SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

I would think game freak must be aware of the popularity of Mega Pokemon. I mean between Pokemon go and just the reception that Mega Pokemon got in a way that Z moves and gigantamax did not get one would have to assume they understand at least that people like Mega Evolution better than their other gimmicks
Megas have that enduring charm of not being extreme departures from old favourite mons, but giving them actual competitive bite after years and years of obscene power creep.

I used to use Mawile in Gen 3 OU where it was severely outclassed, but the combo of Intimidate and bolt-beam punches actually let it do some work (actually, I must be thinking of Gen 4 if punches. Should go do some Chomp EQ calcs). Gen 4 and then Gen 5 crept the power so much, though, that all those mons on the margins just tumbled out of any viability at all. It was so nice to use Mawile again, and much more effectively. I'm still waiting for similar treatment for Jumpluff and Noctowl (both atrociously sub-par but heaps fun in Gen 3 OU).

They feel like a much more natural iteration than G-max, and so natural it's hard to untwine "Slowpoke" from "Mega Slowpoke" or "Lopunny" from "Mega Lopunny". Their absence just feels conspicuous.

Last edited:
I feel like this will get patched out, because there's no way they plan to bring *every* ability back; think about mons like Shedinja or Plusle and Minun with signature abilities they wouldn't commit to bringing back, even if there were plans for the big hitters like Primal Groudon. The strongest evidence would be if there are any known to have been removed but the primal ones and Neuroforce still haven't, but as far as I know that's not the case.
For now we don't really know.

For all we know I could be spouting nonsense and they really plan to reintroduce megas/primals in one of the DLCs (after all, paradoxes, expecially ancient ones, aren't exactly too far from megas as far as ferality).
Plus there's this irking thing I have with the fact Koraidon sets sun but there is no rain countepart...
(same for the elec terrain thing)

What did BDSP do? I never even so much as looked at its general direction so I have no idea.
In BDSP you could gain affection past the "activation point" by just battling normally so you'd have your pokes start to actually use affection effects (heal status, endure kos, auto-crit, etc) slightly after the halfway point of the game if you kept them from start.

I feel like this will get patched out, because there's no way they plan to bring *every* ability back; think about mons like Shedinja or Plusle and Minun with signature abilities they wouldn't commit to bringing back, even if there were plans for the big hitters like Primal Groudon. The strongest evidence would be if there are any known to have been removed but the primal ones and Neuroforce still haven't, but as far as I know that's not the case.
Plusle and Minun’s ability is found on a bunch of other Pokemon. Did Mareep lose it? It’s in this game.

I still am of the opinion that there should be a baby Pokemon that links Tauros and Miltank. Certainly makes more sense than Chingling
Eh, Chingling makes a bit more sense now that Chimecho has stats on par with Banette and Dusclops. Far more on point than Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff and Azurill.

But yeah, baby calf, shared preevo fro Throh and Sawk, one of those rad as hell dragonfly nymphs as a Bug/Water Yanma preevo... all better than those 4.

Plus and Minus haven't been signature abilities for over a decade. Ampharos is in the game and has one of those as signatures.

If Megas are reintroduced I really hope that some glaring omissions are redressed by adding new ones. Primarily, a mega for Slowking and Milotic to match Slowbro and Gyarados
Froslass. And Galarian Mega Slowbro with its arm stuck in a giant cannon, of course!

I would think game freak must be aware of the popularity of Mega Pokemon. I mean between Pokemon go and just the reception that Mega Pokemon got in a way that Z moves and gigantamax did not get one would have to assume they understand at least that people like Mega Evolution better than their other gimmicks
The majority of TPC loves Mega Evolution, which is why they routinely show up in the Anime and Mangas even after Game Freak stopped caring about them.

The real reason we don't see them/can't use them anymore in the main series, is that they don't want their new shitty and broken mechanics to be overshadowed.

Back in Gen 6 and 7, a lot of folks would add a Mega as a period at the end. Z-Moves were common and obnoxious, but there were several teams or archetypes that didn't use them either. On the Contrary, there was a time where it was rarer to find a team without a Mega than a team without a Z-Move, particularly relevant to VGC since Game Freak pays attention to that, and that probably is what ticked them off, and made them stop the transfer of Mega Stones.

I think more than one "big feature" can exist in one game, but Game Freak clearly wants their "new thing" to get all the spotlight, and it's clear that everyone just likes Mega Evolution more.

It's weird that GF sees it as a problem when TPC doesn't, but it is possible that Game Freak decides "it's time" and adds some or all back in an Expansion Pass, if Terrastalizing has had a good chunk of team being the "super special" feature by then.

You know, you two must be onto something here because any time I asked about the soundtracks it's either been "it fucking sucks" or "it's amazing", noone has stated anything in between.

Funnily, I am actually completely blind on it, as I "played" through the game via discord stream mostly with my friend who has it, so I didn't have audio on for it, so I'll really be curious to see what it actually sounds like.

(For what matters, my friend did say that the ambience area soundtracks are kinda bland, but the boss musics bang, expecially the endgame/postgame ones)
Some songs are on YT.

Obviously, those of you who don't want spoilers, do not read the comments and use Incognito mode.

Some other nice ones:

Tbh, even if there's definitely no shortage of good music, there are also some misses and it's all par for the course. SV's soundtrack is pretty alright. Nothing to write home about. Toby Fox sounds overrated to me, but then again, I didn't bother playing Undertale.

Can't wait to experience Area Zero though. That Wild Track is on some Tekken shit.

What did BDSP do? I never even so much as looked at its general direction so I have no idea.
Remember how SwSh merged Happiness and Affection but had a soft-cap before Affection boosts kicked in that you had to use Camp to break?

BDSP didn't have the cap.

How did ILCA stop people from facerolling the game even harder?

Let me put it this way. This is Cynthia's team.
1668470796744.png

Now imagine that with optimized IVs, EVs and Nature while you'll probably won't even have a level advantage.

Just piss-poor extremist design on the boss battles.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want some EVs on them, but going that far when the players won't even have access to Mints, let alone real training?

That's some overkill and a half.

Wait, does that influence which form it evolves into?

I love the idea of 'silent' evolution though. Like suddenly you just go "Wait there's more of them now?" :pika:

Actually, it's kinda reminiscent of Shedinja just appearing in your party when Nincada evolves.
The testing in the threads I've seen has been inconclusive, with most mice results being biased towards the family of four. It seems most likely to be Wurmple-esque and decided on creation rather than by a specific action, since one of the only documented 3-family evolutions still evolved into a family of three after restarting. Three Segment Dudunsparce is looking like a similar rare situation as well.

So one Pokemon I think could be interesting with some of it's new moves and mechanics is Glaceon. Getting access to Aurora Veil, Calm Mind, Ice Body, and the boost to it's already notable Defense. Especially if the 100% accurate blizzard in snow is still a thing. Obviously it's held back by the usual problems with Eeveelutions but it could have more chance to do something than it ever has.

I know Torkoal is in the game, but do we have any sun setters besides the scarlet legendary? Both ninetails aren't in yet and neither is Groundon

So one Pokemon I think could be interesting with some of it's new moves and mechanics is Glaceon. Getting access to Aurora Veil, Calm Mind, Ice Body, and the boost to it's already notable Defense. Especially if the 100% accurate blizzard in snow is still a thing. Obviously it's held back by the usual problems with Eeveelutions but it could have more chance to do something than it ever has.
They really oughtta just give the Eeveelutions 3 Abilities at this point. Some of them are so outclassed and stuck with unhelpful Abilities that they can't be redeemed.

I do think Glaceon will be slightly better though. Off the Damage Calculator I estimated Alolan Ninetales had an uninvested 121 base Defense stat in Snow, Glaceon would definitely appreciate Snow shenanigans with the change.
I know Torkoal is in the game, but do we have any sun setters besides the scarlet legendary? Both ninetails aren't in yet and neither is Groundon
Meanwhile, Violet Paradoxes have to rely on Pinchurin. I think Scarlet's got the better deal lol.

Any confirmation on other regional forms in the base game? My understanding is Galarian Meowth can be traded with an NPC. Any more things like that pop up?

For the two mascot legendaries, I assume they only have one battle form and all the others are just for traveling in the over world.

I suspect the people playing the game won't know. Even if it's available to download right now, people won't want to advertise to Nintendo that they're leaking by trying to connect to the Mystery Gift servers.

People are doing co-op by faking a local connection using Parsec, I assume.
there was a Chinese promotional image someone posted a hundred pages ago with the flying Pikachu and a starter in the storage box. That might be all I need to figure out the Light Ball question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)