Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
On the note of Cresselia, I wonder how they are going to deal with the moves introduced in PLA

Cause you know what is scarrier than a Poison Cresselia? A Poison Cresselia with Recover + Double Team in one move slot
YESYESYESYES! That is so much better than if Cresselia got Cosmic Power! >:D
I'd say sorry about that, but I'm not. I'm a shameless heartless stall fanatic.

There's no need to be afraid of it though it's probably getting changed if it isn't getting cut because of Lunar Dance coming back. If it's the same in SV, it's getting banned under the Evasion Clause and we'll only be able to use it in game to torture SV's version of the Battle Tower. (It'd still be in Anything Goes, so maybe I should ask Mega Rayquaza if they're still the most broken Pokemon.)

I don't think I need to remind that some moves had changes from the main ones to P:LA, like Shadow Force raising Evasion or Mimic working like how Copycat works instead.

The speculation and theorymoning, even at this stage where we don't know a ton, is fun though. Plus it helps give you ideas for where you want to start when teambuilding once the games launch. Like with me wanting to start with a team of Sylveon/Arcanine/Noivern and have the filler be stuff like a physical ground and/or steel type and something that would be a great alternative to Fairy-Tera Pixilate Hyper Voice Sylveon (which likely would be the aformentioned Ground and/or Steel.)
Of course many people have already pointed out Tera-Normal Toxtricity, but I for one am also interested in the potential of Fairy-types changing to Fire (STAB on Mystical Fire, surprise Steels, etc). Early meta builds will be fun.

*cresselia and stuff*
I remember seeing someone solo the entire Volo fight with one Cresselia because of the evasion/healing buff (in case you're wondering the set was Moonblast/Ice Beam/Lunar Blessing/either Psychic or Recover because I forgot) and thinking, "This will be so broken in Gen 9." Pity.

EDIT: Cresselia in BSS and VGC gonna be pretty wild huh

iirc some of the moves had alternate effects internally so I'm guessing if these get brought forward they'll use those, and then just update the ones that didn't have that.
And as for not bringing moves forward I feel like it'll really only be Cresselia & Manaphy because they used those to replace their former moves that wouldn't mesh as well with PLA.
Although...interestingly they did give Phione Take Heart. Maybe Phione can keep it. As a treat.

Theorymoning is usually right most of the time. It’s only when new information that wasn’t revealed is later discovered, and it kind of is still right most of the time.
Like most people would assume the Galar Fossils were PU, up until their signature moves where revealed. Which case, I think almost everyone would agree all 4 would be PU or NU without their busted signature moves.

Theorymoning is usually right most of the time. It’s only when new information that wasn’t revealed is later discovered, and it kind of is still right most of the time.
Like most people would assume the Galar Fossils were PU, up until their signature moves where revealed. Which case, I think almost everyone would agree all 4 would be PU or NU without their busted signature moves.
Remember when they said Spectrier was garbage? Or that Agile Urshifu was leagues better than single strike? Or regieleki beeing trash due to its movepool?

What im saying is theorymonning is super fun because its like opening a schoolyesrbook and facepalming over all the stupid dumb stuff you did as a kid.

Spyro

Banned deucer.
Is anyone else hoping the tera boost doesn't stack with boosting items kind of like how dynamax ignores Choice Band and Specs. There's no info regarding this right? Either this or I hope they're not in the game at all. It would be nice to have a tera meta.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Remember when they said Spectrier was garbage? Or that Agile Urshifu was leagues better than single strike? Or regieleki beeing trash due to its movepool?

What im saying is theorymonning is super fun because its like opening a schoolyesrbook and facepalming over all the stupid dumb stuff you did as a kid.
Sounds like is a good time to post this
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-xy-general-discussion.3483415/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...e-datamine-general-discussion-thread.3586427/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-sword-and-shield-datamine-thread.3656143/

Theorymoning is quite fun, trying to predict what could happen despite the limited information never ends well, but you always have a good time.
I'm just waiting for the datamine season in a month before making any bad takes outside discord.
Is anyone else hoping the tera boost doesn't stack with boosting items kind of like how dynamax ignores Choice Band and Specs. There's no info regarding this right? Either this or I hope they're not in the game at all. It would be nice to have a tera meta.
I doubt they would do that, but it is possible, Dynamax turn off choice items after all, but that had more to do with replacing the old moveset with max moves, with Tera there shouldn't be a gameplay need, other than balance as I'm in the "Tera looks broken" boat.

Sounds like is a good time to post this
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-xy-general-discussion.3483415/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...e-datamine-general-discussion-thread.3586427/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-sword-and-shield-datamine-thread.3656143/

Theorymoning is quite fun, trying to predict what could happen despite the limited information never ends well, but you always have a good time.
I'm just waiting for the datamine season in a month before making any bad takes outside discord.

I doubt they would do that, but it is possible, Dynamax turn off choice items after all, but that had more to do with replacing the old moveset with max moves, with Tera there shouldn't be a gameplay need, other than balance as I'm in the "Tera looks broken" boat.
Oh hey i'm right there on that second one.
EDIT: Oh god the cringe.
EDIT2: Well the Incineroar call was really obvious though. IDK why I thought Decid would use Sucker Punch. Definitely called Prim wrong (Although it was used a bit in this gen's VGC)

Last edited:
Well it was the opposite. People thought Regieleki was going to be amazing because of its 200 Speed and Transistor ability (which I’ll admit I’m guilty of). Ended up being trash.
In singles at least. It's got really high usage in VGC/Battle Spot Doubles although Kyogre being one of the most used 'mons and Dynamax are probably important factors for that. Getting no coverage and the fact that Ground-types (like Landoge) are Immune to it's only real attacking type is a nerf a lotta people don't seem to consider.

In singles at least. It's got really high usage in VGC/Battle Spot Doubles although Kyogre being one of the most used 'mons and Dynamax are probably important factors for that. Getting no coverage and the fact that Ground-types (like Landoge) are Immune to it's only real attacking type is a nerf a lotta people don't seem to consider.
And Electroweb. The new speed mechanics mean that speed modifiers now take place immediately, and thanks to Eleki’s insane speed, it’s more less guaranteed to get the speed control off, only second to prankster. Heck, Eleki’s so fast that it can you need to be 88 base speed or higher to Outspeed it with a neutral nature, and Regieleki could even use Choice Scarf to be faster still and apply pressure with speed control.

As for testralizing, I think people often forget that its effect ends if you switch. This means that defensive Pokémon are not good testralizers since they struggle to keep the momentum up unless it’s 1v1 ( Where it will most likely be banned ).

And speaking of Legends Moves, I wonder how the Lake Guardians signature move will translate to the main series. If it’s identical to PLA version, it would be a +1 to Attack and Sp.Atk if the attack stat was higher, and the converse is true for the defensive stats. Azelf would definitely be OU as a result, even Uxie and Mespirit would likely be higher tiers, especially if the latter kept recover.

EDIT: My bad it’s permanent.

Last edited:
And speaking of Legends Moves, I wonder how the Lake Guardians signature move will translate to the main series. If it’s identical to PLA version, it would be a +1 to Attack and Sp.Atk if the attack stat was higher, and the converse is true for the defensive stats. Azelf would definitely be OU as a result, even Uxie and Mespirit would likely be higher tiers, especially if the latter kept recover.
They could drop the power down to 40-50 and the offensive version would be fine. Power-Up Punch but boosts both stats isn't noticeably better, and it's not like Azelf is a ridiculously scary sweeper, though less 4MSS for the boosting sets is nice.

The defensive version is the concern. The devs have been very paranoid about giving out Cosmic Power style buffs, even if the boost is justified(Zamazenta weeps). Boost both defenses plus deal STAB damage would be concerning.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I feel like the most likely option is that it will boost whichever one of Atk, Def, Sp Atk or Sp Def is higher. Either that or only affect Special. It boosting both phys/spec at once is just a Legends thing bc that is how stats work in that game and we should not at all assume the new stat boosters will work the same in vanilla

For that matter idt the current BP is broken either. Seems like a rather niche move for any of the 3, I feel like you'd rather go for Psychic or Psyshock for outright offense o other moves that have better utility for defense

Hmm... Since Legends turned Protect into an evasion move, maybe Cresselia's signature move would work like Recover + Protect in a bog-standard game? Still annoying to deal with, but at least it only has an effect for one turn.
I was under the impression that Protect was never in PLA (I even checked Bulbapedia) so have I missed something?

Protect in the Volo fight would be awesome against Giratina though.

I was under the impression that Protect was never in PLA (I even checked Bulbapedia) so have I missed something?
It's not, but Shadow Force obscures the user in Legends, and in normal games functions sort of like Protect + an attack.

The other four moves (from what I can tell) that obscure the user are Mud-Slap, Mud Bomb, Lunar Blessing, and Shelter. The mud moves lower accuracy in normal games, so it's not like obscurity is only for two-turn semi-invulnerable moves. Shelter has never been in a normal game since it's Hisuian Goodra's signature move, but from the flavor it sounds similar to Baneful Bunker or Spiky Shield where it's just Protect with a secondary effect. Lunar Blessing though, I have no idea what it would do in a normal game. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for why it obscures the user in the first place.

Following Theorymoning, I do think Terastal will be broken:

-Not the defensive one that changes type (see: Cresselia, Avalugg, Blissey). They just change what beats them, but they are still beatable.
-Not the offensive one that change type either (see: Volcarona Ground, Barraskewda Fight or Psychic, etc.), since they lose the original type and just change their checks.
-However, at least in theory, Super STAB does sound broken. The checks are the same, but work way worse now, especially since the boost can be stacked with weather, terrain, boosting items or abilities like Adaptability too. So, you kinda need immunities or x4 resistances to even remotely check defensively EVERY OFFENSIVE THREAT. This is a short list of the Mons I think will have to be banned in order to preserve Terastal:
-Swift Swim, unless you pack Gastrodon or similar in every team, they will just break you. And even then, some might Terastal not in water type, but in the other STAB they have, like Kingdra or Mantine, whose Draco Meteor or Hurricane will demolish Gastro, Volcanion, etc. Blissey of course will probably still wall these, but outside of Stall it's not logic to pack Bliss in every team.
-Bolt Beak and Fishous Rend. Same as above, every single abusser just looks too broken if for some reason the immunity gets removed.
-Heatran. With the current Movepool I already consider this one broken, and despite losing Steel typing, I can't imagine almost anything that stops Fire Terastal Magma Storm if Heatran gets in. Opposite Heatran gets defeated by Earth Power, Tyranitar can get hit by Body Press, Blissey gets Taunted. Only Slowking and Rain teams are safe.
-Victini after Heatran gets banned. Band V Create demolishes resists unless they are supported by Rain. There are currently no good Flash Fire users other than Heatran.
-Tapu Lele. Currently there are already few non Dark Mons that can take 2 hits from both Specs Psyshock AND Specs Psychic. With Terastal in mind, the number drops to almost 0, so you will need a Dark (who arguably do take better non Stab Moonblasts) in almost every team and good prediction.
-Speaking of Darks, Band Knock Off from Weavile or Bisharp (who according to the leaks got an evolution btw) also sounds broken. Other Dark moves can be soaked, but Knock Off looks way too powerful if boosted by both Band and Terastal.
-Yanmega. This guy has Tinted Lens and even if it's usually unranked in OU, I have used it to some success in every available Gen. Not only Terastal will make that power higher, but also will remove the x4 weakness to Rocks, allowing Yanmega to come into the field more often. Flying Type has almost no good x4 resists (Magnezone is the only one, but it's not very bulky). Heatran (especially offensive versions) was already close to being 2HKOd by Specs Air Slash, with Terastal in mind Yanmega might even 1vs1 it (since Magma Storm won't OHKO back anymore). Bug Terastal also sounds very good, despite being a worse type both defensively and offensively, Bug Buzz hits even harder than Air Slash.
-Melmetal. Yes, this guy already suspected without Terastal can have Double Iron Bash even more powerful, blowing through the few checks it has.
-Porygon-Z. I think both +1 (from Download) and Adaptability + Specs + Terastal Tri-Atrack will 2HKO both Blissey and almost any Steel. Maybe Tyranitar does live 2 hits though, but running it and a ghost (who are still weak to coverage moves) in every non HO team is not reasonable.
-Basculegion. This has never been released, but it has Adaptability + high enough Speed and power. If it has a good Ghost Stab, I can't see it staying. Even with just Water STAB it could blow through every non immune Mon in Rain. Crawdaunt and Araquanid are even stronger, but at least they are slow.
-Kartana. That Band Leaf Blade now will only be stopped by x4 resists. Forget about Zapdos and probably a single crit will delete Tornadus-T from existance.
-Dragapult. Has more checks than the above Mons, but for far less power and with no coverage Spectrier ended up banned.

Of course, this is still Theorymoning and depends on many things:
-The exact power boost of Super Stab (it has been calculated to be x3 of No Stab though) .
-The non Dexited Pokedex (for example, Heatran and Galarian fossils have been Dexited according to leaks) .
-The expected movexit. If Weavile and Bisharp lose Knock Off, they are very far from broken even with Terastal.
-The possible new mechanics we don't know about yet.

Still, if Terastal is even remotely close in power to the predictions, I think it will be banned since it's easier to ban the mechanic entirely that to ban 20 Mons broken with it or a Complex (no Super STAB) Ban.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Idk, if the reveal has to come in same way of the last one, as a Japanese only thing that we barely get 3 minutes of and with the bare minimum subtitles, I'd rather them not reveal anything at all.
Eh it still gave us a new character, mon and ability to look forward to. I really don't think it being subtitled matters much at all

Besides, these gimmicky trailers tend to be way rarer than regular ones and I doubt they'd do two gimmick trailers in a row

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)