Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be nothing, but the monolith on the island where we are assuming we catch the legendaries resembles the central part of the front gate of the 'castle' on island 4. Perhaps they are related? I could see it being a place to 'unlock their potential', if that exists, but it is probably more likely to be the story trigger that makes us go to island 3.Must say I'm a bit disappointed that the legendaries are psychic types (I was rooting for fairy), but we'll see how it turns out.

There's an image that's attached to Pyritie's post that contains screenshots of the pokédex pages for the starters, and there's an image of each of the starters on each respective top screen, along with two pokéballs that are positioned differently for each starter. This indicates that stylistically, families are going to be placed together on the pages, not unlike the dex from FR/LG. It also seems to give hints toward the sizes of the starters' evolutions.
Okay, this is a really good find.

I'm still hyped, although the new typings have us all a bit confused. Food for thought with Solgaleo:

IT'S LITERALLY A F*CKING METAGROSS. (Metagross is cool though :p)

Of course as long as there's stuff to differentiate the two I can't really complain.

As for Lunala, it's total sucker punch bait. Poor thing.

Personally, I'm hoping we'll see some sort of way that the typings (especially for Lunala) will improve, maybe with a new form or something (Remember when everyone thought Primal Groudon's 4x water weakness would be a problem? Desolate Land wasn't revealed yet). Otherwise, scarf Knock Off for the both of them. At least the animations look cool.

I was right about predicting multiple islands; they should be fun to explore.

The RotomDex thing seems odd but I expect it to make the dex more interactive than ever, since I typically never use the dex during playthroughs.

Last edited:
Kind of a shame that Lunala isn't Dark/Fairy as I hoped, and it has an ability that's just a clone of Multiscale. However, unlike Clear Body, which Full Metal Body is a clone of, Multiscale is a pretty good ability. Whether this means Lunala will become an offensive or defensive Pokemon is up to interpretation. I just hope it'll have good speed so it won't easily be revenged by Knock Off. nerf dark pls gamefreak

Also, for those of you wondering why Solageo is Psychic/Steel and weak to Fire, the reason for its steel typing comes from the "Lion who eats the sun", which Solageo is partly based off of. It represents the purification of metals, hence its part Steel typing. And as for being weak to Fire, as soon as a star ignites, it begins dying. Our sun, which is a star, has been (very slowly) dying, and since Solageo represents the sun, it makes sense.

Also, judging by Sunsteel Strike's animation, Solageo's probably going to be a physical attacker, so Clear Body 2.0 will prove somewhat useful against Intimidate, I guess.

Is there any chance at all Lunala will be good competitively (ie: Uber-tier)?
It doesn't look incredibly fast (and the trend of legendaries implies it's not going to be) and is terrified of both Pursuit and Sucker Punch, meaning it really can't do anything to Dark types.
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it will be good and I'm drawing blanks. Even with a Geomancy-like move Sucker Punch will likely clean OHKO it as most competitive Dark types have good attack.

Last edited:
Is there any chance at all Lunaala will be good competitively (ie: Uber-tier)?
It doesn't look incredibly fast (and the trend of legendaries implies it's not going to be) and is terrified of both Pursuit and Sucker Punch, meaning it really can't do anything to Dark types.
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it will be good and I'm drawing blanks. Even with a Geomancy-like move Sucker Punch will likely clean OHKO it as most competitive Dark types have good attack.
Don't forget Knock Off.

Lunala has a Multiscale clone for ability, so it can play its cards with hazard removal support. There's also the fact that, at worst, you can find a Tyranitar with Pursuit or an Yveltal or Mega Kangaskhan with Sucker Punch (Unless Bisharp gets some reason to be common out there in Gen VII), and it's a Ghost-type, so it can't be trapped by Mega Gengar. In that part, Lunala is safe.

Is there any chance at all Lunaala will be good competitively (ie: Uber-tier)?
I think that it is safe to assume (without wishlisting) that Lunala will get Moonblast to hit Dark-types.
"Multiscale" is an awesome Ability that could allow Lunala to set up something (if it gets a set up move) or stay alive with Moonlight recovery.
Ghost is a great offensive typing that hits all the common Ghost- and Psychic-type Ubers for a lot of damage and is not easy to wall.
It is impossible to say without knowing Lunala's stats and movepool, but I think that people are disregarding this thing too soon.

How many uber mons actually use Knock Off or Sucker Punch? Yveltal and?

I think that it is safe to assume (without wishlisting) that Lunala will get Moonblast to hit Dark-types.
"Multiscale" is an awesome Ability that could allow Lunala to set up something (if it gets a set up move) or stay alive with Moonlight recovery.
Ghost is a great offensive typing that hits all the common Psychic-type Ubers for a lot of damage and is not easy to wall.
It is impossible to say without knowing Lunala's stats and movepool, but I think that people are disregarding this thing too soon.

Fair enough. We really need to see it before we can pass judgment. But even with a Multiscale like ability it doesn't fill me with hope.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Solgaleo having base 137 HP is worrying (this goes off of the GF model where they have the showcase mone have 31 IVs + no EVS and the target mon having no EVs and no IVs). That is a large chunk of its supposed 680 stat total and is slightly worrying as a result. If its sig move is 120 BP, it would need at least base 145 Atk (it's likely 150)to have a shot of OHKOing a 0IV/0IV Salamence like that. Pls no Hyper Beam / Sky Attack clone.
Increasing the BP to 130 (plausible since Reshiram and Zekrom get 130 BP STAB) lowers the minimum base Attack threshold to 135 Attack.

I wouldn't worry yet - you can still do a lot of nasty stuff with 680 BST (137/145/90/95/90/123 would be super dope, for instance).

Few. Deoxys-Attack/Yveltal are the only common users of Knock Off and Yveltal/Mega Kangaskhan are the only common users of Sucker Punch. Knock Off is much less prevalent in Ubers because more Pokemon per team will not lose their item (Megas, Primals, Arceus-formes) and not many Ubers actually get the move.

Lunala's biggest concern would be Shadow Sneak from Giratina-O since that mon is quite common.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any chance at all Lunala will be good competitively (ie: Uber-tier)?
If it turns out to be fast enough to outspeed Gengar it will be pretty good I imagine. Don't underestimate the power of strong Ghost STAB, especially if it gets something like Moonblast to crush Dark-types. It doesn't have the defensive typing to abuse Shadow Shield but it could use it as a way to switch-in (assuming hazards are clear) to quite a few things to start tossing out powerful Moongeist Beams. Think CBNite in terms of Multiscale usage.

I'm curious as to whether there's any actual utility for the moves' secondary effect of ignoring abilities. I can see it working on Sunsteel Strike if it's a contact move, as well as LOL Shedinja, but apart from that...

i figued out why solgaleo is steel. Besides the fact its relation to Gallium, it also says on the website, that sunsteel strike charges with the force of a METEOR(a common source of rare metals)

I'm still not entirely convinced judging their competitive potential is wise right now. While we did get abilities and typings, base stats and movepools can change absolutely everything. And so far, we only know their signature moves - which we don't even know the base power of - and we only know the approximate HP stat of Solgaleo. They could either turn out abysmal or tier superstars, we just don't know.
And, as had been stated millions of times... it's not as if we're going into a third version with a few new event 'mon and Megas where we can accurately judge how they might effect the metagame. We're going into a new metagame which may change up things in every single area to very large degrees. We still have no way to really judge how well these guys'll do.

I'm curious as to whether there's any actual utility for the moves' secondary effect of ignoring abilities. I can see it working on Sunsteel Strike if it's a contact move, as well as LOL Shedinja, but apart from that...
Hitting Lugia through Multiscale might be useful if it allows them to avoid a Thunder Wave, Toxic or Whirlwind or something.

Increasing the BP to 130 (plausible since Reshiram and Zekrom get 130 BP STAB) lowers the minimum base Attack threshold to 135 Attack.

I wouldn't worry yet - you can still do a lot of nasty stuff with 680 BST (137/145/90/95/90/123 would be super dope, for instance).

Few. Deoxys-Attack/Yveltal are the only common users of Knock Off and Yveltal/Mega Kangaskhan are the only common users of Sucker Punch. Knock Off is much less prevalent in Ubers because more Pokemon per team will not lose their item (Megas, Primals, Arceus-formes) and not many Ubers actually get the move.

Lunala's biggest concern would be Shadow Sneak from Giratina-O since that mon is quite common.
I wouldn't count on Base 123 speed for Solageo. It seems like it would be slow but bulky. Probably base 90 speed like SO many legendaries.

I was thinking of the possibility of Full Metal Body protecting Solgaleo from burn's Attack drop and paralysis's Speed drop. Considering it's description it is unlikely, but it would be a nice way to differentiate it from Clear Body/White Smoke.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Lunala's biggest hurdle is whether it will outspeed Darkrai or not imo. It definitely looks like it can, but whether it will or not remains to be seen.

I don't think Lunala is gonna be THAT fast; the fastest a cover legend has ever been is Lugia at 110 iirc, (not counting Mega Rayquaza.) That said, if Game Freak were to change things up, I'd be down.

They need to stop doing stuff on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays cause I get eight pages behind (which is the exact number I called)!

First things first:
I love Rotom-D. I've always been a big fan of Rotom, and the idea of a Rotom Pokédex is so awesome! Also, it kinda lets us break the six Pokémon rule...sorta...
I also love about the QR codes making it easier to complete the Dex. Hopefully, it will count as caught, not seen, which will make National Dex completion much easier.

Solgaleo's typing and ability disappoints me. This sums it up for me:
Food for thought with Solgaleo:

IT'S LITERALLY A F*CKING METAGROSS.
Multiscale Shadow Armor will be useful for Lunala to help with those two quad-weaknesses. Especially since you can take advantage of the Dark weakness and Shadow Armor with Weakness Policy. Knock Off would make it stronger! If it gets something like Agility, it could be a great set up sweeper.

I do like how Sturdy will be nothing to these new legends with their signature move. On Moongeist Beam, I assume it's Ghost, but I can't be sure, even with "geist" in the name. I'm looking at you, Dragon Ascent. Even the fact that it's super effective against Gengar doesn't mean it won't be Psychic (Poison!). It's likely Ghost, but you never know.

On the Pokémon of the Moon being x4 weak to Dark: remember, Dark isn't darkness. It's Evil-type in Japan. That's not that ironic.

When I read our new rival's name, my first thought was that he's the Mask of Shielding.

Anyone else? Just me? Okay...

I have to say that Alola is looking like it will be a great region. It seems like that there actually might be a good bit of exploration (something that's been missing starting with Black and White) and I actually am digging the tropical feel (something that I've warmed up too since I felt like ORAS did it better than RSE).

The new graphics for the HP bars, etc. is making me think of the '90s. Especially GUTS. If Victory Road is the Aggro Crag and I get a Glowing Piece of the Radical Rock when I become the champion, I would be very happy.

It made the super effective sound on gengar, so it's either ghost or dark type.
Or Psychic, which also would be STAB. Or even Ground since it would avoid Levitate (though the latter is unlikely).

Kind of worried about what this means for hand-holding in the adventure...
I have a feeling based on the description that it might be a bit like the improved Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask 3D where it acts like a notebook, keeping track of information as you get it.

lunala really needs to have a ridiculous amount of bst to be effective.
BST of Cover Legendaries:
GSC: 680/680/580
RSE: 670/670/680
DPPt:680/680/680
BWB2W2:680/680/700/700
XY: 680/680
I think Solgaleo and Lunala will have BST to spare. For Lunala to be OU, it would most likely need the wrong movepool for its stats, like Kyurem-Black not having a good physical Ice STAB.
Also, how good Lunala is in Ubers doesn't matter for it being in the tier. What matters is how good it is in OU.

I need to go here right now this looks so amazing
I have a feeling that will be Victory Road and the Pokémon League. It feels like it.

People be upset that they got clone abilities when it could be a lot worse. Doesn't anyone remember the exciting reveal of Dialga and Palkia's abilities being Pressure?
This. Also, I don't mind a clone of Multiscale with a cooler name, it's just that Solgaleo being Psychic/Steel with Not Clear Body is disappointing since we've seen this exact combination before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)