Last edited:
Crap. Well I hope I still remember how to do this. If I can pull this off, I'll let you know.

Hold on. You said it was an EXE. Isn't that the file scammers and hackers use to put malware on your computer? You're not trying to hide something, are you?

The tool is embedded within the RNG Reporter itself: In the main window, open the 4th Gen Tools dropdown and click on Calculate PID from IVs. You can download the RNG Reporter from here (or here if you need an XP compatible version).

edit: Didn't mention this before, but rather than calculate the trees manually you can also use the calculator you found to find the 2 trees based on your TID. Just use your TID and 2 random SIDs and see which routes are the same between the 2 cases.
Oh THERE it is! You did have the download the first time, I just didn't notice the hyperlink.

Alright, now I have two RNG Reporter from you guys which one's NOT the EXE?

Moderator edit: Don't triple post.

Last edited by a moderator:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hold on. You said it was an EXE. Isn't that the file scammers and hackers use to put malware on your computer? You're not trying to hide something, are you?
Alright, now I have two RNG Reporter from you guys which one's NOT the EXE?
  1. Nope. .exe files are executables. Yes, it's possible to have viruses contained in these, as it is with any file type, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the two people who offered you the download links have no reason to attempt to deceive you (and several reasons to not).
  2. RNG Reporter is packaged as an .exe. You won't find a version of it that isn't one.

These Reporters aren't working. 4th gen tools, Calculate PID, enter Nature, IVs, ID (that means TID, right?), click Find, nothing happens.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
These Reporters aren't working. 4th gen tools, Calculate PID, enter Nature, IVs, ID (that means TID, right?), click Find, nothing happens.
Yes, the ID is the TID. Are you certain of your Pokemon's IVs? If you fought with it and it has EVs that might be throwing off your IV calculation. Which shiny Pokemon are you working with?

It's a shiny Wurmple from the route 221 honey tree. I nicknamed it and put it straight in the box. I've never battled with it, nor has it ever been in my party.

But EVs shouldn't be a problem. The calculator only asks for IVs, TID, and Nature (this is less information than the calculator I was originally using needed, the one that gave me more than one possible SID).

IVs are the Pokémon's stats, right? HP, Atk, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Spd. I need to enter those values that my Wurmple had when I caught it, right?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
It's a shiny Wurmple from the route 221 honey tree. I nicknamed it and put it straight in the box. I've never battled with it, nor has it ever been in my party.

But EVs shouldn't be a problem. The calculator only asks for IVs, TID, and Nature (this is less information than the calculator I was originally using needed, the one that gave me more than one possible SID).

IVs are the Pokémon's stats, right? HP, Atk, Def, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Spd. I need to enter those values that my Wurmple had when I caught it, right?
The stats are related to the IVs, but aren't the same thing. You'll need to calculate the IVs of your Wurmple using an IV calculator like Metalkid's. You'll have to level up the Wurmple so you can get its exact IVs (just remember to not save afterward so you don't keep the level change). If you have 2 games/DS, you could enter a wifi battle to auto-level it up to 50/100 (100 would be preferred) and use its stats at level 100 to find the exact IVs. If you level it up by battling, you may have to raise ~15+ levels.

Since you find the IVs by the stats and the EVs increase the stats, the EVs are important. If you battle with your Wurmple to check its IVs, make sure you keep note of the EVs as well so you can put them into the IV calculator.

So here's what I've gathered from Metalkid: I need a level up. I can level it up a few times to get the IVs narrowed down by entering the stats for each level. One catch though: how do I know the EVs beyond the level I caught it? According to Metalkid, a newly caught Pokemon's EVs are 0, and the IV calculator needs the EVs. So when I level up, how do I know the new EVs.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
So here's what I've gathered from Metalkid: I need a level up. I can level it up a few times to get the IVs narrowed down by entering the stats for each level. One catch though: how do I know the EVs beyond the level I caught it? According to Metalkid, a newly caught Pokemon's EVs are 0, and the IV calculator needs the EVs. So when I level up, how do I know the new EVs.
You have to look up the EV value granted by the Pokemon you defeat. I usually use Serebii's pokedex for that. If you look near under the ability section, you'll see a section called "Effort Values Earned". For example, a Zubat grants you 1 EV every time you defeat it (provided you're not using a Power Item and your Pokemon doesn't have Pokerus).

That's what I thought. I'll get the stats and get the SID.

Now that I understand IVs and EVs, it looks like I could've used the PID/SID calculator I had in the first place. But I'll stick to manual; that thing takes forever to scan (unless it won't now that I have all the data for the calculator...).

What is it that made HG/SS the preferred game for IV breeding over Platinum? It's been awhile since I've done either, but if it was a lack of a way to advance the frame by 1 (since the Journal does it by 2), we now know we can use Chatot for that.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
What is it that made HG/SS the preferred game for IV breeding over Platinum? It's been awhile since I've done either, but if it was a lack of a way to advance the frame by 1 (since the Journal does it by 2), we now know we can use Chatot for that.
2 reasons :

1. HG/SS has exclusive Egg Moves, so if you do DPPt you could be missing out on some moves.

2. Kinda less important, but verifying your seed with roamers is much much quicker than using coin flips / Elm calls, so HG/SS RNG is quicker in general. Also you can advance frames very quickly (but a little bit inaccurately) with the radio, so hitting a 200+ frame is actually a viable option that doesn't take hours :P

2 reasons :

1. HG/SS has exclusive Egg Moves, so if you do DPPt you could be missing out on some moves.

2. Kinda less important, but verifying your seed with roamers is much much quicker than using coin flips / Elm calls, so HG/SS RNG is quicker in general. Also you can advance frames very quickly (but a little bit inaccurately) with the radio, so hitting a 200+ frame is actually a viable option that doesn't take hours :P
And 3. It's much harder to RNG in Solaceon Town because of the large amount of moving NPCs. Don't bother breeding in DPPt and just go straight to HGSS is the easily the best thing you can do. Getting a shiny egg is also easier because you can just look for a 1 frame egg. If you hit the frame, you got a shiny egg, that's literally it. :P

Thanks. I'm breeding in HG/SS for PID and IVs. I got the PID part nailed down, but when I hit my seed for IVs (verified via roamers), I did the entire sequence of Elm calls listed in the Time Finder, skipping the first 3 that the Seed to Time feature told me to skip. According to that, the lone NPC on the route had not advanced any frames prior to my first call. I quickly closed the menu and got my egg. My target was IV frame 12, but the egg I got was frame 14 I believe. Does this mean that the NPC advanced 2 extra frames in between my closing the menu and speaking to the man, or did I do something wrong? Eggs start on IV frame 1, right?

I know I've done this correctly many times before, but long ago.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, the IVs start on frame 1 (essentially 4 here since you have 3 roamers present). Assuming the last call you heard was on the frame before your target (i.e. you heard the call on frame 11 and then picked up your egg), you most likely missed your frame because of the NPC.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Thanks. I'm breeding in HG/SS for PID and IVs. I got the PID part nailed down, but when I hit my seed for IVs (verified via roamers), I did the entire sequence of Elm calls listed in the Time Finder, skipping the first 3 that the Seed to Time feature told me to skip. According to that, the lone NPC on the route had not advanced any frames prior to my first call. I quickly closed the menu and got my egg. My target was IV frame 12, but the egg I got was frame 14 I believe. Does this mean that the NPC advanced 2 extra frames in between my closing the menu and speaking to the man, or did I do something wrong? Eggs start on IV frame 1, right?

I know I've done this correctly many times before, but long ago.
Could you take a screenshot / give me the seed and what frame you got up to, and what you hit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)